Melbourne Football

Youth team to take part in NPL1

Fentonthescreamingcactus

Personally I don't think any A-League clubs or any team anywhere in the world should be allowed to have youth teams in lower leagues. It devalues the clubs that play in those leagues making them nothing more than reserve teams and allows the bigger clubs even more of an advantage. Clubs already at the top of their leagues should not be given concessions like this making it harder and harder for small clubs to have a chance of even recruiting decent talent. The one disadvantage for bigger clubs is not being able to develop all of their younger talent every club is as important as every other and bigger clubs shouldn't have such a huge and unfair advantage like this. 

• Like 1

Personally I don't think any A-League clubs or any team anywhere in the world should be allowed to have youth teams in lower leagues. It devalues the clubs that play in those leagues making them nothing more than reserve teams and allows the bigger clubs even more of an advantage. Clubs already at the top of their leagues should not be given concessions like this making it harder and harder for small clubs to have a chance of even recruiting decent talent. The one disadvantage for bigger clubs is not being able to develop all of their younger talent every club is as important as every other and bigger clubs shouldn't have such a huge and unfair advantage like this.

But it's a lot better for developing players. Look at the last 2 WC winners, both have B teams rather than reserve teams.

Is this a much higher standard than the youth league?

Of course. I don't think it's been confirmed, but the youth team will still play in the youth league as well, as the whole point of doing this was for young players to play more games.

JP I would agree with you if promotion to the A League was automatic from the NPL

However, it isn't and if this gives us the opportunity to play our youngsters at a higher level then I believe that is something we must do.

on top of the younger players getting more game time this system will also mean that the club can trail players for a lot more games instead of a few freindly's

I just think it is a tad disrespectful to some of the old clubs even if we are dancing on their graves in the A-League. Most of these clubs were playing at the highest level in this country only 12 years ago. Even without promotion and relegation it just makes these clubs nothing more than player development for us and the Visitors.

• Like 2

Im from Perth so dont really care about the history of the state competition, but I dont see whats wrong with clubs having multiple teams in multiple divisions, as happens in local amateur competitions. 

I'd be fine with it if none of the state clubs had played at a national level. A few of these clubs do still have some sort of  fan bases and this just strips these clubs of even more of their dignity. This is the highest level these clubs can play at and it devalues the competition immensely further saying that these clubs contribute no more than player development for A-League clubs. This is even more disrespectful consider there is a direct link competitive link between the A-League and State league clubs. 

• Like 2

JP I would agree with you if promotion to the A League was automatic from the NPL

However, it isn't and if this gives us the opportunity to play our youngsters at a higher level then I believe that is something we must do.

on top of the younger players getting more game time this system will also mean that the club can trail players for a lot more games instead of a few freindly's

I just think it is a tad disrespectful to some of the old clubs even if we are dancing on their graves in the A-League. Most of these clubs were playing at the highest level in this country only 12 years ago. Even without promotion and relegation it just makes these clubs nothing more than player development for us and the Visitors. Well said.

JP (JoyfulPenguin) do you oppose the AIS being in the NPL for the same reasoning you use above?

No I don't and this probably sounds hypocritical. The difference for me with the AIS is that they're developing talent for not only us and the Visitors but any including state league teams. I actually advocate for having an AIS side in the A-League similar to the WNBL who had one up until recently very successfully (winning the world champs when they had one) but that's another point altogether. These state league clubs for the first time since the A-League began now have a tangible link between them and the top flight (through the FFA Cup). By pushing ourselves further ahead by simply using them to develop OUR youth it not only devalues the state league competions but the FFA Cup as well. Also after the ethnic cleansing of the A-League surely these clubs deserve some sort of respect for carrying our sport for so long? They definitely don't deserve to be threatened by the FFA for daring to vote against us. This most likely sounded rambling and incoherent but I just don't believe we have a right to push ourselves further ahead of these clubs.

JP (JoyfulPenguin) do you oppose the AIS being in the NPL for the same reasoning you use above?

No I don't and this probably sounds hypocritical. The difference for me with the AIS is that they're developing talent for not only us and the Visitors but any including state league teams. I actually advocate for having an AIS side in the A-League similar to the WNBL who had one up until recently very successfully (winning the world champs when they had one) but that's another point altogether. These state league clubs for the first time since the A-League began now have a tangible link between them and the top flight (through the FFA Cup). By pushing ourselves further ahead by simply using them to develop OUR youth it not only devalues the state league competions but the FFA Cup as well. Also after the ethnic cleansing of the A-League surely these clubs deserve some sort of respect for carrying our sport for so long? They definitely don't deserve to be threatened by the FFA for daring to vote against us. This most likely sounded rambling and incoherent but I just don't believe we have a right to push ourselves further ahead of these clubs.

