Melbourne Football

TTIM: Things That Irk Me

Tesla

3 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

I try to read but usually resort to the same thing after 10 minutes of some cunt mumbling into a hands free behind me

Haven't caught a train regularly for 25 years. Only conversations are me yelling at my kids to stop fighting and to shut the fuck up.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Unlucky, I recently (well like 8 months ago now) moved onto the Hurstbridge/South Morang line, don't think I've heard a single word uttered on the train in the morning. That being said I mostly walk to work and the train is reserved for rainy days which may be a factor.

Yeah maybe. Occasionally i will get a quiet morning by they are pretty few and far between.

The plus side is it takes me weeks to get through a book because of it so i dont have to constantly be on the lookout for new books to read

7 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Yeah maybe. Occasionally i will get a quiet morning by they are pretty few and far between.

The plus side is it takes me weeks to get through a book because of it so i dont have to constantly be on the lookout for new books to read

Have you ever gotten into audiobooks? Could be an option. Audible has pretty much everything you can imagine

1 hour ago, KSK_47 said:

Not on my train unfortunately. Always a minimum of 2 indians on mobile phones every day no matter what carriage i get on. Glum silence is exactly what i want at 6am!

Now that you mention it, I've never seen an indian on a train that wasn't on the phone.

TTIM: Having attended two citizenship ceremonies in the last few months.

These things are the biggest waste of time imaginable. The most pointless speeches made by a local council member, or at best an MP, and someone from the police or military, and a bunch of other crap.

Just give people their citizenship certificates and the address of the local centrelink office and let everyone be on their way.

• Like 1

People demolishing perfectly sound but tbf not that modern houses and rebuilding with ridiculously oversized for the size of the block. In my in-laws street alone a street of 30 odd houses 5 are being demolished/rebuilt concurrently. It's turned the entire street into a construction zone. Massive trucks excavators and endless contractors coming and going. 

Really annoying. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jovan said:

People demolishing perfectly sound but tbf not that modern houses and rebuilding with ridiculously oversized for the size of the block. In my in-laws street alone a street of 30 odd houses 5 are being demolished/rebuilt concurrently. It's turned the entire street into a construction zone. Massive trucks excavators and endless contractors coming and going. 

Really annoying. 

It's a bit strange when you see this happening with homes that are only like 25-30 years old. Hard to see how it's worthwhile unless they are able to build 2 houses instead of one.

4 minutes ago, Tesla said:

It's a bit strange when you see this happening with homes that are only like 25-30 years old. Hard to see how it's worthwhile unless they are able to build 2 houses instead of one.

This is templestowe area most were built in the 70s. A Couple sold for 900k and by the look of the build will cost about 500k for the new house. Just seems like a lot of money to put into a suburban house. A few are the same owners for decades so that's a little less extreme. 

Even still just stuffs up the neighborhood for a couple years.

9 minutes ago, Jovan said:

This is templestowe area most were built in the 70s. A Couple sold for 900k and by the look of the build will cost about 500k for the new house. Just seems like a lot of money to put into a suburban house. A few are the same owners for decades so that's a little less extreme. 

Probably makes sense in Templestowe, land values are high and the blocks are generally huge.

Plus there are all the government incentives to sink your money into a house. Blame the government, both sides of politics seemingly have no idea when it comes to housing policy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Probably makes sense in Templestowe, land values are high and the blocks are generally huge.

Plus there are all the government incentives to sink your money into a house. Blame the government, both sides of politics seemingly have no idea when it comes to housing policy.

Which is why Melbourne and Sydney, and to a growing extent Brisbane, have horrific urban sprawls.

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

PPL across the road from my parents knocked down a beautiful old very nicely renovated massive mansion two years ago. I could not understand why anyone would do as such as I would say the house was easily in the top one percent of houses one could possibly live in the country.

Two years later  is now the exact same house rebuilt but with a nine car revolving garage underneath.

Sums up this particular Sydney Suburb to a tee TBH.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jovan said:

Really annoying. 

My area has a lot of MCM houses that are on big lots. They are all being pulled down for cheap hideous units. My street is starting to feel very claustrophobic

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Hahaha fuck i love Mark Latham as a social commentator, absolute pisser.

I still remember how hard I laughed when they actually elected him Leader for the upcoming Federal Election... it reminded me of when I heard the Eagles recruited Andrew McDougall at Number Five due to his great performances out marking short Irishmen in a Junior International Rules Series. 

It was so obvious how shit both of them were... and things played out exactly that way.

2 minutes ago, cadete said:

I still remember how hard I laughed when they actually elected him Leader for the upcoming Federal Election... it reminded me of when I heard the Eagles recruited Andrew McDougall at Number Five due to his great performances out marking short Irishmen in a Junior International Rules Series.

It was so obvious how shit both of them were... and things played out exactly that way.

In Lathams defence, Howard was an unstoppable Juggernaut at that stage of his career. Who else did the ALP have that could possibly have done any better (or worse)

Just now, thisphantomfortress said:

In Lathams defence, Howard was an unstoppable Juggernaut at that stage of his career. Who else did the ALP have that could possibly have done any better (or worse)

Most Liberals back then (And I was still a party member then so I can remember the conversations) and def in hindsight believe that if it had been Beasley and not Latham (Worlds apart as Politicians) then the election probably would've gone the other way.

Latham was such a fuck up he made Howard look a lot more popular than he actually was back then... all Howard had to do was beat a guy who basically wrote up a Policy Platform based around his own fucked up Personality. (Remember "The Latham Opportune Express?" - It was like something out of Mein Kampf)

The choice of Latham was the biggest free kick any party has ever received in a Federal Election... 

8 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Every time Mark Latham talks, I'm deep down hoping that he's doing a Stephen Colbert thing and just taking the piss out of the opinions he talks about. If not then he's a total nutcase.

