Melbourne Football

The JvS thread

Tesla

31 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Wait, are people taking the reason seriously? If it was really about a sick family member, he'd just take a short break. Clearly he was close to gone and this was a good way out for everyone.

Palliative care is a bit different to just being "sick". But i agree he was leaving anyway and this has just made it happen sooner

• Like 1

What an awesome day.

The way I see it he was shown the door due to an insipid attitude to the players, an under performance with his list, the fact that his tactics and strategies are bullshit and will never be successful, and the fact that he is shit at every aspect of coaching and man management which is a reflection of the team's morale and performance for the last few seasons. 

Close the door behind you and never come back.

PS: Hope your dad gets better.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 1

Given the reasons, I'm disinclined to be harsh about this.  JVS is going home to be with his dying father.  That's a tough gig and my heart goes out to him.

But time to move on and look to the future.  Even if we can't top the ladder because Sydney are too far ahead, if we play to our potential we can still win the play-offs.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

TBH I think we should all back off now. van 't Schip senior is in palliative care, and anyone with any experience with having someone close to them in such care will know that is a very difficult situation for everyone. We don't know what JvS' father is suffering from, but some of these diseases where the body just shuts down and takes seemingly an age to do so are evil in the extreme. I would not wish my worst enemy to go through what these people and their families have to go though.

JvS has not been a successful coach for us, but IMO we can be respectful at this time whilst also looking for a better future for City in due course.

Just my two-penn'orth.

Agreed /thread.

10 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

I don't think any of the forum users mean any harm to JVS senior and I'm sure we all wish him and his family all the very best. We are just happy he is gone in football terms.

Yep.

I think some people always looked forward to the moment he was sacked/gone but suddenly it feels wrong to yell "WOO HOO!!" from the rooftops.

42 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

TBH I think we should all back off now. van 't Schip senior is in palliative care, and anyone with any experience with having someone close to them in such care will know that is a very difficult situation for everyone. We don't know what JvS' father is suffering from, but some of these diseases where the body just shuts down and takes seemingly an age to do so are evil in the extreme. I would not wish my worst enemy to go through what these people and their families have to go though.

JvS has not been a successful coach for us, but IMO we can be respectful at this time whilst also looking for a better future for City in due course.

Just my two-penn'orth.

Just my observation but I think the response has been realitvely tamed compared to what it could be. Not sure what you've seen or what anyone needs to back up from Jw. Everyone has been respectful enough IMO. 

Having lost my Father and Father in law in the last few years. Going through palliative care it's a nightmare and wouldn't wish it on anyone. 

Knowing JVS as a person and knowing that he is a top bloke my thoughts are with him and his family. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Having lost my Father and Father in law in the last few years. Going through palliative care it's a nightmare and wouldn't wish it on anyone. 

Knowing JVS as a person and knowing that he is a top bloke my thoughts are with him and his family. 

Without doubt. I too have been through this with family members. Shit times. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Alexxxandro said:

The fact is we can't know for sure but given the timing and that he's left once before for "family reasons" it's hard not to raise an eyebrow.

I raise you two eyebrows :P It's serious stuff for sure as it's been reported but previously he left for family reasons mid-season, Aloisi got sacked mid-season, JVS has just had a mid-season review and the team is going through one of those regular JVS mid-season slumps. I see a pattern :unsure:

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Just my two-penn'orth.

Been there done that and would not wish those circumstances on anybody happened to my wifes sister and we watched her die for a five week period and it ain't no fun. Maybe that is why i would like to see voluntary suicide become legal.

Edited by johnno cpfc
  • Like 2

Hate how this bloke coached our football club and delighted he's left.

However never under these circumstances and we all need to remember sport is just a game and this poor man is about to lose his father!

It's impossible to take any joy from this, despite how the majority of us feel about JVS the coach!

#stayclassy #onlyagame

• Like 2

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/john-van-t-schip-resigns-what-it-means-for-melbourne-city/news-story/bb0190dff9c954d12cc4e724d88ba9f6    (Title: It was no surprise for City)

3 minute video on JVS' departure by Fox Sports 

THE OTHER COACHING OPTIONS

So, who is the right candidate? Michael Valkanis will take the role on an interim basis, but a club with City’s resources is unlikely to stick with the inexperienced mentor in the long run.