JP

I can understand your point of view, but I believe that us and the tards entering youth teams will only enhance the league

Of course our youth teams won't be part of the FFA Cup, so I don't see them holding back the NPL teams

JP fact the NPL clubs are part of the rich 100 year plus history of the game here in Oz.  No one can take that away.

Right now though, football wise they are feeder clubs to the A league, or collection points for discards and never willbes.  I guess you don't want to hear that, but its true.  I doubt there is one single player playing NPL who would knock back an A League contract.  Adding or not adding NYL sides to the NPL1 is not going to change that.

i'm a little torn on this.

where i was born and raised (Ballarat in Western VIctoria) there is a VFL club the North Ballarat Roosters (VFL being the 2nd tier to the AFL for those not so into other football codes).  The Roosters joined the VFL in the mid 1990s' to compete at a higher level.

In the process they had to agree to leave the local competition (the BFL) to avoid the Roosters from becoming the centre of the league through concerns the Roosters would be constantly stealing the best local players through its ability to offer local talent better pathways and more money (since the Roosters have built their operations on the success and branding they have within and around the VFL).

10 years later and the club is back in the BFL through having a secondary feeder club (that is the Roosters play in both the VFL and BFL).  after slow going initially (due to player transfer limitations) the Roosters are now starting to dominate the local competition.  simply put, the Roosters are able to use their stronger resources from operating in the VFL (for what is now nearly 20 years) to mold a local Ballarat side that is just so strong.

in context of the NPL developments, the allowance of both us and the visitors is a concern for the NPL being a vibrant league.  if things go unchecked, it basically allows both A League clubs to get the rule of the roost here in Victoria.  as much as i want to see us succeed and believe the club needs more at youth level, this development is more concerning since i think that it decreases the value of playing in the NPL - we are basically robbing Peter to pay Paul.

however, i can see some benefit where the FFV and FFA place strong conditions on the City and Visitor NPL sides.  ie; limit on players over 22, must not have played more than X number of games in the a league for the last 18 months, can not be an overage visa player.  

the more opportunities A League clubs get to develop pathways for junior players the better.  one of my concerns previously was with the links between the A League and all other comps.  in the past, other non A League clubs seemed to get screwed when it came to transfer and the lack of transfer fees.  this wont necessarily help that, but maybe this is the first of many steps to bring the A League closer together with state comps.  

Edited by mattyh001

JP

I can understand your point of view, but I believe that us and the tards entering youth teams will only enhance the league

Of course our youth teams won't be part of the FFA Cup, so I don't see them holding back the NPL teams

I know I'm a few days late to respond to this, so I hope you actually read this, Silva, but out of sheer interest where do you stand on the idea of Football League Three and Manchester City B? Since it's essentially the same issue only writ large, and with a lot more emotion-driven arguments, that is.

Not trying to counter your arguments or dispute anything, just genuinely interested as to where you stand.

Edited by Falastur

JP

I know I'm a few days late to respond to this, so I hope you actually read this, Silva, but out of sheer interest where do you stand on the idea of Football League Three and Manchester City B? Since it's essentially the same issue only writ large, and with a lot more emotion-driven arguments, that is.

Not trying to counter your arguments or dispute anything, just genuinely interested as to where you stand.

We shouldn't have a B team in those Leagues as they stand Falastur.

We would be stopping teams from progressing, even if we couldn't get promoted.

The only time I would be in favour of a B team would be if for some reason the lower leagues became regional leagues. However, I can't see this happening.

If the NPL teams could be promoted to the A League then I would also be against the youth team being allowed to play in the NPL.

• 4 weeks later...

JP

The only time I would be in favour of a B team would be if for some reason the lower leagues became regional leagues. However, I can't see this happening.

If the NPL teams could be promoted to the A League then I would also be against the youth team being allowed to play in the NPL.

I don't actually see why this should happen. I don't see why 'B' teams cannot be promoted and relegated the same as any other team, except that they cannot be promoted into the same level as their 'A' team. If on final standings the 'B' Team should do this, then it doesn't happen and the next best 'non-B' team takes its place instead.

IMO we're looking for problems instead of looking for solutions.

I don't actually see why this should happen. I don't see why 'B' teams cannot be promoted and relegated the same as any other team, except that they cannot be promoted into the same level as their 'A' team. If on final standings the 'B' Team should do this, then it doesn't happen and the next best 'non-B' team takes its place instead.

IMO we're looking for problems instead of looking for solutions.

The issue is that for every B team that gets promoted, there's a senior team which has only had its progress up the ladder blocked because a bigger club came and dropped their reserves down right next to them. It's like if you work in a small satellite office for a major company and everyone is happy because you can see your career progression and you know what is involved to get promoted, but then the head office decides to increase productivity by taking two dozen of their best staff and shoehorning them into your office - suddenly you're competing against a load of people for progression, and even if they aren't better qualified they are still making it far harder to get where you want to be - if you fail to get that promotion a couple of times when you would've got it otherwise, your long-term career starts to suffer.

