Melbourne Football

TTIM: Things That Irk Me

Tesla

8 hours ago, haz said:

TTIM: Being a white Australian male and not eligible for any scholarships from university. 

6 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Friend of mine works at Melb Uni and they have scholarships which are awarded to extremely bright students without any reference to hardship or ethnicity.

Malcolm's son also got a scholarship to Yale of merit.

11 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Friend of mine works at Melb Uni and they have scholarships which are awarded to extremely bright students without any reference to hardship or ethnicity.

Tell that to the RMIT Engineering Department

Edited by haz

33 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

The amount of women who wear active wear but are not active 

Its a tricky situation, because on one hand it is really good to look at, on the other hand sometimes I want to gouge my eyes out

• Like 1

16 hours ago, haz said:

TTIM: Being a white Australian male and not eligible for any scholarships from university. 

That's the least of your worries, the way things are going by the time you graduate all large corporations and the public service will have a 'no white males' policy. They're already completely upfront about the fact the discriminate against white males but you probably still have some sort of chance if you're 10 times better than the 'diverse' applicant, but who knows how long that will last.

2 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

The amount of women who wear active wear but are not active 

Come on man, thats like saying fat blokes can't wear tracksuits. 

The fatter you are the more likely the only thing you can wear is a tracky.

29 minutes ago, Tesla said:

That's the least of your worries, the way things are going by the time you graduate all large corporations and the public service will have a 'no white males' policy. They're already completely upfront about the fact the discriminate against white males but you probably still have some sort of chance if you're 10 times better than the 'diverse' applicant, but who knows how long that will last.

Europe doesnt have this problem (yet!) so it shouldnt be too bad.

I went to an indigenous high school so I know the pain.

37 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Come on man, thats like saying fat blokes can't wear tracksuits. 

The fatter you are the more likely the only thing you can wear is a tracky.

Trackies are fine, they are not skin tight like active wear.

Some women believe it shows off there 'curves' and damm well, they have too much curve to fit in one pair of active wear.

8 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Trackies are fine, they are not skin tight like active wear.

Some women believe it shows off there 'curves' and damm well, they have too much curve to fit in one pair of active wear.

I rather like the flat-chested look. Sort of "overgrown schoolgirl " thing. First girl I fell for was like that. Faded memories, broken hearts.

1 hour ago, thisphantomfortress said:

TTIM people trying to stop legitimate health campaigns because it makes them reflect on their bad choices

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/01/award-winning-comedian-accuses-cancer-research-fat-shaming-launching/

My sentiments exactly. This campaign is suppose to shock people into doing something, however people are simply too delicate and certainly unaccountable with their decisions. 

7 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

TTIM people trying to stop legitimate health campaigns because it makes them reflect on their bad choices

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/01/award-winning-comedian-accuses-cancer-research-fat-shaming-launching/

Moment I clicked on the link, I see the bitch's face and go 'Ah that explains it'.

Legit looks like the person who would crack the shits at you for not thinking she is attractive in sports tights

On 05/03/2018 at 8:18 PM, Tesla said:

What does completely upfront mean?

Where have you seen such statements from the Public Service/Companies about White Males.

It be illegal if they did - This country has an Equal Opportunity Act.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cadete said:

What does completely upfront mean?

Where have you seen such statements from the Public Service/Companies about White Males.

It be illegal if they did - This country has an Equal Opportunity Act.

While most are just "we're an equal opportunity employer blah blah", I actually have seen some that admit preference will be given to aboriginals/LGBTI/Women/etc. I should have applied and then checked out if I can sue them because that sure as hell sounds like discrimination to me.

As for just Aboriginals, almost everyone admits they'll be given preference so I'm guessing there is some sort of law that allows this positive discrimination, not just jobs but for everything. I let that one slide though since there really aren't many in Melbourne.

