Melbourne Football

Science 'n' Shit

Dylan

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Dylan said:

I could watch space and physics documentaries all day. Really puts in perspective how insignificant humans are which I find comforting. 

A good easy to watch docu-series is "Through the Wormhole". It covers a whole range of things and doesn't really push any theories as being correct, rather it just details the leading theories in certain areas.

It is also narrated by the person who narrates everything....Morgan Freeman

On 17/01/2016 at 3:50 PM, malloy said:

A good easy to watch docu-series is "Through the Wormhole". It covers a whole range of things and doesn't really push any theories as being correct, rather it just details the leading theories in certain areas.

It is also narrated by the person who narrates everything....Morgan Freeman

Yeah those are pretty good. The ones that Brian Greene host are good too. Although I think he mainly hosts the ones on string theory

On 15/07/2015 at 3:07 AM, Jun said:

Like when Sci-Fi regularly portrays space-faring humans as benevolent. Bullshit, we're going to be the boogiemen of the galaxy.

Too late

http://www.sciencealert.com/aliens-are-silent-because-they-re-dead-say-experts

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Dylan said:

China just broke their record :P

Cheeky bastards! Probably did it months ago but just waited until Germany did it to release it just to one-up them. Can only see two countries racing to better one another as a good thing tbh. Means we might start seeing some real progress sooner than we thought!

On 2/4/2016 at 9:18 AM, GreenSeater said:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/nuclear-fusion-greifswald-1.3431541 pretty awesome day for science yesterday. Small beginnings, but quite possibly the start of something huge for humanity

20 years ago I'd have agreed 100%.  Now I wonder.  Centralised powered production transmitted to a grid is starting to look a bit "old hat".  there is a lot of on site generation now, who knows what the centralised demand will be by the time this advance is realised.

4 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

20 years ago I'd have agreed 100%.  Now I wonder.  Centralised powered production transmitted to a grid is starting to look a bit "old hat".  there is a lot of on site generation now, who knows what the centralised demand will be by the time this advance is realised.

Yeah I tend to agree. Photovoltaic efficiency and energy storage will probably be very very advanced by the time fusion comes around

http://m.phys.org/news/2016-02-gravitational-years-einstein.html absolutely massive moment in scientific history. This could entirely change the way we study the universe. Pretty incredible that Einstein predicted this exactly 100 years ago. Enormous discovery.

Also on an unrelated note, today is Charles Darwin's 207th birthday

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
2 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-telescope-reveals-largest-batch-of-earth-size-habitable-zone-planets-around

Usually NASA's "big announcements" aren't hugely interesting, however this is absolutely massive!

Saddest part is we will all be dead long before anything comes of it 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...