Melbourne Football

MERCHANDISE

silverdust

I would like to see supporters build their own arsenal of apparel based on the badge. Despite the "Keep the red and white" campaign, a lot of supporters appear to have jumped into the CFG stream and floated along. If there is any chance of retaining even the red, white and blue, it will have to be supporter led. Otherwise it will be pale blue and white, and "Melbourne's pale, baby blue and white" doesn't provoke a lot of passion in me.

This. I don't see cardiff's fans bending over to be fucked by tan, nor should we. It's bad enough we're using the red & white as a clash kit, as opposed to an away kit as its been promoted. I feel ill every time the "c'mon you boys in white" chant is sung.

sounded like they've changed it to "come on you city boys"

I would like to see supporters build their own arsenal of apparel based on the badge. Despite the "Keep the red and white" campaign, a lot of supporters appear to have jumped into the CFG stream and floated along. If there is any chance of retaining even the red, white and blue, it will have to be supporter led. Otherwise it will be pale blue and white, and "Melbourne's pale, baby blue and white" doesn't provoke a lot of passion in me.

This. I don't see cardiff's fans bending over to be fucked by tan, nor should we. It's bad enough we're using the red & white as a clash kit, as opposed to an away kit as its been promoted. I feel ill every time the "c'mon you boys in white" chant is sung.

correct

correct Still prefer to use "Melbourne" instead of city in chants

And c'mon you boys in white sound like a fkn nappySan commercial..... Stupid

• Like 1

Does anybody have any idea on when they'll be getting more away tops in?

spoke to the club the other day, they aren't getting any more in, it was a one off order

Cheers.

FFS though, you'd think with the success they have had of selling them, that they would make more.

Got to be a wind-up, surely? They release them, sell out within weeks and if they did release more, they'd also sell out. So they won't release more...why...? Is Eric Cartman running the merchandising department down there?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The letter t just fell off my home shirt. I've only had it for 5 months. Poor performance Nike I picked up a fake man city shirt in Thailand early last year for 15 dollars even that is still in better condition.

If only the big plastic adverts on the shirt would fall off that easily

It's just shit that you pay 100 dollars for a shirt for it to fall to pieces within six months. I was going to buy the away top from Nike website but what's the point just going to buy an old Melbourne heart top of eBay.

The letter t just fell off my home shirt. I've only had it for 5 months. Poor performance Nike I picked up a fake man city shirt in Thailand early last year for 15 dollars even that is still in better condition.

Hmm I was wondering about this. We were praising the Nike quality when they came out, but it's obvious to me these tops are built to only last a season if that.

You only have to look at them sideways for a thread to pull or a letter to peel.

Disappointing tbh...

Home kit sold out so wouldnt worry , Its just my opinion that we will b sky blue not a given but city has more financial clout than the FFA so wouldn't surprise me

So why aren't we playing in sky blue right now? You only need to look at how much sky blue we have in our warm-up gear and fan merchandise to realise that the new admin wanted to be in sky blue from day one, but weren't allowed to.

Home kit sold out so wouldnt worry , Its just my opinion that we will b sky blue not a given but city has more financial clout than the FFA so wouldn't surprise me

So why aren't we playing in sky blue right now? You only need to look at how much sky blue we have in our warm-up gear and fan merchandise to realise that the new admin wanted to be in sky blue from day one, but weren't allowed to.

It's coming...

It's coming...

That doesn't answer the question. Why aren't we playing in sky blue right now, if it's such a foregone conclusion that it will happen eventually anyway?

It came down to Sydney FC v our new owners and Sydney won with an early TKO. Didn't seem like the FFA was especially scared of the big, bad CFG then. I don't see why Sydney's arguments against the proposal, which were 100% effective in getting it blocked about half a year ago, wouldn't still hold water in six months' time. And if anyone can explain why they wouldn't beyond the vague 'it's inevitable...' predictions that we've seen countless times, I'm all ears.

It's coming...

That doesn't answer the question. Why aren't we playing in sky blue right now, if it's such a foregone conclusion that it will happen eventually anyway?

