Melbourne Football

TTIM: Things That Irk Me

Tesla

UOMB - update on my balls. (should probably start my own topic on this)

No Std's, couple of cysts found on epididymal in my balls but shouldnt be causing the pain. Doc reckons it could be stress with a combo of nerve damage from my lower back. This gave me some peace of mind and freed me up to have a fuck load of sex over the weekend but now I'm in more pain than ever. Another solid week of Ice packs and mind numbing pain killers.

BTW I road on one of the animals all day on Sunday at Fountain Gate shops, I had an Octopus for a bit then swapped to a Hippo. Eventually security took it off me when I rode it down an escalator. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeartFc said:

UOMB - update on my balls. (should probably start my own topic on this)

No Std's, couple of cysts found on epididymal in my balls but shouldnt be causing the pain. Doc reckons it could be stress with a combo of nerve damage from my lower back. This gave me some peace of mind and freed me up to have a fuck load of sex over the weekend but now I'm in more pain than ever. Another solid week of Ice packs and mind numbing pain killers.

BTW I road on one of the animals all day on Sunday at Fountain Gate shops, I had an Octopus for a bit then swapped to a Hippo. Eventually security took it off me when I rode it down an escalator. 

ok what

i wish i still had nuts im on that testicular atrophy from steroid abuse feels bad man

• Like 2

Ttim: (i think i have already complained about this in the past but fuck it) that silver foil stuff under the lid of milo tins. Why do you have to slice it off with a knife? That shit is fucking dangerous if you cop an edge. Surely there is a better design they could come up with.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Ttim: (i think i have already complained about this in the past but fuck it) that silver foil stuff under the lid of milo tins. Why do you have to slice it off with a knife? That shit is fucking dangerous if you cop an edge. Surely there is a better design they could come up with.

Sealed for freshness. I don't mind it. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

TTIM: All the sob stories coming from the Hazelwood mine closure. I wish I was  getting a 6 figure redundancy to go with my new house, cars, jetski's, etc. Must be tough.

I doubt you would take a 1 year payout in an industry where its near impossible to find new work in at the moment.

However the writing has been on the wall for ages for Hazelwood, so they had plenty of warning. 

21 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

TTIM: All the sob stories coming from the Hazelwood mine closure. I wish I was  getting a 6 figure redundancy to go with my new house, cars, jetski's, etc. Must be tough.

About as much sympathy as I have for ford/ Toyota and Holden workers. The world is changing adapt or get left behind 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thisphantomfortress said:

About as much sympathy as I have for ford/ Toyota and Holden workers. The world is changing adapt or get left behind 

This. Unfortunately it's been quite clear for a long time to everyone (except the government maybe) that coal, much like Aussie car manufacturing, is going the way of the dodo. If I were in the industry I'd be doing everything I could to get out asap.

1 hour ago, GreenSeater said:

This. Unfortunately it's been quite clear for a long time to everyone (except the government maybe) that coal, much like Aussie car manufacturing, is going the way of the dodo. If I were in the industry I'd be doing everything I could to get out asap.

Not that I particularly mind that the worst polluting one is gone, but there is still a place for more efficient coal power plants until renewables are viable (rather than the government trying to force them to be viable at everyone's cost).

2 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

Id be surprised if coal was completely removed in Australia in my lifetime. The removal of Hazelwood means we're going to demand more from NSW's coal power stations, so its not as if the dependence of coal has been removed.

According to this Loy Yang will still be operating until 2050, so no real reason to get out of the industry if you're employed there. 

http://www.latrobevalleyexpress.com.au/story/3021877/loy-yang-to-shut-doors-by-2050/

Edited by hedaik
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

But this anyway, industries/jobs/etc come and go, that's life. Why do these unionised scum always get more sympathy, just like the automotive workers they only made it more inevitable by extorting more than they're worth for years. Cunts lose their jobs every day, many with little fault of their own, unlike union scum who make their own bed, why do they need special government provisions. Get fucked.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tesla said:

But this anyway, industries/jobs/etc come and go, that's life. Why do these unionised scum always get more sympathy, just like the automotive workers they only made it more inevitable by extorting more than they're worth for years. Cunts lose their jobs every day, many with little fault of their own, unlike union scum who make their own bed, why do they need special government provisions. Get fucked.

Truth.

11 minutes ago, hedaik said:

Id be surprised if coal was completely removed in Australia in my lifetime. The removal of Hazelwood means we're going to demand more from NSW's coal power stations, so its not as if the dependence of coal has been removed.

