1. 1. Who Should be Captain?

• Damien Duff
    • Patrick Kisnorbo
    • Robert Koren
    • Aaron Mooy
    • Massimo Murdocca
    • Rob Wielaert
    • Other

I have it under good authority that Paddy K. will be our captain this season. Lock him in :up:

Spoke to him today he is a top bloke very nice to my 15 month daughter also

Haha I actually saw him playing with (who quite possibly was) your daughter - she's cute and yeah, he did seem very genuine.

I have it under good authority that Paddy K. will be our captain this season. Lock him in :up:

not old paddy talking himself up again? :P

It was actually another player who spilled the beans not realising he was supposed to. In fact this player even thought the captaincy may have even been announced today at the Family Day...you must forgive him though, he is relatively new to the club  ;)

Spoke to him today he is a top bloke very nice to my 15 month daughter also

Haha I actually saw him playing with (who quite possibly was) your daughter - she's cute and yeah, he did seem very genuine.

not old paddy talking himself up again? :P

It was actually another player who spilled the beans not realising he was supposed to. In fact this player even thought the captaincy may have even been announced today at the Family Day...you must forgive him though, he is relatively new to the club  ;)

BIG FUCKN ERIK PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARTALU

• 2 weeks later...

Melbourne City’s veteran defender Patrick Kisnorbo becomes the rebranded club’s first captain

MATT WINDLEY

OCTOBER 04, 2014 

MELBOURNE City, meet your new skipper.

Patrick Kisnorbo will this on Saturday morning be named as the first captain of the new City era and will lead his club for the first time in next Saturday’s Round 1 clash with Sydney FC at Allianz Stadium.

The 33-year-old “boy from the suburbs” says he can think of “nothing spectacular” about himself that elevated him to such a status, saying: “what you see is what you get”.

He said the captaincy is “not going to change who I am and what I am as a player” and insists he will treat Spanish superstar David Villa as “one of the boys” when he arrives in Melbourne on Tuesday.

423690-84b113b0-4abc-11e4-9e77-7409857ba

But the at times volatile central defender sheepishly conceded on Friday he may have to tweak the way he approaches referees when a decision goes against him or his team.

“I’ll definitely have to watch my language,” Kisnorbo told the Herald Sun.

“In the heat of the moment sometimes things are said and you react in a certain way. But obviously now being captain I’ll have to tone that down and be one of those responsible players who can talk to referees properly and not react like I used to.”

There were plenty of candidates for the captain’s armband.

International marquee Robert Koren captained Slovenia at the 2010 World Cup and Hull City in the English Premier League; winger Damien Duff led Ireland at Euro 2012; defender Rob Wielaert skippered FC Twente in the European Champions League; midfielder Massimo Murdocca is a two-time A-League title winner with leadership experience.

Kisnorbo was captain at Leicester City in the English Championship over two seasons in the mid 2000s, but said he was “absolutely shocked” when coach John van‘t Schip took him aside and offered him the role before training one morning.

“I didn’t hesitate,” he said.

“I said, ‘I would love to be captain of this club and hopefully I’m a successful one’.

“Within 10 minutes JVS got the staff and players at the training ground around in a circle and he announced it to everyone. It was great, everyone acknowledged me and shook my hand and wished me all the best and that’s what you want.

“Hopefully I can lead the players in the right way.”

Kisnorbo said he doesn’t feel any added pressure leading a club that has had such heightened expectations placed upon it in the wake of January’s Manchester City takeover.

He joked that he’s started taking Spanish classes ahead of Villa’s highly anticipated arrival.

But asked how he will handle the former Barcelona and Atletico Madrid striker, Kisnorbo perhaps gave City fans the best insight in to how he will lead the club this season.

“At the end of the day there’s no hierarchy here,” he said.

“We all wear boots, we’ve got two legs and two arms so we’re all the same, that’s how I see it. No one is higher or lower than each other and the same thing goes with the youth team.

“And that’s how I’m going to judge everyone and speak to everyone, like we’re all one, that’s it.”

“At the end of the day we all want to achieve the same goals so there will be no preferential treatment to anybody.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-citys-veteran-defender-patrick-kisnorbo-becomes-the-rebranded-clubs-first-captain/story-fnk6rlg0-1227079423768?nk=5832190f428556c8d5a33e857812d0a6

• Like 2

It's good that he recognises certain aspects of his behaviour that he needs to improve on ...

although I question why he wouldn't have addressed these behavioural issues anyway.

