Melbourne Football

MVFC v MCFC - The Derby! R3

Baka1

"John van 't Schip says a setback suffered on the training ground is likely to cost Melbourne City's international marquee Robert Koren a chance of making his debut in the derby against Melbourne Victory next weekend.

City laboured to a 1-1 draw with the Newcastle Jets at AAMI Park on Sunday, needing a David Villa goal to come from behind and salvage a point after conceding against the run of play.

The rebranded club dominated possession but struggled to carve out chances against Phil Stubbins' stubborn visitors, having also fired blanks away to Sydney FC in Round 1.

However, while Van 't Schip plans to use Koren to remedy his team's rustiness going forward, he will likely have to wait until Round 4 at the earliest to do so.

"There's no use talking about Robi now," the City coach said of the calf injury victim.

"We're talking about the players we have. When Robi comes in it's going to be a different story.

"He had a little bit of a setback this week, so that was disappointing. We had in our plan to have him available today.

"So we have to see if we can work him up for the derby. But it's going to be doubtful if he's going to be there. That's a big disappointment for everybody and especially for Robi."

Despite insisting before the match that his team are about more than just one man, Van 't Schip couldn't avoid dissecting the performance of superstar Villa, who saved City for the second match in succession following his goal on debut away to Sydney.

"He needs only a little moment," Van 't Schip said.

"First half he was near with a header, second half with that corner. He's always going to be dangerous and find spaces to score a goal or set up for someone else. So we get another week with him (to) get stronger and prepare ourselves for the derby."

Read more at http://www.a-league.com.au/article/jvs-setback-to-cost-koren-derby-debut/167xytfeclwc31fnip0g1ucsx4#JwX6r77x7VwIM36z.99"

With Victory's solid start and the attraction of David Villa this may be a record regular season fixture attendance for the a-league.

No it won't, with the seats brought in I think it only holds 46,000??

Victory got 50,333 v Sydney in 06/07. 2nd Highest total is 45,202 from the Round 1 derby last year, should break that.

we should have Mauk available for selection this week, very excited to see how he goes this season

Might struggle to get some consecutive game time this season due to the serious competition for midfield spots, but I hope he's given the chance to succeed.

With Victory's solid start and the attraction of David Villa this may be a record regular season fixture attendance for the a-league.

Victory got 50,333 v Sydney in 06/07. 2nd Highest total is 45,202 from the Round 1 derby last year, should break that.

Visitors Vs Sydney was a final. See bold text above...

• Like 1

That was R16.

http://ultimatealeague.com/records.php?type=att&season=HA&finals=exclude

as sad as i am to say it but having gone to the game, the Visitor v Sydney game season 2 of the a league was actually regular season.

That was R16.

http://ultimatealeague.com/records.php?type=att&season=HA&finals=exclude

Shut up.  :P

Massive game, always is. We have to be on our game as unfortunate as it is, they have a pretty good squad assembled (them playing both Friday night's means I've seen both full games)

Their defence - Geria, Leijer, Delpierre, Geogevski

David Villa will be looking at the 2 CB and smiling, both tall not overly quick or mobile. Delpierre is quality no doubt, I think villa has to target leijer who has a tendancy to give cheap free kicks away and pick up needless yellow cards. We get him on a yellow early and put him under pressure.

The 2 wide defenders are both solid, particularly Georgevski who you can tell has played a higher level, he covers very well for his 2 CB. He made 2 crucial tackles on cirio last week when the ball got past the other defenders. Need our wingers to keep their width and spread them out a bit.

Their midfield trio - Valeri, Milligan, Finkler

Valeri sets them up by dropping deep and picking up balls and firing them around park. He is their go to option out of defence and needs to be shut down quickly.probably a murdocca job.

Milligan will be the man who clogs up midfield and will probably be trying to stop mooy. High quality player but isn't going to kill you

Finkler is the class, passes can be made runs made. Eric Paartalu here is your job. You protect our back 4 by shutting down Finkler, he is their key IMO

Their front men - Barbarouses, Berisha, Thompson/Ben Khalfallah

This is where I'm worried, Barbarouses is one of the best at running past defenders. Ramsay doesn't fill me with confidence at the best of times. He could tear us apart like Rojas used to.

Berisha is obviously up to Kisnorbo and Wielaert, I'd like to see them really try and get under his skin. He is a passionate bloke but he sometimes goes too far (the Perth game where he went nuts and got sent off in about 20 minutes is an example) high pressure, high intensity big game. Will it go to his head. We can hope it does

The other wing is a toss of coin who starts but which ever one it us Hoff better be in his game

Overall I think the teams are evenly matched especially up front. If we can get settled early I have no doubt we can win. I'll go 3-2 in our favour

The fact that Victory wont sit back like Newcastle did will allow us to play our game a bit more fluently and give us a chance to score on the break without a big fat bus in the way. It should be end to end... worried about victorys zip (thompson, berisha, barbarouses) against our comparatively slow defensive players (Hoff, Wielaart, Kisnorbo, Paartalu).

We will seem a different team with Villa and Duff actually having space to run at defenders

Edited by melbournelad55
  • Like 2

$32.50 for general admin to the derby?

is this right?

yes.. $32.50 ++ ticket handling and all that shit Melb Vic wants you to pay.. hope they split it 50 - 50 with MCFC!

Most expensive tickets in the A-league are in Melbourne.

How can a rugby club offer $15 tickets at AAMI?  Our cheapest were nearly double.

Its a joke.

The fact that Victory wont sit back like Newcastle did will allow us to play our game a bit more fluently and give us a chance to score on the break without a big fat bus in the way. It should be end to end... worried about victorys zip (thompson, berisha, barbarouses) against our comparatively slow defensive players (Hoff, Wielaart, Kisnorbo, Paartalu).

We will seem a different team with Villa and Duff actually having space to run at defenders

Pretty much this. Expecting lots of goals and a 5-3 win for us :up: