Melbourne Football

City v WU @ AAMI, Saturday 16th January, 7.10pm

Harrison

Brought forward from Sunday evening, in case anyone missed that update. 

Not too sure on the time. A-League and City sites say 6.10pm but our social media is saying 7.05pm. 

Edit: now the A-League and City sites are saying 7.10pm. I’ll go with that. 

Edited by Harrison

58 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Brought forward from Sunday evening, in case anyone missed that update. 

Not too sure on the time. A-League and City sites say 6.10pm but our social media is saying 7.05pm. 

IMO you can rest assured that this season will be chaotic, especially if any of these highly-infectious strains of the virus get out into the community. There are quarantine failures everywhere - unless these are eliminated very quickly it's only a matter of time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

IMO you can rest assured that this season will be chaotic, especially if any of these highly-infectious strains of the virus get out into the community. There are quarantine failures everywhere - unless these are eliminated very quickly it's only a matter of time.

I feel like you have a little too much faith in the stories that you are being fed by the news... 

2 hours ago, Nate said:

Was poised and ready to finally attend a Melbourne City home game, bought my membership... aaaaand they changed the date to when I'm working. 

Fmd.

Even though I was happy to renew our memberships, I'm more or less resigned to not attending at all this season. Not only because it seems unlikely that "the gang" can sit together, but also the risk posed by travelling to and from matches by train. I'm not over-impressed by the squad we have either.

16 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Even though I was happy to renew our memberships, I'm more or less resigned to not attending at all this season. Not only because it seems unlikely that "the gang" can sit together, but also the risk posed by travelling to and from matches by train. I'm not over-impressed by the squad we have either.

Your negativity astounds me sometimes jw but I do enjoy your posts none the less :up:

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I'm not over-impressed by the squad we have either.

In a COVID affected league, I'm not sure what else could be reasonably expected for our squad. City did what we've been crying out for years - kept the gang together. And for the most part made astute signings to strengthen as best they could given the current climate. 

Obviously the CB situation isnt ideal, but Windbichler left us on the cusp of the league starting, and the club are clearly just waiting until the quarantine is done before announcing anything - which is the smarter move imo.

Edited by IssySG
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Imtellingyou said:

It's a time to show that we can pack the stadium.  All 25% of it. 

It's funny we've always been complaining about this club's lack of engagement with the local community, as well as lack of success in trying to gain more members/support for the club.

Who knew the club was really just making sure that we didn't acquire too many supporters so that if a pandemic hit, we could still get our small group of supporters to games, thus ensuring not one member misses out on a home match?

Masterstroke

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, IssySG said:

In a COVID affected league, I'm not sure what else could be reasonably expected for our squad. City did what we've been crying out for years - kept the gang together. And for the most part made astute signings to strengthen as best they could given the current climate. 

This can be debatable and time will of course! Perhaps wrong thread for this long response. @JW please feel free to move to the squad thread.

We locked in our squad in very very early in the middle of the peak pandemic, we signed mostly youth, took a gamble with Nabbout, brought Benny back and locked in the services of Griffiths and Berenguer for another year. This was a calculated strategy it seems, was it really the best we could have done?

Other teams seem to have waited (or forcibly) until there was 100% clarity on Cap and player wages, even though quite late still some attractive overseas or decent Australian players managed to come to the league. 

You know I’m always fairly critical as I want us to improve the squad if possible. Some questions/doubt on my mind:

- Did we learn from last years weaknesses, could we have improved on AM visa role? We had the opportunity.

- Did we really stretch our financial firepower in the marquee department now that other teams might struggle and with the ACL in mind?

- We filled our last Visa player Spot with a player who played in the lower Japanese leagues, who on paper doesn’t fit in the starting eleven? If you keep playing Noone and Nabbout that is.

- We have to play ACL now with a squad on par or less in quality with last season, did the fans expect better reinforcements now that we finally qualified?

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

Between 3 to 5 thousand attendance, is that achievable?

No idea. I'm getting seems like a daily message urging me to get my ticket to attend so presumably all members are getting that. Whether to attend will be a personal choice made by individuals - it is my choice not to attend matches yet because I don't want to take the risk of becoming infected. Later on, and particularly after I've been vaccinated, then I'll review that decision. Others will make a different decision. I hope that it will all go smoothly and there will be no adverse consequences for anyone attending the match, and we can all gain more confidence that we really have got this thing licked here in Victoria.

We’re back at AAMI Park this Saturday for our first home match v Western United. Thank you to all our members who have already redeemed their tickets. If you have received a confirmation email from Ticketek, then this is all you need to do for now. You will receive your mobile ticket before Saturday’s match.

We understand that the impact of COVID-19 on the member ticket redemption process is frustrating and we appreciate you taking the time and effort to do it. There have been a few issues identified with Ticketek, these have all been passed on and we are working with Ticketek and AAMI Park to resolve them as soon as possible. Thank you to all the members who have alerted us to the issues.

If you are continuing to have any trouble redeeming your ticket(s), please contact
membership@melbournecityfc.com.au and our team will be in touch to help resolve any issues. Our priority is to make your matchday experience as seamless as possible.

10 hours ago, jw1739 said:

No idea. I'm getting seems like a daily message urging me to get my ticket to attend so presumably all members are getting that. Whether to attend will be a personal choice made by individuals - it is my choice not to attend matches yet because I don't want to take the risk of becoming infected. Later on, and particularly after I've been vaccinated, then I'll review that decision. Others will make a different decision. I hope that it will all go smoothly and there will be no adverse consequences for anyone attending the match, and we can all gain more confidence that we really have got this thing licked here in Victoria.

I would be more concerned about the adverse side effects of the vaccine then attending the match...

29 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

I would be more concerned about the adverse side effects of the vaccine then attending the match...

I haven't read anything regarding adverse side effects from the UK, Israel or American reports and they have been using it for a few weeks. This probably means that any adverse side effects are within normal parameters.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I haven't read anything regarding adverse side effects from the UK, Israel or American reports and they have been using it for a few weeks. This probably means that any adverse side effects are within normal parameters.

Or perhaps the news you are reading is heavily censored... 

Feeling relatively confident about this one, although there is that nagging thought in the back of my head that says they're due for a result against us.
Think Jmac is too good to not score three times in a row so im going with a 2-0 or 2-1 with JMac and Noone amongst the sausages.

Feel like a kid at Xmas on the thought of getting back to AAMI Park to watch the lads though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

Looks like it’s selling pretty well. Almost every bay is sold out and we’ve opened a few bays on the top tier as well (although they’re being sold as City Platinum weirdly). Honestly it’s looking like it could be a normal crowd for us lol

DCBAA2C7-0E36-40D4-B14B-CE647D716966.png

Bays sold out as per COVID reduced capacity?

2 hours ago, neio said:

Could Western United try any harder to make this into some sort of rivalry. 5 tweets in 24 hours with the word derby attached. 

We legitimally couldn't give a fuck about you, it's not a derby 

I don’t blame them for trying. It’s good for them, us and the league if this develops into a proper derby. Might as well try to get the word out there. 

• Haha 1