Hopefully he steps up and is the type of leader to take the club forward, which will be a new thing for our club.

If he doesn't curb his crazy, then an ill disciplined captain will be a bad thing for the team overall.

I still believe Paartalu would have been a better long term choice, but I wish Paddy all the best, and I will be 100% behind him as a captain ... now it is up to him

PS - I very much think that this forum would have helped influence the club's decision

I really hope this forum didnt influence the decision. Id rather the playing group and coaches choose, rather than a bunch of people in the distance who really have no clue 

Fixed.

When you have players contributing to too much of the decisions on how things are run a team will fall to pieces.  The manager needs to be in charge.

• Like 1

I kind of agree with Ange P that the role of the captain in football is way overstated. Kisnorbo has some admirable qualities and some that he himself admits need curbing. I agree with what TA suggests above in terms of Patty K. I feel he also gives the AFl captain persona which the media love and supporters too. Hopefully its an inspired choice.

Agree that the captaincy is probably in general overstated. It is much more important for all playing to be hard working and responsible, rather than to have one player (the captain) who is meant to be super hardworking and responsible and an example to others, and is meant to motivate them (the very suggestion that players should need 'motivation' is why captaincy is somewhat problematic, or at least overrated). For example, look at WSW. I had no idea who their captain was until I looked it up (apparently it's Topor-stanley), as they seem to normally have most or all of the team being hardworking and responsible, rather than a captain leading the way, and that's the way it should be IMO (I'd say the same is also true of Ange's teams).

At the same time, though, I don't believe it hurts a team when a good leader is given the symbolic armband. It probably helps a little, but I think if a team relies on its captain then that means that the other 10 players are shirking responsibility.

I think Kisnorbo is a solid choice for captain. If captains do add a little bit extra to the team, I think Kisnorbo is a player who will definitely do that. He always works hard for the 90 minutes, and his grit and commitment (which were so perfectly demonstrated with that tackle) will be a good constant reminder to teammates of what is required for success (in those rare instances that players might need reminding). I also think Kisnorbo's passing and ball skills have improved out of sight since his first games for Heart, and hopefully the captaincy spur him on to continue improving as a player. Kisnorbo still seems to have Socceroos aspirations, so I can see the captaincy and those aspirations bringing the best out of him this season. And as long as Kisnorbo can keep his cool and stop with the rash challenges (I recall he suggested the referees were wrong last season when the refs blew the whistle after his strong challenges... as if that's important. All players simply have to adjust their performances to be inline with the refereeing of the competition they are playing in), I can see him undoubtedly being one of the best central defenders in the A-League this season. 

Edited by Murfy1

Patrick Kisnorbo will lead Melbourne City from the front, says John van 't Schip

Michael Lynch

October 8, 2014

Patrick Kisnorbo's commitment to the contest and ability to link the different generations within Melbourne City's first-team squad were the factors behind choosing him as captain for the newly branded club, coach John van 't Schip says.

Former coach John Aloisi had handed Harry Kewell the armband last season when he returned to Australia, but the former Socceroos star was injured most of the season and Dutch defender Rob Wielaert usually did the job in Kewell's absence.

When van 't Schip replaced Aloisi midway through the season, he left things as they were.

But now, as the remodelled Melbourne Heart begins life as one of the wealthiest clubs in the A-League, the Dutch coach has decided to shake things up, settling on Kisnorbo as the face of the new team.

"Last year when I came in I didn't change that much," van 't Schip said. "Harry was captain, Robbie the deputy, those decisions were made before my time.

"I had a good view on this whole pre-season, had a look around at what was happening and what we were doing, and decided to change. Patrick is a boy from Melbourne, he is very well integrated in with the group, he gets on well with the young and old, so I decided he would be good in the role.

"His presence and professionalism is good, he gives an example in all the other things, too. Patrick is a player that always plays to the limit. He is hard and fair, he doesn't have to change his game. He will certainly go up front when the battle is on. He will also lead from the back when the game is tight and the pressure is on."

City goes into its opening fixture against Sydney FC with a wealth of attacking players but question marks over its defence, where it will use former winger Iain Ramsay at left-back and may turn to inexperienced youngster Ross Archibald to fill in at right-back, to cover for the suspension of first-choice right-back Jason Hoffman.

