Melbourne Football

The Manager and Assistant Coaches Thread

Tesla

Bring in a foreigner, there are no proven Australia coaches that can come in a make an immediate impact.. We need a new style and a manager that can get the very best from the players we have and someone who can bring in a high standard around the club..

• Like 1

Melbourne Victory were able to poach Ange Postecoglou from Brisbane Roar despite Ange being contracted with Roar.

There are some Managers in the A League who make an immediate difference.

Eg: Graham Arnold.

I don't think Arnold's game matches what city are looking to do. I haven't really seen his Sydney side of late just going off his track record. Outside of Ang (who I'm not sure would like to be told the formation he is to use) I'm not the sure coach we need is out there in Australia.  

Edit: I'd like to see us put in a decent offer for Remi Garde!

Edited by wombegongal

Mulvey tried to follow Ange's masterplan - won him the Championship, lost him his job...

Can't we get someone from their Portuguese/Brazilian links?

I remember reading this article in regards to players; maybe they can get a Brazilian coach too:

"Manchester City have secured a commercial interest in two Portuguese clubs that will give them a competitive advantage in the recruitment of Brazilian players and may boost future attempts to pass Uefa's Financial Fair Play test.

City are providing "scouting, marketing and merchandising advice" at Gil Vicente, a club in northern Portugal, and also pursuing shares in Boavista, the Porto-based club, according to sources in that country."

The problem now is that when we get a new coach (and after today I am looking at it in terms of when not if) the decision has to be the right one. We have dug ourselves into such a deep hole that the damage caused by yet another spud in charge would probably tip most of us over the edge.

I don't know too many coaches but then I realised what Merrick has done at WP. Sadly, I just realised that he has signed a three year contract extension just a few weeks ago.

Whoever is the new manager will have to deal with the salary cap restriction and the team cap restriction, revitalise team morale and improve basic skills. On the plus side most of the new signings have been good with the notable exception of Koren. The re-signing of Williams and Hoffman (although I can understand the reason why) have been underwhelming and I am undecided as to the contracts given to Retre and Archibald. On the plus side 9 players are out of contract as well as the injury replacements. So the new coach will have the ability to make a significant improvement on the current lot.

I don't have a name either. But what Merrick has done at Phoenix is outstanding. A pretty ordinary squad but he has them playing to their strengths, particularly in front of goal.

While I'd love Arthur Papas back at City in some role, I'm not sure he's ruthless enough for Head Coach. Perhaps "ruthless" isn't the right word, but there's something wrong in the psyche at City, and we're never going to do better than we have in the past unless it is identified and fixed.

I would prefer someone already in the CFG set-up seconded to us for a couple of years. That way would avoid a cycle of sackings and replacements.

But if we don't do something we are going to be a permanent bottom-four club.

Looking at the top 5 teams this season, the salary cap is no longer an issue. We need a manager who can firstly build a really good coaching staff around him.. Then he needs to be able to identify which players can play the style he wants.. But the most important is the signing of visa players... In this aspect JVS, and JD have failed miserably..

The 5 visa players need to be regulars in the starting 11 and provide the difference when required..

The top 4 teams Perth, WP, Sydney, and MV all play a brand of football that is superior to ours.. and there is a massive gab between the top 4 teams and the rest of the competition .. You only need to look at the bottom half of the ladder from 6th and below, Newcastle, WSW, and CCM are a basket case this season, they play the worst football I have seen and then there is the inconsistent MCFC and BR.. However Brisbane is starting to find there feet..

I think it's more a man management thing than a style of play. If JVS could manage the team to bleed for him the rest would sort itself out.

I completely agree. We have had - what is it - 60+ players play for Heart/City, and the results are depressingly similar, season after season. Whilst some aspects of the results are down to the players, it has gone on long enough to demonstrate that it is the club management that is primary cause of failure.

My biggest concern now is that CFG aren't known for being quick-acting and that there's a lot more agony for us to endure before something happens.

Looking at the top 5 teams this season, the salary cap is no longer an issue. We need a manager who can firstly build a really good coaching staff around him.. Then he needs to be able to identify which players can play the style he wants.. But the most important is the signing of visa players... In this aspect JVS, and JD have failed miserably..

The 5 visa players need to be regulars in the starting 11 and provide the difference when required..

