Melbourne Football

TTIM: Things That Irk Me

Tesla

3 minutes ago, n i k o said:

What can I say, I enjoyed when it was easy to simply like a post with one press of the button. 

But I just click once on the little heart icon for a "like." And if I hover the cursor over the heart icon I can see all five icons, and can select the one I want by pressing just once. Why do you need to press twice?

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

But I just click once on the little heart icon for a "like." And if I hover the cursor over the heart icon I can see all five icons, and can select the one I want by pressing just once. Why do you need to press twice?

Probably meant on mobile which requires pressing it two times.

17 minutes ago, hakz7 said:

Probably meant on mobile which requires pressing it two times.

One of the smartest things I've ever done is not to have a smartphone. My wife has one, and I swear she spends more time asking me how to use it than she saves by having it.

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

One of the smartest things I've ever done is not to have a smartphone. My wife has one, and I swear she spends more time asking me how to use it than she saves by having it.

Living in the dark ages JW

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

TTIM: that every time I hear a current politicians pre parliament "work" history it's as an advisor or union official.

Its a disaster for the country to be governed by people who have never held a real job.

Believe me being a Political Adviser at a State or Federal Level is not an easy job... you have to work for a MP and MP's are ruthless PPL to work for and the view any work you do as there own and look over it accordingly.

Also around election time you work so many more hours than you are paid to work and even worse is that half the time these hours are being put in when you know you wont win the Election because you are a Political Adviser.

I should add that one of the hardest working PPL I know is my younger brother and he works for a Union, and whatever your thoughts on Unions are I know if anyone meet him they wound instantly see the effort he puts into helping the Union Members not lose their jobs goes well beyond what is required... and most of these PPL are fucken idiots who dont deserve such dedication.

14 minutes ago, cadete said:

Believe me being a Political Adviser at a State or Federal Level is not an easy job... you have to work for a MP and MP's are ruthless PPL to work for and the view any work you do as there own and look over it accordingly.

Also around election time you work so many more hours than you are paid to work and even worse is that half the time these hours are being put in when you know you wont win the Election because you are a Political Adviser.

I should add that one of the hardest working PPL I know is my younger brother and he works for a Union, and whatever your thoughts on Unions are I know if anyone meet him they wound instantly see the effort he puts into helping the Union Members not lose their jobs goes well beyond what is required... and most of these PPL are fucken idiots who dont deserve such dedication.

With due respect, being a hard worker doesnt qualify anyone to be fit for running a city, state or country. It's def a good quality, but not really the defining one to hold public office successfully.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, bt50 said:

With due respect, being a hard worker doesnt qualify anyone to be fit for running a city, state or country. It's def a good quality, but not really the defining one to hold public office successfully.

I can see why PPL are cynical...

But the reality is that the fact a lot of today's MP's come from Political Backgrounds in Adviser and Union Roles is because these jobs are essentially the best Apprenticeship a person in Australia can get on "Public Policy". 

NOTE: In regards to the Hard Worker stuff... you only get a Junior Union Rep Position after beating a horde of other ALP Voting Over Achievers due to the experience the position can bring due to the above.

Edited by cadete

6 minutes ago, cadete said:

But the reality is that the fact a lot of today's MP's come from Political Backgrounds in Adviser and Union Roles is because these jobs are essentially the best Apprenticeship a person in Australia can get on "Public Policy". 

NOTE: In regards to the Hard Worker stuff... you only get a Junior Union Rep Position after beating a horde of other ALP Voting Over Achievers due to the experience the position can bring due to the above.

Oh i can appreciate that being from a union background probably makes you a good politician. Doesn't make you competent at running, or doing whats best for the country though. 

5 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Oh i can appreciate that being from a union background probably makes you a good politician. Doesn't make you competent at running, or doing whats best for the country though. 

I think you are being a bit partisan due to your understandable dislike for Unions... but our Greatest Ever PM came from a Union Background in John Curtin.

