Melbourne Football

The Manager and Assistant Coaches Thread

Tesla

Could Kurz be the answer to Melbourne City's troubles?

Josh Thomas

@Joshua_Thomas97

Last updated 1 day ago

Adelaide's loss, could be Melbourne City's gain...

After inspiring Adelaide United to a 1-0 win over Melbourne City on Sunday, Marco Kurz put in the perfect audition for the now vacant coaching position at City.

With Warren Joyce parting ways with the club after a dramatic two seasons in charge, City need a coach to reignite them and it's hard to look past the fiery German - who reportedly sounded out the position in March. 

Kurz has succeeded in the face of extreme adversity this season. From a club chairman not answering his phone calls to a squad lacking a recognised striker for much of the campaign, the 49-year-old has worked wonders with what he has had at his disposal and it's hard to fathom exactly why the club are letting him go. 

"It's strange," Archie Thompson said on Fox Sports Sunday Shootout. 

"When you think about it a few ago he's out of a job, still makes finals and has the potential to make the grand final.

"If he wins that and he's out of a job, what does that say for our competition?" 

Adelaide's decision to announce Kurz' departure at season's end in March could have derailed their campaign, but that was something the former Bundesliga manager was never going to allow.

The Reds 1-0 victory over City on Sunday summing up the grit, discipline and energy Kurz has brought to United since his arrival in 2017. 

As the match headed into extra time, he personally went to fire up United's active supporters, who were ultimately rewarded when Ben Halloran struck the winner in front of them in the 108th minute. 

On paper, City arguably boasted a stronger squad on Sunday and enjoyed far better chances, yet it was Adelaide that walked away winners as Kurz once again defied the odds to extend his tenure as coach for another week at least.

This season has been a particularly problematic one for Kurz.

Injuries have plagued his side with marquee striker Baba Diawara once again missing for most of the season leaving the Reds severely shortchanged up front.

In defence, Adelaide failed to sign a replacement defender in January after Taylor Regan's departure much to Kurz's displeasure. But rather than bemoan what he didn't have, the German coach instead successfully deployed Michael Marrone at centre-back and gave Ryan Kitto a chance in defence - with both players not letting Kurz down. 

Facing a number of headaches on the pitch, the Reds coach was then ignored by club chairman Piet van der Pol, who didn't pick up his phone for a number of weeks as Kurz looked to clarify the club's future. 

That future was something the two couldn't agree on with Kurz now set to be shown the door - regardless of how well he ends his tenure in charge.

Adelaide's loss could be Melbourne City's gain, however, with the club in desperate need of someone to fire them up on and off the pitch.

While Joyce's old-school approach caused division on the pitch and in the stands, Kurz's sheer passion could be exactly what City need to unite them. 

The fact Reds defender Scott Galloway, who found career-best form under Kurz, is set to move to Melbourne City next season, just one potential indication the outgoing Adelaide coach may not be far behind him.

Known for his passionate touchline displays, Kurz could be just the man to scare the AAMI Park seagulls away and breathe new life into Melbourne City. 

Kurz would hardly be inspiring, Adelaide had a worse goal scoring record than us.

Whilst he might bring passion and fight on the sideline, on the field I don’t think it’ll be the attacking style of play that we need to bring in fans/retain fans.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

And then back to the 2. Bundesliga.

Kurz won the 2. Bundesliga with Kaiserslautern. The following season he guided them to 7th in the Bundesliga. That's a massive achievement.

Kaiserslautern has only been in the Bundesliga for 2 of the last 12 seasons (both with Kurz in charge) and are now in the German 3rd division.

6 hours ago, citypool said:

Any ideas who could be shortlisted?

I would guess Kurz, A. Vidmar, Kisnorbo and maybe Scott Miller.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Well the club has done worse. My only concern is that he will be red carded otherwise I don't see why he wouldn't be in the mix.

I'm sure he's in the mix. I've read somewhere that when he was given notice by Adelaide he got in touch with City to register an interest if Joyce's contract was not extended.

The task of our next manager is to take a perfectly good A-League squad, very similar to the other A-League squads, and get the players to play consistently at the level of which they are capable, and occasionally lift themselves above that level, rather than just below the level of which they are capable.

In other words, rise to the occasion. Too often we are almost there but not quite.

Would take Kurz in a heartbeat, massively over-achieved with Adelaide, knows the league and seemed to have a lot of respect from his players and supporters. 

Imagine what he could do without all the injuries he copped to key players and the club letting players leave without replacing them.

2 hours ago, Harrison said:

Not sure where to put it so I’ll leave it here. 

Kalac stepping down effective immediately.

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/coaching-update-zeljko-kalac

Massive news.

seems to be a bit of smoke around “working with spider” (and his penchant for citing his U10 achievements as why he was better than Shwarzer always bemused me) but there is no getting away from the fact he’s a great goalie coach. Hopefully the replacement is comparable.

48 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Massive news.

seems to be a bit of smoke around “working with spider” (and his penchant for citing his U10 achievements as why he was better than Shwarzer always bemused me) but there is no getting away from the fact he’s a great goalie coach. Hopefully the replacement is comparable.

Agree about getting the best out of the keepers but a swine of a man. Well 2 down now. Hopefully Kisnorbo sees the door next.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Harrison said:

Fantastic news, the man was toxic!

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

Massive news.

Trust me he isn't a great goalie coach, him stepping down is for the better.

• Like 1

On 15/05/2019 at 4:08 PM, Harrison said:

@Harrison  I've been up-country for a few days. I'll think of a hopefully succinct title for this thread to cover all manager/coaching appointments.

Pleased that he's going TBH. Need to get someone in such as Tommy Sorensen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We need an experienced quality goalkeeper coach, not just a name who was a keeper as much as I love Tommy. John Crawley is head and shoulders above every other keeper coach in the land and his claim to fame is 5 games with the Mariners. There was a time where we constantly produced top quality keepers, now we only really have Ryan and Vukovic playing at a decent level, both developed by Crawley.

If we can't get an Australian coach who's good enough, we need to look abroad not just settle for mediocrity.