My take on the situation is a little schizophrenic. I love the principle of B teams but can't stand ruining something which has existed for 100 years to make it work. I think I'm one of the half a dozen people in the entire country who thinks that the Football League Three idea is worth consideration because it creates its own space for the concept to work rather than distorting the original, but I'm realistic enough to admit that the idea would likely not work and would create just as many problems as not creating the extra division at all.

Edited by Falastur
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Some news on Melbourne City youth players:

Northcote City makes several changes to NPL squad ahead of 2015 season opener against Green Gully

TIM MICHELL

NORTHCOTE LEADER

JANUARY 21, 2015 10:05AM

A NEW-LOOK Northcote City is determined to set the foundations for prolonged National Premier League success in 2015.

City have lost several players from their inaugural NPL squad, with Trent Rixon (Port Melbourne), Adrian Chiapetta (Oakleigh), Michael Catalano (Richmond), Liam Wooding (South Australia) and Jonathan Munoz (Avondale FC) leaving John Cain Memorial Park.

The inclusion of Melbourne City’s youth team in NPL1 has also robbed Northcote of some of its most promising younger players, with Anthony Rizk and Phillip Petreski committed to the A-League club.

The future of star striker Wade Dekker also remains uncertain, with the prolific goalscorer among a group of players trialling for Melbourne City’s NPL1 squad.

“We’re waiting to hear back on what they’re going to do with Wade Dekker,” Northcote football operations manager Peter Kotsiris said.

“Wade actually becomes an over-age player and they’re only allowed to have three in the competition.

“There’s six boys vying for three spots.”

Kotsiris admitted it had been a summer of change at the club.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/central/northcote-city-makes-several-changes-to-npl-squad-ahead-of-2015-season-opener-against-green-gully/story-fngnvmox-1227191709460

MORTON TO JOIN MELBOURNE CITY

January 20, 2015

Damian P Gill

South Hobart Midfielder Nick Morton has been invited to join Melbourne City’s National Premier Leagues (NPL) squad for 2015.

Morton trialled with the A-League club twice prior to Christmas and has been invited to join the club’s new National Premier Leagues squad that will play in Victoria’s PS4 National Premier League 1 competition in 2014.

The 18 year old Attacking Midfielder said it was an opportunity that was simply too good to pass up.

“It is an opportunity that only really comes once in a lifetime so if I didn’t take this one there might no be any others,” said Nick Morton.

“But to have a club of that stature interested in me was a real honour,” he added.

Morton has made his name as one of the PS4 Victory League’s top players in the competition’s first two seasons. With his attacking flair and goal nouse, abilities that made him one of the state’s top midfielders and saw him selected for Tasmania in 2013 and 2014. The Mort-Hog (as he is affectionately known) believes it is those attacking characteristics that caught the eye of the Victorian A-League outfit.

“I think they like the way that I fit into their style of play, short sharp passing and engines to get forward and score goals,” he said.

“I had a few words with Joe the Coach and he asked what my favourite position was and I said a bit more attacking, a number 10 and he liked me in that area so yeah we will just see what happens,” he added.

Morton’s work rate has also been a key to his success locally and it is his commitment and engine that has played a major part in seeing him progress to an A-League club.

“When I went over there the trials were quite intense and I like that a lot, so I worked hard and obviously it paid off,” Morton said.

Although he will join up with the PS4 National Premier Leagues squad, the 18 year old midfielder from South Hobart has his sights firmly set on first team football in the A-League.

“I recon I’ll sign with the NPL team for this year but obviously I have ambitions to push on and maybe even try out for the first team at some stage because thats where I want to be,” he said.

It is a proud day for Nick’s Coach and Father Ken Morton, who has been with Nick every step of the journey.

“As a father very proud of him, also being his coach it is a compliment to the way we have worked with him but he has done a great job, he’s worked really hard to get this opportunity,” the South Hobart Coach said.

http://sliceofcheese.net/2015/01/20/morton-to-join-melbourne-city/

Seen Nick Morton play a fair bit. Certainly has the talent. One of the most promising players in the state. Would expect him to make the grade in the NPL at the very least.

On a side note, he makes Jack Clisby look like Brad Pitt. Been hit with the ugly stick numerous times.

* Insert boring inbred joke here *

Row puts country into City

By Sam Darroch

Jan. 22, 2015

SINCE catching the eye of Melbourne City youth coach Joe Palatsides last year, the ball has well and truly started rolling for Baley Row.

Along with Sale's Ash Ross, the Morwell 16 year-old was invited to train with City's development squad late last year after impressing in a Gippsland exhibition against Dandenong Thunder.

