Melbourne Football

TTIM: Things That Irk Me

Tesla

Always dangerous to debate generalisations, but I would say that when the term "Western values" is used it is really a surrogate for "what I think my personal values are." I'll avoid the phrase "most people" and say that "many people" are naturally conservative, and grow more so as they age, and they don't like change unless they can see that that change will definitively benefit them personally. I think that every one of the usual "hot button" topics can be boiled down to a resistance to change.

5 hours ago, cadete said:

I agree with your point on certain people accepting things from very left leaning media outlets, yet make stupid statements when elements of the more conservative media say things no even near as bias.

In saying that I dont think its just the media... its very abundant that the Conservative part of the Liberal Party is very out of touch with Modern Australia and I think a major reason for this is that they have become too insular stuck trying to maintain the past rather than appeal to electorate.

Its like how the US the Democrats on the other hand have the other problem of being so annoyed by Trump that they have become so insular that they attempting to force change and thus to progressive for their electorate. In both cases each party in needs to try be elected, which means becoming more relevant to the people.

But my point I feel still remain that "Western Values" have been changing since the dawn of time so trying to prevent a societies "Values" from changing in a futile cause. 

This is evident from trying to provide a definition of what "The West" itself is and what "Western Values" even are as the values from all Societies including Western European have made massive deviations since the dawn of time. 

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Always dangerous to debate generalisations, but I would say that when the term "Western values" is used it is really a surrogate for "what I think my personal values are." I'll avoid the phrase "most people" and say that "many people" are naturally conservative, and grow more so as they age, and they don't like change unless they can see that that change will definitively benefit them personally. I think that every one of the usual "hot button" topics can be boiled down to a resistance to change.

Or is it a case of "look over there!!!!" ?

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, jw1739 said:

TTIM: The new PTV web-site. What fuckwit designed this heap of shit? Too many clicks to find what you want, and timetables occupy far too much space on the screen.

Under the "More" dropdown menu. You can revert back to the old site

4 hours ago, haz said:

Under the "More" dropdown menu. You can revert back to the old site

Indeed, I saw that, but elsewhere it says that the old site will be maintained for a few more weeks - i.e. not indefinitely.

I've just gone though the same thing with Bendigo Bank.

I eventually manage of course, but I just don't need the hassle at my age.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Indeed, I saw that, but elsewhere it says that the old site will be maintained for a few more weeks - i.e. not indefinitely.

I've just gone though the same thing with Bendigo Bank.

I eventually manage of course, but I just don't need the hassle at my age.

Just walk everywhere, problem solved :up:

On 23/12/2018 at 9:00 PM, jw1739 said:

TTIM: Those "Big M" adverts being splashed over replays of City goals.

There is only 1 place Big M should be splashed.

Over the tits of a hot women on a poster outside your local fish and chips shop like in the late 70s, early 80s!

Come at me Feminists!

TTIM - #savehakeem
there was a banner at one our of home games late last year I think and nobody gave a shit about it, now every cunts posting about it and trying to make themselves look good for posting it
media been very slack on it and only now are going nuts on it

Edited by Thrillhouse

On 23/01/2019 at 9:57 PM, jw1739 said:

TTIM: The new PTV web-site. What fuckwit designed this heap of shit? Too many clicks to find what you want, and timetables occupy far too much space on the screen.

Yeah it's trash, probably paid $2m+ for it too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/02/2019 at 1:12 PM, HeartFc said:

Thats why I jumped ship...

interior.thumb.jpg.2dd71bad6e34e1024a271de8b869249f.jpgfixedw_large_4x.thumb.jpg.59f08885dbd90b8d43ac17079dd08fc8.jpgClemJonesPromenade_20160720_Wide.jpg.49b77faead6f1d8001113b3ac25fcc11.jpg1.jpg.94a066071dcb9969abdc9fb1ec434b19.jpgBrisbane-Getaway_2.thumb.jpg.ff78cbd05ea8150aaf768067fc32c4c6.jpg

Mate, you can't fool me, I was there recently. Saw all the things in your photos in the first half a day. By the 3rd day I dudnt want to leave my hotel, nothing to see or do. Brisbane is okay, but a large pissant town none the less.

Australia only has 2 cities.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Mate, you can't fool me, I was there recently. Saw all the things in your photos in the first half a day. By the 3rd day I dudnt want to leave my hotel, nothing to see or do. Brisbane is okay, but a large pissant town none the less.