I'm all for equal opportunity but when you give preference to certain groups, or worst of all have quotas, that is no longer equal opportunity that's discrimination against people not in those groups.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tesla said:

While most are just "we're an equal opportunity employer blah blah", I actually have seen some that admit preference will be given to aboriginals/LGBTI/Women/etc. I should have applied and then checked out if I can sue them because that sure as hell sounds like discrimination to me.

As for just Aboriginals, almost everyone admits they'll be given preference so I'm guessing there is some sort of law that allows this positive discrimination, not just jobs but for everything. I let that one slide though since there really aren't many in Melbourne.

I'm all for equal opportunity but when you give preference to certain groups, or worst of all have quotas, that is no longer equal opportunity that's discrimination against people not in those groups.

Yea its an interesting topic. In highschool there were heaps of 'aborginal only' apprenticeships (none were ever filled).

Then you have that initiative where alot of indigenous familes got brand new Hilux 4WDs. I dont think this is what equality is.

3 hours ago, haz said:

Yea its an interesting topic. In highschool there were heaps of 'aborginal only' apprenticeships (none were ever filled).

Then you have that initiative where alot of indigenous familes got brand new Hilux 4WDs. I dont think this is what equality is.

Anti Landcruiser bastards!

TTIM: The comments on this article

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/local/wp/2018/03/06/he-was-being-a-little-bully-video-shows-father-punishing-his-10-year-old-with-run-in-the-rain/?utm_term=.0bae50c45aed

-'He might get sick from the rain' etc. FMD

EDIT: The same article from a different source (Sort comments from 'Worst Rated')

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5465611/Father-makes-son-run-school-bullying-kids-bus.html

-' Not impressed. This has future school shooter written all over it. ' lolololol FMD x2

Not to mention all the 'Snowflake' comments which are just as bad. FMD x3

Edited by haz

Going many years back a mate of mines dad was a bricklayer. He used to pick up my mate from soccer training and his little truck was always full of tools and shit especially the passenger seat,  so much so that no one could fit in. Anyway this bloke would rock up to club to pick up his son from training, chuck his bag on the back somewhere and then make him jog home while he drove next to him.

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HeartFc said:

Fkn hell if thats considered harsh parenting the lefties would have a attack heart at my dads collection 20 years ago. 

10 hours ago, Jovan said:

Going many years back a mate of mines dad was a bricklayer. He used to pick up my mate from soccer training and his little truck was always full of tools and shit especially the passenger seat,  so much so that no one could fit in. Anyway this bloke would rock up to club to pick up his son from training, chuck his bag on the back somewhere and then make him jog home while he drove next to him.

The school shooter comments are what made me laugh

On 07/03/2018 at 1:19 AM, Tesla said:

It's not discrimination...

Being "Openly Upfront" like if they proclaimed they are in saying that are "against hiring White Males" is discrimination.

Quotas I agree are however are a grey area up for debate.

• Confused 1

50 minutes ago, cadete said:

It's not discrimination...

Being "Openly Upfront" like if they proclaimed they are in saying that are "against hiring White Males" is discrimination.

Quotas I agree are however are a grey area up for debate.

It's 100% discrimination if you are picking someone on a basis of immutable characteristics rather than merit. I don't think there's any grey in quotas whatsoever tbh.

• Like 3

To those who think that any position/appointment etc. reserved for a person based on aboriginality etc. is not discrimination, just change the wording so that is reserved for a "white" person, when it will be determined as discrimination loud and clear although it's actually no different.

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

It's 100% discrimination if you are picking someone on a basis of immutable characteristics rather than merit. I don't think there's any grey in quotas whatsoever tbh.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

To those who think that any position/appointment etc. reserved for a person based on aboriginality etc. is not discrimination, just change the wording so that is reserved for a "white" person, when it will be determined as discrimination loud and clear although it's actually no different.

The only quotas I believe should exist are those for Aboriginal PPL and I am generally very negative when it comes to Positive Discrimination.

It's easy in Victoria to say these things about Aboriginal Benefits... however having living in the west I can tell you that the trails and hardships that you see many Aboriginal PPL have to conquer just to be suitable for many such offered positions offers a much clearer prospective.