According to this Loy Yang will still be operating until 2050, so no real reason to get out of the industry if you're employed there. 

http://www.latrobevalleyexpress.com.au/story/3021877/loy-yang-to-shut-doors-by-2050/

When you look at the progress my name sake have made in battery storage in a year or so, surely the time frame for green energy becoming viable is being slashed?

And can I point out that it has little to do with subsidies (though still a factor) and more to do with simple economies of scale and marketing.

If I was building a house now I'd get a powerwall 2, even though the ROI is still dubious, you also have a backup source of power if the grid fails which has value.

I would imagine that's an even more appealing factor in commercial and industrial settings.

15 minutes ago, Tesla said:

When you look at the progress my name sake have made in battery storage in a year or so, surely the time frame for green energy becoming viable is being slashed?

Yeah really depends on what breakthroughs are made with storage in the future I guess. At the moment its still cheaper to be on the grid rather than have battery storage. 

16 minutes ago, hedaik said:

Yeah really depends on what breakthroughs are made with storage in the future I guess. At the moment its still cheaper to be on the grid rather than have battery storage. 

Project I'm working on at the moment in Melbourne is all ran with Solar/Tesla powerwalls. Not much more breakthrough needs to happen on a residential scale

20 minutes ago, Begbie said:

Project I'm working on at the moment in Melbourne is all ran with Solar/Tesla powerwalls. Not much more breakthrough needs to happen on a residential scale

Everything Ive read indicates the payback time on a battery outlives the life of the battery itself (I dont pay too much attention to it though as I'd prefer put 20k in my home loan rather than a battery), but irrespective of that my comment about coal was more from a base load generation perspective rather than individual houses. As Ive said here before, my company spent 20 million or something on a battery the size of a sea container, and all that does is help with peak load in a small industrial area of Melbourne so I think we're a while off from batteries being able to replace the role that coal generation plays. 

Edited by hedaik

10 minutes ago, hedaik said:

Everything Ive read indicates the payback time on a battery outlives the life of the battery itself (I dont pay too much attention to it though as I'd prefer put 20k in my home loan rather than a battery), but irrespective of that my comment about coal was more from a base load generation perspective rather than individual houses. As Ive said here before, my company spent 20 million or something on a battery the size of a sea container, and all that does is help with peak load in a small industrial area of Melbourne so I think we're a while off from batteries being able to replace the role that coal generation plays. 

IMO that's almost inevitable. Power generation to food production - doesn't matter. Passing the onus to the individual consumer loses the benefits of scale associated with mass production.

The beauty of the powerwall is that it allows those who care more about fashion, or green energy, or being off the grid, or whatever to put their money where their mouth is and get one rather than trying to force expensive green energy on everyone. It's an individual choice, that's what I'm all about.

But with the powerwall 2, the numbers are almost close to stacking up, no longer just for people with more money than sense or who want to be a cool hippie.

Who knows what the next generation holds, certainly not such a big step forward, but it would just bring the numbers even closer to making sense.

It's a different story for industrial and commercial since they'd be more rational about it, but it also removes the cost of a backup generator and they'd be getting a bigger battery which you imagine would be cheaper, so might not be far off there either.

As for batteries as part of the grid, that's a different story but the less homes and businesses rely on the grid perhaps there is less need for the grid to be green.

I am not going to get into technical shit but in working in Politics and then as a Planner one thing I have learnt about this stuff is that if PPL want to push Renewable Energy then focus on the Financial Incentive (or making something into a Financial Incentive) rather than Preaching about Morality...

This always has and always will be the quickest way to get PPL over to your side.

Yeah I wasn't saying that coal is going to disappear overnight, but with constantly advancing technology plus the increased effects of climate change that we will be seeing over the next few decades there is certainly a clock on how long is left for coal. If more focus was put into transitioning to renewable energy by the government there may have been a transition plan in place for some of these workers.

19 hours ago, hedaik said:

Two decades ago I had a brush with the power industry. It turns out that the NSW black coal is less polluting than Victoria's brown coal, it has greater energy stored and produces less radioactive waste. Black coal is also used in smelting but I have never heard of brown coal being used in smelting. So as you say black coal's future will be around for awhile but as to how much is anybodies guess.

19 hours ago, Tesla said:

Not that I particularly mind that the worst polluting one is gone, but there is still a place for more efficient coal power plants until renewables are viable (rather than the government trying to force them to be viable at everyone's cost).

