Melbourne Football

The Manager and Assistant Coaches Thread

Tesla

Now that JVS' sacking is more a matter of when rather than if, let's look at some potential candidates.

IMO the best manager we can realistically get: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragan_Stojković

Victory tried to sign this guy's assistant a couple of years back as their manager and failed, so it would be a massive coup for us and the A-league if we could get him. Currently unemployed AFAIK.

Would also take him as a replacement for JD rather than as the manager.

Edited by jw1739
To broaden the coverage of the thread. 17th May 2019
  • Like 2

Need someone who knows the league or else their first year will be a bit dodgy and a "getting used to" season. Eg Gombau at Adelaide. At the moment we can't afford another year of trying things and shifty results.

Should go for Kosmina!

you have got to be joking

an absolute nutcase

• Like 4

Actually I'm being serious. Adelaide were actually good when kossie was in charge then they fell to shit after he had a blue with the board and left them to rot under valkanis

Edit: then

i don't deny that when he comes in he gets results, but shit he makes makes Muscut look like a rational bloke

• Like 1

Patrick Viera

Has he shown anything while being in charge of the City EDS?

Had a quick look, and it's hard to judge as I have no idea what the quality of squad his like and what the expectations would be.

Would rather take a guy who was rated as the best manager in Asia for a while until recently, whose assistant manager ends up managing a national team pretty much just because he was assistant to him, etc. as per my OP.

If only the Asian Cup was now so that Ange could be sacked sooner rather than later and we could pick him as our Manager with the Season still alive.

I think the league is improving quickly and new managers are coming in of higher quality (Popovic, Gombau), and Ange could soon find himself as an average manager at best at this level. We should look overseas. Guys like Arnold and Ange are not good, and won't be top managers in the A-League for long.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2

Patrick Viera

Has he shown anything while being in charge of the City EDS?

Had a quick look, and it's hard to judge as I have no idea what the quality of squad his like and what the expectations would be.

Would rather take a guy who was rated as the best manager in Asia for a while until recently, whose assistant manager ends up managing a national team pretty much just because he was assistant to him, etc. as per my OP.

TBH, I have no idea! Just a name plucked out of the CFG family, on the basis that he doesn't have to learn the CFG ropes from scratch and could easily be moved within the organization if it didn't work out.

Apparently Vieira has done a great job with Man City's EDS, although aside from W/D/L records (http://www.mcfc.com/fixtures/eds?CompetitionId=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000&SeasonId=cba57696-9a6a-49c9-abd6-fa4b8b903904) I'm having trouble piecing that together from anything other than hearsay from City fans. Apparently though, during Paddy's first year at City he spent time in every department of the club that he could to familiarize himself with the culture and people in the organization, a fair bit more dedication than we've seen at times from others, especially those who jumped to Mexico at the first opportunity. Doesn't really give you any more of an insight into his coaching ability but shines some light on the way he approaches his work.

As far as Dragan goes, I'd also suggested him a while ago, seems to me like he'd fit many of the ideals the CFG group are wishing to implement into this club. I'm also pretty sure he's unemployed, not sure what the terms of his departure from Grampas were though (sacked, resigned, whatever). 

Edited by King Malta
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure his contract expired and the club didn't want to renew because his last season was disappointing. But he has shown his ability already in a better league, and again, the fact his assistant was wanted by victory as their manager and eventually ended up managing a half decent NT, all pretty much just because he was Dragan's assistant, as well as Wenger having said he'd like Dragan to be his eventual successor at Arsenal, shows the high regard he is held in.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

Who ever it is (and I'm not convinced we will necessarily get a change soon) it will be real interesting in terms of finding out what CFG are thinking with regard to what's required in this league. JvS's appointment was almost out of convenience and they didn't want to rock the boat straight away once they took over, so I can't class that as a CFG appointment.

This is an appointment that essentially has no restrictions in an otherwise heavily regulated league and as such can have the greatest impact. The a-league is not somewhere where a superior squad can hide the cracks of a sub par manager.

Time will tell what the overlords will have learnt and where they place us on their list of importance when it comes to on field success.