It came down to Sydney FC v our new owners and Sydney won with an early TKO. Didn't seem like the FFA was especially scared of the big, bad CFG then. I don't see why Sydney's arguments against the proposal, which were 100% effective in getting it blocked about half a year ago, wouldn't still hold water in six months' time. And if anyone can explain why they wouldn't beyond the vague 'it's inevitable...' predictions that we've seen countless times, I'm all ears. Because if CFG really do want it they will make it happen. Eventually the FFA will realise that they need CFG more than CFG need them and they will cave to pressure or just money.

• Like 1

It's coming...  

It came down to Sydney FC v our new owners and Sydney won with an early TKO. Didn't seem like the FFA was especially scared of the big, bad CFG then. I don't see why Sydney's arguments against the proposal, which were 100% effective in getting it blocked about half a year ago, wouldn't still hold water in six months' time. And if anyone can explain why they wouldn't beyond the vague 'it's inevitable...' predictions that we've seen countless times, I'm all ears. Because if CFG really do want it they will make it happen. Eventually the FFA will realise that they need CFG more than CFG need them and they will cave to pressure or just money.

This.

Sydney can jump up and down all they like but if the league wants to continue to grow they have to keep the CFG around.

It's coming...

It came down to Sydney FC v our new owners and Sydney won with an early TKO. Didn't seem like the FFA was especially scared of the big, bad CFG then. I don't see why Sydney's arguments against the proposal, which were 100% effective in getting it blocked about half a year ago, wouldn't still hold water in six months' time. And if anyone can explain why they wouldn't beyond the vague 'it's inevitable...' predictions that we've seen countless times, I'm all ears.

Because if CFG really do want it they will make it happen. Eventually the FFA will realise that they need CFG more than CFG need them and they will cave to pressure or just money.

few more trips to the abu dhabi grand prix should do the trick.

Edited by Dylan

It's coming...  

This.

Sydney can jump up and down all they like but if the league wants to continue to grow they have to keep the CFG around.

Not really...if CFG don't get their way the can give the licence back to the FFA and make Yokohama their Asian Manchester City experiment.

The FFA have learnt from past experiences (inc. the success of WSW) and Melbourne City (the name will probably stay) will thrive under their guidance! Then the FFA will sell the licence again for $12m-$15m to another consortium who won't try and re-brand our club as a mini-something else.

• Like 1

It's coming...  

And, assuming that is correct, it took 18 months for that to dawn on Frank Lowy and co...why?

The FFA doesn't need CFG at all, if it means it's going to let the tail wag the dog, especially on trivial things like a club's colours.

My opinion? The end result is ten times more likely to be sky blue being introduced as the away colour than CFG taking its bat and ball and going home a year and a half after making the initial purchase and committing God knows how many millions to building the infrastructure of the club.

87651635.ExdwAP6i.DSC06554_s.jpg

Not clutching at anything, sorry. If City was to switch to a sky blue home shirt and a white away shirt next year, I'd still be on board, in all likelihood. So, it's not a deal-breaker for me. I'm just looking at it logically.

CFG got a knock back six months ago and for some reason, people think it's still inevitable that it's going to happen in the very near future (i.e. next year), because CFG is going to 'really want it' or something (but it apparently didn't really want as much for its inaugural season, the season that some of our Manchester and New York friends might have been taking a bit of interest in what Melbourne City is doing). It would have been more important to CFG for the team to be in sky blue in year one, than it will be in year two, as far as I'm concerned.

By my reckoning, what people seem to think is inevitable within the next year or two with regards to the kit becoming sky blue, is the equivalent of New York City being given the all clear by the MLS to wear Nike in its second year, while the rest of the league is obliged to wear Adidas.

Not clutching at anything, sorry. If City was to switch to a sky blue home shirt and a white away shirt next year, I'd still be on board, in all likelihood. So, it's not a deal-breaker for me. I'm just looking at it logically.

CFG got a knock back six months ago and for some reason, people think it's still inevitable that it's going to happen in the very near future (i.e. next year), because CFG is going to 'really want it' or something (but it apparently didn't really want as much for its inaugural season, the season that some of our Manchester and New York friends might have been taking a bit of interest in what Melbourne City is doing). It would have been more important to CFG for the team to be in sky blue in year one, than it will be in year two, as far as I'm concerned.

