Melbourne Football

TTIM: Things That Irk Me

Tesla

TTIM: The amount of The Greens signs in my neighbors front yards. I think it's time to move.

Main Rd West.

Do not believe.

Moved just off summerville road a while back. These residents are always wanting the trucks banned from these streets yet actively oppose the East west link. 

OH and TTIM: The amount of Free Parking for Yarraville Signs also in my street.

TTIM: The amount of The Greens signs in my neighbors front yards. I think it's time to move.

Main Rd West.

Do not believe.

Moved just off summerville road a while back. These residents are always wanting the trucks banned from these streets yet actively oppose the East west link. 

Legit EWL stage 2 has to be the greatest thing to ever happen to someone living on/near summerville road. It will get the trucks out of residential areas in the inner west, and transform those suburbs. I don't understand why you would oppose it, and Labor should be championing it as the great project that it is for it's voters rather than opposing it.

Interesting also to see that the latest Fairfax poll has support for the EW Link at 59% and opposition to it at 29%

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/victoria-state-election-2014/victorian-election-poll-shows-napthine-government-remains-in-losing-position-20141113-11m6uz.html

The only reason it may be somewhat surprising is because the opponents are unemployed attention seeking communists who are desperate for someone to listen to their insane ramblings.

Where as the proponents are hard working everyday Australians who don't have the time to make as much noise as the communists.

• Like 2

Main Rd West.

Do not believe.

Legit EWL stage 2 has to be the greatest thing to ever happen to someone living on/near summerville road. It will get the trucks out of residential areas in the inner west, and transform those suburbs. I don't understand why you would oppose it, and Labor should be championing it as the great project that it is for it's voters rather than opposing it.

Most likely because it's not public transport.

Dieting

I got a mean Lamb kebab recipe you'll love. I think that Jamie poof did it. Low fat but tastes legit 

- 1kg of lean lamb mince, mixed with bread crumbs and cumin power ( just guess the amount, I do)

- 1/4 head of Red cabbage

- 1/4  head of lettuce. 

- Whole grain flat bread.

- White Vinegar 

- Low Fat Greek Yogurt 

- Crush Garlic in a jar

Make the lamb into a poo shape and chuck em on a hot grill pan and cook till lightly charred.

Meanwhile sherd lettuce then seperataly shred Cabbage. Add some white vinegar to the Red cabbage and smash with ya hands.

Add crushed garlic to greek yogurt to make garlic sauce. Taste as you add to get it right. Then grill the flat bread and thats it.

Once the lamb is cooked put it on a the flat bread, add lettuce, red cabbage and garlic sauce. 

Tasted amazing and its healthy. Thank me later.

• Like 2

Dieting

I got a mean Lamb kebab recipe you'll love. I think that Jamie poof did it. Low fat but tastes legit 

- 1kg of lean lamb mince, mixed with bread crumbs and cumin power ( just guess the amount, I do)

- 1/4 head of Red cabbage

- 1/4  head of lettuce. 

- Whole grain flat bread.

- White Vinegar 

- Low Fat Greek Yogurt 

- Crush Garlic in a jar

Make the lamb into a poo shape and chuck em on a hot grill pan and cook till lightly charred.

Meanwhile sherd lettuce then seperataly shred Cabbage. Add some white vinegar to the Red cabbage and smash with ya hands.

Add crushed garlic to greek yogurt to make garlic sauce. Taste as you add to get it right. Then grill the flat bread and thats it.

Once the lamb is cooked put it on a the flat bread, add lettuce, red cabbage and garlic sauce. 

Tasted amazing and its healthy. Thank me later.

TTIM: That Jamie poof.

TTIM: How we can't have a long term renting system like they do in Europe and to some extent New York...

Because TBH I really don't care about owning land I just want put down my stuff and stay there.

I reckon that's the primary motivation for a lot of people to buy their own house, it's an overrated investment and only really worth it so you can have somewhere to, as you say, put down your stuff and stay there.

FWIW, I don't see how there is a substantial difference between paying $250 a week in rent plus putting $100 a week into a savings account, as opposed to paying $350 a week in mortgage repayments (since in a way it's a savings as well as you are building up equity while also being able to redraw if you need $$$). There's your long term renting system :up:

Edited by Tesla

If you look at it from a simple dollar for dollar comparison no there's not much difference Tesla. But it depends on what you want to end up with by the end of it. By the time we have sunk the same amount of money into the same property let's say 10-15 years, you renting and me buying, you may have saved up 50k-75k on the side with your $100 a week, while the property I have has almost doubled in value and is worth 10 times as much as your money, further allowing me a lot more options and wealth than your money that's sitting there stagnant.