Alongside this as did Bob Hawke - Who in hindsight most PPL from both parties accept was a pretty good PM.

24 minutes ago, cadete said:

I think you are being a bit partisan due to your understandable dislike for Unions... but our Greatest Ever PM came from a Union Background in John Curtin.

Alongside this as did Bob Hawke - Who in hindsight most PPL from both parties accept was a pretty good PM.

Tbh I don't profess to be an expert on any PM's pre-Howard so i wouldnt know. Bob Hawke certainly seemed a very likable chap but ive no idea exactly what he stood for.

The current union lackeys are Shorten and Andrews and imo they are as pathetic  party leaders as we've seen. CFA and MFB is a serious case in point in Victoria. I find it hard to believe that anyone in bed with the unions wont sell the economy for the gain of what is largely base skilled workers already earning way more than they deserve from an output and qualifications perspective.

I absolutely acknowledge the intentions of unions are good and there is absolutely a place for them in modern society, but most of them have strayed that far from their original charter and purpose that they are 100% killing the system and are run by fat cats with their hands in the pot.

I think a large portion of Australians are too much about whats in it for them in the short term and fail to see the long term in that if the economy dives because we are overpriced, the poor and the stupid are the ones that will suffer the most.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, cadete said:

It's not about hard work.

It's about being exposed to normal people and normal challenges in their working life. A fish and chip shop owner might not be an intellectual giant, but they know what's happening on the street.

1 minute ago, Shahanga said:

It's not about hard work.

It's about being exposed to normal people and normal challenges in their working life. A fish and chip shop owner might not be an intellectual giant, but they know what's happening on the street.

Most PPL employed by Unions do actually exactly spend most of their time talking to real working people and then representing them... obviously the further up someone gets then such contact would change but most Union Workers start off that way.

In regards to PPL coming from Political Advisory Backgrounds into Parliament, TBH this is just a reworking of the old model where PPL often were Career Politicians and choose they smaller incomes of Politics over getting rich first and then waltzing in Turnbull style... 

Personally I feel the era of Career Politicians coming to an end saw a lot of Community Connection lost and it has been a major reason for the current poor state of Australian Politics when it comes to Prime Ministers being replaced.

The fact that Tony Abbott is one of the last Career Politicians probably does not help my argument but then again nobody can deny that Abbott is a very popular Local Member in his Electorate will vote due to his dedication to making sure he attends Local Events like League Games and even goes out his way to meet Voters on the streets of Manly. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bt50 said:

Tbh I don't profess to be an expert on any PM's pre-Howard so i wouldnt know. Bob Hawke certainly seemed a very likable chap but ive no idea exactly what he stood for.

The current union lackeys are Shorten and Andrews and imo they are as pathetic  party leaders as we've seen. CFA and MFB is a serious case in point in Victoria. I find it hard to believe that anyone in bed with the unions wont sell the economy for the gain of what is largely base skilled workers already earning way more than they deserve from an output and qualifications perspective.

I absolutely acknowledge the intentions of unions are good and there is absolutely a place for them in modern society, but most of them have strayed that far from their original charter and purpose that they are 100% killing the system and are run by fat cats with their hands in the pot.

I think a large portion of Australians are too much about whats in it for them in the short term and fail to see the long term in that if the economy dives because we are overpriced, the poor and the stupid are the ones that will suffer the most.

IMO - despite my political leanings - it's unfair to point the finger only at the Labor Party in terms of who's in bed with whom. IMO we need completely open and transparent disclosure of all political donations, affiliations and sponsorships etc. Quite frankly I no longer trust any of our politicians to be free of vested interests of some form or another. IMO our political system is broken and needs a major overhaul.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bt50 said:

My take on Bob Hawke. 

Hawke's gift was that people liked him, not the concept of him, but him. He had an incredible popularity (think Kevin Rudd) except unlike Rudd was approachable beneath the facade.

