Melbourne Football

TTIM: Things That Irk Me

Tesla

I volunteered to, I had a shit load of work I needed to get done and most of my clients arent in Victoria anyway, the office is dead which is fantastic too. Although I'm against this public holiday in principle I can't say i havent benefited from it.

Yep i am here enjoying catching up on my forum reading and getting $50 an hour isn't bad either

I volunteered to, I had a shit load of work I needed to get done and most of my clients arent in Victoria anyway, the office is dead which is fantastic too. Although I'm against this public holiday in principle I can't say i havent benefited from it.

When I worked for multinationals I always worked between Christmas and New Year. Often the only one in the building except for the 24/7 rostered staff. Personal productivity went through the roof. Also got to and from work in half the time.

When I worked for multinationals I always worked between Christmas and New Year. Often the only one in the building except for the 24/7 rostered staff. Personal productivity went through the roof. Also got to and from work in half the time.

Just out of curiosity what do you actually do for work?

TTIM;trying to have a conversation about the merits of gun control laws with American's.

Why can't people in Australia just accept that Americans like guns and it's not going to change? It's a different country, different culture, different history. And really it's not any of our concern tbh, US gun laws don't affect Australians. 

The other thing is, we don't tell Americans what to do. They tell us what to do. Whether it's through importing their culture or politically since we are basically their little bitch.

Not much you can do about either of those two things. 

Edited by Tesla

Why can't people in Australia just accept that Americans like guns and it's not going to change? It's a different country, different culture, different history. And really it's not any of our concern tbh, US gun laws don't affect Australians. 

The other thing is, we don't tell Americans what to do. They tell us what to do. Whether it's through importing their culture or politically since we are basically their little bitch.

true, but you don't have to like it all the same.

• Like 1

Would you apply that reasoning to other issues and other countries as well? And if not, why not?

true, but you don't have to like it all the same.

I agree.

I just find all the "Americans are stupid and crazy not banning guns herp derp" talk a big :droy:. They're not stupid and crazy, they have their reasons for having a big gun culture, and it's an extremely divisive issue over there, and not one that is as black and white as a comment like that would make it out to be. Even a lot of the people calling for greater gun control just want greater background checks, for example.

Interesting that gun control wasn't able to prevent a police shooting in Sydney yesterday 

Well we all know the argument, that those who want to use a gun for illegal activities can still get their hands on one, and so only responsible law-abiding citizens are really punished. And this is an example of that occurring. However, it can also be argued that while gun control isn't going to stop every incident like this occurring, it will reduce them, and that is a reasonable argument as well.

Would you apply that reasoning to other issues and other countries as well? And if not, why not?

It depends , I probably am being a bit of a hypocrite but like I said above I find it a bit annoying when people act like it's a black and white issue that can easily be solved.

But to answer your question, this is a democratic country we are talking about, where if the people have the will to change the laws relating to gun control they can. But it's an extremely divisive issue, and while I don't know the statistics on how many people are for and against various forms of gun control, I do know for sure that there will not be enough votes for the second amendment to be repealed in the foreseeable future.

In general, I do believe different countries have their own way of life, their own cultures, their own value/moral systems, and their own views what is considered acceptable and not acceptable. And I don't believe we should judge them based on our own culture. Much the same way that we can't judge events that happened in different time periods by our current views on what is acceptable and isn't.

So yes, in most circumstances I would apply the same reasoning. Now if you're talking about things like genocide, or really bad breaches of human rights, etc., then that is different.

FWIW I should probably give my opinion now that this can of worms has been opened, and in doing so I'm probably contradicting my earlier statements, but meh. Those who have read this forum for a while probably know I'm a believer in people having a certain level of freedom when it comes to guns. A level that's greater than we have in Australia, but probably not as much as in some US states. The fact is other countries have more or similar levels of guns per capita and don't experience the same issues that the US does. I am a firm believer that guns don't kill people, people kill people. But guns are a tool that makes killing people easier, there is no denying that. The problem in the US is a social problem and not a gun control problem. These school shootings etc really amount to a fairly small number of deaths, the reason the US has a large number of gun related deaths is a result of poor urban black people shooting other poor urban black people (pardon my lack of political correctness). If you wanted to make some sort of political comment by comparing Australia to the US, I'm surprised how many people don't comment on the fairly obvious difference in income inequality which leads to lower levels of crime. For example, if we had the same gun laws as the US, there is no way we would have anywhere near as many gun related deaths. I think that maybe more would be achieved in the US if they looked at how they can get people away from a life of crime, rather than the same old debate about gun control which will never go anywhere because the gun lobby is too strong and the people that love guns too many. But like I said, that's none of my business so whatever, if they're happy with how things are good for them, obviously trying to improve income inequality will hit their economy a bit and undermine their position as the sole world power and so I understand why not much will ever be achieved on that front either.

• Like 1

The reason why I keep an eye on the USA politics (as an aside from economics) is that it does have an influence on Australian politics. I'm with Tesla on the concept of what Americans do for their domestic laws is up to them. However we do know that the Shooters Party has long had a presence in the NSW parliament and last election two members got up in the Victorian Upper House. The Shooters Party take their cue from the American Gun Lobby. Earlier this year John Howard publicly came out against Abbot (who was still PM then) who had the intention of relaxing the gun laws. As Tesla says I'm old enough not to pass judgement on countries I don't live in.

