Melbourne Football

Active Area Ideas

troyboy

OK I'm new to this forum thing so if I'm posting this in the wrong area then apologies in advance!! With the increase in the active area in both membership and space allocated to it, I have noticed that there hasn't been much discussion about how this expansion will be handled(if there has been and I just can't find the thread then will be happy to be pointed in the right direction!!). Anyway, I thought I would float some ideas/issues and see what people think:

Inactive "active" supporters - Bay 16(directly behind the goals) has always appeared to be the active area despite the 2 bays either side also being designated active. There are a number of reasons why this is:

1.Active memberships are a reserved seat and the same price as a GA membership so people who don't really want to be active buy these to guarantee a seat at Victory Derby matches at AAMI Park and avoid paying the extra charge for the reserved seat on top of the GA membership. We can't change this now but we have to make these people feel comfortable enough to maybe become active.

2. It's a reserved seat so people sit where their ticket says they have to sit(it's an AFL thing). This will be my 3rd year as an active member but it took me at least a season before I felt comfortable enough to ask if I could join the fun group in bay 16.

3. The outer bays are rarely filled and as a result no one wants to be the first one to get up and sing. I didn't that's why I asked to join the fun group!!

With the expansion of this area I think we have a great opportunity to build a really successful, entertaining and fun area that people will want to come to. Here's some suggestions:

Bring everyone together - Encourage people to fill the empty seats at the front(when/if possible). Let them know it's ok to sit closer despite what their ticket says. We want them to feel welcome.

Have some people from the core organising group( I'm happy to pitch in and help) go to the outer bays and explain that we need them to stand and sing. Make them feel included rather than yelling at them for not participating. Most of them want to join in they are just too shy to ask!! Get the capo with the megaphone to start some chants from the outer bays and people will get on board. This happened once last year and it works. Or put some of the organisers in each bay to help co ordinate some chants.

I am a recent convert to soccer and the main reason for that is because of the fun I have had as an active supporter of this club. It has given me a new perspective of the sport that I never imagined. Up until I got involved I thought the songs were taunts that soccer hooligans used to start fights. I had no idea they were entertaining and sometimes funny. If I can be turned around then I'm sure there are others out there who are waiting for us to make them welcome. Let's go get 'em!!!

• Like 1

The main issue with this is many families (not sure if they're clueless or just like sitting behind the goals aka active area) tend to not get involved per se as much as us active guys do.

There's only one solution: burn the families.

I think you are spot on with this. I'm pretty sure that these families are the ones buying the active memberships to avoid the reserved seat charge. Rather than burn them, I would rather educate them and let it happen with some gentle persuasion!!! Have someone from the organising group go in to the bays for the first few home games and explain what is expected of them. Those that want to participate will be encouraged to come down. Those that don't can either move to the back of the area, or go to a vacant section of the GA area. If anyone complains, then I would quote them the following from the active supporter membership page from the website:

"Join the energetic voice of members in the southern end at AAMI Park, standing and singing throughout the game. You will be amongst the pulse of support taking in the great atmosphere."

If people don't like the activity in the active area they have bought a membership in, they can take it up with the club and in my opinion, should have read the page properly.