Apparently Vieira has done a great job with Man City's EDS, although aside from W/D/L records (http://www.mcfc.com/fixtures/eds?CompetitionId=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000&SeasonId=cba57696-9a6a-49c9-abd6-fa4b8b903904) I'm having trouble piecing that together from anything other than hearsay from City fans. Apparently though, during Paddy's first year at City he spent time in every department of the club that he could to familiarize himself with the culture and people in the organization, a fair bit more dedication than we've seen at times from others, especially those who jumped to Mexico at the first opportunity. Doesn't really give you any more of an insight into his coaching ability but shines some light on the way he approaches his work.

As far as Dragan goes, I'd also suggested him a while ago, seems to me like he'd fit many of the ideals the CFG group are wishing to implement into this club. I'm also pretty sure he's unemployed, not sure what the terms of his departure from Grampas were though (sacked, resigned, whatever). 

Patrick Vieira was named Head of the Elite Development Squad on June 1 2013, following two years in a role as City’s Football Development Executive.

Vieira’s illustrious time on the pitch as a player saw him lift five FA Cups and nine league titles. 

His 107 caps for France include winning performances in the 1998 FIFA World Cup and 2000 UEFA European Championships. 

He represented Cannes, Milan, Arsenal, Juventus, Inter and City over the course of his glittering 17-year playing career.

His time as a Manchester City player, which began in January 2010, concluded with the winning of the FA Cup final in May 2011, the club’s first silverware in 35 years.

In December 2013, Vieira led the under-19s through to the last 16 of a major continental competition for the first time, claiming 11 points from UEFA Youth League Group D.

They overcame Atletico way from home in the second round before they were knocked out by Benfica in the last eight.

Domestically, Patrick oversaw a 14-match unbeaten run which put City into the four-team play-offs for the Barclays u21 Premier League prize, although the Blues were unfortunate to go out to eventual winners Chelsea on penalties in the semi-final after a 1-1 draw at the Etihad Stadium.

Vieira also guided his team to the final of the Premier League Cup where they were edged out by Reading after two legs.

Now in his second season in charge, Patrick is aiming to finish off his pro coaching badges and clinch his first piece of silverware as a manager, with the move to City Football Academy coming up in 2014/15. 

Seriously if Gombau was an Aussie there is no way he would be receiving the praise he is currently getting from the A League world... for not having won anything yet.

Look, the judgements of his ability are based on a fairly limited amount of information at the moment, but there is no doubt he has been impressive so far.

As for Ange or Arnold, I'm not saying I wouldn't be happy with either being in charge right now, we'd probably be right at the top of the table. But as far as I know the ambitions are for this club to be up there with the best in Asia, and I don't think either of those guys will get us there. We'd certainly be A-League challengers, which is better than right now, but if we do want to be winning an ACL like the Wanderers have, we need to look overseas because we won't be signing Popovic.

Seriously if Gombau was an Aussie there is no way he would be receiving the praise he is currently getting from the A League world... for not having won anything yet.

Gombau deserves the praise so far. He took a side that didn't know the shape of the ball to one where Galecoviv can pass the ball long to Mabil who then controls the ball with his first touch (approximately 6 minute mark). I don't believe that any of Melb City's home grown players can do that. His imports don't have injury issues and they have slotted well.

I don't mind Ange and for me Arnold is a wait and see case. Ange is a lot smarter than some people give him credit for. He has successfully evolved his football philosophy over time unlike Kosmina or Farina. The problem I have with Arnold is that CCM played such boring football, so now that he has a bigger budget I am waiting to see how Sydney play.

Gombau deserves the praise so far. He took a side that didn't know the shape of the ball to one where Galecoviv can pass the ball long to Mabil who then controls the ball with his first touch (approximately 6 minute mark). I don't believe that any of Melb City's home grown players can do that. His imports don't have injury issues and they have slotted well.

I don't mind Ange and for me Arnold is a wait and see case. Ange is a lot smarter than some people give him credit for. He has successfully evolved his football philosophy over time unlike Kosmina or Farina. The problem I have with Arnold is that CCM played such boring football, so now that he has a bigger budget I am waiting to see how Sydney play.

Arnold > Ange IMO.

I think a lot of Ange's success in the A-League has come down to the fact that the defensive quality in the A-League is far below the attacking quality, and A-League defences just can't deal with his attacking style. He'll get found out against teams that can defend (as we've seen with his stints in charge of the NTs)

Edited by Tesla