Melbourne Football

Artificial Sweetner Appreciation Thread

Tesla

So you're telling me that if i wanted an energy drink without sugar... Mother is the way to go?

Mother Sugar Free - And make sure u give the can a good look over cos they look very similar to Mother Revive.

This.

Sugarfree is the silver can.

• Like 1

Coca Cola does the best everything. It's just undeniable fact. Coke is the best cola, fanta is the best orange soda, barista bros. is the best iced coffee. It's just how it is. Sugar Free Mother actually tastes better than the full strength counterpart and as tesla has mentioned, is the best in terms of a stimulate, which wins it big points.

Only thing that rivals it that I've had is normal red bull.

Generally agree, but Sunkist eclipses Fanta by a loooooong way

Agree, Fanta's been on the losing end of that one since they changed the flavour all those years ago.

• 1 month later...

Had some real coke yesterday for the first time in ages, fucking disgusting after you become accustomed to that coke zero taste. Would prefer coke zero even if it had sugar in it, GOAT non-energy non-alcoholic drink.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Not sure if it qualifies as it is low sugar rather than no sugar, but has anyone tried the new Coke Life? Having my first can of it right now. Tastes pretty bloody good tbh

Why would I settle for 33% less sugar when I can have 100% less sugar?

This shit is a scam.

• Like 1

Not sure if it qualifies as it is low sugar rather than no sugar, but has anyone tried the new Coke Life? Having my first can of it right now. Tastes pretty bloody good tbh

Why would I settle for 33% less sugar when I can have 100% less sugar?This shit is a scam.

Yeah it pretty much is, but I thought I'd try it. It uses a "natural sweetener" to play to the people who are still terrified that artificial sweeteners give you cancer basically.

• Like 1

to play to the people who are still terrified that artificial sweeteners give you cancer basically.

As opposed to the diabetes that the sugar overload in a normal coke will give them. I would love to know which is more likely out of diabetes with normal coke and cancer with zero.

Regardless wont be no diabetes for me.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Seriously 28 black sugarfree is the GOAT drink when it comes to flavour, but how the fuck it's classified as an energy drink I dunno. Granted I probably have a high tolerance, but seriously it has 0 stimulant effect.

As previously mentioned on the thread used to sink a tonne of them as I got them for free. Rank well below the rest. My preference when it come to sugar free stimulant;

mother, daylight, v, red bull, 28 black.

As previously mentioned on the thread used to sink a tonne of them as I got them for free. Rank well below the rest. My preference when it come to sugar free stimulant;

mother, daylight, v, red bull, 28 black.

You're pretty spot on but I'd say red bull is slightly ahead of v.

• 1 month later...

Is v zero new or have I just been missing it for a while? Either way it's fucking fantastic 

It's new, I tried it a few weeks ago and it tastes the same as V sugar free too me. I'm not really sure if it's a rebrand of v sugarfree or a new product. V sugarfree is still being sold but that might be old stock. 

It's new, I tried it a few weeks ago and it tastes the same as V sugar free too me. I'm not really sure if it's a rebrand of v sugarfree or a new product. V sugarfree is still being sold but that might be old stock. 

V sugar free has always had a weird aftertaste to me and I found that the zero didn't. they were stocking both at my local 7/11 so doesn't shed much light on whether or not it's being phased out or not.

• Like 1

V sugar free has always had a weird aftertaste to me and I found that the zero didn't. they were stocking both at my local 7/11 so doesn't shed much light on whether or not it's being phased out or not.

Yeah it seemed a little bit different, for example it seemed less carbonated and maybe a bit sweeter, but it was still quite similar and it's not uncommon to get a bit of variation in flavour so hard to know.

V Zero is a different product and not supposed to be a re-brand. 

They're marketing it as V Zero tatses the same as regular V but with no sugar, whereas sugar free V is supposed to have it's own unique flavor. 

Can see them phasing out sugar free though as it's shit. That's if they're not already. 

Edited by Jimmy

• 5 weeks later...

So I reckon I have a bit more insight on the V zero vs V sugar free thing. 

In case you guys didn't know, the 4 pack of small can V has been on special in Coles this week, 4.70 for over 1L is the cheapest price I've seen for V, regardless of can size (and small can is generally more expensive). Usually the best you get is $6. Today's the last day btw so still time to grab some this evening. 

Anyway, drinking it all week, I definitely thing V sugar free is inferior to V zero. But they do taste very similar IMO. 

But all week I haven't seen V zero sold in Coles, until today. So I grab the few that are there, but when they scan through they are normal price. So I obviously complain and they send someone to look up the price and there is no ticket at all. Anyway since its a product placement issue I get them for the special price even though it's not on special, but thinking about it, I have a feeling these aren't meant to be on the shelf yet, hence no ticket for them at all and no special price when scanned up. But they obviously have them in stock, possibly for an imminent launch. Combined with the unusually generous special on V this week, my best guess is that they're trying to clear out V sugarfree to be replaced by V zero. 

Of course I could be completely wrong but it makes the most sense to me. I can't see there being a market for two different sugar free Vs. Anyway, it will take a while to find out if it's true since old stock isn't sold that quickly. But if V zero starts popping up on the Coles shelf this week I reckon I'm right with my conclusion. 

Certainly seems like a marketing/branding thing. Even though my knowledge of these sorts of things is rudimentary "zero" apparently appeals more to men. V, and basically all energy drinks, definitely appeal more to a male demographic as well so the change makes sense from a marketing point of view.

Yeah that's true, it's a pretty well known fact that Coke Zero was introduced because men wouldn't buy Diet Coke. The scary thing is that going off the males and females I know, all the males prefer Coke Zero and all the females prefer Diet Coke, that's some serious fucking wizardry that Coke know how to make a taste more appealing to one gender than the other based on who they want to target.

Also the darker packaging is worth noting on all 'zero' drinks, and again with V zero. It must appeal to males more (and I agree that Coke Zero, Red Bull Zero, V Zero all look better in terms of packaging than the other sugarfree option).

Don't you guys see that this shit is worse for you than normal sugar? 

Do you not see that this whole thread is bait for people like you to come in and make posts like this so that I can then disprove you with scientific evidence?

So, if you're still man enough to play, how is it worse than normal sugar?

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

Do you not see that this whole thread is bait for people like you to come in and make posts like this so that I can then disprove you with scientific evidence?

So, if you're still man enough to play, how is it worse than normal sugar?

I was going to ask him for 5 peer reviewed journal articles but didn't bother because I've won this argument before.