Melbourne Football

TTIM: Things That Irk Me

Tesla

4 hours ago, haz said:

TTIM: 21st Birthday parties, makes no sense in Australia. Just provides another reason to get drunk and root. 

Earliest age you can legally drink and drive (of course under said limit) in vic. Although the P plate rules have changed since I was 21 I think.

On 14/01/2017 at 4:14 PM, bt50 said:

TTIM : People that use the word correct to indicate they agree.

Rather than yes or i agree they say 'correct' as if the the statement wasnt valid to begin with until they approved it. A smug yet subtle way of saying that i know better than you and my opinion is superior.

Credit goes to Cleaver Greene for the articulation.

Agreed. This is the only suitable time i have found the word used correctly.

• Like 1

TTIM : everything to do with Tim Cahill except for the goals he has scored for the Socceroos and Melbourne City. So that's probably all up 1 hour combined of his life that's a TTDIM, the rest is all TTIM. 

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

The dude was wanted for stabbing his brother on Thursday, gun restrictions keep the guns out of nutters like his hands.

I agree, more so though the procedures of the officers and the following police vehicles

15 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

The dude was wanted for stabbing his brother on Thursday, gun restrictions keep the guns out of nutters like his hands.

Triggered.

He has managed to kill multiple people without one, whereas if a law abiding citizenhad one they could have shot him or just his fucking tires.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Triggered.

He has managed to kill multiple people without one, whereas if a law abiding citizenhad one they could have shot him or just his fucking tires.

Or missed and killed more civilians with all the weapons training they have... I love this idea that general members of the public will become expert gunmen in moments of crisis

Also who decides out of the hundreds in the crowd who gets to take the heroic shot?

Edited by Begbie
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Begbie said:

Or missed and killed more civilians with all the weapons training they have... I love this idea that general members of the public will become expert gunmen in moments of crisis

Also who decides out of the hundreds in the crowd who gets to take the heroic shot?

Please don't indulge him 

• Like 5

I don't see that gun control in the general community is relevant to the issue of whether police should be armed. They are two different issues IMO.

I'm very surprised TBH that our police in the CBD are apparently unarmed. Makes me wonder just what state of preparedness we are in to deal with "terrorism." This is in effect no different from the terrorist attacks in Nice and Berlin  - IMO makes no difference what the motivation is. It's what happens that matters, not some definition. 

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I don't see that gun control in the general community is relevant to the issue of whether police should be armed. They are two different issues IMO.

I'm very surprised TBH that our police in the CBD are apparently unarmed. Makes me wonder just what state of preparedness we are in to deal with "terrorism." This is in effect no different from the terrorist attacks in Nice and Berlin  - IMO makes no difference what the motivation is. It's what happens that matters, not some definition. 

I recall discussing this issue with a senator about 20 years ago. The big issue that both politicians and the police have is for stray bullets to hit bystanders - much like the woman who died at the Lindt Cafe siege from being hit by police bullet shrapnel. In those first chaotic minutes is when the greatest danger is. Having said that I am pretty certain that I have seen armed police in the city but not all of them carry weapons. This is mainly because the troubles in the city can usually be contained by unarmed police. This was the odd exception that crops up every once in a while. I don't know how long the whole thing took as I haven't heard any details like that but I am surprised at the image of the dick doing burnouts at the intersection of Flinders st and Swanston streets as that corner is usually well patrolled. Maybe that was the bait. 

Also 'preparedness' is quite a big topic but I am not sure that teh public needs to know. As long as Parliament is satisfied that all angles have been covered. I hope that they have an inquest or parliamentary inquiry to double check that things were as expected and how they could be improved.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NewConvert said:

And now I learnt that the dick was out on bail after a history of violence. I find it difficult to trust the judgement of magistrates when someone with a history of violence, mental health and drug issues is allowed bail.

Actually no more than an out-of-hours Bail Justice, and despite police opposition to the bail. Such justices are trained volunteers, the only requirements being that they are Australian citizens and not insolvent.

This is patently absurd.

This guy has now murdered four people, including a child, injured 30 others some critically, and traumatised many many more.. Now he will get legal support from somewhere, plead something like diminished responsibility and get a custodial sentence and live off the rest of us for the term of his natural life. Instead he should be executed without trial. We're too bloody soft on these bastards.

48 minutes ago, Hellenic Hero said:

Making out in public: Can't you wait until you get home until you stick your tongues down each other's throats?

Agreed, but I'd still rather see that shit than live in a country where it's illegal.