As prime minister history will show that he was at his best when the abrasive Paul Keating was his treasurer. Keating was seen as pushing through the tough reforms the country needed, whilst Hawke made it seem palatable to enough to say in power. When he and Keating split, he became a nothing PM (& Keating likewise was nothing without him as well).

Hawke oversaw some tough reforms when Australia was struggling.  He was pro reform and got his union mates to toe the line.  One thing Hawke was strong on was he governed for all Australians, not just those who voted for him.

He had his flaws of course, but overall he made a decent fist of a tough job. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jw1739 said:

IMO - despite my political leanings - it's unfair to point the finger only at the Labor Party in terms of who's in bed with whom. IMO we need completely open and transparent disclosure of all political donations, affiliations and sponsorships etc. Quite frankly I no longer trust any of our politicians to be free of vested interests of some form or another. IMO our political system is broken and needs a major overhaul.

Oh absolutely, theres plenty of LNP people that would be doing shady shit as well. MOst of them are too busy playing politics in the vein of self interest than actually doing what the country needs. The unions were the topic and obv Labor have the claws there, hence why they were the example.

Its a bit like the famous quote from Churchill really; Democracy is the worst kind of government, except for all the others...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Hawke oversaw some tough reforms when Australia was struggling.  He was pro reform and got his union mates to toe the line.  One thing Hawke was strong on was he governed for all Australians, not just those who voted for him.

He had a great ally in Bill Kelty who did most of the head kicking at Union level,  which enabled the reforms to be accepted by the Unions without industrial action 

2 hours ago, Tesla said:

I think people are being extremely naive in thinking being a politician has anything to do with doing what's best for the people you represent. 

I think one day in the office of an MP in a Swinging Seat would make this statement seem  pretty harsh.

Just now, Inferno said:

TTIM: when I was in high school, all the 'cool kids' would roll their pants or shorts up. No matter what length even if their pants were at their ankles, they all would roll them up. Just something that bugged me. 

It still happens at our school mate, dunno if you've noticed

On 8/11/2017 at 6:19 AM, Shahanga said:

TTIM: that every time I hear a current politicians pre parliament "work" history it's as an advisor or union official.

Its a disaster for the country to be governed by people who have never held a real job.

As opposed to the large number of lawyers in parliament. IIRC its about 80% legal degrees - just like in the community.

On 8/11/2017 at 9:14 AM, bt50 said:

Too broad a statement. The PM does not run the country - ministers sit on top of the public service who assist running the country. You and I run the country - and those shitty potholes on the road, you and I are responsible. In fact, each ministry has its own nuances and what may prove to be a bonus in one ministry can be crap in an alternative ministry. Example Scott Morrison (a man who I seriously would like to murder) whilst doing border protection came across as a tough hard arse who would brook no opposition. Shift him to Treasury and the same qualities mark him way down. Here is where the PM rules because he has to assign roles to best fit the job. Here is where Turnbull has failed.

On 8/11/2017 at 9:46 AM, cadete said:

This. One of the critical jobs of parliament is to negotiate within the rules (formal and informal). Over a decade ago the company that I was working for was looking into entering a partnership with a smaller company to develop a product. The bloke they sent was way outside of the norms in the industry and the first thing after the engineering/commercial meeting was a unanimous no. You can't do job training to be an MP/Senator elsewhere - there are a few that can do but by and large we are stuck with precisely this. In my yoof I assisted a candidate run for the lcoal council - lovely bloke who worked very hard and relatively smart BUT he could not organise a pissup in a brewery. 

On 8/11/2017 at 9:53 AM, bt50 said:

In Australia you cannot define what is good for the country. What is good for a particular sector may be poisonous for the other sectors. Unlike Singapore that has only one natural resource (people) we have five and they don't work in tandem. Swings and roundabouts but they don't work together. And being a politician is all about crossing bridges, being magnanimous, talking, more talking otherwise society fractures.

