Melbourne Football

New York City FC

Nate

15 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Good thing for them is they have a right to use that in this moment in time

Really. To be in finals contention you would have thought they would have atleast been a bit closer. Completely smashed and woeful defending when it really matters. 

I guess there is some sort synergy. This concept of attacking football at some point needs to be quesioned. 

4 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Really. To be in finals contention you would have thought they would have atleast been a bit closer. Completely smashed and woeful defending when it really matters. 

I guess there is some sort synergy. This concept of attacking football at some point needs to be quesioned. 

My point is in this moment in time they have a right to still use the progress excuse. Agree the score line is inexcusable though.

i think Pirlo has to go and they should spend big on a younger marquee to compliment lampard and villa who both had fine seasons, three older marquees is pushing it though, la Galaxy suffered the same fate with Keane, Gerard and cole and a few other old farts.

seattle signed a marquee from I think river plate mid season and he is destroying teams and carrying them on his own almost.

toronto appear to be The standout team, 3 marquee players in the prime of their careers in giovinco, altidore and Bradley and a well drilled support cast of talent to compliment them that play as a team.

you can't just attack and forget your defensive duties, and that's what vieira will need to work on, you can't be losing 7-0 to red bulls and then 7-0 aggregate to Toronto, they finished 2nd in the east conference so it's not like they have a bad team.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Hmm. Played their home match (12th April 2018, 4-0 win) vs. Real Salt Lake in grey jerseys with sky blue trimmings. What about "the brand?"

I think what is more relevant is how they played.

From the highlights I've seen and reports of the game, Viera has got them playing very similar style to Manchester City. Now before everyone pooh poohs City and their recent results they are still trying to play and win the "right way" IMO, which of course is another discussion entirely. They also have some good players which help, Herrera Moralez Medina and of course Villa are are all top quality. 

3 hours ago, Jovan said:

I think what is more relevant is how they played.

From the highlights I've seen and reports of the game, Viera has got them playing very similar style to Manchester City. Now before everyone pooh poohs City and their recent results they are still trying to play and win the "right way" IMO, which of course is another discussion entirely. They also have some good players which help, Herrera Moralez Medina and of course Villa are are all top quality. 

Right so if the visa spots are exempt from the cap then we could have the same quality.

fwiw I think Joyce has changed the style somewhat since the first few rounds. 

4 hours ago, Dylan said:

fwiw I think Joyce has changed the style somewhat since the first few rounds. 

Definitely, and I wasn't bagging Joyce (which I'm up for ) it was more of a general observation about NYCFC and how they have developed under Viera. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2018 at 9:51 AM, jw1739 said:

Hmm. Played their home match (12th April 2018, 4-0 win) vs. Real Salt Lake in grey jerseys with sky blue trimmings. What about "the brand?"

They've tended to ditch this aspect of the brand for the other CFG clubs. Our club was the test subject and they've seen that it's been a mostly negative response.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Young Polak said:

we were worth peanuts, made a profit from mooy, arzani the next project, dominating the W-League

These guys are still an expensive mediocre team playing in a mediocre baseball stadium

As far as ROI goes, i suspect we are winning the battle atm.

In saying that, we were 1/10th of the investment too so worth realising where you are in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 09/07/2018 at 11:59 AM, jw1739 said:

Didn't realise that Vieira had actually gone to Nice. Knew it was rumoured but had not seen it as confirmed.

Looks like he's on a hiding to nothing, losing all of his star players. Balotelli headed to Marseille, Seri and le Marchand to Fulham and Alassane Plea signed for Gladbach overnight. Gonna be a big ask replacing the 34 League goals Balotelli and Plea scored between them last season, considering they only scored 53 for the entire season.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Same as us here. When you have the option to bring in a bigger player to help you succeed wouldn't you do it? The club is capable. They have the money and resources. They willfully choose not to make the team the best it can be. And another thing,  this whole not signing a big name because they're focusing on players giving 100% is bullshit as well. They just don't want to front up the money. It gives me the shit's and is another reason im getting tired and disinterested with the club as a whole. 

4 hours ago, n i k o said:

Same as us here. When you have the option to bring in a bigger player to help you succeed wouldn't you do it? The club is capable. They have the money and resources. They willfully choose not to make the team the best it can be. And another thing,  this whole not signing a big name because they're focusing on players giving 100% is bullshit as well. They just don't want to front up the money. It gives me the shit's and is another reason im getting tired and disinterested with the club as a whole. 

It's good to read the article about NYC. With both clubs seemingly on similar tracks, it's fairly obvious that we're receiving orders from Manchester.

Attendances in New York have dropped by 24%, almost exactly the same as our drop from the high of 2016/17. Fascinating stuff.

