Melbourne Football

The Manager and Assistant Coaches Thread

Tesla

uwe rosler just sacked by Wigan good Cit links too

No chance coming here but had Brentford playing well before went to Wigan

Want him at Newcastle United.

No hope of coming here. He's a top manager in my opinion. Why did he leave Wigan?

Sacked with Wigan third-bottom of the table after three wins in 17 league games. One of those typical stories of a manager doing really well one season and then simply failing to find the correct formula the other side of a long pre-season.

Edited by Falastur

uwe rosler just sacked by Wigan good Cit links too

No chance coming here but had Brentford playing well before went to Wigan

Want him at Newcastle United.

No hope of coming here. He's a top manager in my opinion. Why did he leave Wigan?

Sacked with Wigan third-bottom of the table after three wins in 17 league games. One of those typical stories of a manager doing really well one season and then simply failing to find the correct formula the other side of a long pre-season.

Fair enough. I was following the Championship more closely last season so wasn't aware.

Amazingly how quick football clubs are to sack managers over there. No chance to rectify the season.

Would he consider a trip abroad? I think he's quality.

Fair enough. I was following the Championship more closely last season so wasn't aware.

Amazingly how quick football clubs are to sack managers over there. No chance to rectify the season.

Would he consider a trip abroad? I think he's quality.

Managers do get sacked very quickly over here (though not as fast as in Italy...) but Chairmen would justify it by saying that it's only because the stakes are so high. After all, the difference between promotion to the PL and staying in the Champs League is £100m in revenue, and that's if you only survive one season.

Would Rosler come over? Maybe, but only as a short term thing and I think he'd prefer to stay and establish his reputation before doing so. He's made no secret that he sees his future in English football and that's where he wants to be.

• Like 1

I would be looking no further than Josep Gombau. He has Adelaide looking quick and slick, the players are superbly fit and will play for each other until their last gasp - as per last night against Wellington. I'd say they are playing a notch or two above City in every department at the moment. I'm very impressed.

I don't know that van 't Schip will be moved aside at some stage, but I'd say compared with Gombau he needs to raise his vitality levels to get City up to the Adelaide level.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

I think Gombau has done a great job at Adelaide. I think it's important to note however that he's had the backing to build the team he wants. It's also half full of very good Spanish/Argentinians whatever, so he has been able to effectively communicate with them and get them to follow his plan. I think that is why he has been able to 'succeed' given the start they had last season.

I'm not sure if he would be as effective walking into a new team with different players, unless he was given the free rein to again build the team he wants. I don't think he'd be able to communicate his message as well as he has at Adelaide and there would be a lengthy period before the results would start to flow, if they did at all. Not taking away from his coaching ability - it's just that the situation at Adelaide seems to be a perfect fit for him at the moment.

I think Gombau has done a great job at Adelaide. I think it's important to note however that he's had the backing to build the team he wants. It's also half full of very good Spanish/Argentinians whatever, so he has been able to effectively communicate with them and get them to follow his plan. I think that is why he has been able to 'succeed' given the start they had last season.

I'm not sure if he would be as effective walking into a new team with different players, unless he was given the free rein to again build the team he wants. I don't think he'd be able to communicate his message as well as he has at Adelaide and there would be a lengthy period before the results would start to flow, if they did at all. Not taking away from his coaching ability - it's just that the situation at Adelaide seems to be a perfect fit for him at the moment.

Very good point. I guess I'm looking at this holistically - Adelaide seem to have a knack of finding these overseas players and fitting them inside the cap, and now they have a coach who fits those players. With CFG behind us we now ought to be able to do the same. So far there's always seemed to be something missing both in Heart and now City - we just don't seem to click as a unit.

Gombau has done well at AU and when he arrived many members of the squad were already in place. That would be true of any team that has already been in existence. And he walked into a club that had sacked Coolen, and then his successor, Kosmina, and the staff and players divided. It has only been only in this season that he has been able to have a greater control of the playing squad. What is impressive about Gombau is that he took the existing squad and began polishing them in a way that was unexpected. Then with players like Mabil he has given him skills that are rare for Australian based players to have.

Adelaide United overseas contingent are Carrusca, Ferreira (both preceded Gombau at AU), Sanchez, Cirio, and Isaias with the latter three being the imports that Gombau brought onboard. Cassio was originally a visa player who has acquired Australian citizenshi and he also preceded Gombau.

I would be very surprised that any manager is not allowed to build the team that they want. The only constraint, of course, is the budget. And I am sure that if AU had the money/connections they would have acquired Villa as well. Where Gombau has excelled is in lifting the skill levels of the bottom half of the playing squad. As far as communicating I don't think that is a language specific issue. It is just as likely whether the manager is a good communicator, has a clear vision of the style they want to play and has good man-management skills.

I would love to have Gombau at City but I would be just as keen to know some other coaches that the Barcelona academy has produced.

• Like 1

i just love how much passion gombau shows, we can only dream of our coaches doing knee slides and running onto the pitch to get to the scorer

This is because we would never score a goal to justify such celebrations. Can think of maybe 1 or 2 in our history? Willo against Sydney last year, and Aloisi against Adelaide in our first season.

Whereas I can remember Gombau doing this about 6 times in the past 1 and a bit years. He has instilled a winning mentality. They were completely out of ideas against Wellington on the weekend and still managed to get it over the line.

i just love how much passion gombau shows, we can only dream of our coaches doing knee slides and running onto the pitch to get to the scorer

Interesting you should bring this up. I remember at the fan forum someone telling Aloisi that we wanted to see more of him showing passion like he did when he won the Derby and his response was that he couldn't because he would get in trouble from the FFA. If that's the case, is Gombau getting heat from the FFA for his celebrations?

