Melbourne Football

Liam Miller

Cityscape

One of my favourite players when he was with the Glory. Problems at the Roar may have led to a drop in form recently but maybe will be re-invigorated  when playing for us. As has already been said, hopefully this means we won't have to send Kalmar onto the pitch FFS :hkpalm:

At least the club is looking to fill gaps with players who've shown some quality rather than continuing to use the same old cattle.

I suspect the one game thing is bs, but who knows.

Me too, especially considering we have a foreign spot free plus Germano's injury.

If he puts in a good performance this weekend, I'd expect the club to make a logical decision.

You expect to make a what decision.

boy you must have bumped your head.

look up heart/city dictionary and the word logical is non existent.

Thank fuck we don't have to entertain starting Kalmar now.

I remember seeing this guy score against Lyon at some ungodly hour whilst back at Uni in Perth and thinking Celtic had discovered another possible superstar.

Alas it was not to be but it will still be good for Braveheart, Bannon, myself and a few other Celts to see a player who has worn the Hoops at such a level playing for our local side this Sunday.

Ok Braveheart, Bannon, myself and a few other Celts... when's the day we are going to wear kilts to a match ????

I remember seeing this guy score against Lyon at some ungodly hour whilst back at Uni in Perth and thinking Celtic had discovered another possible superstar.

Alas it was not to be but it will still be good for Braveheart, Bannon, myself and a few other Celts to see a player who has worn the Hoops at such a level playing for our local side this Sunday.

Ok Braveheart, Bannon, myself and a few other Celts... when's the day we are going to wear kilts to a match ????

Sorry mate but we are all from Irish stock rather than Scottish... and we can't play the bagpipes.

• Like 2

Sorry mate but we are all from Irish stock rather than Scottish... and we can't play the bagpipes.

bugger! but there are Irish pipe band s and Irish Kilts !!!!

you're not getting out of it that  easily

I suspect the one game thing is bs, but who knows.

Me too, especially considering we have a foreign spot free plus Germano's injury.

If he puts in a good performance this weekend, I'd expect the club to make a logical decision.

it has suprised me a little that Miller has been allowed to come in as a replacement player as part of a 'National Team List' as opposed to 'Injury Replacement List' given (a.) Miller is a visa player replacing a local player and (b.) Koren is surely a long term injury - particularly since the a league rules don't seem to state the minimum length of time a player must be out for to be long term.

in any case, i'm sure the club has thought things through (or at least somewhat thought things through).  

i suspect the club just wanted to get Miller registered, so the National Team's list was probably the quicker option.  the A League injury replacement process requires FFA medical tests, etc., before any replacement can be signed.  at least this way Miller gets signed quickly and then the medical tests can be done for Koren.

of course, if Mauk is away for longer the club could still possibly use the National Team list 

Edited by mattyh001

bugger! but there are Irish pipe band s and Irish Kilts !!!!

you're not getting out of it that  easily

Yeah, the only time an Irishman can get away with the Kilt is when playing the Bagpipes...

Miller isnt a visa player I thought

I don't think anyone has seen a copy of this particular player replacement rule, but given that a foreign injury replacement player does not count as a visa player it's reasonable to assume the same.

I think that the last we read is that the club may still fill the remaining visa place in the January transfer window, and is still looking at the left-back position as well.

I can't see the short-term signing of Miller, even if extended as an injury replacement, as interfering with any longer-term plans. 

Can't we get him in the Jan transfer window. let him play 1 game now and then pick him up in Jan? i'm not sure how it works so can some1 clarify? 

as i understand it,  if he is un-contracted he can sign with anyone at any time.

Not dissimilar to any other league.

The transfer window only relates to players transfers between two clubs.  If you have no club then you are not transferring.

He probably was off to Malaysia aka the land where Australians football careers go to die until he got another offer in Australia. The league is corrupt as all hell and players regularly don't get paid I know where id rather be playing. Especially since it was Sarawak he was rumoured to be off to.

FIFA rules only allow for a player to play competitive games for 2 clubs (and be on the books of 3) between July 1st and June 30 each year, so since he played for Brisbane, and will play for us, he won't be able to play for another club until July 1st 2015.

So unless he is retiring, I see this being more than a 1 game stint.

Edited by Tesla

I thought JVS said we had too many midfielders as it was, so as an injury/international duty replacement it is fine but makes no sense for longer term.

Wonder how Kalmar feels about all of this, as it certainly seem to show a lack of confidence in him. At this rate he might as well ask for a transfer to a NPL club in a few months, as can't see another HAL club being interested. Mind you, if Cernak can be recycled as many times as he has, theres a chance that someone might take a chance :)

Edited by Heart_fan

I thought JVS said we had too many midfielders as it was, so as an injury/international duty replacement it is fine but makes no sense for longer term.

Wonder how Kalmar feels about all of this, as it certainly seem to show a lack of confidence in him. At this rate he might as well ask for a transfer to a NPL club in a few months, as can't see another HAL club being interested. Mind you, if Cernak can be recycled as many times as he has, theres a chance that someone might take a chance :)

I used to be a big Kalmar fan as he obviously has ability, but it's evident that he hasn't really lived up to that potential and at his age, likely never will.

It's a real shame, he's never really been fit enough and back injuries are pretty hard to come back from.

i tend to think they've signed him on as a national team replacement (so 1-2 games) as a trial, and may then look to sign him on for the rest of the season if he performs. The short term deal offers security for us if it blows up on the weekend etc. It's likely that if he does sign for the remainder of the season it will be on bugger all too.

Miller seems like a trouble maker.

He's no trouble maker! He just stood up for his rights!

You only have to look at the performances of the Roar and the problems in the dressing room to know where the issue is.

Miller is a great asset if not playing every week, then mentoring our younger players.

You only have to look at the performances of the Roar and the problems in the dressing room to know where the issue is.

Miller is a great asset if not playing every week, then mentoring our younger players.

What rights does he have? When asked to play youth - you play youth.  He isn't a superstar that is except from his responsibilities. 

You don't cry and fabricate part of a story to make yourself look good - then ask for a release.

He can "mentor" our young up and coming players (eg Melling, Retre etc) to teach them to ask for a release if they're not getting a game.  

Great ethics this Miller!

What rights does he have? When asked to play youth - you play youth.  He isn't a superstar that is except from his responsibilities. 

You don't cry and fabricate part of a story to make yourself look good - then ask for a release.

He can "mentor" our young up and coming players (eg Melling, Retre etc) to teach them to ask for a release if they're not getting a game.  

Great ethics this Miller!

Apparently he was dropped without any explanation as to why this was the case from Mulvey, if true, I can understand why he's upset.

Regardless, I don't think you're quite privy to the inner workings of Brisbane Roar or Liam Miller's mind, so you making a judgment on his 'ethics' is reaching a little.

Edited by King Malta