Melbourne Football

The Erik Paartalu Thread

kingofhearts

There might be a bit of editing happening in the 2014/2015 season predictions thread

Not from me. This is exactly the type of thing I was saying I wanted to see. More please. My expectations are still just as high and if the gaps in the squad are filled then there is even less excuses not to see a top 2 finish.

Great signing!

He will add so much to the squad, Experience, Goals and competition for places within the team..

I agree with most of the comments about this signing and our squad looks like a top 4 side.. I'll keep my prediction for this season which is Melbourne City FC will finish 3rd...

If we get a striker that can finish we could win the league...

There might be a bit of editing happening in the 2014/2015 season predictions thread

Not from me. This is exactly the type of thing I was saying I wanted to see. More please. My expectations are still just as high and if the gaps in the squad are filled then there is even less excuses not to see a top 2 finish.

Tbh with a good LB and if kennedy commes in Jan, I think we will be in a good position to contend.

Tbh with a good LB and if kennedy commes in Jan, I think we will be in a good position to contend.

Definitely. My rant the other day came more from the frustration of 1- not being able to see it all coming together and 2- people saying they would be happy if we came 6th.

If we can fill those last 2 gaps and JVS is able to keep the team playing constantly well throughout the bulk of the season we should do very well.

• Like 1

Not from me. This is exactly the type of thing I was saying I wanted to see. More please. My expectations are still just as high and if the gaps in the squad are filled then there is even less excuses not to see a top 2 finish. Tbh with a good LB and if kennedy commes in Jan, I think we will be in a good position to contend. Definitely. My rant the other day came more from the frustration of 1- not being able to see it all coming together and 2- people saying they would be happy if we came 6th.

If we can fill those last 2 gaps and JVS is able to keep the team playing constantly well throughout the bulk of the season we should do very well.

Exactly how I feel.

Chuffed with Erik!!! Have wanted him all off season but had given up on him weeks ago.

Kudos malimate haha, did you see him around or just a good sauce?

How good are the derbies going to be?!? Paartalu Koren Mooy V Milligan Valeri Finkler. Immense midfields by A League standard.

• Like 1

Not from me. This is exactly the type of thing I was saying I wanted to see. More please. My expectations are still just as high and if the gaps in the squad are filled then there is even less excuses not to see a top 2 finish.Tbh with a good LB and if kennedy commes in Jan, I think we will be in a good position to contend.Definitely. My rant the other day came more from the frustration of 1- not being able to see it all coming together and 2- people saying they would be happy if we came 6th.

Kudos malimate haha, did you see him around or just a good sauce?

Lucky enough to know someone who the club works with.

• Like 1

FUCK YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! 

My hopes for this season have just skyrocketed, Paartalu is the best player we could have asked for to occupy the holding midfield role we needed to fill.

Our fullbacks are still terrible so hopefully we rectify that in the coming weeks but otherwise, well done Heart HQ.

This is fantastic news and it adds further steel to our midfield congrats to our club on signing Erik Paartalu, I look forward to our season, all we need now is a decent striker ie. Josh Kennedy and a decent LB to replace Aziz Behich!

I expect now this team to gel in with Paartalu and push itself for a top 5 spot with finals and a decent run.....imagine that and imagine are pre march and festivities that go along with if it we make finals. 

Its going to be a great season ahead I can feel it! :D

Edited by elieanid
  • Like 3

As great a signing as Paartalu is, especially under the cap, not enough attention is going towards the best part of this deal:Our last visa spot must be going towards a left back :clap: :clap: :clap:WE GON WIN THE LEAGUE :up:

Out of likes but I could like this post all day every day.

No excuses for this season.

Top signing. We haven't ever had a player like him, but we sure as hell have needed one.

Helps our structure immensely, but we aren't winning the league with Tando/Redmayne in goals, and no permanent striker (yet).

With the cap, HAL squads will always be weaker in some areas which is why it's so important not to simply think having a good lineup will automatically mean results. And when in a good squad under good leadership it's quite surprising how much better weaker players become. Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 4

Why would a player reportedly earning half a mil overseas want to come to the bottom ranked team in Australia and sign for 4 years?

Something must be improving at Melbourne City. He did the same at Roar joining with a team of no-ones and winning 2 championships. Hope that JVS is as good a man manager as Postecogolou.

• Like 1

Maybe last visa spot for a striker?

I think that Visa spot really needs to be used on a left back, or if the club decides Tom King is that LB, another Centre Back.

We've got plenty of quality through the midfield and we may still get Kennedy in Jan if Villa goes. I'm confident that we'll gel and start to score goals anyway, however I only have a slight level of confidence in our defensive stability though and most of that confidence comes from the addition of Paartalu.

Edited by King Malta

This sounds like a very good signing

Which team did he play for in Scotland? Have to confess I haven't heard of him.

Played for a small club called Gretna around 7 or 8 years ago who are now no longer in existence. His best form and where he really created his name was for Brisbane in their first two championships, an integral member of that team, great at breaking down play and very dangerous in attack for a defensive midfield player also. One of the best midfielders to have played in the A-League in my opinion.

Edited by Captain Obvious

Video of the press conference with Paartalu: http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/video/melbourne-city-fc-signs-erik-paartalu/983460

And video of JVS on the signing of Paartalu and the squad as it now stands: http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/video/john-van-t-schip-on-new-signing-eric-paartalu/983476

Edited by Murfy1