Melbourne Football

MERCHANDISE

silverdust

8 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Excellent. I hope that they announce it that way.

Red away is here to stay!

3 minutes ago, Heart Inaugural said:

I would love to believe this but only time will tell I guess...

It was a very reliable source. It was some time ago, and I must say that I had expected some sort of announcement from the club. But our PR seems to be a bit hit-and-miss. For example, when I last looked a couple of days ago Florin was still listed in the senior squad...

So I've been doing a bit of a deep dive on our leaked ALM kits this season and it's only now that I left the son with his grandparents that I can actually sit down and type something up.

I think the general concensus is that they're...underwhelming. I'd love to know how these decisions are made; do Puma present the club with the shirt and that's it or do they give us some options? In my opinion, it's not hard to find vastly better options from within the Puma stable of clubs which makes me assume that the club gets basically no input.

Home:

There are six teams (that I can find) wearing a version of the template we have:

Braga in Portugal, Heidenheim in Germany, Parma in Italy, Inverness in Scotland, Fleetwood Town in England and Apollon Limassol in Cyprus.

As you can see in all of those kits, the printed design of diamonds/squares covers the entire length of the shirt and contrasts with the plain sleeves. In Fleetwood Town's kit the sleeves are even a different colour. Of those examples, all but Braga have a round neck.

For me, the things in our design that ruin it are the fact that the sublimated white squares stop at around the armpits. This means there's no contrast with the sleeves which just makes it look a bit dull and uninteresting. The V neck doesn't do it for me either, seeing the round necks on the other kits makes me wonder why go with a V? Just because last season's kit had a round neck?

So what should our kit look like? Probably Heidenheim's kit with two shades of blue (I know having a dark blue would be risky but it wouldn't be navy, just dark enough to contrast with city blue), city blue sleeves and a round, white neck.

Away:

There are three teams rocking the gradient sash template this season:

Palermo in Italy, Al Hilal in Saudi Arabia and Ibiza in Spain.

So ours is not much different to the template here, it's just in red while the rest are in blue. I think the Palermo one looks nice and goes well with their usual colour palette. The problem with ours is the light red just looks orange and the V neck looks out of place again. It just makes it all too angular for me...

Options? Well what's wrong with a striped kit? Here are a few that I think would work:

PSV (with red and white stripes obvs)

Cracovia

Sporting de Gijon

Maritimo

Lancaster City (red not blue)

Rio Ave (red not green)

Third:

Well we haven't seen a third kit yet and this post has taken me an hour already so I'll make this quick. I'm over black/charcoal.

Maybe you guys can have a trawl here and see what you'd like. https://www.footballkitarchive.com/puma-2023-24-kits/

• Like 2

I know I'm just an old man shouting at the clouds, but I think, and always will, that we should play in our Foundation colours. The only concession I would make, under protest, would be to replace the white with City blue, pretty much like Crystal Palace wore last season but of course lighter blue. Changing the colours and/or design every season is just ripping money off supporters, and I'm surprised people fall for it.

Back under my rock now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, jw1739 said:

The new 2023-24 kits have been released. Now I was promised by an inside source that the away kit was always going to be red and white from this season on. And now it's not. This club cannot be trusted.

I know mate: customers instead of members!

This makes me happy though, welcome back Aziz 🔴

FB_IMG_1696644887730.thumb.jpg.23b20dcbd0418148c7d59a0605cba9af.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...