As you can see I support strict gun control. I had a manager who was president of his local clay shooting gun club and every year would take off for a couple of weeks to shoot feral animals all over Australia. Now he wasn't enamoured of the current gun laws but he could not see a better overall solution either. He could tinker around the edges but no better solution.

The real shock to the middle class sensibilities are the mass shootings. And quite a few of these are done by mentally unstable people. Keeping guns off them is what will sooth the fragile conscience. If I look at Australia's mass shooting over the last 30 years or so: Hoddle Street (dickhead), Queen St (coroner found the murderer to be certifiably insane), NSW  (rogue cop), Port Arthur (mentally unstable). In the USA you get more of the same. And I don't care what the USA does or does not as long as it doesn't infect Australia.

• Like 1

Sorry, i only deal in facts. And the facts are despite gun control many firearms remain in the hands of criminals and dangerous organisations 

You are not dealing with facts you were using an isolated extreme situation to discuss a much bigger complex issue... 

We also have laws against Theft and Murder in this country but it doesn't stop PPL committing these crimes either but it does not mean that these laws should not exist?

Edited by cadete

Sunday grand finals.

fixed

i'd imagine the whole reason of having a sunday granny is to appeal to the tv audience and thereby a late final is probably done for bigger broadcasting deals (still annoying but understandable).

that said i've always found the idea of a sunday granny a weird one tho because i've always thought a sporting competition would want people to embrace / celebrate the biggest game of the season.  

aside from concerns people might have for a hangover leading into work the next day, i'd imagine the sunday granny lessons from the following day ticker tape celebrations / presentation to the fans & members for the victors. makes it much harder than it needs be for successful teams to celebrate their win with the broader fan base

• Like 2

fixed

i'd imagine the whole reason of having a sunday granny is to appeal to the tv audience and thereby a late final is probably done for bigger broadcasting deals (still annoying but understandable).

that said i've always found the idea of a sunday granny a weird one tho because i've always thought a sporting competition would want people to embrace / celebrate the biggest game of the season.  

aside from concerns people might have for a hangover leading into work the next day, i'd imagine the sunday granny lessons from the following day ticker tape celebrations / presentation to the fans & members for the victors. makes it much harder than it needs be for successful teams to celebrate their win with the broader fan base

anyone who complains is told "Monday is a public holiday"

and so it is. In NSW.

Qld recently swapped labour day to Monday but the current government is changing it back. Not a public holiday in NZ or Victoria.

• Like 1

anyone who complains is told "Monday is a public holiday"

and so it is. In NSW.

Qld recently swapped labour day to Monday but the current government is changing it back. Not a public holiday in NZ or Victoria.

cheers - things make a bit more sense as to why the NRL schedule their big game for this weekend.

makes it strange for why the FFA / A League still persist with a Sunday game tho :wub:

TTIM: That inevitable annoying female squeal your hear every time after a close feature race at the races when the photo is shown... shits me every time as you just know they would have had a $10 bet max on the thing.

Can i also add women who pick horses based on their names and nothing else but still win? My ex backed a $26 buck winner just due to the name ffs

If Andrews had half a brain he would have made the new holiday Monday. Anyone working on jobs across states had found these 4 days a nightmare 

There are such simple ways in which the country as a whole can improve productivity - without even getting on to the difficult stuff. The half-hour difference between Central Time and Eastern Time is one, and the farce over Daylight Saving is another.

Can i also add women who pick horses based on their names and nothing else but still win? My ex backed a $26 buck winner just due to the name ffs

I can beat that...

I took my Ex to the races for the first time earlier this year and a horse was playing up in the two year old race so they took it out of barriers I said to her quickly chose a horse on my phone and I will lay a bet.

She chose and I put two dollars on (Because I thought it had no chance - And it was its first start) and they jumped just as I got the bet on: $87 to 1 it paid and it then went on to win four races in a row accumulating in a Group One.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 2

I can beat that...

I took my Ex to the races for the first time earlier this year and a horse was playing up in the two year old race so they took it out of barriers I said to her quickly chose a horse on my phone and I will lay a bet.

She chose and I put two dollars on (Because I thought it had no chance - And it was its first start) and they jumped just as I got the bet on: $87 to 1 it paid and it then went on to win four races in a row accumulating in a Group One.

fmd and people wonder why I drink....

I can beat that...

I hope you're not actually telling (real) people that!

How about this:

"I was watching track work and "that horse" caught my eye.  I didn't want to you know alert the market, or whatever, so I waited right till just as they jumped before I go on it. Paid $87 and went on to win a few more for me too, including a group 1."

How much?  Oh mate, you know, enough (winks).

• Like 1

I hope you're not actually telling (real) people that!

How about this:

"I was watching track work and "that horse" caught my eye.  I didn't want to you know alert the market, or whatever, so I waited right till just as they jumped before I go on it. Paid $87 and went on to win a few more for me too, including a group 1."

How much?  Oh mate, you know, enough (winks).

Considering Hackett and Tomby were at this Function I can't really pull that line on here...

• Like 1