Melbourne Football

TTIM: Things That Irk Me

Tesla

TTIM: The misconception that Labor is a left party.

aus2013.png

TTIM: that I end up in line with the liberals on the x-axis but in line with the greens on the y-axis whenever I do a political compass. Nobody for us purples.

Move to NSW and vote for Leyonhjelm?

aus2013.png

Surely scaled to Australia? If you compare it to the ones for other countries you'll find they certainly don't match up, unless you seriously think the Liberals are more right wing than John McCain (in either axis).

And yeah I'm in the purple quadrant on these things usually as well.

The other issue with these is that it's always made by someone/s who is/are to some degree left of centre, probably even far left, so the way questions are worded it makes people answer more to the left than they probably truly would, especially regarding economic questions.

Edited by Tesla

aus2013.png

Surely scaled to Australia? If you compare it to the ones for other countries you'll find they certainly don't match up, unless you seriously think the Liberals are more right wing than John McCain (in either axis).

And yeah I'm in the purple quadrant on these things usually as well.

The other issue with these is that it's always made by someone/s who is/are to some degree left of centre, probably even far left, so the way questions are worded it makes people answer more to the left than they probably truly would, especially regarding economic questions.

I'm not sure, but I have a feeling it is scaled. FWIW John McCain was more moderate in the years leading up to his run for president, it was only in that last year that he shifted dramatically to the right.
Plucked the graph from http://www.politicalcompass.org/aus2013

Sure, he was more moderate, but he was still a hardcore neo-con. Yeah I know where it comes from, shits me every time I look at the quiz at how a lot of the economics questions are worded:

If economic globalisation is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations.    

Who the fuck is going to disagree with that? No one. But many people would certainly say the interests of 'trans-national corporations' and humanity are quite aligned when it comes to globalisation.

It is regrettable that many personal fortunes are made by people who simply manipulate money and contribute nothing to their society.

Again, a hard one to disagree with, but again many people would argue that 'simply manipulat{ing} money' contributes a great deal to society. Frankly, it contributes to society more than what most people do working some BS menial job, but that's a different discussion. Point is the questions are clearly designed to elicit a certain type of response that would put people on the left side of the spectrum.

TLDR: Left wing propaganda. Fold the website.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2

Sure, he was more moderate, but he was still a hardcore neo-con. Yeah I know where it comes from, shits me every time I look at the quiz at how a lot of the economics questions are worded:

If economic globalisation is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations.    

Who the fuck is going to disagree with that? No one. But many people would certainly say the interests of 'trans-national corporations' and humanity are quite aligned when it comes to globalisation.

It is regrettable that many personal fortunes are made by people who simply manipulate money and contribute nothing to their society.

Again, a hard one to disagree with, but again many people would argue that 'simply manipulat{ing} money' contributes a great deal to society. Frankly, it contributes to society more than what most people do working some BS menial job, but that's a different discussion. Point is the questions are clearly designed to elicit a certain type of response that would put people on the left side of the spectrum.

TLDR: Left wing propaganda. Fold the website.

Questions worded with a left bias certainly, but bit rough calling it propaganda if there are also links to reading material for those right wing inclined

TTIM: Catholicism.

Explain??? 

Reference to your posts  :up:

And just to add my 2 cents to that discussion, Catholics are hardly a demographic that are discriminated against nor have they been that in the past, to the degree that you describe in Australia.
N.B: Not the only religious following I disagree with but the post was intended to rustle your jimmies. 

TTIM: ATO

This. Have to lodge a tax return over a fucking dollar withheld by PAYG. :droy: ffs

Edited by CALZALOL

Explain??? 

And just to add my 2 cents to that discussion, Catholics are hardly a demographic that are discriminated against nor have they been that in the past, to the degree that you describe.
N.B: Not the only religious following I disagree with but the post was intended to rustle your jimmies.

In cadetes defence, as a catholic, the older generations bombard us with anecdotal evidence of how shit things were. Particularly being Catholics in England and it seems to be the same here. 

• Like 1

aus2013.png

Honestly you have to question who put the greens in the bottom left. As I see it the are the most authoritarian of all those parties. Seem to want a rule for every bloody thing and a lengthy process of red tape for anyone who even wants to cross the street.  Bet you if they asked the greens their policies on free markets and government intervention in business you'd see a different story.

i do fundamentally agree though that the difference between lib and Alp is not as strong as many people think. 

• Like 1

TTIM: religion, religious discussion and religion

Well you won't presumably  mind cadete banging on about the political implications he sees in being identified as a catholic then, because that's not a religious discussion. Now if he gave us a diatribe on the theological differences between Catholicism and Protestantism, that would be a religious discussion (if someone replied).

• Like 2

Explain??? 

And just to add my 2 cents to that discussion, Catholics are hardly a demographic that are discriminated against nor have they been that in the past, to the degree that you describe in Australia.