Yep. Melbourne and Ballarat. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tesla said:

I'm not sure what "see" and "do" even means these days. I'm not really an expresso martini with the girls on Wednesday night, type guy. I'd rather jump in my van and go camping, hiking or swimming at up Noosa. 

I rocked up not knowing a single person here, thats how much I hated Melbourne when I left. Once you get a job, a few friends and get to know the best parts of Brisbane its so much better than Melbourne and Sydney. The lifestyle is unreal and cost of living is at least 20% cheaper. You can get 2 bedder Luxury apartment with pool/gym for $450 a week, 15 min walk into the city/south bank. Decent restaurants close by, 20 km river side bike path at your door step and basically no traffic (besides peak hour). The best thing is the laxness of casual rule breaking eg.. getting busted for Airbnbing your place in peak season. That'll get you blacklisted in Melbourne, not here.

It takes a little getting used to coz the people are a little different. Essentially the city has 3 types of people. Outer suburb super bogans who stab anything that moves, boring middle class suburbanites who never leave their air conned living rooms and super polite inner city anglos who think Melbourne is Paris. 

This is not change of city, this is a change of lifestyle. Full stop. 

FWIW I don't think I'll live in Brisbane long term, I got my eye on the Sunshine coast hinterlands. It truly is god's country up in those mountains. 

• Like 2

Strikes me as a pretty stupid debate. If ever a bloke needed a change, based on his forum posts, it was @HeartFc

He made the chAnge and found what he was looking for. That’s fantastic.

As to @Teslas view well yeah, but then I think the same of all Australian cities. They are places you live, not places you visit.

Growing up on the Goldie you occasionally came across relocated Melbourneites who couldn’t seem to handle the fact they had moved somewhere different only to find out it was, well, different and bizarrely thought that was something to complain about (and perhaps fix), when what they really needed to do was just move back to their old safe world.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Growing up on the Goldie you occasionally came across relocated Melbourneites who couldn’t seem to handle the fact they had moved somewhere different only to find out it was, well, different and bizarrely thought that was something to complain about (and perhaps fix), when what they really needed to do was just move back to their old safe world.

I actually went through patches of that and I was tempted to throw in the towel. I was pretty smart about it and I decided to get a job as a Brisbane based Victorian sales rep which allowed me to travelled back to Melbourne once a month. It allowed me to weigh things up and it well and truly cemented my decision to stay up here. 

I miss plenty of things about Melbourne but overall I love the laid back lifestyle up here. I'm a fucking slob at heart.

Edited by HeartFc
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, mus-28 said:

TTIM: cooked up a nice butter chicken last night. All the dishes were washed, rubbish put in the bin outside. 17 hours later the house still smells like a United servo.

That's why most wog houses have a kitchen in the garage. 

Peppers,fish etc etc. The funk lasts for weeks. 

• Like 1

TTIM: Polyethylene panels used for cladding on domestic buildings.

IMO this stuff should be banned. I have building going on next to my place and they are putting this stuff on the upper storey. Did the same across the road about 3 years ago. When they cut it with a handsaw the particles go everywhere. All over my place today and it's impossible to clean up. Eventually when it rains the whole lot will enter the stormwater system and find its way into the Bay.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

TTIM : People taking advantage of the Christchurch events to spew so much irrational leftist propaganda that's irrelevant to the events that have happened.

Eg, Apparently the reason this all happened in 2019 in NZ is because John Howard won the 2001 election in Australia???

If anything these events should show the pitfalls of irrational, hypocritical, and opportunistic politics.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tesla said:

TTIM : People taking advantage of the Christchurch events to spew so much irrational leftist propaganda that's irrelevant to the events that have happened.

Eg, Apparently the reason this all happened in 2019 in NZ is because John Howard won the 2001 election in Australia???

If anything these events should show the pitfalls of irrational, hypocritical, and opportunistic politics.

There's certainly a great deal of hypocrisy on view. Which IMO will only serve to fuel the likelihood of similar events occurring in the future.

4 hours ago, Tesla said:

The best part is the left linking this disgusting act to Trump and any critic of the doctrine of Islam. Convenient and suits the narrative.

Now try and get them to link violent jihad to the core teachings of Islam. They won't do it even though its writing down, practiced and preached.