The top 4 teams Perth, WP, Sydney, and MV all play a brand of football that is superior to ours.. and there is a massive gab between the top 4 teams and the rest of the competition .. You only need to look at the bottom half of the ladder from 6th and below, Newcastle, WSW, and CCM are a basket case this season, they play the worst football I have seen and then there is the inconsistent MCFC and BR.. However Brisbane is starting to find there feet..

I think that Germano is the only visa player from JVS MK I that is still with the club. From JVS MK II the only new visa player signed was Koren and that was with CFG having a say. The other visa players have come in as injury replacement are Safuwan and Jaliens, both of which have proved their worth. And Germano as a player is fine the problem of course is that his body is not up to the rigours of first division football. So it may be unfair to tag JVS with failing to find visa players - JD on the other hand has no excuse.

Fully agree that the top five sides are at a different level altogether. The Jets and CCM are finding their feet defensively but I am not sure where WSW are at the moment. BR is also becoming more consistent and of MCFC are just plain inconsistent.

Need a marquee coach not a marquee player

I agree. Coming over from AFL I am finding that the coach is more critical than individual players. A great coach can make ordinary players play good football, play for one another, play for the coach and play for the fans - example Ange. Ordinary coaches don't extract the best of the players and the team appears disorganised and inconsistent. Obviously having competent players is a must but a great coach can know whether he can extract the best out of that player. Apparently Berisha said that after talking to Ange for 10 minutes he felt he wanted to play for Ange and was not the least bit surprised as to the Socceroos success at the Asia Cup.

Need a marquee coach not a marquee player

I agree. Coming over from AFL I am finding that the coach is more critical than individual players. A great coach can make ordinary players play good football, play for one another, play for the coach and play for the fans - example Ange. Ordinary coaches don't extract the best of the players and the team appears disorganised and inconsistent. Obviously having competent players is a must but a great coach can know whether he can extract the best out of that player. Apparently Berisha said that after talking to Ange for 10 minutes he felt he wanted to play for Ange and was not the least bit surprised as to the Socceroos success at the Asia Cup.

100% right.  The coach being king is one of the biggest shifts in football thinking in this country.  Before Postecoglou, the belief was that the coach mattered little-get two players better than  the competition and you win.  Postecoglou came in at Roar and turned that on its head.

Ian Holloway, purely for entertainment value.

He's definitely entertainment but what gets lost is he can coach a team.

His performance for Blackpool was some of the best coaching against the odds I have seen to get them promoted.

He would spice up our club that's for sure.

He managed to relegate Leicester after coming in mid season when I believe we were above the relegation zone. Honestly some of the most abject performances I've seen, and whilst the players were shocking, Holloway made them look worse. Believe he learnt from that, but honestly can't stand the guy.

Zico

Nice. I'd have him as a player coach.

Even at 60 (or however old he is), he'd still finish better than some of the blokes we have.

Can you imagine if that was him instead of Willo on Sunday when that ball was played to him leaving him one-on-one with the keeper?

Been thinking about this, such a hard one...

Would be great to get an o/s coach. However unlike some of the o/s leagues where there are no cap restrictions and a manager can go out buy whoever they want within budget, most of our squad has to be local.

Hence imo it's very important to have a manager that has an understanding of our local talent and what combination of them would best form the core of a successful team.

We are very fortunate we have the funds to at least enable us to gain the best possible o/s players to complement these local players. We're also lucky we are in a position where we can offload our current local spuds by either paying out their contracts or their contracts expiring anyway.

We have the resources to make a wonderful playing group and obtain a coach who can harness the best out of them and stick to the type of game our overlords want us to play.

So do we go for a Mulvey who has proven success in results and style of play, or is there someone else local out there who can do the job?

Or do we just go o/s and bank on someone who is just simply, an excellent all round manager?

I hope the club has the answer to this...

There are two ways to manage:

1. have a set plan about how you want to play and buy the players you need to play that way.

2.  look at the players you have and devise a game plan they can play

No 2 is what is needed in the A-League.

1 obviously hasn't worked, what I fear CFG want to play a particular way so we may be stuck with option 1. 

And No. 2 is precisely what Van 't Schip does not do. Even after yesterday's awful result, I look at our squad and think that most of them are, as individuals, good footballers. But our coaching team just does not get the best out of them as a unit.