Van 't Schip's side will likely take the game to Sydney, which is expected to adopt a counter-attacking strategy under new coach Graham Arnold. The former Dutch international said having David Villa in his side was an obvious boost, but he was no more excited about this game than any other he had been involved in during a long career as a player and coach.

"I am excited about every game, it doesn't really matter," van 't Schip said. "When I was youth coach at Ajax I was excited after a week of training to go out and have a game. Every time it was like an exam of what you are doing, and if you are passionate about your job and the team, then that is the best moment to see how you are and how the team reacts to you.

"Both teams have a lot of expectations on them in this game."

Speculation that the FFA was leaning on City to ensure Villa played in the opening game – despite him only arriving earlier this week – was wide of the mark, club sources indicated.

"There has been no contact over the matter," a City insider said. "We will make any decisions on how he plays, where he plays and if he plays, and for how long, based on football criteria."

It is understood the club tried to keep its distance from the FFA over the Villa guest stint because it did not want to be beholden to the game's governing body over use of the player.

With Sydney playing in sky-blue shirts, it is expected City will play in its second kit of red and white stripes – the strip used by predecessor Melbourne Heart – in Saturday night's game, its first A-League fixture under Manchester City's ownership.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/patrick-kisnorbo-will-lead-melbourne-city-from-the-front-says-john-van-t-schip-20141008-10rf4b.html

Edited by Murfy1

Interesting bit of news about the FFA. Some journalists (particularly Simon Hill) have said from the start that our new owners and directors will push for change and it looks like they are starting early. Although I understand the FFA stance in retaining tight controls over clubs since the league is still very young and its competing within a very saturated market with a small population, hopefully the cfg push for more independence for the club and the league.

Edited by Dylan

• 1 month later...

Time for Paddy to be relieved of the armband and for it to be given to Aaron Mooy

No way. The boy has been our one shining light this season, why on earth would you want to burden him down with captaincy...

Going through the current team and as absurd as it may sound too some, Hoffy actually comes into consideration. Not sure who else is standing out at the moment. 

Perhaps that sums up our current situation - no leadership off the ground and no leadership on it.

Time for Paddy to be relieved of the armband and for it to be given to Aaron Mooy

No way. The boy has been our one shining light this season, why on earth would you want to burden him down with captaincy...

Going through the current team and as absurd as it may sound too some, Hoffy actually comes into consideration. Not sure who else is standing out at the moment. 

Perhaps that sums up our current situation - no leadership off the ground and no leadership on it.

I can understand the 'burden' concept but maybe it might take Mooy to a new level :up:

Anyway, I reckon the clumsy oaf Paddy should make way for someone that's providing onfield leadership by the way they are playing at a consistently high level.

Said the whole time he was a shit choice for captain. Slow and tries to make up for it with clumsy last ditch tackles. You want your captain to be composed even in the thick of it. He'd be ok if Wielaert wasnt alongside him and was complimented by a younger more mobile CB.

I would have gone with Koren and right now we'd be saying it was a shit choice to choose an ageing player who hadn't started a game for us yet haha. Is one of those things that when the teams performing badly, every aspect of the team is pointed to as the reason all of a sudden.

The only aspect that I believe is completely wrong is that at the top comig from JVS. He's the only consistent thing that's been present in our shit history. Could have anyone as captain and we'd still be shit. FWIW I think Kewell was our best captain and he was captain in our worst season. Class on the ball and tried to get the players going despite being surround by semi professional footballers like Walker, Vrankovic, Kalmar et al. Changing captains won't change a single thing other than to send a divide amongst the ranks.

Surely CFG can see it's not working under JVS and it's only a matter of time til he's shown the door. I'd guess at seasons end.

• Like 2

I can understand the 'burden' concept but maybe it might take Mooy to a new level :up:

Anyway, I reckon the clumsy oaf Paddy should make way for someone that's providing onfield leadership by the way they are playing at a consistently high level.

Just want to make this point again. It's time to relieve sh!t Paddy of the 'burden' and give it to someone who deserves it because of the way they play. Would give it to either Duff or Mooy with a preference for the young Aussie. Deserves it by a country mile.

Edited by HEARTinator