Melbourne Football

The Erik Paartalu Thread

kingofhearts

Overall IMO this is a very good signing in every way. Proven good footballer of the right age, and he's signed for four years and under the cap. Alongside Mooy (3 years) and Koren (2 years) perhaps we can now develop some understandings and consistencies in the engine-room of the team over at least the next two seasons.

IMO his signature might spell the end for a couple of our players in due course, but to counter that having a good midfield will help our youngsters such as Mauk and Melling on the occasions when they have to come into the side.

Good work by City. 

• Like 1

This signing changes the dynamic of the squad. Erik is a winner and has experience in getting the job done. He scores goals from a DM position which is hard to find. I also find it interesting that he signed a 4yr deal, shows real intent and long term plan for the club. Will make it hard for Germano, and Mass to get a run.

I love everything about this signing. His fit and ready to go.. I really can't see our squad finishing any lower then 3rd.

• Like 1

There might be a bit of editing happening in the 2014/2015 season predictions thread

Not from me. This is exactly the type of thing I was saying I wanted to see. More please. My expectations are still just as high and if the gaps in the squad are filled then there is even less excuses not to see a top 2 finish. Tbh with a good LB and if kennedy commes in Jan, I think we will be in a good position to contend. Definitely. My rant the other day came more from the frustration of 1- not being able to see it all coming together and 2- people saying they would be happy if we came 6th.

If we can fill those last 2 gaps and JVS is able to keep the team playing constantly well throughout the bulk of the season we should do very well.

I agreed with your rant the other day and still do. It was frustrating to see the squad with big gaps and it appearing that nothing was happening. It did feel like we had given up a club we loved for a new club that promised so much, but appeared to becoming more of the same. I just hope that the rest of the gaps are filled and this isn't just the last good signing till xmas window.

Also the Man City lads did warn us early on that CFG would do all their business quietly and that it would be quite frustrating.

• Like 1

This signing changes the dynamic of the squad. Erik is a winner and has experience in getting the job done. He scores goals from a DM position which is hard to find. I also find it interesting that he signed a 4yr deal, shows real intent and long term plan for the club. Will make it hard for Germano, and Mass to get a run.

I love everything about this signing. His fit and ready to go.. I really can't see our squad finishing any lower then 3rd.

Still need a striker desperately. As shit as Ramsay is we can at least cover him early in the season until we get a proper LB. 

A striker however, i honestly can't see anyone on this team atm who can finish for shit outside of Villa. I really hope Kennedy comes or we are fucked

Still need a striker desperately. As shit as Ramsay is we can at least cover him early in the season until we get a proper LB. 

A striker however, i honestly can't see anyone on this team atm who can finish for shit outside of Villa. I really hope Kennedy comes or we are fucked

may be Willo finally improve his finishing from 1 in every 5 certain goal chances to 2 in every 5 and therefore score 24 goals.

may be Willo finally improve his finishing from 1 in every 5 certain goal chances to 2 in every 5 and therefore score 24 goals.

dream on son

• Like 2

There might be a bit of editing happening in the 2014/2015 season predictions thread

Not from me. This is exactly the type of thing I was saying I wanted to see. More please. My expectations are still just as high and if the gaps in the squad are filled then there is even less excuses not to see a top 2 finish.Tbh with a good LB and if kennedy commes in Jan, I think we will be in a good position to contend.Definitely. My rant the other day came more from the frustration of 1- not being able to see it all coming together and 2- people saying they would be happy if we came 6th.

If we can fill those last 2 gaps and JVS is able to keep the team playing constantly well throughout the bulk of the season we should do very well. I agreed with your rant the other day and still do. It was frustrating to see the squad with big gaps and it appearing that nothing was happening. It did feel like we had given up a club we loved for a new club that promised so much, but appeared to becoming more of the same. I just hope that the rest of the gaps are filled and this isn't just the last good signing till xmas window.

Also the Man City lads did warn us early on that CFG would do all their business quietly and that it would be quite frustrating.

Just in regards to your club that promised too much comment

Duff (under cap)

Koren

Mooy (under cap)

Paartalu (under cap)

Villa (10 game stint)

Kennedy (most likely Aussie marquee)

Compared to......

Mifsud

• Like 2

Not from me. This is exactly the type of thing I was saying I wanted to see. More please. My expectations are still just as high and if the gaps in the squad are filled then there is even less excuses not to see a top 2 finish.Tbh with a good LB and if kennedy commes in Jan, I think we will be in a good position to contend.Definitely. My rant the other day came more from the frustration of 1- not being able to see it all coming together and 2- people saying they would be happy if we came 6th.

If we can fill those last 2 gaps and JVS is able to keep the team playing constantly well throughout the bulk of the season we should do very well.I agreed with your rant the other day and still do. It was frustrating to see the squad with big gaps and it appearing that nothing was happening. It did feel like we had given up a club we loved for a new club that promised so much, but appeared to becoming more of the same. I just hope that the rest of the gaps are filled and this isn't just the last good signing till xmas window.

Also the Man City lads did warn us early on that CFG would do all their business quietly and that it would be quite frustrating.Just in regards to your club that promised too much comment

Duff (under cap)

Koren

Mooy (under cap)

Paartalu (under cap)

Villa (10 game stint)

Compared to......

Mifsud Im not sticking up for the Heart regime at all. Though arguably Mooy was signed by them.

Villa I don't think counts as he is only here as a marketing tool/training session. Kennedy isnt confirmed yet, which really only leaves Koren and Duff as the rants were before Paartalu and also relate to us needing to finish 2nd otherwise it is going to be a failure of a season.