Speaking of preaching.. OOPS: https://www.newshub.co.nz/nznews/christchurch-mosque-linked-to-alqaida-suspect-2014060417

Not justifying that sick fuck's actions but why hasn't this been reported on the mainstream media..?  Seems a pretty important talking point if you ask me. 

15 hours ago, HeartFc said:

The best part is the left linking this disgusting act to Trump and any critic of the doctrine of Islam. Convenient and suits the narrative.

Now try and get them to link violent jihad to the core teachings of Islam. They won't do it even though its writing down, practiced and preached.

Speaking of preaching.. OOPS: https://www.newshub.co.nz/nznews/christchurch-mosque-linked-to-alqaida-suspect-2014060417

Not justifying that sick fuck's actions but why hasn't this been reported on the mainstream media..?  Seems a pretty important talking point if you ask me. 

Every mosque ever has been linked to every terrorist organisation, that's a part of the problematic targeting of Australian Muslims which makes us vulnerable.

21 hours ago, Tesla said:

19 hours ago, jw1739 said:

There's certainly a great deal of hypocrisy on view. Which IMO will only serve to fuel the likelihood of similar events occurring in the future.

Terrorism as a political philosophy was defined by 19th century russian revolutionaries not connected to the Bolsheviks. For terrorism to flourish the seeds are sown much much earlier. This is why in the USA in the 60s the Black Panthers were a more serious threat but the Symbiose Liberation Army was a dangerous non-entity. One of the debates regarding Hitler was the tolerance of his views by the mainstream right wing parties that enabled the Nazis to proceed apace. Some academics believe that if Gustav Stressman had not died of a stroke he may have been able to contain the maelstrom (I don't subscribe to that view). This is why the mainstream parties have had a tacit understanding of not tolerating the extremes. It was Malcolm Fraser who opposed Howard with respect to race. Howard toned down twice - the first time when he lost the opposition leadership and the second time after the Cronulla riots.

Will it happen again? Yes. Why? because the seeds have been planted and the security agencies instead of focusing on terrorism per se, they have focused only on Moslems. Can it be stopped? Yes. But the political fight will be strenuous.

9 hours ago, jeffplz said:

Every mosque ever has been linked to every terrorist organisation, that's a part of the problematic targeting of Australian Muslims which makes us vulnerable.

They're linked for a reason using evidence, they're not just linked for the fuck of it. Are you saying every mosque in the world has been wrongfully linked on the bases of that fake word, "Islamophobia" ? The fact that so many are linked is the whole point, there is major issue which needs to be addressed. I'd argue the doctrine and interpretation of Islam is problematic.

Here is why I brought up that article:

The mosque in Christchurch had radical links, radical links lead to terrorists, terrorist kill innocent people and this creates opposing terrorists which then walk into mosques and kill innocent Muslims. Not only do the right wing terrorists kill Muslims but at the same time they bait the left wing to blame and alienate any genuine critic of Islam. This is designed to anger the fringe radical right wingers and tempt them to join the fight. Terrorist blow back on both sides will end in civil war. A civil war which could wipe most Muslims in the Western world. 

I'm actually trying to warn innocent law abiding Westernised Muslims (so 99% of em)  to do something about their communities. Speak out, protest, boycott etc. I don't want to hear this bullshit that its not your responsibility as a Muslim. Yes it fucking is. Your religion is either fucked up or its been hijacked and turned into a fucked religion by a small %.. why would you not want to talk about this and fix it?

Here's an example of what I mean: My mother was treated like absolute shit within our Church by "Loving Christians". She was bullied so badly that she ended up in hospital as she had a heart condition which flared up. I was so fuckin angry I wanted to lob bricks into the church. I came to my senses and decide to boycotted the Church over 15 years ago, I have never returned. I no longer go to church based on that, the hypocrisy within the doctrine, the kiddy fiddling was the nail in the coffin. I still consider myself catholic and respect the good teachings but thats about it. I personally believe the Church (and partly the Vatican) was infiltrated by paedophiles in the 50/60's and recently by communists, its a sinking ship.

Instead of playing the victim I'd like to see Muslims stick the boots into Islam. Mohammad Tawhidi did and he gained a lot of support by non-muslims in this country... death threats with the Islamic community though.... 