The fact is you complain about how this Positive Discrimination for Aboriginal PPL exists yet the stats in regards to Poverty, Illness and Crime in the Aboriginal Community are still horrendous and not changing.

Alongside this we live in one of the best countries in the world (I'm a patriotic type and would probably argue the best) yet a large part our indigenous population are living in third world like circumstances.

Internationally this is seen by other nations as a immense abnormally to how they view Australia as a Liberal Democracy. If we have Positive Discrimination for an issue of this magnitude this is still not making really any real noticeable inroads into what nobody can deny is a problem then really what harm is done?

The fact is even a Racist (For the wrong reasons) will agree there are massive problems in the Aboriginal Community so giving somebody the opportunity to get a job that enables them to provide an example of how others can join the Greater middle class.

Edited by cadete

33 minutes ago, cadete said:

The only quotas I believe should exist are those for Aboriginal PPL and I am generally very negative when it comes to Positive Discrimination.

It's easy in Victoria to say these things about Aboriginal Benefits... however having living in the west I can tell you that the trails and hardships that you see many Aboriginal PPL have to conquer just to be suitable for many such offered positions offers a much clearer prospective.

The fact is you complain about how this Positive Discrimination for Aboriginal PPL exists yet the stats in regards to Poverty, Illness and Crime in the Aboriginal Community are still horrendous and not changing.

Alongside this we live in one of the best countries in the world (I'm a patriotic type and would probably argue the best) yet a large part our indigenous population are living in third world like circumstances.

Internationally this is seen by other nations as a immense abnormally to how they view Australia as a Liberal Democracy. If we have Positive Discrimination for an issue of this magnitude this is still not making really any real noticeable inroads into what nobody can deny is a problem then really what harm is done?

The fact is even a Racist (For the wrong reasons) will agree there are massive problems in the Aboriginal Community so giving somebody the opportunity to get a job that enables them to provide an example of how others can join the Greater middle class.

Just to clarify. I'm not complaining about it. As in the western U.S where I witnessed quotas for American Indians (Indigenous Americans if you wish), it is often necessary to have some quotas so that marginalised people have at least a chance of getting mainstream. All I'm saying is that it needs to be recognised for what it is.

1 hour ago, cadete said:

As per JW im not necessarily criticizing either, but its clearly discrimination no matter which way you dress it up.

The aboriginal issue is really a complicated one and tbh i dont think anyone has a concrete solution. There seems to be a definite tendency, generalisation as that is, to not take any responsibility for actions, or lack there of and a preference to blame external forces that isnt consistent perhaps with the rest of the population.
Obviously many of those problems were initiated by the White Australia and Stolen Generation policies, but in many cases that's at least two generations ago now so there has to be a degree of looking inward.I do think as a population we owe it to every Australian, indigenous or otherwise to strive to be the best we can be, for the betterment of everyone so obviously getting our indigenous population back on their feet is a national responsibility.

What's the answer to that? Who the fuck knows. I certainly dont. I definitely don't think however that its continuously giving more cash and things without merit though, because it a - encourages the victim mentality that is so cancerous in those communities, b ) breeds resentment from those outside that are missing out on earnt opportunities and c ) doesn't do anything do promote self worth or growth of skills for the indigenous communities.

IMO the solution has to rely on trying to integrate into the communities at an almost permanent basis that can lead the way for each individual family. Focus specifically on teaching self respect, 'bearing your own cross' so to speak and striving for the best for you and your family, because its certainly better than the hell that you fall into by not attempting.That's expensive, and has also been tried and failed, so it obviously needs to be tailor made to an even greater degree. It's one of the modern world's toughest problems.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Just to clarify. I'm not complaining about it. As in the western U.S where I witnessed quotas for American Indians (Indigenous Americans if you wish), it is often necessary to have some quotas so that marginalised people have at least a chance of getting mainstream. All I'm saying is that it needs to be recognised for what it is.

Yeah, I understand your point that these days some people are so Politically Biased they can't even accept that things they agree with still fit under certain labels.