I do agree that Duff and Koren are brilliant signings, but my point was with Hoffman at RB, Ramsay quite possibly at LB, Weilart who is slowing down very fast and can give away penalties along with Paddy K who can give away pens and fouls in dangerous positions quite often and then you have either of two keepers who no one has any faith in at all, is it just going to be like previous seasons where a player was signed to appease the fans yet leave huge gaps in the squad?

Obviously the Paartalu signing changes alot and has me excited for the season to come, I still think we need a LB and Kennedy (in Jan). With Paartalu as DM he will take alot of pressure off our defence.

Edit: There might also be a bit of bitterness that Lamps didn't come here and instead he played for city despite him saying he wouldnt play for another PL team.

Edited by malloy
  • Like 1

It's actually hilarious reading the comments from the tards fans. They are so butt hurt about us signing all these quality players and their excuses are competely flawed when you consider we are in a salary cap and visa limited league, and therefore operate under the same restrictions as every other team.

Reading their comments really shows why they are called the tards.

Not from me. This is exactly the type of thing I was saying I wanted to see. More please. My expectations are still just as high and if the gaps in the squad are filled then there is even less excuses not to see a top 2 finish. Tbh with a good LB and if kennedy commes in Jan, I think we will be in a good position to contend. Definitely. My rant the other day came more from the frustration of 1- not being able to see it all coming together and 2- people saying they would be happy if we came 6th.

If we can fill those last 2 gaps and JVS is able to keep the team playing constantly well throughout the bulk of the season we should do very well. I agreed with your rant the other day and still do. It was frustrating to see the squad with big gaps and it appearing that nothing was happening. It did feel like we had given up a club we loved for a new club that promised so much, but appeared to becoming more of the same. I just hope that the rest of the gaps are filled and this isn't just the last good signing till xmas window.

Duff (under cap)

Koren

Mooy (under cap)

Paartalu (under cap)

Villa (10 game stint)

Compared to......

Mifsud

and 

The lifetime friends I made in Yarraside

Having our identity taken from us was about much more than results or who we did/didnt sign. What we built in the Yarraside meant a lot to me but I was OK to let it go providing it was  replaced with something that would help Aust football grow to new levels. When the club goes silent for so long, I begin to have flashbacks of when it seemed like the fans cared more for the club that the people who ran it did. It would seem my concern was not warranted, but its something I cant help.

• Like 3

Haven't been this happy about the club for a few months!  What a get, and under the cap for 4 years.  Either he plays it out or we get a bit of cash, win win.   And now we actually have some defensive strength.

Paartalu Koren Mooy

Best technical midfield in the A-League's history. 

Then you have Dugandzic, Duff on the wings and Villa/Kennedy as our striker.

Kisnorbo and Weilaert can do a job and hopefully Germano can stay fit at RB and have a young LB step up.

Sexy midfield. We just need another striker and it is a terrifying attack

When David Villa and David Williams isnt enough

Oh no

I rate david williams #unpopularopinions

I'll give you credit for sticking with your opinion :up:

But this season, be prepared to watch the slow death of David Williams career

• Like 2

Duff (under cap)

Koren

Mooy (under cap)

Paartalu (under cap)

Villa (10 game stint)

Compared to......

Mifsud

and 

The lifetime friends I made in Yarraside

Having our identity taken from us was about much more than results or who we did/didnt sign. What we built in the Yarraside meant a lot to me but I was OK to let it go providing it was  replaced with something that would help Aust football grow to new levels. When the club goes silent for so long, I begin to have flashbacks of when it seemed like the fans cared more for the club that the people who ran it did. It would seem my concern was not warranted, but its something I cant help.

This. So Much.

Williams is handy off the bench and that is about it.

Villa is only here for 10 and I don't see him giving more than 70% for those 10 games (villa at 70% is still amazing)

And i'll believe Kennedy when I see him in a jersey.

We are just 2 signings away from having a very strong, top 4 squad.

Edited by Tonyboozeadams

I remember Gretna coming up the leagues

Unfortunately for them their benefactor pulled out when they got relegated from the SPL

No not true!

Gretna due to that same rich benefactor won the Division 3, Div 2 and then Div 1 Scottish leagues and were promoted to Scottish Premier League. Paartalu and Iain Ramsey were both at Gretna at the time co-incidentally.

The benefactor became ill and due to the fact he was the only one signing cheques for Gretna FC, the team went broke and basically all players lost all their benefits and the team collapsed financially and were ruined. Paartalu and others were forced to find other clubs quickly, hence his move to Stirling Albion and then Morton.

The benefactor never recovered and died a short time later, not only causing problems for Gretna but also for the multi-million dollar business empire he had created.

Edited by Ray

I remember watching SBS a number of years ago (think it was "The World Game") and they had Paartalu on as he had just been signed by Gretna.  The interviewer was that bloke who's name escapes me but he later had a "handbags" blue with Farina in the tunnel after the Australia vs Iraq friendly and some time later went off and worked for ESPN. 

Anyway as I recall EP recounted how he'd been at an NSL club but then hadn't been picked up by the A league teams when they came along and was absolutely stoked to be "joining a team like Gretna".  The story caught my attention as I wondered who had it right, the A League recruiters or the Gretna scouts?  I wonder if any of the comparable age players signed by the fledgling A League clubs instead are still playing pro football?

I know Gretna turned out to be a bit of horror trip for Paartalu, but in the end it probably worked out well.  He might not have got paid, but he got to play in a higher level than he would have in Oz and managed to pick up another club in Scotland, which clearly stood him in good stead when he did finally land an A League contract.

Edited by Shahanga