By my reckoning, what people seem to think is inevitable within the next year or two with regards to the kit becoming sky blue, is the equivalent of New York City being given the all clear by the MLS to wear Nike in its second year, while the rest of the league is obliged to wear Adidas.

That really is clutching at straws. The MLS Adidas deal is league wide. Not just one other club in the same league. 

That really is clutching at straws. The MLS Adidas deal is league wide. Not just one other club in the same league. 

Is it? Arguably the two biggest and most recognisable clubs in the competition would be vehemently opposed to Melbourne City making sky blue its primary colour. And presumably the FFA and several other clubs could appreciate the dangerous precedent that would be set if the FFA allowed this. Because Brisbane wouldn't like it if some other billionaire bought the Wanderers and decided to change the home kit to all orange. Just like Perth would be if Adelaide was purchased and changed its colour to purple. Or Victory, if a Geelong team started up and wore navy blue.

Even if it doesn't directly affect them in this specific instance, the owners of the other A-League clubs would presumably be able to see how such a decision could impact them down the track, if the FFA was to approve this proposal.

Is it? Arguably the two biggest and most recognisable clubs in the competition would be vehemently opposed to Melbourne City making sky blue its primary colour. And presumably the FFA and several other clubs could appreciate the dangerous precedent that would be set if the FFA allowed this. Because Brisbane wouldn't like it if some other billionaire bought the Wanderers and decided to change the home kit to all orange. Just like Perth would be if Adelaide was purchased and changed its colour to purple. Or Victory, if a Geelong team started up and wore navy blue.

Even if it doesn't directly affect them in this specific instance, the owners of the other A-League clubs would presumably be able to see how such a decision could impact them down the track, if the FFA was to approve this proposal.

Why would victory care about this? The only team that does care is sydney and Its not a dangerous precedent, this is what happens with private ownership of clubs. Allowing one club to do it is not a 'dangerous precedent' and it wont lead to all these other billionaires coming in an changing the colours to other teams, if you continue that logic then every team will play with the same colour in the end, which of course is rridiculous 

Just because it didnt happen in year one doesn't mean at all that it wont happen in the near future nor does it suggest that now its not happen in year one they are not going to bother anymore. If this is the case then our training kits would have stayed black and white like they were early preseason. They didnt, they changed it to sky blue which tells me that they are confident they can get the FFA to agree.

Oh and they are even agitating to have the aleague run independently of the FFA which was already previously popular with current owners, ineidibly leading to more control of clubs by the owners. They also have a pretty strong argument for this change to  to happen already as it will lead to more ACL spots, which was one of the reasons why a spot was taken off the league last year (might have been the year before) 

Why would victory care about this? The only team that does care is sydney and Its not a dangerous precedent, this is what happens with private ownership of clubs. Allowing one club to do it is not a 'dangerous precedent' and it wont lead to all these other billionaires coming in an changing the colours to other teams, if you continue that logic then every team will play with the same colour in the end, which of course is rridiculous 

Just because it didnt happen in year one doesn't mean at all that it wont happen in the near future nor does it suggest that now its not happen in year one they are not going to bother anymore. If this is the case then our training kits would have stayed black and white like they were early preseason. They didnt, they changed it to sky blue which tells me that they are confident they can get the FFA to agree.

Oh and they are even agitating to have the aleague run independently of the FFA which was already previously popular with current owners, ineidibly leading to more control of clubs by the owners. They also have a pretty strong argument for this change to  to happen already as it will lead to more ACL spots, which was one of the reasons why a spot was taken off the league last year (might have been the year before) 

1. Victory would care about this because Victory would be fairly keen to remain 'the blue team in Melbourne'.

2. It would set a precedent that foreign owners can come in and do whatever the hell the like with an existing club, without giving a rat's arse about the history of the club that they're taking over, the greater good of the league and the interests of the other incumbent clubs. Owners that don't give a stuff about anything but themselves aren't the sort of owners that a sporting league especially needs.

