Melbourne Football

The JvS thread

Tesla

To be honest Tesla your trolling skills are so off the charts, I cant tell if you are serious or not.

As you know I have been very vocal in my criticism of JVS and I agree with every point you have bought up here too. I know a season is a marathon, not a sprint but the signs are not looking any different from anything else we have seen yet. Sacking him might be premature at this stage, but he should be given a stern warning that if he cant get the job done we will find someone that can.

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 3

Shouldn't have been kept on in 1at place we were average at best in his 1st time in charge he came back last season led us on a good run but as soon as we had a sniff of the play offs never won another game , no point sack him yet but we will be lucky to finish too 6 IMO that's down to tactics !

To be honest Tesla your trolling skills are so off the charts, I cant tell if you are serious or not.

As you know I have been very vocal in my criticism of JVS and I agree with every point you have bought up here too. I know a season is a marathon, not a sprint but the signs are not looking any different from anything else we have seen yet. Sacking him might be premature at this stage, but he should be given a stern warning that if he cant get the job done we will find someone that can.

I am serious. I just can't watch the exact same thing happen over and over again and expect a different result.

I was for giving JVS a second go, and he did start well, but ever since then it's been absolutely shit. This isn't two games, his had plenty of time and chances.

• Like 1

I am not sure if this is ground for sacking but he should have swapped Duff to the left earlier as he caused quite a stir to Newcastle and where we got our goal. IMO his tactics seems off. Don't forget we only have 8 more games with Villa and i m worried that goals will dry up after he is gone.

Oh come on guys... The passing game seems to be coming together well, although effective passes (ie. forward movement) still needs some work.

Comparing the situation to JA last year is going too far, given that he forgot that a midfield even existed.

He deserves more time to get it to click. Come 10 games in and we still haven't got any non-Villa scoring ability then the questions should really be asked.

I do not think we have gone backwards.

Edited by Heart_fan
  • Like 2

We're 2 decent full backs and a keeper away from being amongst the elite in this league. I recall 1 cross from Hoff today and absolutely nothing of note from Ramsay, except passing it backwards. 

Until we rectify the full back situation, trying to play an expressive passing game is pointless when you're delivery from wide areas is 1 dimensional. 

• Like 1

Why the negativity?

Yeah we were no good today. But from our main starting 11 last season we have got 5-6 New faces. Also with our marquee not playing

If things don't improve in 4 weeks then we have a case

Things we need to do in sign a real left back

People are negative because we all new we needed a leftback before last season ended!

My view on JVS is that he does not have the ability to make us a real force. Look at the team at his disposal Duff, Villa, Mooy, Paartulu, Koren( missing ), Williams and Kisnorbo... Anyone could question our salary cap given our squad, so there really is no excuse plus he had a 15 week pre-season...

My analysis is:

The signs were there in pre-season, everyone says friendly games don't count. We'll they do, they have the ability to build momentum and confidence.

On today's game: Hoffman, Wielart, and Ramasy lacked confidence to move the ball forward, to get down the wing and support Duff and Wilo... Yes we dominated, we dictated, we were the better team, yet Newcastle score the most "text book" in football ... Cross and header.

Not sure if the new owners will sack him this season but if we lose the Darby next week his days could be numbered.. Standards need to be set and enforced ... 2pts from a possible 6 is not good enough.

• Like 1

We are doing lots of good things now. The back passes are a feature of a packed defence and no creative midfielders so a back pass is needed to draw  players out. Hopefully this'll improve when Koren is playing. Remember it'll take more than 1 season to recruit decent players: Mate, Hoff, Ramsay, Murdocca offer little but we can't replace every dud player at once because of the cap. 

I was pleased to see us fighting for a win today. Heart would have settled for a 0-1 loss and an 'unlucky' explanation in the presser. This is the real cultural change that we need from the coach.

• Like 2

Why the negativity?

