Melbourne Football

Round 6: City v Central Coast Mariners

Hammerhead

When: Sunday 16th November

Where: Ammi Park

KO: 5:00 pm (Local) (AEDST) - 6:00 am Manchester (UTC/GMT).

Referee: Adam Fielding

Assistant Referee 1: Luke Brennan

Assistant Referee 2: Jonathan Barreiro

Fourth Official: Patrick Chaplin

Squads:

Melbourne City FC: 1.Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 3.Robbie WIELAERT, 5.Erik PAARTALU, 7.Iain RAMSAY, 11.Damien DUFF, 14.James BROWN, 15.David WILLIAMS, 17.Jason HOFFMAN, 18.Paulo RETRE, 19.Ben GARUCCIO, 20.Tando VELAPHI (GK) 23.Mate DUGANDZIC, 24.Patrick KISNORBO ©, 25 Jacob MELLING, 26.Marc MARINO, 27.Ross ARCHIBALD, 28.Liam MILLER

***One to be omitted***

Ins: 19.Ben GARUCCIO (promoted), 28.Liam MILLER (National Replacement Player)

Outs: 6.Aaron MOOY (international duty)

Central Coast Mariners Squad: 1.Matt NASH (Gk), 3.Josh ROSE, 4.Jacob POSCOLIERO, 5.Zac ANDERSON, 7.John HUTCHINSON ©, 8.Nick MONTGOMERY, 9.Mitchell DUKE, 10.Anthony CACERES, 11.Nick FITZGERALD, 12.Liam REDDY (Gk), 14.Malick MANÉ, 15.Matt SIM, 17.Richárd VERNES, 18.Glen TRIFIRO, 21.Michael NEILL, 23.Isaka CERNAK, 25.Eddy BOSNAR, 26.KIM Seung-yong

***two to be omitted***

Ins: 5.Zac ANDERSON (promoted), 8.Nick MONTGOMERY (promoted), 26.KIM Seung-yong (promoted)

Outs: 2.Storm ROUX (International Duty)

Form:

City:

DDLLW

CCM:

WLLL

Last Meeting (A-league):

23rd March 2014.

Melbourne Heart 1 - 2 Central Coast Mariners

Betting: TAB: City 1.80 - Draw 3.50 - CCM 4.25 (as at 15/11/14 @8am)

Sportsbet:City 1.83 - Draw 3.40 - CCM 4.30 (as at 15/11/14 @8am)

Will Continue to update the OP with news updates and other info until KO.

Edited by Hammerhead
  • Like 1

Sitting back and playing on the counter has worked against the Roar (not for the first time).

What's the plan for getting past two banks of 5 defenders?

Passing the ball around defense for a few minutes, passing to Hoffman who'll have space to run forward only for him to go back towards Redmayne. Repeat.
  • Like 1

Assuming we will be playing the same formation I would go with the following side:

Redmayne

Hoffman          Kisnorbo        Wielart       Garuccio

Paartalu

Mauk        Melling

Duff                                                        Dugandzic

Williams

Velaphi, Marino, Archibald, Brown, Kalmar

I'm hoping Mauk is available, I'm baffled as to why he isn't in ay of our squads because he is our best young prospect. Kalmar is next in line for the Mooy replacement role.

Assuming we will be playing the same formation I would go with the following side:

Redmayne

Hoffman          Kisnorbo        Wielart       Garuccio

Paartalu

Mauk        Melling

Williams

Velaphi, Marino, Archibald, Brown, Kalmar

I'm hoping Mauk is available, I'm baffled as to why he isn't in ay of our squads because he is our best young prospect. Kalmar is next in line for the Mooy replacement role.

I think mauk and garuccio are both away aswell

Sunday 5pm, shittest time slot. 8k

Agreed but we rarely get less than our number of members to a home game, and coming off a win with what would have been a big Saturday night tv audience I am confident we will see over 12k

Strong optimism, though it's possible this could be our first crowd of 10k+ without some sort of sideshow attached to it. 