Some five sessions later Row was asked to join the club's newly formed National Premier League 1 youth team for the 2015 season, a potential gateway to the A-League.

"I had a few words with Joe and he sort of hinted at it, but I was still surprised, it was awesome," Baley said.

"Looking to just take it as it comes, but hopefully just want to make that move into the (A-League) youth team, just impress them because that's obviously the next stepping stone."

Already familiar with the NPL1, having played for Box Hill in the same league last season, the midfielder has a track record of fast progress.

He was recruited for Box Hill's under 16 side, was playing under 18s by season start and became a regular for the under 20 team halfway through the campaign.

By the end of the year the former Traralgon Olympian was training and playing practice matches with the seniors.

Row said the move to Melbourne-based football had done wonders for his game.

"I loved it, definitely my best year so far," he said.

"I had a good foundation, worked on my first touch and all that when I lived here but moving to Melbourne when you're playing around better players you can't sort of hide, you need to have a good touch, you need to be sharp and always check your runs, little things like that.

"It's a lot faster game... and a lot more competitive environment as well; you're always fighting for your position and there's a lot of players."

Fast becoming a pioneer for Gippsland juniors, Row was also the first player from the region to be offered the chance to train at the Central Coast Mariners for a week under the watch of Morwell legend, and personal inspiration, John Hutchinson in 2013.

There he spent time with the under 18 academy, International School of Football and the Mariners' first team.

It proved a defining week in Row's football career, reinforcing his desire to reach the top level.

"I've always worked hard but going up there was a huge eye-opener, seeing the type of players they were I came back here and thought 'alright if I want to be like them I've got to work harder'," Row said.

"I wanted to be able to be as good as them."

With his future at the Australian football giant now in his own hands, Row said he would continue to "worry about himself, keep trying to improve" and hopefully impress the right people.

Already he has Palatsides onside.

The City youth coach was initially impressed with Row's technical ability and game awareness, but more importantly came to respect his attitude and application.

He said Row was at an age where the club could develop him over a period of time, and he had all the right attributes at this point.

"We believe we can make them (players at his age) into a future A-League player," Palatsides said.

Row will begin pre-season training late January or early February.

New Pathway bears fruit

JUST two years in to Gippsland's relationship with Melbourne City, the region has produced a talent worthy of the A-League juggernaut's system.

Baley Row's selection in the prestigious club's NPL1 under 20s squad comes as a huge boon to the fledgling bond, established in 2013 largely by zone development officer Mark Cassar.

With the Gippsland Soccer League set to enter up to six additional teams in metropolitan competition this year as part of its Emerging Talent Program, including under 20s, Cassar said he hoped to see more talent identified for higher honours.

"We're hoping to give other players the same opportunity within our own structure here," Cassar said.

Until then, he believes Row can set a good example for aspiring Gippsland players.

"I think Baley has got a lot of the attributes that can hopefully get him to that highest level that he's aiming at," Cassar said.

"It's only an opportunity at the moment, for him to really put his head down and work hard, keep learning, ask questions and being around in a better competition with better players will give him that environment and hopefully grow."

Melbourne City youth coach Joe Palatsides said the club's interest in country areas had shown mutual benefit to date.

He said Row's selection was also a step in the right direction for the club's association with Gippsland and a guiding light for country players.

"It shows that there are talented young players that deserve to get a chance (in regional areas)," Palatsides said.

"I think now what that means is a lot of other players can see that it's a realistic dream to be involved in Melbourne City… that it isn't just a pipedream."

Moving forward the GSL hopes to offer its ETP sides, in particular the new under 20 outfit, more opportunity to engage with Melbourne City.

Expressions of interest for this year's ETP sides are now open on the GSL website or by phoning the office on 5134 8888.

http://www.latrobevalleyexpress.com.au/story/2828831/row-puts-country-into-city/

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How shit was the ground tho? Ended up making the trip and the ball seemed to be bobbling every time it was kicked along the ground.

Only was able to see the seniors but the game was pretty even up to half time. We came out and dominated the first 10 mins of the second half, only to be sucker punched by bulleen. As soon as they got the second goal shortly after bulleen just parked the bus for the rest of the game.

First time I've ever seen the team play and thoroughly enjoyed it. Will definitely be making more trips down if possible.

The under 20's was pretty decent too. Although it seems all of our keepers have some disease that causes them to go absolutely mental the moment they come off the line. In the first half the keeper came off the line and was lucky not to get himself sent off as he made a hash of a clearance and fouled the oncoming striker.

In the second half the keeper missed the ball entirely on a fairly regulation ball coming to his feet, only to be bailed out by his central defenders. The left back and captain (Joey?) looked class in the under 20's, up and down the wing all day and had a real physical presence about him, which is my only worry for the boys, they're all a fair bit younger then most of the other teams in the competition.