Melbourne Football

The Manager and Assistant Coaches Thread

Tesla

• 4 weeks later...

We overlooked Ante Milicic for JA because Aloisi had a better tan, wore a nicer suit and was great PR. Bad call.  Maybe time to give Milicic a go (to sign on after the women's world cup). I for one would welcome this rather than another 'failed' gaffer handed to us by CFG.

dbd11ba299c8ac62a6f91902cfc92a7e?width=7

Edited by HEARTinator
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

We overlooked Ante Milicic for JA because Aloisi had a better tan, wore a nicer suit and was great PR. Bad call.  Maybe time to give Milicic a go (to sign on after the women's world cup). I for one would welcome this rather than another 'failed' gaffer handed to us by CFG.

dbd11ba299c8ac62a6f91902cfc92a7e?width=7

If he succeeds with the chicks he wouldn't want our job, if he struggles like he did with his previous youth national teams he is not up to it (yet). 

Timing is wrong so it's a no from me.

15 minutes ago, Jovan said:

If he succeeds with the chicks he wouldn't want our job, if he struggles like he did with his previous youth national teams he is not up to it (yet). 

Timing is wrong so it's a no from me.

I really don't know why we would consider Milicic. He's had almost zero experience as a head coach.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tommykins said:

I believe Yokohama both scored and conceded the most goals in the league last year. Or got close to it. Would be entertaining if nothing else.

Close to it. 56 GF (equal second - highest was 57) and 56 GA (second highest after joint first on 59). 

They came 12th out of an 18-team league, but there they were the highest placed of 5 teams on the same number of points and escaped the relegation play-off only on their goal difference.

Not a good season.

3 minutes ago, rass said:

Still didn't work though did it.

If we're speaking hypothetically, why don't we just bring in someone who can make us be the highest scoring yet lowest conceding team in the league?

Agreed, but JvS was partially successful with the FFA cup win and we played some bloody great football at times.

2 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Johnny wasn’t perfect but at least it was entertaining. 

Yeah it was entertaining, but it was also unacceptable to most fans and probably 99% of this forum back then.

Not sure why all of a sudden it would be a good idea to have him back....

• Like 1

Actually you've all got short memories. I know we finished 4th in 2015/16, technically worse than Joyce's 3rd last season, but whereas last season we were 21 points off the pace and had 43 points with a GD of +8, in 2015/16 we were just 4 points behind the Premier with 44 points and a GD of +19, the highest in the league that season.

Given that on 30th November 2016 we then won the FFA Cup, those were the best times we've had as a club.

I rate JvS as a better manager than Joyce on that basis.

Since JvS left we've gone backwards as a football club in every metric that's important to me as a City fan and (albeit poor) student of the game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Close to it. 56 GF (equal second - highest was 57) and 56 GA (second highest after joint first on 59). 

They came 12th out of an 18-team league, but there they were the highest placed of 5 teams on the same number of points and escaped the relegation play-off only on their goal difference.

Not a good season.

A League completely different circumstance compared with J League. I would happily have Ange here without hesitation! 

3 hours ago, AXIOM said:

The dad that coaches Bundoora FC U12's would do a better job than Joyce under the current circumstances. 

I was thinking in a similar vein, Wilson the football from that Tom Hanks movie Castaway I think it was, could do a better job. At least he lifted the spirits of Tom in his darkest hours, good man manager.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moops said:

I was thinking in a similar vein, Wilson the football from that Tom Hanks movie Castaway I think it was, could do a better job. At least he lifted the spirits of Tom in his darkest hours, good man manager.

That's cause Wilson never spoke if you don't talk shit can't come out of your mouth 

Need to give an Aussie coach a go. One that understand the landscape and is not relying on petrillo for advice on players. Has a clear view on game style and can bring players in that suit.  And for fuck sake not a commando.... lieutenant gunnery sergeant Tom Highway. 