Yeah we were no good today. But from our main starting 11 last season we have got 5-6 New faces. Also with our marquee not playing

If things don't improve in 4 weeks then we have a caseThings we need to do in sign a real left back

People are negative because we all new we needed a leftback before last season ended!

To be fair I think in our best 11 on paper we all have Ben garuccio at left back

Another option would be nice though

I disagree with comments about our squad not being good enough to compete, if we dominate possession in the oppositions defensive half ( which we did for most of the game) we should score. We are creating chances we are mobile and moving well, so if we aren't scoring... in my mind it's a training thing, it's a preparation thing, it's the fine detail that is missing and all of that rest on the shoulders of JVS

He can't complain about the players at his disposal and we can't say we don't have a striker...

His position will come under intense pressure because of the players we have, and my mail is, once Villa leaves (if he leaves after the 10games) but regardless J. Kennedy will be with us in December, which means the expectation has to be that we will be at the top end of the ladder come December .....???

"We're doing things well"

"We'll come good, give it time"

Is it just me or have we heard these comments before?  :rolleyes:

Lets have a look at some of the stats from today:

- 16 shots to 7

- 62%  of possession

-82% passing accuracy.

And yet we could've (should've) lost the game 2-0 today? How are we so dominant in every stat except the one that matters? 

So what too that Korens out or that we're a couple of players from being an elite team. Their is more then enough talent out there atm that we should've won today and last week. Its time to cut the crap and realise while the squad changes, their is always one thing constant with these poor results: JVS

We are doing lots of good things now. The back passes are a feature of a packed defence and no creative midfielders so a back pass is needed to draw  players out. Hopefully this'll improve when Koren is playing. Remember it'll take more than 1 season to recruit decent players: Mate, Hoff, Ramsay, Murdocca offer little but we can't replace every dud player at once because of the cap. 

I was pleased to see us fighting for a win today. Heart would have settled for a 0-1 loss and an 'unlucky' explanation in the presser. This is the real cultural change that we need from the coach.

Agreed. Heart did not come back from that position under JA. The players would have been demoralised after the first goal and been lucky not to let another one in. It's certainly not good enough, but nor is it all doom and gloom.

Well in part, but most of our players today and especially in midfield required too many touches on the ball before getting a pass away, and that combined with too many short sideways and backwards passes just keeps losing forward momentum and is the reason the Newcastle defence was able to regroup. The result is the packed defence and a dearth of clear-cut chances.

Contrast Newcastle who moved forward with pace and width and created more gettable chances than we did with much less overall possession.

Someone a few weeks back called it "sterile possession." 

• Like 1

I agree, we were more direct last week against Sydney but we should always be looking for the forward pass first and we aren't. Murdocca is the prime but not only culprit here. It reduces our ball speed and penetration in a very frustrating way. The other problem is that our RB and LB can't cross accurately and neither can Mate. Both Aziz and Marrone were better crossers of the ball

If you disagree, please tell me on what grounds you could possibly think JVS can lead us to success? I just can't see anything to support that idea.

Well, you asked for it...

I just don't buy the 'it's the same story argument'. This argument that Melbourne City's 1st season will be a redux of Melbourne Heart's 1st season, as apart from JVS next to nothing has stayed the same. The club is no longer owned by the vision-less gang of Sidwell and co., and is instead owned by the super-rich football powerhouse Manchester City. We don't train on a cow's paddock anymore (I used to train on La Trobe pre-redevelopment. It was a real dump and must have been demoralising for any footballer who trained there and purported to be a professional), and the club now has a wealth of resources (a quality football physio team, football analysts, a full coaching staff [with no more part timers]). So predicting a trend based on 2 games that matches Melbourne Heart's first season I just believe is unreasonable.

Also, you are letting the players off very lightly. Many people wanted all Melbourne Heart players gone. Now they are all good enough to comprise a top A-League team, and it's all the coach's fault for not producing win after win?? Hoffman is still Hoffman, Ramsay is still Ramsay, Murdocca is still Murdocca. The team won't finish top this season because the cattle isn't there, and no coach could stop Hoffman, Ramsay, Murdocca and Williams from largely following the patterns of play they've shown in recent seasons. "The squad is good"? Bullshit. At least a third of the squad comprises of Melbourne Heart players that aren't good enough to be in a there or thereabouts A-League team, and it's BS to pin Hoffman's, Ramsay's, Williams' et al.'s inadequacies on the coaching staff.