35 minutes ago, HeartFc said:

Nice nice nice, you've said a lot but most of it is non factual assumption

Tawhidi is a fraud with no credibility, you only like him cause he's racist to Sunnis but it's alright coz he's middle eastern himself

My point was that government is looking into the wrong places in Australia for extremism when they could address the true issue of Salafism and Wahhabism (Saudi brand of Islam, creator of terrorism and all the issues you see today) 

Don't give a fuck what you think about the religion, I don't know a single Muslim that doesn't actively boycott Saudi funded mosques and ideologies-- what makes you think we don't address this?

Meanwhile Trump is butt buddies with King Salman or whoever the fuck he is. 

• Like 1

Culture was once defined to me (by an Indian academic) as "The way we do things around here."

The roots of all this, I'm afraid, lie in the tensions that arise between the idea of the "melting pot", where minorities are absorbed into the dominant group in terms of language and culture, and the idea of "multiculturalism" in which minority groups maintain their distinctive identities and cultural practices.

In the context of modern Western liberal democratic societies I think it's true to say that we are expected to be "multicultural." The question is, "Does this work?" David Cameron (former U.K. Prime Minister) said in 2011 "Under the doctrine of state multiculturalism, we have encouraged different cultures to live separate lives, apart from one another and apart from the mainstream. We have failed to provide a vision of society to which they feel they wish to belong." According to Cameron, multiculturalism stands for separation and division, not integration and unity.

I have no idea where Australia really is on this subject. I live in what is essentially a monocultural suburb, I know my own small circle of friends does include both "Europeans" and "Asians", but I also know that almost all of these are on the right of politics and say things around my dinner table that they would not say in public. I can well imagine how people who are already on the margins of society through, for example, financial and employment difficulty, a relationship breakdown etc., could easily be tempted by frustration and anger into becoming an activist.

I'm afraid that I can offer no solution. Simply telling people that they ought to change their views is not going to work. As @NewConvert says, the socio-political road ahead is a long and rough one.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Culture was once defined to me (by an Indian academic) as "The way we do things around here."

The roots of all this, I'm afraid, lie in the tensions that arise between the idea of the "melting pot", where minorities are absorbed into the dominant group in terms of language and culture, and the idea of "multiculturalism" in which minority groups maintain their distinctive identities and cultural practices.

In the context of modern Western liberal democratic societies I think it's true to say that we are expected to be "multicultural." The question is, "Does this work?" David Cameron (former U.K. Prime Minister) said in 2011 "Under the doctrine of state multiculturalism, we have encouraged different cultures to live separate lives, apart from one another and apart from the mainstream. We have failed to provide a vision of society to which they feel they wish to belong." According to Cameron, multiculturalism stands for separation and division, not integration and unity.

I have no idea where Australia really is on this subject. I live in what is essentially a monocultural suburb, I know my own small circle of friends does include both "Europeans" and "Asians", but I also know that almost all of these are on the right of politics and say things around my dinner table that they would not say in public. I can well imagine how people who are already on the margins of society through, for example, financial and employment difficulty, a relationship breakdown etc., could easily be tempted by frustration and anger into becoming an activist.

I'm afraid that I can offer no solution. Simply telling people that they ought to change their views is not going to work. As @NewConvert says, the socio-political road ahead is a long and rough one.

Let me put my Marxist hat on.

To tackle multiculturalism vs monoculturalism - look at the number of mixed marriages for second/third generations of migrants. The rate is about 40% of mixed marriages. Which is why Spaniards that arrived in Oz immediately after the civil war are so blended in. Once upon a time you could go to the spanish harlems of Melbourne. Where are they now? All gone now. And not by law. Ditto teh Dutch and Danes.

Now imagine if the Coalition of the Willing (USA, UK, Australia and Poland) had not invaded Afghanistan nor Iraq. Saddam or one of his sons would be ruling Iraq and the rise of Isis would not have even happened. If teh West simply tells teh Saudis to stop interfering or face teh consequences. Then no civil war in Syria. Al Qaeda would remain a threat but millions of people would not have been displaced. Trillions of dollars of infrastructure would remain in place.

So what of Trump's voters? Well just like in 1929 the stock market crashed. Hey, billions of dollars were squirelled away by a few. Need some money to fix a dangerous intersection - sorry that would mean higher taxes. Billions of dollars stolen? No worries we'll put on the public tab.

Globalisation? Well that was welfare for the rich.

As for Cameron? The man who could not design a referendum leading to all sorts of crisis not only in the UK but also in the EU. Oh and his intellect was in such high demand that he was unemployed until last year when he secured a part time job. He is merely an example of what not to do.