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

We've never had a good manager. Period. 
Enough of this JVS rose coloured nostalgia pls. He had the most expensive squad in A League history, and arguably its best ever player, and couldnt run it even close.

Let's face it, based on form, CFG will choose another mediocre journeyman coach who will completely reorganise the squad, tear down everything that has come before, promise beautiful football, and deliver mediocrity.

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

We've never had a good manager. Period. 
Enough of this JVS rose coloured nostalgia pls. He had the most expensive squad in A League history, and arguably its best ever player, and couldnt run it even close.

Disagree. We "ran it close" in 2015/16 playing the best football we've ever played and scoring for fun, and later in 2016 won the FFA Cup.

I'm not saying JvS was a great manager, but he was the best we've had. Since he left it's been all downhill with Joyce.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Disagree. We "ran it close" in 2015/16 playing the best football we've ever played and scoring for fun, and later in 2016 won the FFA Cup.

I'm not saying JvS was a great manager, but he was the best we've had. Since he left it's been all downhill with Joyce.

IMO we had comfortably the best side that year too, but still ultimately walked away with nothing and threw away a host of games we should have won against crap sides (Newy x 2 comes to mind), and had the trinity and a CB pairing of Wilko and Kisnorbo. If that doesnt scream bad management i dunno what does.

There's def a case he was our best manager, but ultimately that isnt saying much at all.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Would love to get JVS back! I can only imagine that managers get experience the more the years go on and would maybe have gained a bit of defensive structure experience. 

With the likes of Bart at the back who is very fast, this would help the JVS attacking style of play

• Like 1

I thought the decision to replace Valkanis/JVS was critical. Get it wrong and we would suffer long term. 

Joyce to me is just the wrong type of manager for us at the stage we are at.

Our next manager needs to be firstly tactically innovative and willing to take risks both off and on the pitch. We are so far behind the title winning clubs we need to bold and adventurous to catch up or even keep pace. 

Perth and Wellington have shown this season that the right coach at the right time can turn a club over 1 pre season. 

Predictions mean shit and rarely can anyone claim to be able to Ser what's coming but for me the next 12 to 18 months is critical for our clubs future. 

The main stays of Sydney and Victory look likely to continue to being strong the Wanderers in their new ground will also be bang on to improve, Perth with Bruno and Popa will be hard to stomach and who know what western Melbourne will bring.

So without being overly pessimistic we get the coach wrong we are pretty much destined to a 4th at best scenario for the foreseeable future. 

So everything hinges on the getting the right coach. I'm not confident CFG will get it right at the 4th attempt.

• Like 1

I agree with your timeframe. People can see through the facade and see that we are, at the moment, just the Antipodean branch office of a business run for the benefit of an Emirati royal family. We need some big names on the pitch, win a lot of matches, and win trophies - otherwise the people of Melbourne are just not going to bother with us.

It's the elephant in the room, but it's time to face up to it. Joyce and those who have allowed him to do so have wrecked our club in two seasons. Unless we can rebuild faith with the public the club will remain largely irrelevant.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I agree with your timeframe. People can see through the facade and see that we are, at the moment, just the Antipodean branch office of a business run for the benefit of an Emirati royal family. We need some big names on the pitch, win a lot of matches, and win trophies - otherwise the people of Melbourne are just not going to bother with us.

It's the elephant in the room, but it's time to face up to it. Joyce and those who have allowed him to do so have wrecked our club in two seasons. Unless we can rebuild faith with the public the club will remain largely irrelevant.

So the people that have allowed this to happen are also charged with rectifying the situation. 

Unlikely. 

Joyce deserves all the criticism that comes from all the footballing decisions but whoever put him in and allowed this shit show to continue for over 2 seasons needs to be looked at. Is it Marwood, Pearce that Feran dude I got no idea, but some of them if not all have completely botched it. 

Can it be fixed ? Absolutely,  will it be? That's the real question. 

• Like 1