I can assure you that he actually is a 100% genuine nutcase, just ask any ALP Shadow Minister that worked alongside him in the 2000's and none of them will deviate from this view. He is not putting this shit on... he basically really is a narcissistic self obsessed fascist that somehow found himself into the ALP. 

That's why when he lost that election he fell of the face of the earth for a few years... because the Australian Public did not overwhelmingly reject ALP policy it rejected ALP Policy that was literally based completely only around his own personality. That is a hell of a rejection for a narcist. 

2 minutes ago, cadete said:

I can assure you that he actually is a 100% genuine nutcase, just ask any ALP Shadow Minister that worked alongside him in the 2000's and none of them will deviate from this view. He is not putting this shit on... he basically really is a narcissistic self obsessed fascist that somehow found himself into the ALP. 

That's why when he lost that election he fell of the face of the earth for a few years... because the Australian Public did not overwhelmingly reject ALP policy it rejected ALP Policy that was literally based completely only around his own personality. That is a hell of a rejection for a narcist. 

I don't understand how he ended up in the ALP. Considering Labor is supposedly the more left-leaning of the major parties and his personal views would be seen as rather far-right by the majority of the Libs. And yeah I still think that handshake with Howard in 04 was the moment that people realised that he really was crazy.

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

Hahaha fuck i love Mark Latham as a social commentator, absolute pisser.

Needs a talk back radio show tbh.

2 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

I don't understand how he ended up in the ALP. Considering Labor is supposedly the more left-leaning of the major parties and his personal views would be seen as rather far-right by the majority of the Libs. And yeah I still think that handshake with Howard in 04 was the moment that people realised that he really was crazy.

Cause his economic policies wouldn't be accepted in the Liberal party.

8 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Typical of our culture all too often we try to make false claims of success of our athletes. 

"Congrats to Mark Schwarzer and @LCFC ! The big man is the first keeper to win back to back titles w different sides!

He didn't play 1 games during the whole season FFS. 

First player in history to win back to back Premier League titles with different clubs without playing a game. Also now the oldest player to ever win the Premier League. Hopefully they play him in one of the last two games.

41 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Needs a talk back radio show tbh.

Cause his economic policies wouldn't be accepted in the Liberal party.

I think its a little bit of this but mainly his background... how he was chosen as leader was ridiculous as he literally made his name by insulting PPL in Parliament. He was just really really lucky that he was a Creanite, and the party kept flipping between Beasley Faction and the Crean Faction during the Howard years.

Beasley had lost his second consecutive election and so the party turned back to the Creanites but Crean himself had been such an unpopular Opposition Leader (He literally broke records in terms of poor polling) they had look at some else and Latham was the best known at the time. Something that always helped Latham was that Rudd kept throwing his hat into the ring with not much support but those supporters he did have took votes away from the Beasley Faction.

You have to feel a bit sorry for Gillard as she was she was just marginally behind Latham in the pecking order amongst the Crean Faction due to her age. It is quite conceivable that if she could have been the Creanite Candidate for the Leadership that she could have won the party ballot  and possibly the election rather than coming into power after Rudd had set her up to fail with all his stupid unrealistic Election Promises.

After Latham's loss and things swung back to Beasley, the reason he was knocked out by Rudd really had nothing to do with Rudd rather than the Crean and Latham flops meant that the Creanites despite still being a significant force in the Federal Party was now no longer as strong as it had been in the past few years. Therefore Gillard made a deal with Rudd to put the Creanite votes (Which were far larger in number than Rudd's own - A good source told me something like 70% of Rudd's votes in the ballot were really Gillard's) behind Rudd to knock out Beasley for good.

That's why Gillard had three significant Minister Portfolios to her name in the initial Rudd Government including the Education Portfolio that with the BER and Gonski was very important at the time... and it was why she was able to roll him with relative ease prior to him contesting a second election.

The other thing about Latham is that his political career was never about his party but about himself... he could have been in any party really and been the same type of politician. Similar to Putin really if you think about it in that respect.

Edited by cadete

1 hour ago, cadete said:

Most Liberals back then (And I was still a party member then so I can remember the conversations) and def in hindsight believe that if it had been Beasley and not Latham (Worlds apart as Politicians) then the election probably would've gone the other way.

Latham was such a fuck up he made Howard look a lot more popular than he actually was back then... all Howard had to do was beat a guy who basically wrote up a Policy Platform based around his own fucked up Personality. (Remember "The Latham Opportune Express?" - It was like something out of Mein Kampf)

The choice of Latham was the biggest free kick any party has ever received in a Federal Election...

I struggle to believe the ALP could have won 17 seats in 2004 with Beasley in charge, they would possibly have done better than losing the 5 that they did but a 17 seat swing would have been enormous.

14 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I struggle to believe the ALP could have won 17 seats in 2004 with Beasley in charge, they would possibly have done better than losing the 5 that they did but a 17 seat swing would have been enormous.

I can tell you that Senior PPL in the party were pretty worried that it would go down to the wire... this was when I was working for the party.

I agree with you that the Coalition probably would have held on but I think you can see the difference Latham made to things by comparing his performance at the ballot with that of Rudd's success at the next election. The reason they are so far apart is genuinely put down to Latham's incompetence. 

Edited by cadete

6 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Most of the people Ive seen on these things have some kind of mild autism as it is anyway so a knock to the head would probably do them a world of good. For a group that have the pleasure of not having to use their muscles to do anything in their day, they are a bunch of grumpy pricks. 

50 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Taken to a new level? It was already on this level. Wait for the budget later tonight, 80% of the cost of a packet of cigarettes is tax lol ffs. And I don't even smoke (except for when drunk).

Edited by Tesla