This is one thing that has me perplexed. You would think that power plant manufacturers would be looking at improving the efficiency of coal but I only ever read about the design progress of fission nuclear power plants. It also seems that China is increasing the number of coal power plants as well as India but I haven't read anything about the newest and greatest on their projected efficiency. It may be happening but they are certainly not trumpeting their successes. A while back there was a lot of talk about carbon capture and storage but that seems to have died in the arse.

20 hours ago, Tesla said:

Unfortunately I will be long dead when the results of closing the car industry have truly been analysed. I was in Elizabeth last week and it was already a dismal place and now will become a more dismal place. Over at the Guardian there was an article about a Michigan town where once manufacturing industry closed (and no many places were not unionised) and the rather bleak future they have. One of the reasons I could not never be part of the centre right is their utter indifference to the concept of communities.

TTIM: In regards to the car industry, people who drive foreign made cars but think the government should prop up an industry in Australia (thinking of a work mate here). If you think it's that bloody important buy an Aussie made car! (Like I did, but I don't think government support should last forever, should only be a temporary thing, otherwise there is s big problem).

11 hours ago, Shahanga said:

TTIM: In regards to the car industry, people who drive foreign made cars but think the government should prop up an industry in Australia (thinking of a work mate here). If you think it's that bloody important buy an Aussie made car! (Like I did, but I don't think government support should last forever, should only be a temporary thing, otherwise there is s big problem).

I agree with what you are saying. However there are other issues involved is that for middle income countries, having a car industry manages to promote other investment in related and non-related industries - this is one of the issues in third world developmental economics. This is why I said I will be long gone by the time the final analysis is concluded. As far as government support is concerned, I agree but I certainly would like a nice tabulation as to how all industries are propped up by government support and how much that costs.

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I agree with what you are saying. However there are other issues involved is that for middle income countries, having a car industry manages to promote other investment in related and non-related industries - this is one of the issues in third world developmental economics. This is why I said I will be long gone by the time the final analysis is concluded. As far as government support is concerned, I agree but I certainly would like a nice tabulation as to how all industries are propped up by government support and how much that costs.

That's a very important point that is so often overlooked. I'm reminded of the (somewhat old) statistic that behind every job there are between 5 and 7 jobs in service and supply. I'm not sure whether that statistic includes research and development, project engineering, construction etc. and/or downstream jobs such as transport and distribution, but overall it's not just a matter of removing one "production" job such as in mining or car manufacture, there's much more to consider than that "production" job alone. Unfortunately there's a tendency nowadays to look only at the cost side of the cost/benefit equation.

I certainly don't propose supporting a rust-belt job for ever, but if closure is not handled correctly the flow-on effects can be catastrophic for a whole community of people.

And that's from a person many would consider right-wing.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

That's a very important point that is so often overlooked. I'm reminded of the (somewhat old) statistic that behind every job there are between 5 and 7 jobs in service and supply. I'm not sure whether that statistic includes research and development, project engineering, construction etc. and/or downstream jobs such as transport and distribution, but overall it's not just a matter of removing one "production" job such as in mining or car manufacture, there's much more to consider than that "production" job alone. Unfortunately there's a tendency nowadays to look only at the cost side of the cost/benefit equation.

I certainly don't propose supporting a rust-belt job for ever, but if closure is not handled correctly the flow-on effects can be catastrophic for a whole community of people.

And that's from a person many would consider right-wing.

A while back Suzi Quattro was interviewed on the ABC and she was originally from Detroit and her father was a jazz musician as well as a mechanical engineer. On her father's wages four girls were put through school and musical education, the local venues were well patronised by people from the car plants. With so many jobs gone all of the additional services such as musical tuition, jazz bars, etc. have disappeared. So the flow on costs become greater than just a job at a car plant. Also, the aeronautical industry was able to tap into the automotive industry to acquire skilled staff; the computing business also was well funded by Ford so much so that they were initially given a huge chunk of IPv4 addresses because they were one of the few companies that could use them but in the end it was way too much for the technology of the time.

Perhaps you are not as right wing as you think you are :)

• Like 1

TTIM: How Melbourne has this split thing going on at its Night Spots, you either need to wear dresser stuff for some places or more annoying for me (as these are places I would chose to go to as a preference ) you can not be too dressed up... which is pretty annoying when you have been at the races etc.

Edited by cadete