Melbourne Football

The Manager and Assistant Coaches Thread

Tesla

15 minutes ago, johnno cpfc said:

How about Marko Kurtz he will be available at the end of season.?

Eh 50/50

Positive - knows the league

Negative - Hasn't achieved much (except 2018 FFA CUp), likes to 'fight' with the board

22 hours ago, haz said:

Eh 50/50

Negative - Hasn't achieved much (except 2018 FFA CUp), likes to 'fight' with the board

Hang on a minute  the guy was trying to map out his future with a club that do Not want to spend money and have ham strung the football team all season.

1 hour ago, johnno cpfc said:

Hang on a minute  the guy was trying to map out his future with a club that do Not want to spend money and have ham strung the football team all season.

You're forgetting we don't really 'spend' money either. Furthermore, I doubt CFG will give him much control

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bt50 said:

We were one of only three clubs to have two marquees, so comparatively speaking, you're dead wrong about that.

And given that the rules include a Salary Floor, which must be spent and for 2018/19 is 90% of the Salary Cap, in effect marquees are the only players on which a club will or will not spend.

Kurz was unlucky that his marquee has been injured, but IMO the "club won't spend" argument is invalid. His FFA Cup win is probably going to be the best achievement by a foreign coach in 2018/19.

On 19/03/2019 at 5:20 PM, haz said:

Eh 50/50

Didn't he get two different teams in Germany promoted, I have a couple of brain cells telling me one was a team in the Bundesliga 2 that got promoted, I'm to lazy to check. 

I think he would be great tbh, a bit of German pragmatism. 

On 19/03/2019 at 5:27 PM, Chris p said:

I can't understand why Adelaide fans are so cut ? Adelaide haven't won in the last five and they look bang average 

More pissant behaviour. Don’t want to re-sign the coach but lacked the kahunas to tell him.

meanwhile players are coming off contract and wondering what their next step is. Just smells of incompetence, no vision and no plan. 

Its Adelaide so I hope I’m right 

11 hours ago, bt50 said:

We were one of only three clubs to have two marquees, so comparatively speaking, you're dead wrong about that.

One which came on the cheap cause he's mates with Joyce. We probaly aren't even paying his wages

43 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

More pissant behaviour. Don’t want to re-sign the coach but lacked the kahunas to tell him.

meanwhile players are coming off contract and wondering what their next step is. Just smells of incompetence, no vision and no plan. 

Its Adelaide so I hope I’m right 

Sound very much like our club.

No balls to take action and make changes in management.

Coach coming out of contract.

Players coming out of contract.

No vision and clear path forward.

I don't think Joyce will get signed up again for next year (unless, as @bt50 has pointed out, he wins it's from 4th or some such).

But I'm also not a massive fan of sacking someone now and bringing in a caretaker for the last few games of the season (ala what we saw from Valkanis in 2017), I'd rather have a club that was willing to have more long term planning approach.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shahanga said:

New coach supposedly the chairman's mate who's coached for him before.... 

https://www.goal.com/en-au/news/marco-kurz-expresses-interest-in-melbourne-city-coaching-job/m8pbgc3m5b6t13s86dz3jnukj?fbclid=IwAR3wQdbk50D3lOzn1FVvsI0dm3pWLhbF_B9RVg3dGATScPFSHZQmbREYQmM

Marco Kruz interested in joining City as our manager next year.

While I'm aware that Michael Petrillo has a genuine hard on from snaking players from Adelaide, hopefully nobody at Bundoora thinks this is a good idea. The club has quite rightly been critiqued for having a lack of ambition lately, so I think we can aim a little higher for our next manager.

Edited by IssySG
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, haz said:

I'll put money on Kurz coming to us solely due to Petrillo's lazy actions

There'll be plenty of applicants for the position; Kurz will be just one. If we want to we could pick up someone very decent - it's just a matter of how serious CFG are.

Petrillo worries me though. Have any of his ex-Adelaide signings done anything much for us? I wonder what his knowledge of football really is.

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, Dylan said:

Id take Kurz. I reckon its about time we try having a nutter in charge

The only decent record Kurz has as a manager is with Adelaide.

One problem we do have is that Joyce's League record with City is 43.9% win. This 4th on the list of current A-League managers. He was up at 50.0% until we slumped in the second half of this season.
Corica: 55.2%
Muscat: 50.9%
Popovic: 45.0%
Joyce: 43.9%
Kurz: 42.9%
Merrick: 42.4%
Rudan: 39.3%
Babbel: 22.2%

Source: Ultimate A-League

Edited by jw1739