Melbourne Football

Theory about your colours (from a non-Heart supporter, but friend)

danepak

4. "The Bats" = FacebookThumbsUp.png Goes back to Melbourne's, originally being named "Batmania" due to the local inhabitants.

You know I love the idea Buddy, but just to clear things up, the original township was named "Batmania" after the John Batman the English Soldier/Explorer who led the expedition to settle in the area.

Edited by bazzatron

You know I love the idea Buddy, but just to clear things up, the original township was named "Batmania" after the John Batman the English Soldier/Explorer who led the expedition to settle in the area.

Not quite true. John Batman was actually born in Rosehill, Parramatta in the colony of New South Wales. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Batman

Not quite true. John Batman was actually born in Rosehill, Parramatta in the colony of New South Wales. http://en.wikipedia....iki/John_Batman

Who said anything about where he was born? Thats got nothing to do with it. Ok he wasnt English, but considering he was born not 20 years after the first fleet arrived, I'd hardly call him "Australian", probably had a fairly thick Yorkshire accent on account of his Father.

http://www.itsanhono...nal_colours.pdf

I don't believe that Melbourne has any 'offical city colours.' The city flag may feature the red cross on a white background, but I'm struggling to think whether I've ever seen that flag flying anywhere...over the Town Hall perhaps? The last two city logos appear to have no connection whatsoever with red and white. The new one makes me think of Fed. Square, the previous one made me think of Greece (that lovely little grecian column etc.).

I think we chose red and white stripes because we wanted a 'traditional football jersey.'

yep; you're right. official coat of arms colours for melbourne are red & silver; not white. although silver has probably only been used to make it sound more regal as gold does for yellow; but yes they were probably only picked to fit in with the club having a 'traditional football jersey' style feel. not much of a history lesson is needed..... australia hasn't been around long enough.

yep; you're right. official coat of arms colours for melbourne are red & silver; not white. although silver has probably only been used to make it sound more regal as gold does for yellow; but yes they were probably only picked to fit in with the club having a 'traditional football jersey' style feel. not much of a history lesson is needed..... australia hasn't been around long enough.

This is a pretty poor understanding of History, inparticular the rich history that our country does have...

Edited by cadete

Butting in because I can :P

I can see where the two of you are coming from and whilst Australia does have a history in itself, unlike other nations around the world such as any European or Middle Eastern who have thousands of years behind them... ours is only short which can reduce it's value in the eyes of many.

Butting in because I can :P

I can see where the two of you are coming from and whilst Australia does have a history in itself, unlike other nations around the world such as any European or Middle Eastern who have thousands of years behind them... ours is only short which can reduce it's value in the eyes of many.

i think you forgot the 40 odd thousand years the aborigines have been living here for, your bad

i think you forgot the 40 odd thousand years the aborigines have been living here for, your bad

No not my bad; when people usually speak about Australian history it's from circa 1770 onwards. Whilst I'm happy to acknowledge anything that happened before this it's something that really isn't touched on at all via the education system. There's no real documentation about anything prior to the exploration of Australia.