TTIM: ATO

This. Have to lodge a tax return over a fucking dollar withheld by PAYG. :droy: ffs

Seriously you really need to read a history book mate but you are talking absolute uneducated crap...

Catholics were excluded from many elements of society in the early days, the Mason Movement was indeed big until the late 1950's and in fact in some cases Catholics were passed over for selection at certain VFL clubs which is something that would sound very familiar to you. 

Many including my own Grandfather were no longer allowed into a ALP Branch Meeting purely because they were Catholic.

Well you won't presumably  mind cadete banging on about the political implications he sees in being identified as a catholic then, because that's not a religious discussion. Now if he gave us a diatribe on the theological differences between Catholicism and Protestantism, that would be a religious discussion (if someone replied).

The politics behind religion is even worse

The politics behind religion is even worse

I meet and see lot more politically dogmatic and fanatical Atheists these days than I do Religious people...

Edited by cadete

TTIM: People who like and share those stupid things on Facebook like  "Bet you cant name a city that starts with the letter M- Like and share if you can", or a picture of a VCR player with "Like and share if you remember what this is"

'Only 90's kids will remember this' most annoying one IMO

• Like 2

TTIM: People who like and share those stupid things on Facebook like  "Bet you cant name a city that starts with the letter M- Like and share if you can", or a picture of a VCR player with "Like and share if you remember what this is"

I have a Facebook friend  from high-school who relentlessly posts those! Yes, we used to have to look up phone numbers in the white pages and we couldnt use the phone while someone was on the internet. I dont know why you feel the need to remind everyone on a daily basis

• Like 1

I have a Facebook friend  from high-school who relentlessly posts those! Yes, we used to have to look up phone numbers in the white pages and we couldnt use the phone while someone was on the internet. I dont know why you feel the need to remind everyone on a daily basis

While we're on this topic,

I'm old enough to remember the era of not everyone having a mobile phone, but wasn't old enough to actually experience it as by the time I was a teen the age of mobile proliferation had well and truly begun. So I really struggle to understand how society functioned without mobile phones. Like you're meeting up with someone and just had to hope they make it there on time? Such a lol. I do remember extensive use of public phones, and using them a bit myself, but it still seems like such an inferior system I really dont understand how we got by. They don't even have a number you can call the public phone on like you see in US TV shows and movies, that would have made them a lot better.

Don't get me wrong, 90% of the time I wish I didn't have a mobile phone and people would just fucking leave me alone, but still it seems so impossible that people used to live like that.

I'm old enough to remember the era of not everyone having a mobile phone, but wasn't old enough to actually experience it as by the time I was a teen the age of mobile proliferation had well and truly begun. So I really struggle to understand how society functioned without mobile phones. Like you're meeting up with someone and just had to hope they make it there on time? Such a lol. I do remember extensive use of public phones, and using them a bit myself, but it still seems like such an inferior system I really dont understand how we got by. They don't even have a number you can call the public phone on like you see in US TV shows and movies, that would have made them a lot better.

Don't get me wrong, 90% of the time I wish I didn't have a mobile phone and people would just fucking leave me alone, but still it seems so impossible that people used to live like that.

It is pretty weird to think about it. If you watch TV shows or movies made before mobiles became the norm, so many of them would not have happened had they had mobiles. 

tesla, you may find this hard to believe but when I was kid (70s) our neighbours didn't even have a landline (people would call us for them, true story).

(Cadete will be interested to know they were catholic, leastways the kids went to a catholic school)

• Like 1

TTIM: Facebook philosophers, who apparently have the world figured out, except for their own fucking lives of course.

If you're broke, uneducated, and work some menial job, what could you possibly teach me about life?

For real, sort your own life out before trying to fix the world.

10/10

TTIM: Facebook philosophers, who apparently have the world figured out, except for their own fucking lives of course.

If you're broke, uneducated, and work some menial job, what could you possibly teach me about life?

Even if you did have your life completely sorted out and have you do have something to teach me, I am sure as shit not going to take you seriously if you are using status updates, memes and links to highly questionable "news" websites to teach me shit

• Like 1

Even if you did have your life completely sorted out and have you do have something to teach me, I am sure as shit not going to take you seriously if you are using status updates, memes and links to highly questionable "news" websites to teach me shit

This is why I hate Twitter... for non famous PPL or Media PPL it is Facebook but only this part of Facebook.

Best of luck with that Shahanga.  My advice is to listen to the doctors and don't trust how your own body feels.  My felt fine, injured it again.  Fine again, injured again, etc.

thanks for that. Well I shelved this year's marathon, for starters. I intend to be conservative. When I first injured it I thought it was just a niggle, but quickly realised it was a lot worSe than that. 2 weeks in and I can walk without pain.

TTIM: Commercial "naming" of stadiums. Even if I knew what "CBUS Super" meant it wouldn't make a jot of difference to my life.

my all time favourite is 1300SMILES Stadium in Townsville

Edited by Nate
  • Like 4