On 8/11/2017 at 10:26 AM, bt50 said:

The CFA/MFB issue is bollocks - no one has yet explained, in any shape manner or form, why Springvale is part of the CFA. It burns the ambers (pardon the pun) of the conservative union bashing lot but little else. And living in the inner city it means sweet FA to me. Oh and FYI, Bob Hawke was just as disliked as Shorten was at the time. And jsut like Hawke, Shorten has been playing the long game.

And all of my life I have been hearing how the Unions once upon a time had the best intentions in the beginning but the current lot...

Two weeks ago I read that in the USA truck drivers were once upon a time middle class earners who could afford to give their kids healthcare and an education. Once the Teamsters Union got smashed, their wages plummeted to minimum wage. And unlike other industries, truck drivers cannot be replaced by imports nor have they been replaced by technology.  Thus for the last month I have been reading many articles that the essential role that unions played in pushing profits into wages thus allowing demand to pick up has now been disappeared leading to flat growth.

On 8/11/2017 at 3:03 PM, cadete said:

Most PPL employed by Unions do actually exactly spend most of their time talking to real working people and then representing them... obviously the further up someone gets then such contact would change but most Union Workers start off that way.

In regards to PPL coming from Political Advisory Backgrounds into Parliament, TBH this is just a reworking of the old model where PPL often were Career Politicians and choose they smaller incomes of Politics over getting rich first and then waltzing in Turnbull style... 

Personally I feel the era of Career Politicians coming to an end saw a lot of Community Connection lost and it has been a major reason for the current poor state of Australian Politics when it comes to Prime Ministers being replaced.

The fact that Tony Abbott is one of the last Career Politicians probably does not help my argument but then again nobody can deny that Abbott is a very popular Local Member in his Electorate will vote due to his dedication to making sure he attends Local Events like League Games and even goes out his way to meet Voters on the streets of Manly. 

I don't know whether you read the kerfuffle a few months ago when someone leaked that internal polling showed that Abbot was going to lose his seat to James Matheson, and so they got Turnbull to run phone ads for Abbott. Peta Credlin confirmed the truth of the story and she said that the leak could only have been from Turnbull himself as there were only four people who had access to the internal polling and neither she nor Abbot would have leaked it. 

And this tells me that Turnbull is a weak leader. Jeff Kennet also had an opponent who needed assistance but Jeff left him to swing in the breeze and that did Kennett a world of good.

TTIM: When people call Berisha a gypsy thinking it's an insult.

Balkan pecking order: * > gypsy > bulgarian > hungarian > albanian

Gypsy is a few tiers above Albanian as you can see.

In Eastern Macedonia an Albanian wouldn't even get served in a cafe, whereas gypsies have their use doing shit jobs no one else wants to do (and actually therefore getting decent pay and ironically being better off than a fair bit of non-gypsies).

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Tesla said:

TTIM: When people call Berisha a gypsy thinking it's an insult.

Balkan pecking order: * > gypsy > bulgarian > hungarian > albanian

Gypsy is a few tiers above Albanian as you can see.

In Eastern Macedonia an Albanian wouldn't even get served in a cafe, whereas gypsies have their use doing shit jobs no one else wants to do (and actually therefore getting decent pay and ironically being better off than a fair bit of non-gypsies).

So on that scale were do Collingwood hipsters sit in the pecking order.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

TTIM: These virtue signalling tossers ripping down confederate statues in the states. Saw a clip of a bloke stomping and spitting on a statue and looking up to see if the cameras could see. #lookblackpeopleimnotracist 

Honestly, not surprised some of these nut case neo-nazi are coming out of the woodwork. Just a little tip to ANIFA and other retarded lefty groups, don't fuck with the far right, you will die.

14 hours ago, HeartFc said:

TTIM: These virtue signalling tossers ripping down confederate statues in the states. Saw a clip of a bloke stomping and spitting on a statue and looking up to see if the cameras could see. #lookblackpeopleimnotracist 

Honestly, not surprised some of these nut case neo-nazi are coming out of the woodwork. Just a little tip to ANIFA and other retarded lefty groups, don't fuck with the far right, you will die.

Internet and society were a lot better before social media

• Like 5