Redmayne

Hoffman          Kisnorbo        Wielart      Ramsay

Paartalu

Kalmar        Melling

Williams

This will be a much harder task for us. The onus is on us to play the ball as CCM will sit back and counter-attack so it's much harder for us to get in behind their defence.

We won't have Mooy

We are likely to have Murdocca

A well structured defence coupled with a difficulty with rapid ball movement in the final third will make it harder to score as we are unlikely to pull CCM out of shape. 

CCM's use of width is likely to expose our full backs in a way that Roar didn't.

2 reasonable games in a row from Redmayne is too much to ask for.

Midfield crisis for this match. 2 injured and 2 on international duty ( not sure why we are playing when it's an international week?)

To win this game we will need to be able to break down the ccm bus and deal with them on the break.

The accurate passing game of the forgotten kalmar could see him make a shock return, though definitely a risky move. More likely he'll be on the bench with retire holding his spot by default and melling in for mooy.

Midfield crisis for this match. 2 injured and 2 on international duty ( not sure why we are playing when it's an international week?)

To win this game we will need to be able to break down the ccm bus and deal with them on the break.

The accurate passing game of the forgotten kalmar could see him make a shock return, though definitely a risky move. More likely he'll be on the bench with retire holding his spot by default and melling in for mooy.

This is really the first time we have ever had to deal with international duties, it's a good thing that we have to and we need to show a bit of depth. Good teams have to deal with this kind of stuff and thats where were hoping to get to

This is really the first time we have ever had to deal with international duties, it's a good thing that we have to and we need to show a bit of depth. Good teams have to deal with this kind of stuff and thats where were hoping to get to

No, in season 2 and 3 we had Behich, Babalj, Marrone, Garcia off on International Duty.

Redmayne

Hoffman wielaert kisnorbo Ramsay

Paartalu

Melling Duff

Dugandzic Williams Brown

Velaphi Archibald Marino Kalmar Retre

Will be an excrutiatingly boring game of football probably identical to v Newcastle. If we aren't going to use duff centrally you'd have to drop brown and bring Kalmar in centrally. JVS doesn't seem keen on using Kalmar though but can't see where any creativity will come from without using him and is capable of pulling something out of his arse occasionally which is sometimes what you need to beat teams like CCM. Wonder what 1-0 to CCM is paying.

• Like 1

I can't understand why the weekend's games ar not suspended on international week.

Surely the TV companies would want the best players playing in the A League

So who is missing from next week's game apart from Mooy?

Mauk is the only other player missing for us.

In regards to TV companies wanting the best players playing  Foxtel (Who broadcast every game) doesn't care about the international breaks because if the A-League had them then most likely we would cut into the AFL and NRL seasons. Meaning they would lose ratings. I don't think many people care too much about the players going away apart from the managers of the clubs anyway to make a significant difference in ratings.

Edited by JoyfulPenguin

I can't understand why the weekend's games ar not suspended on international week.

Surely the TV companies would want the best players playing in the A League

So who is missing from next week's game apart from Mooy?

Mauk is the only other player missing for us.

In regards to TV companies wanting the best players playing  Foxtel (Who broadcast every game) doesn't care about the international breaks because if the A-League had them then most likely we would cut into the AFL and NRL seasons. Meaning they would lose ratings. I don't think many people care too much about the players going away apart from the managers of the clubs anyway to make a significant difference in ratings.

Well I guess that what happens when you are third choice behind the other codes

Hopefully one day it will be different

Well it will be interesting who JVS picks next week

I think the back 5 will be the same.

Personally I would bring in Melling for Retre and Garuccio for Mooy

However I would move Dugandzic to the right and bring Duff into the middle

So my team would be:

Redmayne

Hoffman Kisnorbo Weilhart Ramsey

Paartalu

Melling Duff

Dugandzic Williams Garuccio

However, I tihnk JVS may bring in Melling, but also Kalmar or Murdocca if fit for Mooy

• Like 1