On 15/02/2019 at 11:41 AM, n i k o said:

Yet we still fork out more money than every other club on the 1st XI bar Sydney. Perhaps more if you include the whole operation

Don't get me wrong, im not giving them a pass by any stretch, but i do think its worth having some perspective when talking about cash and how clubs choose to spend it, particularly in a league where you lose money year on end like the a league.

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Yet we still fork out more money than every other club on the 1st XI bar Sydney. Perhaps more if you include the whole operation

Don't get me wrong, im not giving them a pass by any stretch, but i do think its worth having some perspective when talking about cash and how clubs choose to spend it, particularly in a league where you lose money year on end like the a league.

@bt50 Yeh I prob overstepped my own logic there. You're probably right in theory I think, with DaLaet etc. I'd assume we have spent a decent amount on him and with Bruno on top of that, the club would be one of the biggest spenders. I say in theory because do we include Bruno in the equation seeing as he's not on the pitch? 

I've mentioned it before but I get this feeling the club don't put everything into trying to win trophies. I can't quite explain it but there's  just something off about the club and how they're going about things. I feel like with youth development, their current philosophy with the club and their ongoing stance towards FFA, winning trophies gets pulled back and the attempt to do so seems harder than it should be.

22 minutes ago, n i k o said:

@bt50 Yeh I prob overstepped my own logic there. You're probably right in theory I think, with DaLaet etc. I'd assume we have spent a decent amount on him and with Bruno on top of that, the club would be one of the biggest spenders. I say in theory because do we include Bruno in the equation seeing as he's not on the pitch? 

I've mentioned it before but I get this feeling the club don't put everything into trying to win trophies. I can't quite explain it but there's  just something off about the club and how they're going about things. I feel like with youth development, their current philosophy with the club and their ongoing stance towards FFA, winning trophies gets pulled back and the attempt to do so seems harder than it should be.

I think it stems from our expectations v the expectations of other teams in the league tbh, and the elephant in the room that is the CFG money. That applies to NYFC as well. The money is part of the lure to become a fan of one of 'our' clubs and when it doesnt appear endless like big brother, combined with poor results, we get frustrated.
I do think that CFG are withholding to a certain degree in terms of their 2nd marquee, as an incentive (or ransom if you prefer) to the FFA to let the league go independent. Now thats obv annoying af for us as fans in the here and now, but it prob makes sense if you look at it fairly and from their perspective. The FFA mode of thinking of come and invest and we'll take all the profits is a bit rich from an owner/investor point of view.

I have no doubts we are doing all we can within the parameters we have set for ourselves to win it, we just seem unable to get the mix right for whatever reason. We discuss those here at length.
The key thing is most of us cant help but see the parameters as the issue, when really those parameters are far bigger and more generous than what most of the other clubs deal with, so imo are not an excuse. We should be more than capable of winning the bloody thing with the money and advantages we already have, let alone make the fucking ACL.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I think it stems from our expectations v the expectations of other teams in the league tbh, and the elephant in the room that is the CFG money. That applies to NYFC as well. The money is part of the lure to become a fan of one of 'our' clubs and when it doesnt appear endless like big brother, combined with poor results, we get frustrated.
I do think that CFG are withholding to a certain degree in terms of their 2nd marquee, as an incentive (or ransom if you prefer) to the FFA to let the league go independent. Now thats obv annoying af for us as fans in the here and now, but it prob makes sense if you look at it fairly and from their perspective. The FFA mode of thinking of come and invest and we'll take all the profits is a bit rich from an owner/investor point of view.

I have no doubts we are doing all we can within the parameters we have set for ourselves to win it, we just seem unable to get the mix right for whatever reason. We discuss those here at length. The key thing is most of us cant help but see the parameters as the issue, when really those parameters far bigger and more generous than what most of the other clubs deal with, so imo are not an excuse. We should be more than capable of winning the bloody thing with the money and advantages we already have, let alone make the fucking ACL.

Referring to the point in bold I think that's the interesting part. What parameters are they? We signed Joyce for what purpose? He struggled at senior level but was successful at youth level. No proof he could win anything. Natural to assume that perhaps the club saw him as someone that could bring through our youth players as well as win the league? This is one of those decisions that shouldn't be an issue. It should be to win trophies. It's one of those decisions that doesnt feel right. 

Another point, it's been painfully obvious we desperately need a playmaker since Mooy. I've felt all along the club has chosen the development path with this position, signing McGree, Brattan, etc. instead of a bonafied proven playmaker. Again the club has chosen to go down a certain path with this based on the parameters they set out. It's no accident this position still hasn't been filled properly. 

Im not asking for endless money to be poured in. At the very least I understand the basics of how club finances work and am not ignoring them. Im also aware of the FFAs control over the clubs. However I'm simply asking for total ambition to win trophies. And right now I'm just not feeling this is the case with the club. 

Edited by n i k o