Popovic is Ognenovski’s ideal candidate, but realistically, if he cannot be prised from Wanderland, what should City do?

The City Football Group has vast reach across the football globe and could opt for a high profile candidate. For example, Premier League icon Patrick Vieira has taken over at New York City.

Candidate Josep Gombau, interim boss Michael Valkanis.Candidate Josep Gombau, interim boss Michael Valkanis.Source: News Corp Australia

“They could get anybody really that is willing to come and try their luck in Australia,” Ognenovksi said about City’s resources, with a warning that a mid-season appointment could be fraught if the candidate doesn’t have an understanding of the A-League.

One name linked with the club is former Adelaide United boss and current Olyroos coach Josep Gombau, while the obvious Australian candidates are Sydney United coach Mark Rudan and Socceroos assistant Ante Milicic, who served an apprenticeship at Melbourne Heart before being overlooked for the top job for John Aloisi.

“A coach like Gombau, with sort of success he had here and sort of football his teams played here, and I’m guessing he’d be suited to what Melbourne City want … with attractive football, is a suitable candidate.

Ante Milicic, John van ‘t Schip, John Aloisi.Ante Milicic, John van ‘t Schip, John Aloisi.Source: News Limited

“Mark Rudan’s thrown his hat in, spoken he wants to be an A-League coach … He does have that (head coach) experience under his belt from the NSW Premier League and his knowledge of the Australian game is second to none; he watches and analyses every game, a really good Aussie candidate.

“Someone like Milicic knows the club, he worked there when it was the Heart, under Popa at Wanderers, and had great success at the Socceroos. He’s now a coach with a lot of experience at the A-League, and with Australian players in general. He would be a fantastic candidate if they want more experience – because of the coaches he has worked under and his CV speaks for itself.”

Edited by haz

We shouldn't be the club giving the first Senior A-League chance for Australian coaches like Ante Milicic and Mark Rudan. 
Let's learn from Victory and Sydney FC.
They poached proven Ange from Brisbane
Sydney got proven Graham Arnold.

Right now the only one that fits the 'Australian proven A-League' mould is Popa. I think he's a winner, however not sure his playing style aligns with CFG.

Gombau, albeit not Australian, probably is the front runner. 

If in 3-5 years time, the likes of Jones, Okon actually win things then we can come into the market for them.
Same goes with Mori, Rudan, Milicic, Papas etc. if they get a go.

Even though I haven't posted much this season, I have been reading the threads and catching the games when I can. Too many Friday games for me lol

I like many sympathise with JVS over his dad's illness. My own dad spent his last 6 months in a hospice before passing away from Cancer. I am sure there are many on here who have similar stories to tell.

What we have to do is look at this from a football point of view. I am afraid the same old story was unfolding regarding the team's performances with JVS at the helm. The blame for this lies squarely with CFG, who should have made the necessary change in the summer. It had become clear amongst the vast majority of fans that he wasn't good enough to push the team on. The FFA Cup win just papered over the cracks which the results since then have shown. Therefore it is the right thing that he is gone.

• Like 4

I'm 24 hours behind the times with finding out this story, but so glad this has come about. Sorry to hear about his father, but this is probably the best way for it to happen. Resigns of his own free will at the start of a transfer window, half way through a season, so the rest of 2016-17 can be salvaged and he doesn't have to be sacked (whether or not many here may have wanted to see it happen).

21 hours ago, Tesla said:

Wait, are people taking the reason seriously? If it was really about a sick family member, he'd just take a short break. Clearly he was close to gone and this was a good way out for everyone.

On the other hand, if he used it as an excuse and gets found out for a liar then he faces massive condemnation and probable character assassination. Don't know how much the stories made it over to Australia, but I'm thinking it would be similar to the time about 10 years ago when Stephen Ireland claimed that his grandma had died in order to leave international duty, using it to cover up his girlfriend's miscarriage. Despite the fact that he had a legitimate tragedy to attend, his faking another one ended up with him being vilified. There were serious questions over him being banned from ever playing for his country again.

Edited by Falastur
  • Like 1