If you look at it from a simple dollar for dollar comparison no there's not much difference Tesla. But it depends on what you want to end up with by the end of it. By the time we have sunk the same amount of money into the same property let's say 10-15 years, you renting and me buying, you may have saved up 50k-75k on the side with your $100 a week, while the property I have has almost doubled in value and is worth 10 times as much as your money, further allowing me a lot more options and wealth than your money that's sitting there stagnant.

You're assuming the obscene growth that has occurred in the housing market over the last decade is normal. It is not, and it is finished.

You're also assuming I haven't quadrupled my money on the share market or elsewhere in that time.

I also think you're too dependent on government legislation when investing in property, as really its only a bunch if government legislation that makes it a worthwhile investment (capital gains tax exemption, negative gearing, first home buyers grant, etc.). Government legislation is very easily subject to change.

The TLDR in regard to property is:

If you want to live somewhere for a long time, eg 10+ years then buy. If you want to have flexibility and/or don't want to live in the same place forever, rent but save and invest in other things.

The last bit is important though, you can't expect to be better of financially when renting if you're not investing in something else.

Of course, financial considerations aren't the only considerations. Money isn't everything.

Edited by Tesla

If you have a decent income then buying is defiantly better. I dont particularly earn heaps but with the Mrs it's over 100k. That's the bench mark imo. Have atleast a 70 k deposit and don't spend over 450 and you'll be just fine. Should have the house paid off in 12 years and you can thumb your nose at the renter's.

I wouldn't buy right this second though. The market is well and truly gonna burst.

It 'defiantly' isn't always better, it depends how long you are going to own it like I said above, because otherwise fees and taxes associated with buying & selling will outweigh any benefit.

The fact of the matter is, even with the above normal returns that have been experienced in the property market over the last 10 years, average annual return was 6.1% while the stock market average annual return was 9.2%. Like I also said, it's really only government legislation that makes property a worthwhile option, as you won't have to pay tax on that return if you live their for a year.

And I dont see many properties tripling your money over the last 5 years like major bank shares would have.

Edited by Tesla

You're assuming the obscene growth that has occurred in the housing market over the last decade is normal. It is not, and it is finished.

You're also assuming I haven't quadrupled my money on the share market or elsewhere in that time.

I also think you're too dependent on government legislation when investing in property, as really its only a bunch if government legislation that makes it a worthwhile investment (capital gains tax exemption, negative gearing, first home buyers grant, etc.). Government legislation is very easily subject to change.

The TLDR in regard to property is:

If you want to live somewhere for a long time, eg 10+ years then buy. If you want to have flexibility and/or don't want to live in the same place forever, rent but save and invest in other things.

The last bit is important though, you can't expect to be better of financially when renting if you're not investing in something else.

Of course, financial considerations aren't the only considerations. Money isn't everything.

Of course without dismissing the fact that you can invest the money in shares and potentially make a profit, property without fail is the one constant that continues to rise throughout history as far back as you want to go. Sure there are some bumps along the way where it drops but without fail it rises back up and continues to climb and will continue to do so. And it's well known the share market is a lot more volatile and subject to change than the property market, I know as I also invest in shares, so to assume you would make the same profit is a bit over confident. I could easily bet my property would increase in value a lot more than your share portfolio,over the same time frame. Your also assuming that my intentions when buying property is to rent out the property when my plans to make a vast profit may be quite different. For this reason buying property will always be king, over renting.

Adding to that most property people tend to agree that property has had a habit throughout history of doubling in value every 7-10 years going through its customary pause or "slow period." So yes the property market did boom and it has slowed, but as long as we don't have a property crash without fail over the next couple of years it will pick up again.

Edited by n i k o

Tesla you are overlooking the proposition that most people might say"yeah I'll save that 100 like tesla says", but then spend it.

Haven't regretted buying.

yeah I'm well aware and it's a great point to make, that is definitely a big advantage of buying, in that it forces you to put your money into paying off your house.

Edited by Tesla

It 'defiantly' isn't always better, it depends how long you are going to own it like I said above, because otherwise fees and taxes associated with buying & selling will outweigh any benefit.

True but I'm assuming most people buy their first home for the long run. Im happy living where I am for the rest of my life so I guess I'm giving my personal opinion based on my situation. It made no sense for me to rent coz we only borrowed 340k and we're very happy living in the outer south east.

• Like 1

TTIM: The international rules series.

Shit concept, shit game and what's the point of risking the afls biggest stars for something that nobody gives a shit about?

You mean that watching professional sportsmen lose against postmen and tradies who happen to play in a semi-pro league isn't an international sporting event?

• Like 2

TTIM: Dates for Drake's Australian tour being announced, and the one fucking time he comes to Australia coincides perfectly with the one fucking time I'm going to be outside of the country.

Is it bad that I laughed?

DW thinking of Tesla with his arms around his Missus swaying to Drake made me laugh as well.

• Like 1