When Gombau got the job at Adelaide, quickly into his tenure he realised the quality of players he had could not play the style of game he wanted, hence why they looked like half-retards trying to play like Barcelona so Gombau changed their style to match the level of quality of his players.

JvS seems to have gone full-retard because he seems to think that Ramsay is a good left back, Redmayne is a great keeper, Hoffman is a rock at right back and Williams is another version of David Villa.

FFS whoever replaces JvS needs to know or quickly identify the strengths/weaknesses of our players and play to their strengths...or fuck them off and get better quality players...say from the Spanish Segunda Division!?!

Edited by jw1739

We need one of those slick mafia looking Spaniard or Italian gangsta managers ... so when the players screw up like they did yesterday, rather than be like "oh well, we'll keep learning and getting better and maybe we'll win something later in the season ...", they will instead fear for their lives, knowing that in all probability, one of them will end up encased in concrete as part of the slab foundation for City Group's new elite sports complex ...

For me the biggest screw up since the end of last season was the depletion of the defence. Last season out of the four regular starting line up defence player only Behich is gone because his loan spell finished. They released Walker and Mitchinson but kept Archibald. Germano has been a bit player at the back and in the mid-field and continues to be so. And that is it. They then try to shoe-horn Ramsay or Garrucio into LB with  underwhelming results. Hoffman is ordinary on the RB. But who to replace them with? There is no competition for the defensive spots.

It is possible that a new coach can come in and quickly assess the strength and weaknesses of our defensive back line and change the game plan to better suit the players at hand for the remainder of the season. But I would be astonished to find that such a person existed.

We need one of those slick mafia looking Spaniard or Italian gangsta managers ... so when the players screw up like they did yesterday, rather than be like "oh well, we'll keep learning and getting better and maybe we'll win something later in the season ...", they will instead fear for their lives, knowing that in all probability, one of them will end up encased in concrete as part of the slab foundation for City Group's new elite sports complex ... [emoji41][emoji378][emoji379][emoji380][emoji375][emoji373][emoji385][emoji383]

Diego Simeone looks the part

I don't believe you will see a new manager in before the end of December

Even if our results don't improve dramatically  JVS may be given until the end of the season,

CFG will play the long game and put the building blocks in place behind the scenes, like the training facilities convinced that they will eventually turn things around with ot without JVS.

I know that isn't what you want to hear, but they won't push the panic button until they are convinced they need to.

Gombau currently connects to our japanese cousin Yokohama F Marinos.

If CFG's goal is to win the AFC Champions League, Gombau is not enough. They need to splash money on some World Class manager like Lippi

Hi multi-million dollar team lost to Popovic's $3M team.

Haha, I am never a Guangzhou supporter.

I mean in his calibre, a world class coach

Even if our results don't improve dramatically  JVS may be given until the end of the season,

CFG will play the long game and put the building blocks in place behind the scenes, like the training facilities convinced that they will eventually turn things around with ot without JVS.

I know that isn't what you want to hear, but they won't push the panic button until they are convinced they need to.

I have no doubt you're spot on there silva. Of course the majority of the fans would be completely accepting of this, had they not seen it all before with the exact manager we have now.Things take time for a new manager to settle - less so someone who is almost a year into his current reign and got two and a half years into his first before disappearing for a few extra $$.

There is a rational fear that whilst CFG will do their best to ensure stability and structure, if the team continues to regress through poor coaching and poor performance, that the current membership total may be the biggest it ever gets.

• Like 1

Well Lowe at Perth Glory is not far behind in the celebration stakes either. I have also seen Mulvey animated. Me thinks that JA was stretching thngs a bit.

lowe looks like he has down syndrome or something, maybe he's still surprised he was given the job

Lowe has also shown in the transfer window that he has an eye for talent & has taken glory hole to the top playing good football & having keogh have a decent striker , we can only dream of having a coach that does this !

When Gombau got the job at Adelaide, quickly into his tenure he realised the quality of players he had could not play the style of game he wanted, hence why they looked like half-retards trying to play like Barcelona so Gombau changed their style to match the level of quality of his players.

JvS seems to have gone full-retard because he seems to think that Ramsay is a good left back, Redmayne is a great keeper, Hoffman is a rock at right back and Williams is an Indigenous Australian version of David Villa.

FFS whoever replaces JvS needs to know or quickly identify the strengths/weaknesses of our players and play to their strengths...or fuck them off and get better quality players...say from the Spanish Segunda Division!?!

Fixed for those that need to be wrapped up in cotton wool

Even if our results don't improve dramatically JVS may be given until the end of the season,

It's what I want to hear

• 3 months later...

I would say the next one will be a foreigner, but I think we could do a lot worse than Ante Milicic

I have no ideas about this...except that it the mental preparation that is failing at this club, and has failed right from the start.

Contrast what Merrick has done at Wellington.

Palatsides should be given the reigns until the end of the season. At least he will know which Youth team players have a bit of spine to perform on the big stage, because bringing shit like Hoffman and Ramsay off the bench is embarassing when you're the Youth League Champions.

• Like 4

Palatsides should be given the reigns until the end of the season. At least he will know which Youth team players have a bit of spine to perform on the big stage, because bringing shit like Hoffman and Ramsay off the bench is embarassing when you're the Youth League Champions.

It demonstrates a lack of forward planning more than anything, where are our youngsters coming through? 

It demonstrates a lack of forward planning more than anything, where are our youngsters coming through?

What you'll find is we have already had a number of youngsters join the senior squad, four as far as I'm aware of.