Melbourne Football

TTIM: Things That Irk Me

Tesla

TTIM: Enquiries etc. using the benefit of hindsight to savage people in our various emergency services over what they did or didn't do in a particular situation.

My experience of "emergencies" has been as a volunteer firefighter in Tasmania serving in two big bushfires. These desk jockeys need to get out there and experience what it's really like to have to make split-second decisions in tough situations before opening their bloody mouths.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, jw1739 said:

TTIM: Enquiries etc. using the benefit of hindsight to savage people in our various emergency services over what they did or didn't do in a particular situation.

My experience of "emergencies" has been as a volunteer firefighter in Tasmania serving in two big bushfires. These desk jockeys need to get out there and experience what it's really like to have to make split-second decisions in tough situations before opening their bloody mouths.

Thinking on this, I have not read the coroner's report into the Lindt Cafe siege in Sydney so I don't know how much the coroner savaged those on the front line. However two things stick out from the media reports: the inability to get paperwork done so that the prick would not have been granted bail and that the law was too vague on the use of lethal tactics.

On the first point, failure to have the files at the magistrates court when the prick applied for bail - well I think that the police deserve a savaging. If they are not responsible then the government should get a caning for not providing the resources to complete such a basic task.

On the second point, no one deserves a savaging. I understand that the law needs to be flexible but when there is so much confusion perhaps it is too flexible. This one is a tough one to think through because in most other cases there are multiple examples that they can go by and test the limits. In this instance, no one should be savaged and any criticism should be constructive.

As for enquiries, I think that for all their flaws they are a hell of a lot better than not having them. Otherwise, how could the public vote for policies that need implementing?

4 hours ago, NewConvert said:

As for enquiries, I think that for all their flaws they are a hell of a lot better than not having them. Otherwise, how could the public vote for policies that need implementing?

The problem with enquiries is they are seemingly used as political tools and/or used as blame shifting.

It would be interesting to see how much of the recommendations for various enquiries are actually fully implemented and not a watered down appeasement implementation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I'm not aware that the sorts of enquiries such as that into what happened at the Lindt Cafe end up with public policy recommendations that people can actually vote on? 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I'm not aware that the sorts of enquiries such as that into what happened at the Lindt Cafe end up with public policy recommendations that people can actually vote on? 

21 hours ago, malloy said:

The problem with enquiries is they are seemingly used as political tools and/or used as blame shifting.

It would be interesting to see how much of the recommendations for various enquiries are actually fully implemented and not a watered down appeasement implementation.

It will depend on the topic. For example the "Aboriginal Deaths in Custody " RC held about 25 years ago yielded some changes but it was a low priority for the major parties and the public. the 2009 Bushfire RC yielded 99 recommendations which the ALP promised to implement 98 and the Coalition to implement all 99. In the end we are getting close to getting most of these. The inquiry into the old parole board changed the complete way parole was managed.

What tends to happen is that most major recommendations are adopted as policy by the major parties. If they don't come through it becomes a political stick, as it should. There are difficult situations such as when Vic. police shot the troubled 15 year old. The coroner investigated but made no recommendations simply because that is a very difficult situation to deal with and nothing that wasn't in teh books could be added. And I would note that no political party made it into a political issue.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, marn11 said:

Those dickheads obviously forgot Bolt was from the Territory. Might have thought twice if they'd known.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HeartFc said:

Looks like Bolt fucked that cunt up a little. These fucking antifa cocksuckers are the biggest pussies on the planet, spray someone with glitter then run. I honestly could not think of a gayer thing than that. 

lmfao

10 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

TTIM - cahill getting his kids to be among the walk out mascots for the big game, give the opportunity to actual juniors, he could of just met them at one of their trainings 

Totally agree. I reackon it was more about getting that photo than actually meeting a player. 

12 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

TTIM - cahill getting his kids to be among the walk out mascots for the big game, give the opportunity to actual juniors, he could of just met them at one of their trainings 

TTIM and UOTYH: The whole Cahill/City thing gives me the shits except when he scores for us.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, HeartFc said:

If Cahill played for Victory he'd be the most hated player in Australia. He carries on like a teenage boy who just lost his virginity.

Seriously, its not like any of us pays him...

He would get a gig in any side in the A-League and he also scores enough goals for his time on the pitch... You also cant really fault him for effort in games either so who really cares.

Then again I barely give a fuck anymore about City so maybe that is just me being apathetic to what happens at the club in general.

2 hours ago, cadete said:

Seriously, its not like any of us pays him...

He would get a gig in any side in the A-League and he also scores enough goals for his time on the pitch... You also cant really fault him for effort in games either so who really cares.

Then again I barely give a fuck anymore about City so maybe that is just me being apathetic to what happens at the club in general.

Are you a paid-up member? Maybe those of us who have paid pretty expensive memberships feel somewhat pissed off and feel we should get more out of the club than twitter shit about Cahill and Munn.

It's just general spleen-venting - normal for this stage of the pre-season.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Are you a paid-up member? Maybe those of us who have paid pretty expensive memberships feel somewhat pissed off and feel we should get more out of the club than twitter shit about Cahill and Munn.

It's just general spleen-venting - normal for this stage of the pre-season.

I have been a Paid Up Member every Season since the First Season of Heart.

And FWIW if PPL want to support City like they did Heart - Maybe they should remember Willow and Maycon before they complain about Cahill... I mean even Hoffman got a chance as a Number Nine in S2 of MHFC.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 4

TTIM: Nobody calling/texting me about my old 2012 Ninja 300 for sale. Its the cheapest in VIC FFS

45 minutes ago, haz said:

TTIM: In my 4th year of engineering with a high GPA, but still not eligible for any scholarships because I'm a white Australian born male.

What type fam?