Melbourne Football

Theory about your colours (from a non-Heart supporter, but friend)

danepak

Hey,

First of all, I have to mention that I'm not a Heart supporter.

I follow Wellington Phoenix (I do live in Melbourne though).

However, when it comes to which team I prefer (Victory or Heart), you've got my full support.

I was watching last nights local derby and thought of why you play in red and white stripes.

I know you guys got the chance to vote for the name of your team, right?

You didn't get the chance to vote for the colours, did you?

Is there any reason why it was red and white stripes?

If it was up to me to decide on which colours that they should play in, I would choose exactly those colours.

Why?

Melbourne has got the largest Greek population in the world (outside Greece).

Olympiakos are by far the most popular Greek team and I know a lot of Greeks who happens to support Olympiakos.

That would be one way to win some of the Victory supporters over, right?

If they were already Olympiakos supporters and loved these colours.

Also, the club logos are quite similar too.

Is what I'm babbling on about here total nonsense?

P.S. Good luck for the rest of your season (as long as you stay behind Phoenix obviously). Nice to see you being well on top of Victory. A shame you didn't win last night.

Id say more of a convenience rather than a planned action. The club surely didnt make the colours red and white for that reason, although i do know a few greek heart supporters who follow Olympiakos so maybe. Irrelevant nonsence imo ;)

Did the Greek Olympiakos supporters support Victory before Heart existed?

Well then you're an idiot aren't you. Maybe you're thinking of Victoria. But the colours of Melbourne City are Red and White.

What's your problem?

Calling me an idiot?

Have I been rude to you?

I wasn't aware of that (the colours of Melbourne being red and white).

Must be nice to sit in front of the computer and call people things you wouldn't dare saying to them in real life.

Well then you're an idiot aren't you. Maybe you're thinking of Victoria. But the colours of Melbourne City are Red and White.

Care to back this up somehow? There's not one place either online or in a book that I've seen Melbourne's colors being stated as red and white. I could be completely wrong though so confirmation would be nice. Yes as said before; Victoria's colors are navy blue, silver and white.

I do remember seeing somewhere that the initial ideas for the club kit's were going to either be black and white or red and white. I'm yet to hear that red and white were chosen because of reasons stated above.

Point taken but it's a little deceiving. For example; green and gold are Australia's national colors yet I don't seem them on a flag or anything else with significance. I believe it was a cricket team who started that trend and everyone else jumped on the bandwagon.

Isn't it a little old fashioned though? I mean playing it safe like that?

Edited by stephaniexo

Playing it safe? How so?

Well if Melbourne's colours are Red and White, and the opposite to Blue and White, wouldn't it all make sense?

I think it is the absolute right choice and this is from a Pompey fan who hates Southampton who are yes, Red and White. I would of proffered hoops for that reason, but Red and White makes absolute sense.

While I agree it's a nice opposite to what's out there I think tradition is a little safe; almost like it's expected and we can't do anything else. It's like brides wearing white on their day because it's tradition and it's what expected. (Okay; bad example but it's all I could think of).

I think it just would have been nice to step out of a comfort zone in regards to color choice & I'd also love to see hoops.

I think Stephanie it all comes down to identity though. Melbourne is Red and White. Literally. That is the colours of Melbourne. It is our identity. Sometimes the easiest answers are the best and most logical. No need to over think it. I for one am happy with the colours and trust me, it is very hard for me to like Red and White :D

I tried to like that comment but I've used all my likes up for the day. I completely agree and stand with what you've just said. Identity wise and convenience wise. Still though... I wouldn't be against a completely out there 3rd strip if one is going to be created for next season & I know what you mean about red & white; I'm more of a blue girl myself.

Never supported an A-League team prior to and was only really a EPL kinda person. Someone showed me an article ages ago when the club was getting set up and I kept an eye out for anything else I'd stumble past. Eventually I grew a soft spot for them and it just felt right. That's probably the worst answer you could ever ask for haha!

• Like 1

1. Victory are thugs on and off the park, never played attractive football (even when they were winning). On the contrast, Heart made a statement that they'll aim to play a betters style of football right from the beginning.

2. Everybody likes an underdog.

3. Not many people can really say they supported a club from its inaugural year.

4. Youth policy - everybody's given a fair go at the club. Good, Hamill, Behich, Babalj, now Goodwin. They tend to nurture and support the youngsters, unlike Victory, who just buy them (i.e. Rojas, Kruse, Solarzano etc). I reckon Skoko, Sibon and Aloisi did a brilliant job in that area. They did exactly what the clubs owners asked them to do.

5. Club training ground is local

6. Red are my sporting colours - Man U, Milan, Essendon FC, Preston Lions and so on.

While I agree it's a nice opposite to what's out there I think tradition is a little safe; almost like it's expected and we can't do anything else. It's like brides wearing white on their day because it's tradition and it's what expected. (Okay; bad example but it's all I could think of).

I think it just would have been nice to step out of a comfort zone in regards to color choice & I'd also love to see hoops.

I reckon they picked the colours for those 2 reasons, the opposite of the visitors and to be traditional and safe. Yeah, that's a bad example but red and white strips are a classic and traditional football strip, so given the American sort of name the club got (like Roar or Glory) it was wise to go for a classic red and white kit.

I wouldn't mind our alt. kit being a bit out there, perhaps using our 3rd kit as our alt./away kit. Home colours are perfect.

Hey,

First of all, I have to mention that I'm not a Heart supporter.

I follow Wellington Phoenix (I do live in Melbourne though).