3. Can you give me a single reason why the FFA would be inclined to reverse its decision from the preseason? What, exactly, has changed since the following official statement was made by Damien de Bohun?

"While the introduction of Manchester City into the A-League is a fantastic opportunity, we made the decision having regard to the fact that we are only a 10-team competition with young brands in a highly competitive environment,"

"Approving the change would have meant two teams with home shirts of an almost identical colour. We will consider any proposals put forward in the interests of achieving the right balance."

I wouldn't be surprised at all if CFG put a proposal forward again. But I'm 100% positive that Sydney would fight it tooth and nail if that did happen and I'm quite sure Sydney would have the backing of the other clubs. And I think that wearing sky blue training kits means precisely two fifths of stuff all.

4. An independent arbitrator was involved in reaching the original verdict on the application for the change of colours. So, this isn't just an FFA decision.

5. Would CFG really care if the team wore sky blue for away games, rather than at home? Can't say I really see why it would bother them at all, as long as there's a blue kit available for the players to pose for in a poxy photo shoot at the start of the season.

• Like 1

FFA won't role over on this.

The FFA aren't well known for backing down on anything.
The FFA were even willing to change the loan rules to stop Lampard playing with us despite what a massive boom that would have been to the A-League because they didn't like it and didn't want CFG having their way with the competition. I imagine CFG kicked up a stink about that but in the end they got nothing.

I can see us playing in an Argentina style strip but that's about it.

I disagree with the view that there will not be a change in this situation. IIRC there was no indication that FFA's original position on a change to sky blue was out of the question. I recall Gallop as being quoted along the lines of "We'll have to look at that" when asked about a re-branding of Melbourne Heart. The issue only became public when someone tipped Sydney off about the proposed change, and they lodged an objection. FFA then upheld that objection. Heart/City appealed and it was the appeal that was heard by an independent arbitrator; the appeal was subsequently dismissed.

Since then Melbourne City has done everything but change to a sky blue home jersey. The casual and training wear of City is sky blue as is just about everything else connected with the club. Even the FFA-approved web-site shows City with a sky blue colour and it is Sydney who have changed to a darker shade.

De Bohun's statement above is really a nothing statement. What brand competition is there between two teams 960km apart except when the two teams meet on the football field? None whatsoever. If there is brand competition it is here in Melbourne between ourselves and Victory with our adoption of dark blue as a "trim" colour, and also some of the supporter merchandise being offered by City. If FFA wants to "protect brands" then that's what it needs to be looking at.

The Lampard loan rules are an unfortunate result not only because of the rumour that Lamps was going to come to City on loan for half a season, but because clubs had been exploiting the loan player situation for some time. Victory and Brisbane were two clubs who had done it, and we had done it with Behich with his loan-back from Bursaspor. 

Overall I think that the licence owners of the 10 A-league franchises will continue to push for changes and for greater autonomy for both the league itself and the participating teams. IMO FFA will have to take its hand off the brake sooner or later, because people will not invest in something that has no chance of growing. That goes for prospective owners, for prospective players and coaches, and indeed for prospective fans.

I disagree with the view that there will not be a change in this situation. IIRC there was no indication that FFA's original position on a change to sky blue was out of the question. I recall Gallop as being quoted along the lines of "We'll have to look at that" when asked about a re-branding of Melbourne Heart. The issue only became public when someone tipped Sydney off about the proposed change, and they lodged an objection. FFA then upheld that objection. Heart/City appealed and it was the appeal that was heard by an independent arbitrator; the appeal was subsequently dismissed.

Since then Melbourne City has done everything but change to a sky blue home jersey. The casual and training wear of City is sky blue as is just about everything else connected with the club. Even the FFA-approved web-site shows City with a sky blue colour and it is Sydney who have changed to a darker shade.

De Bohun's statement above is really a nothing statement. What brand competition is there between two teams 960km apart except when the two teams meet on the football field? None whatsoever. If there is brand competition it is here in Melbourne between ourselves and Victory with our adoption of dark blue as a "trim" colour, and also some of the supporter merchandise being offered by City. If FFA wants to "protect brands" then that's what it needs to be looking at.

