Melbourne Football

Our Next Goalkeeper

Shahanga

Rather than go on about our current keeping line up, how about a thread about what our options might be going forward.

TBH I'm not just concerned about the keepers we have on our books, I'm concerned about the coaching.  Why is our No 1 not improving and if he's not, why hasn't our No 2 passed him?  

This is my solution.  Mark Schwarzer has been the first choice at his club for about 15 years.  Now he finds himself at one of the biggest clubs in the world, granted, but he's the 3rd choice.  Everything about Schwarzer says he's competitive, he can't be enjoying being a third string keeper, regardless of the setting.  He's had a long and stellar playing career, but it's almost over and he must be wondering what his next challenge might be.   How about this?

He comes to Melbourne City and finishes the A League season with us.  During this time he's our No 1.  At the end of the season he assists the club in scouting for our next keeper(s) and he takes over as our goalkeeping coach.   (For the remainder of our season Bolton could act in this role).

Money?  Well as part of the deal he would play for minimum to let us fit him under the cap.  I doubt he needs the bread and of course he has absolutely nothing to prove either.

Who knows maybe he's interested in a job that does nothing but give him free tickets to premier league games, but surely he knows he's got more to offer than that.

• Like 1

Just promote Stevanja. Can't be any worse than our current keepers... Unless people know otherwise.

played a season or 2 with him, had some ridiculous run of pens where he saved like 4/5 so there's a major improvement on redmayne already

did try to do the spectacular dives instead of basics though, no idea how he's progressed since though

• Like 1

A couple of Aussie keepers who are overseas and could be a long term option

Alex Cisak is currently on the books at Burnley, who look extremely likely to get relegated and him not having featured in the squad since they signed Matt Gilks as their back up keeper. He's just joined York City on a one month loan to get some game time. 25 years old and 6'3", he had big wraps on him from his performances for Oldham in League One.

Caleb Patterson-Sewell is a QAS graduate who played for Liverpool and Sheff Wed's youth teams, before moving onto the US 2nd Division. He then was a regular in the Portugese 2nd Division before being signed by Vitoria Setubal in the Premeira Liga. At 27 years old he'd be worth a trial.

Aaron Lennox, 21. His contract runs out at QPR in the summer. Has represented Australia at U20 Level. Currenltly on loan at Concord Rangers alongside Jeremy Walker. Unfortunately he broke his finger on the weekend and is back at QPR recovering.

Edited by mus-28

Need an experienced keeper. Get Brad Jones. The experienced keepers in the A-league have shown that they can win games by making save after save. Nathan Coe, Ante Covic and Galekovic.

Da Fuq. Lucky to make the top 5 in the league atm. Galekovic, Covic, Theo and Vukovic all far better keepers. He could nearly feature in the A-League Shitcunts thread, after all he was dropped last season for Lawrence Thomas due to his continual shitty performances.

CCM had success with Vukovic and Ryan who were both very young.

Brad Jones is experienced, but has played barely any games the past 5 seasons and when he does play he generally makes a mistake.

Need an experienced keeper. Get Brad Jones. The experienced keepers in the A-league have shown that they can win games by making save after save. Nathan Coe, Ante Covic and Galekovic.

Da Fuq. Lucky to make the top 5 in the league atm. Galekovic, Covic, Theo and Vukovic all far better keepers. He could nearly feature in the A-League Shitcunts thread, after all he was dropped last season for Lawrence Thomas due to his continual shitty performances.

CCM had success with Vukovic and Ryan who were both very young.

Brad Jones is experienced, but has played barely any games the past 5 seasons and when he does play he generally makes a mistake.

better than our current keepers who always make mistakes

I saw a bit of that Bogan's final (the next day) and Covic once again really impressed me.  I reckon if Redmayne was in goals that probably lose 1-4 and everyone goes on about how all the staff and players should be sacked.

A couple of Aussie keepers who are overseas and could be a long term option

Alex Cisak is currently on the books at Burnley, who look extremely likely to get relegated and him not having featured in the squad since they signed Matt Gilks as their back up keeper. He's just joined York City on a one month loan to get some game time. 25 years old and 6'3", he had big wraps on him from his performances for Oldham in League One.

Caleb Patterson-Sewell is a QAS graduate who played for Liverpool and Sheff Wed's youth teams, before moving onto the US 2nd Division. He then was a regular in the Portugese 2nd Division before being signed by Vitoria Setubal in the Premeira Liga. At 27 years old he'd be worth a trial.

Aaron Lennox, 21. His contract runs out at QPR in the summer. Has represented Australia at U20 Level. Currenltly on loan at Concord Rangers alongside Jeremy Walker. Unfortunately he broke his finger on the weekend and is back at QPR recovering.

I have doubts whether any of those guys are A-League quality, but wouldn't hurt to give them a trial. I'd be confident that Cisak is a better keeper than Redmayne.

• 6 months later...

Happy with Velaphi as first choice given he won't be on a lot of money (surely not a lot above minimum). Would be good to get rid of Redmayne and sign a minimum wage backup keeper to free up some salary without losing quality (maybe even gaining quality)

Couldn't name anyone off the top of my head, would have to be a youngster or a current backup at another club if they're going to sign for minimum.

Edited by Tesla

Davutovic said they were going to offer Tando a contract last week

Davutovic is just trying to get his name out there rofl knows nothing and has been shut out by the club this year which he isn't used to. I like to refrain from definatives but it is very likely that Tando will be re-signing. Redmayne is causing complications by refusing termination.

Davutovic said they were going to offer Tando a contract last week

Davutovic is just trying to get his name out there rofl knows nothing and has been shut out by the club this year which he isn't used to. I like to refrain from definatives but it is very likely that Tando will be re-signing. Redmayne is causing complications by refusing termination.

Probably worried about making the repayments for his Corolla Sportivo. 

• Like 1