So all up the club has changed. The club's resources have changed, and the club culture is slowly but surely changing. But still, there are several Melbourne Heart players in the squad, and sure enough Melbourne City's first 2 matches have had a few reminders of Melbourne Heart. I'd say that the bigger surprise is how little Melbourne City has been reminiscent of Melbourne Heart, with the team getting back into matches over the 90 minutes of every competitive match the team has played (FFA Cup, Sydney, Today), and has generally looked more purposeful in attack, whilst the team is still very much a work in progress, with a half new starting XI and half new squad.

I think some believe the team has peaked in week 2, despite all the new players (not to mention the fact that neither an International marquee and an Australian marquee have yet to play for the team). Whereas I know the team hasn't peaked, and significant improvement will come. So better football will come and the wins will come. And writing off the team's season's prospects after 2 rounds just doesn't make sense to me, and much much more evidence needs to be put forward before there's a case against JVS.    

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 6

CFG are in no way trigger happy.. So don´t expect him to pack his bags anytime soon ;)

But out of curiosity, what coach could replace him?

There aren't many experienced let alone successful A-League coaches out there.

Branko Culina former coach of the Jets and Sydney was reasonably successful, so was Miron Bleilberg with Gold Coast before they collapsed. It could be said though that the league has moved on tactically since then. There are however some inexperienced but promising assistant managers such as Arthur Papas (former Melbourne Heart youth team coach) who is currently an assistant in the Indian Super League with FC Goa. He's also won the Victorian Premier League with Oakleigh Cannons and won manager of the year in the VPL (the youngest ever to do so). Papas was also one of the candidates for the Melbourne Heart job which John Aloisi won along with the other promising assistant manager I'll mention. Ante Milicic is currently an assistant with the Socceroos formerly being one with Heart and the Wanderers. He was expected to get the job Aloisi took and was apparently furious that he wasn't chosen and he has said in the past that he'd never come back to the Heart at least so it's unlikely he'd ever come back to Heart/City. That's basically all the people I know who would be a decent replacement for JVS.

@Murf.

All A-League clubs have dead wood.  So I'm not letting JVS off the hook that easy.

BUT I agree that people are overly-pessimistic.  The team IS playing with a more pro-active attitude than last season.  They have been  the aggressors in both games.

In this game we created 4 clear chances: Williams early on, Villa back post, Villa from point blank, Mooy's two shots the Jets somehow cleared.  These are individual player actions that can't be attributed to the coach.

Having said that, we will not win silverware with JVS.

I think, what the A-League lack is a coach who maintains his position at the club, the passing game has come on so much compared to how we played with Aloisi, I agree with a lot of points here, except I do not and still not know why people rate Dugandzic, he cannot score a one on one to save himself (not just last week against Sydney, but a lot during last season) Williams should and always should be starting ahead of Dugandzic....
Give time again, we are a new entity but we are still the same core, we need to always remember how far we still need to come along, we're not Manchester City where we throw away a coach after a poor season

I think, what the A-League lack is a coach who maintains his position at the club, the passing game has come on so much compared to how we played with Aloisi, I agree with a lot of points here, except I do not and still not know why people rate Dugandzic, he cannot score a one on one to save himself (not just last week against Sydney, but a lot during last season) Williams should and always should be starting ahead of Dugandzic....

Give time again, we are a new entity but we are still the same core, we need to always remember how far we still need to come along, we're not Manchester City where we throw away a coach after a poor season

Manchester City isn't really a good example, they're typically pretty good in comparison to other EPL clubs with manager longevity. 

Chelsea is a far better example, although it looks like they'll now do all they can to hang onto Mourinho.