The Lampard loan rules are an unfortunate result not only because of the rumour that Lamps was going to come to City on loan for half a season, but because clubs had been exploiting the loan player situation for some time. Victory and Brisbane were two clubs who had done it, and we had done it with Behich with his loan-back from Bursaspor. 

Overall I think that the licence owners of the 10 A-league franchises will continue to push for changes and for greater autonomy for both the league itself and the participating teams. IMO FFA will have to take its hand off the brake sooner or later, because people will not invest in something that has no chance of growing. That goes for prospective owners, for prospective players and coaches, and indeed for prospective fans.

That is incorrect, if this article from May 29 last year is accurate.

"While the introduction of Manchester City into the A-League is a fantastic opportunity, we made the decision having regard to the fact that we are only a 10-team competition with young brands in a highly competitive environment," said FFA head of A-League Damien de Bohun. "Approving the change would have meant two teams with home shirts of an almost identical colour. We will consider any proposals put forward in the interests of achieving the right balance."

A grievance hearing took place at FFA headquarters in Sydney last week between Melbourne Heart and FFA, the result of an earlier decision by FFA chief executive David Gallop to reject Heart's request to change colours.

Gallop had originally told Heart's representatives that he agreed with Sydney FC's determination to keep the sky blue colour solely aligned with the two-time champions.

The inference that I draw from that article is that CFG spoke to the FFA about it, FFA essentially said 'we don't think that's a great idea', CFG took it further, Sydney was asked to join in the discussions and ultimately the FFA and an independent arbitrator agreed with the original thinking that there shouldn't be two sky blue teams in a ten team competition.

I was referring to an earlier report, where Gallop was caught on the hop at the end of a media interview shortly after the sale of the licence. However, I accept that I may be incorrect with my recollection.

I don't resile from my position that CFG will keep the pressure on FFA. Just about the only thing that City have not changed is the colour of the home jersey. The rest of the City franchise is awash with sky blue.

I was referring to an earlier report, where Gallop was caught on the hop at the end of a media interview shortly after the sale of the licence. However, I accept that I may be incorrect with my recollection.

I don't resile from my position that CFG will keep the pressure on FFA. Just about the only thing that City have not changed is the colour of the home jersey. The rest of the City franchise is awash with sky blue.

I remember what you're talking about too and I think the way you remember it is pretty much in line with me. I think it was pretty much a general 'how receptive are you to the new owners changing branding of the existing Melbourne Heart franchise: logo, kit, name etc' and instead of saying 'CFG can go root its boot if it thinks its changing anything at that club' Gallop did the sensible thing and essentially said 'We'll discuss that with the relevant parties, if and when it comes up down the track.'

• Like 2

I remember what you're talking about too and I think the way you remember it is pretty much in line with me. I think it was pretty much a general 'how receptive are you to the new owners changing branding of the existing Melbourne Heart franchise: logo, kit, name etc' and instead of saying 'CFG can go root its boot if it thinks its changing anything at that club' Gallop did the sensible thing and essentially said 'We'll discuss that with the relevant parties, if and when it comes up down the track.'

Correct. It was shortly after the take over. Alot earlier than May. The previous decision cited in that article was from only a week or two before.

I think we all realise that CFG will not rest till they have a sky blue home Jersey,. I do think it will take more than one season to accomplish though and it is simplistic to think that Sydney will stop objecting any time soon. I suspect sky blue away might be the thin edge of the wedge CFG use.
  • Like 1

Another aspect to this that has slipped from the front page is the small matter of the trademark applications by the two Melbourne City Football Clubs. I checked today - the applications, or decisions on the applications, are still shown as "Pending - Under Examination - Deferred" (whatever that means!).

Another aspect to this that has slipped from the front page is the small matter of the trademark applications by the two Melbourne City Football Clubs. I checked today - the applications, or decisions on the applications, are still shown as "Pending - Under Examination - Deferred" (whatever that means!).

Funnily enough I was thinking about this yesterday.  Looked on the real Melbourne City's website.  Last update was several months old, reiterating their position.