8 hours ago, bt50 said:

So in theory, I could sue to get a uni scholarship that is only offered to refugess or aboriginals?

8 hours ago, cadete said:

Ross Gittins in the last 10 days wrote an article that there is an emerging aboriginal middle class. Did not get a chance to read it unfortunately.

6 hours ago, bt50 said:

As per JW im not necessarily criticizing either, but its clearly discrimination no matter which way you dress it up.

The aboriginal issue is really a complicated one and tbh i dont think anyone has a concrete solution. There seems to be a definite tendency, generalisation as that is, to not take any responsibility for actions, or lack there of and a preference to blame external forces that isnt consistent perhaps with the rest of the population.
Obviously many of those problems were initiated by the White Australia and Stolen Generation policies, but in many cases that's at least two generations ago now so there has to be a degree of looking inward.I do think as a population we owe it to every Australian, indigenous or otherwise to strive to be the best we can be, for the betterment of everyone so obviously getting our indigenous population back on their feet is a national responsibility.

What's the answer to that? Who the fuck knows. I certainly dont. I definitely don't think however that its continuously giving more cash and things without merit though, because it a - encourages the victim mentality that is so cancerous in those communities, b ) breeds resentment from those outside that are missing out on earnt opportunities and c ) doesn't do anything do promote self worth or growth of skills for the indigenous communities.

IMO the solution has to rely on trying to integrate into the communities at an almost permanent basis that can lead the way for each individual family. Focus specifically on teaching self respect, 'bearing your own cross' so to speak and striving for the best for you and your family, because its certainly better than the hell that you fall into by not attempting.That's expensive, and has also been tried and failed, so it obviously needs to be tailor made to an even greater degree. It's one of the modern world's toughest problems.

Way back in the middle of last century African American musicians agitated for blind auditioning into the NY Philharmonic on the grounds of discrimination - that august institution fought long and hard on the grounds that all of their musicians were there on talent and that they were not good enough. Eventually the NYP were forced to hold blind auditions and in the first year 1/3 of musicians hired were African American.A decade later the NYP about half of the musicians  were women. If anyone gets a chance to read a bio of Paul Robeson you won't regret it or a doco on Nina Simone.

As for Aboriginal poverty to me is as a complicated question as those non-aboriginals who have been poor from generation to generation. Part of me says that the problem is role models and I am not talking about sports stars (and they do have a role to play). I am talking about parents, uncles/aunties, neighbours, people they see everyday. So if there are no role models or the only role models they have are negative then it takes an almighty leap to get out. As an example, crime/petty thug families exist from generation to generation - how come they don't break out of the cycle?

Way back in the late 80s I was in the Pilbara and the Roeburne council spent approximately $2500 on Karratha which was predominantly white but less than $900 on Roeburne which was predominantly Aboriginal. So when I read that they are getting extra money I actually wonder whether anyone has done all the accounting.

However, there is one thing I am almost certain of - small isolated rural/regional communities will not survive (irrespective of ethnicity) unless the government gives them loads of money. The non-aboriginal rural population have Barnaby Joyce and the Nationals to give them millions so I am not affronted when they get some.

10 hours ago, cadete said:

Having spent many years of my life in the top end and Kimberley I know what you’re talking about re Aboriginal poverty. It’s all too real and the actual levels have to be seen to be believed. 

The only people who have easy solutions though are the ones who don’t know anything about it.

the main problem I have with positive discrimination for aboriginals is thst there is nothing stopping some middle class person in suburbia who considers themselves aboriginal claiming it. It needs to be reserved for the people who actually need the help. Thst happens I’m happy.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Shahanga said:

the main problem I have with positive discrimination for aboriginals is thst there is nothing stopping some middle class person in suburbia who considers themselves aboriginal claiming it. It needs to be reserved for the people who actually need the help. Thst happens I’m happy.

All too true.

the worst part is that you can't accuse them of not being aboriginal.

I still remember the pastey white ranga playing for the indigenous all stars a few years ago