However, when it comes to which team I prefer (Victory or Heart), you've got my full support.

I was watching last nights local derby and thought of why you play in red and white stripes.

I know you guys got the chance to vote for the name of your team, right?

You didn't get the chance to vote for the colours, did you?

Is there any reason why it was red and white stripes?

If it was up to me to decide on which colours that they should play in, I would choose exactly those colours.

Why?

Melbourne has got the largest Greek population in the world (outside Greece).

Olympiakos are by far the most popular Greek team and I know a lot of Greeks who happens to support Olympiakos.

That would be one way to win some of the Victory supporters over, right?

If they were already Olympiakos supporters and loved these colours.

Also, the club logos are quite similar too.

Is what I'm babbling on about here total nonsense?

P.S. Good luck for the rest of your season (as long as you stay behind Phoenix obviously). Nice to see you being well on top of Victory. A shame you didn't win last night.

Hi and welcome to the forum. The Nix have been playing some good stuff lately, one of the best organized teams in the league. Good luck for the rest of the season, although we'll fight you for 3rd. :D

Hi and welcome to the forum. The Nix have been playing some good stuff lately, one of the best organized teams in the league. Good luck for the rest of the season, although we'll fight you for 3rd. :D

Never thought that I would see Phoenix sitting 2nd in the table.

Surreal, but yes, I'm enjoying it!

Still gutted that Brisbane won last night in Gosford.

If they'd lost and we beat them next week, it would have been a 7 point gap.

By the way, I enjoyed watching another crap performance by Judas (Marco Rojas) last night against you guys.

When I arrived in Melbourne, I had already built up a big hate for Melbourne Victory, through watching them, while I lived in NZ.

It seriously put a smile to my face, when Heart was born. You're so different from Victory. Impossible not to like.

And it was an extra bonus to see Jesper Olsen (my fellow countryman) as your assistant manager last season.

Point taken but it's a little deceiving. For example; green and gold are Australia's national colors yet I don't seem them on a flag or anything else with significance. I believe it was a cricket team who started that trend and everyone else jumped on the bandwagon.

Isn't it a little old fashioned though? I mean playing it safe like that?

http://www.itsanhonour.gov.au/publications/symbols/factsheets/national_colours.pdf

I don't believe that Melbourne has any 'offical city colours.' The city flag may feature the red cross on a white background, but I'm struggling to think whether I've ever seen that flag flying anywhere...over the Town Hall perhaps? The last two city logos appear to have no connection whatsoever with red and white. The new one makes me think of Fed. Square, the previous one made me think of Greece (that lovely little grecian column etc.).

I think we chose red and white stripes because we wanted a 'traditional football jersey.'

Not an Olympiacos fan but the red and white helped me join up. Same colours as the Mighty Brentford of league one.

I think Red and White are just really logical colours for a new team trying to find its way - the "traditional football jersey" as jw said. Plus our name's Heart, how can we not be red.

City colours is probably true, but it's pretty obscure.

Not an Olympiacos fan but the red and white helped me join up. Same colours as the Mighty Brentford of league one.

I think Red and White are just really logical colours for a new team trying to find its way - the "traditional football jersey" as jw said. Plus our name's Heart, how can we not be red.

City colours is probably true, but it's pretty obscure.

I've been to Griffin Park a few years ago for a pre-season friendly (versus my team, Charlton Athletic).

And as you can imagine, red and white are not colours I've got a problem with either (both Charlton Athletic and Denmark).

• Like 1

http://www.itsanhono...nal_colours.pdf

I don't believe that Melbourne has any 'offical city colours.' The city flag may feature the red cross on a white background, but I'm struggling to think whether I've ever seen that flag flying anywhere...over the Town Hall perhaps? The last two city logos appear to have no connection whatsoever with red and white. The new one makes me think of Fed. Square, the previous one made me think of Greece (that lovely little grecian column etc.).

I think we chose red and white stripes because we wanted a 'traditional football jersey.'

This is exactly where I was coming from. I think I'd seen the flag once in a history book about Australian settlement and that was about all. >.< It's not really pushed onto anyone nor do we celebrate anything significantly with those two colors predominately in mind.

We should have been "the Bats" ffs!

1. Name "Sporting Melbourne FC" FacebookThumbsUp.png

2. Red and White w/ Charcoal as tertiary colour. FacebookThumbsUp.png

3. Hoops/Horizontal stripes, amazingly it would have been a league 1st. FacebookThumbsUp.png

4. "The Bats" = FacebookThumbsUp.png Goes back to Melbourne's, originally being named "Batmania" due to the local inhabitants.

5 Mascot for the kiddies.... FUCK OFF TICKER! FacebookThumbsUp.png

profile11.jpg

(Design: courtesy of Ollie)

FWIW, many people in here need a History lesson by the sounds of it ;)

Edited by Buddy Farah
  • Like 1

OMFG! That mascot would have been ace!

In regards to the history lesson; sadly a lot of people now days aren't being taught Australian history. I think in highschool I did a week or two on it and then it was onwards to the european revolutions for the remainder of the semester. Quite sad come to think of it actually; even at a university I believe I was only shown the coat of arms once. Quite sad really :(

I was behind that name as well...

I do think they missed an opportunity however with not going with Hoops could of been a good point of difference.

Overall we got served a pretty good deal for a new club.

People in Fremantle had wanted an AFL side very shortly after WCE came into the comp, and they got lumped with some pretty poor jumpers/colours/song... coach.