Melbourne Football

Vale Phil Hughes

Shahanga

I guess everyone has heard the depressing news that former Test Cricketer Phil Hughes as passed away as a result of the devastating blow he received on the neck whilst playing in a first class match earlier in the week.

With a likely vacancy in the team for the first test and batting well, it seemed almost certain that Hughes would get a test recall, but instead this tragedy happened.

Plenty of tributes all over the place, so i won't go into that or regurgitate his stats, but I just assumed he'd go on to play 100 test matches, as he matured and became more consistent.  Like most cricket fans, I'm simply gutted.  

Thought and prayers with his family, friends and team mates.

• Like 2

Absolute tragedy, especially at such a young age. 

It highlights how precious life can be and how much we take it for granted I guess, all he did was play the game he loved. 

Can't even begin to imagine how Sean Abbott must feel, the poor bloke.

Yep, hope hes getting looked after well. 

I know its secondary at the moment, but makes you wonder how he'll recover as a fast bowler. All fast bowlers need to have a bit of cunt in them and want to knock off the guy at the other ends head off, would be hard for him to get that aggression back. 

• Like 2

Fucking tragic. I've played cricket at a high level and the thought that you could die on the field of play is not one that you'd ever begin to imagine. Having faced and been knocked around by plenty of bowlers of the pace of Abbott it's definitely not any fun but never would you imagine it resulting in death. Such a talented player with a long career ahead of himself. Can't even begin to describe how badly this will affect all involved in the sport.

Edited by perthheart

Absolute tragedy, especially at such a young age. 

It highlights how precious life can be and how much we take it for granted I guess, all he did was play the game he loved. 

Yep, hope hes getting looked after well. 

I know its secondary at the moment, but makes you wonder how he'll recover as a fast bowler. All fast bowlers need to have a bit of cunt in them and want to knock off the guy at the other ends head off, would be hard for him to get that aggression back. 

the rumors I'm hearing is that he is under "watch" to basically insure that he doesn't take it out on himself and hurt himself.

absolute tragedy and it will change cricket forever.

the sad part is it has taken a tragic accident like this for people to realize how precious life is and how important a cricket helmet is, we have had so many phone calls and orders placed for the new masuri helmets at work today.

rest in peace phil, gone but never forgotten. forever 63 not out #408

Edited by goawayvictory

Who'd you play for perthheart?

I played district cricket for mt Lawley 15 years ago (fuck that makes me sound old)

Played for Rockingham-Mandurah. Had a few stints in the UK in Somerset and Dorset as well. Made my first grade debut against Mount Lawley at Breckler actually. Always loved bowling there. Spinners dream. Only played occasionally last few years for Tuart Hill in suburban turf after moving to North Perth and not having time to play district cricket anymore. Considering signing up for a club here after Christmas although been having big problems with my shoulder for the last year so might be a struggle.

• Like 1

Had a good innings

FWIW, this wasn't actually a joke. I meant it. He achieved more in his time than a lot of people will in their lives. The average person dies at 25 anyway, just because they aren't buried for another 50 years doesn't change that.

Edited by Tesla

Who'd you play for perthheart?

I played district cricket for mt Lawley 15 years ago (fuck that makes me sound old)

Played for Rockingham-Mandurah. Had a few stints in the UK in Somerset and Dorset as well. Made my first grade debut against Mount Lawley at Breckler actually. Always loved bowling there. Spinners dream. Only played occasionally last few years for Tuart Hill in suburban turf after moving to North Perth and not having time to play district cricket anymore. Considering signing up for a club here after Christmas although been having big problems with my shoulder for the last year so might be a struggle.

Ah you sound pretty good then. I played for Brunswick here on turf for a season but couldn't swing the ball like I used to in Perth for whatever reason and the club took training too seriously so i ended up giving it away. Got no time to play now but still miss spending a hot day out in the field.

I'd imagine less heat here would effect being able to swing the ball as much. I need to find a club that plays on turf somewhere local, can't stand playing on synthetic. Can't play a high level again though because don't have the time to train really. Is their a suburban turf league equivalent in Victoria?

As a kid Richie Richardson was my favourite cricketer because he also wore a floppy wide brimmed hat when batting no matter who the bowler or what the conditions, which makes this whole thing seems so surreal to me.

To anyone who doesn't understand the fuss... all I can say is that I was genuinely really upset when I heard Hughes had passed away and thats why I made my Facebook Status because I was sad (I still am sad) and really felt the bloke deserved the recognition for all he had done in only 25 years.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 2

Was batting his way back in to the test team in that innings. To be dropped from the national team three times and make his way back each time shows amazing character. Cricket like any sport is such a tight knit community across the globe, everyone involved in the game has been shaken by it. It's not just the fact of someone dying on the pitch it's the manner of how it happened in an action that is fundamental to the way the game is played. I don't know if cricket at least in this country will recover from this for a fair while.

Also good to see the a-league will be holding a minutes silence before each match this round.

Was my favourite Aussie test batter of the last few years, so sad. Had plenty of runs still to score for the country IMO.

The sad thing is that when we got his next go it might have been able the time he got to stay in the team for good like what Justin Langer did with his final of many shots at Test Cricket.

Edited by cadete

I'd imagine less heat here would effect being able to swing the ball as much. I need to find a club that plays on turf somewhere local, can't stand playing on synthetic. Can't play a high level again though because don't have the time to train really. Is their a suburban turf league equivalent in Victoria?

They use different balls as well.

This is the comp I played in which was on turf

http://www.vsdca.vic.cricket.com.au/common/pages/public/iv/clubs.aspx?

Kew would be closeish to you...nice white picket fences for the boundary fence and they put on an amazing spread.

Had a good innings

FWIW, this wasn't actually a joke. I meant it. He achieved more in his time than a lot of people will in their lives. The average person dies at 25 anyway, just because they aren't buried for another 50 years doesn't change that. Not your best post.

I've achieved a lot more since I turned 25 than I did before it.

Presume most of my vintage would say the same. That's a big part of what makes this so sad.

Had a good innings

FWIW, this wasn't actually a joke. I meant it. He achieved more in his time than a lot of people will in their lives. The average person dies at 25 anyway, just because they aren't buried for another 50 years doesn't change that.

Not your best post.

Presume most of my vintage would say the same. That's a big part of what makes this so sad.

Was just posting BS to try get out of the fact I came in too soon with the joke TBH :up:

• Like 1

Well, I appreciated the pun Tesla. He did have a good innings in his short 26 years. Just would've been nice to see him fulfil his destiny of being the next Bradman and live a longer innings. 

This bloke will forever be remembered as a true professional. Dropped a few times from the Test squad but never gave up. When he was dropped, he went back to basics, re-taught and established himself as a different batsman. Speaks volumes of his character and sheer determination.  

Had a good innings

Not your best post.

Was just posting BS to try get out of the fact I came in too soon with the joke TBH :up:

Why defend yourself when no one even acknowledged your first attempt?  I'm all for offensive jokes but if you're going to try offensive 'too soon' humour at least make it actually offensive or funny yeah?  :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

Coroners report in.

An accident & a tragedy.

Hard to imagine any other result.

Prior to it occurring I would have said it was inconceivable that a test batsman would die in that manner and any bowler worth his salt would be trying to mix things up a bit to stop him hitting every ball for 4 of the front foot.