Melbourne Football

Melbourne City vs Adelaide United - Tuesday 16 September, Adelaide

Murfy1

I actually see the biggest concerns being Koren and Duff not yet appearing to make a big impact.

Duff has been here longer and seems to miss quite a few goals. This is not the end of the world, but one would hope he can start delivering soon.

Koren was later getting into the club and may take a bit more time to get into the flow of it.

Looking at AU's team and their overall squad, it's scary to think just how many threats there are for them. Their injury list is concerning though.

When we get few injuries, we will have to relay on similar lineup. Not preferred but it could be necessary.

Adelaide have few injuries already and their team was nowhere near full strength either.

We sing up decent players yet our results do not reflect anything positive

One has to start looking at the coaching stuff if this continues into the season.

I said it before, this game should have been about confidence.. We have now lost all pre-season games against A-league opposition.

I didn't see the game but if it's true that Koren and Duff had little impact then that has to be unacceptable. These are professional players that have played at the highest level.

What worries me is that JVS will have all the excuses about the pre-season and everyone including players will say how these games are not important.

If we lose in Rd.1 everyone will look at our pre-season form including the FFA cup lose and see we have no momentum building before the season.

I hope we have a magic switch that we can flick on. I'm starting to wonder about JVS

Ive tried to stay positive about JVS but I cant be bothered anymore. The only thing I find solice in, is that when JVS goes belly up there will be no hesitation from CFG to find a replacement. 

Did JVS even make substitutes today?

Edited by Dylan

Didn't see the game but it was hardly our best lineup. It does show that we are still lacking quality depth, and that RB, LB, goalkeeper and striker positions are still problems. Every HAL team we have played has targeted Ramsay and will continue to do so if we are restricted in that position and even a hamstrung Adelaide team can easily beat us. All we need now is to lose to Perth and it'll be yet another complete preseason without a meaningful win.

Not the result we were wanting, for sure it's disappointing. How much significance this has for the up coming season, especially on the confidence of the players, I'm not really sure. It might be that all these preseason results have no relevance to what happens next month, or it might. I don't think anyone can say for sure. Definitely understand everyone being pissed off at the results so far but I'll save judgment on jvs and on the team when the games that we play are of any actual relevance.

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

If we get something like this on the ground come round 1 I will be then judge us knowing that we can put out no better..

Redders/Tando (both should be at best #2 keepers in a league squad)

Hoff/Germano - Wieelart/chapman - Kisnorbo - Ramsey(not that i want him here but I think he will be)/gooch/king/ Visa

Erik - Mooy

Mate/Williams         -         Koren             -           Duff

Villa (If jesus were to sign prior to season starting chuck jesus up front and move villa to the RW)

Wel it does sound like a disappointing performance and result.

The reason why I say qualkifying for the Finals would be a good season, is that the club has to instill a winning mentality.

It took City around 2 years from our takeover for this to be instilled. This is the biggest hurdle that the club, management, players and fans will have to overcome.

I'm going to continue to take my usual attitude of "you guys are the ones who know the team, I won't comment on the players' performance at present". However I've got to say that the results against equal opposition do seem now to be more than just bad luck. While I'm similarly disappointed that there is no talk of Koren or Duff standing out I do wonder how long until the spotlight starts pointing on JVS. That said, my experience of City (the Manchester one) suggests that I don't think CFG will pull the trigger lightly. People make a lot of Hughes and Mancini's sackings but so far CFG have only sacked two managers in six years, one of whom was not their choice and who they still gave 18 months to, and the other fell out with so many people at the club first that he practically couldn't even talk to the tea ladies. Of course I'd like to see Melbourne City do well but experience suggests to me that CFG will give JVS at least half a season regardless of results in order to show what he can do with the resources he now has before getting twitchy.

That said, I'm also incredibly good at predicting the wrong outcome when it comes to speculating on 50-50 decisions, so I wouldn't be be surprised if he was gone by the end of the week, now...

Edited by Falastur

I really hope when the season starts Falastur then Melbourne will click into gear and get off to a good start.

However, the pre-season results against the A League sides are not good, and although you don't get prizes for these games, it is worrying.

This is the reason why I think it is amazing they were made favourites for the title.

There is a lot to be said for a winning mentality and that doesn't come overnight.

Edited by silva10

Holly fuck. This pre season is like last pre season.
I say it again, we need a striker.

I find very hard to believe that our also recruiters do not need know the importance of Striker... which is why I am 99% certain that Kennedy is coming.

Ive tried to stay positive about JVS but I cant be bothered anymore. The only thing I find solice in, is that when JVS goes belly up there will be no hesitation from CFG to find a replacement. 

Did JVS even make substitutes today?

Welcome to the darkside...

• Like 2

I fail to believe in course of a week we went from a team that can dominate a game like we did against the CCM last week,

to a team that is crap with no hope.

As there was no stream or feed or TV, i'm not sure how anyone can judge based on social media posts

The glass is still half full (for me) 

People are just sick of five years of abysmal pre-season form that generally foreshadows abysmal in-season form. JVS in three pre-seasons has not won a single game against A-League opposition. 

And to say "it's just pre-season- it doesn't mean anything" is actually a big mistake. Sure if it was one bad pre-season... but the fact is these games are practice matches for every team and so to not win any in five years is kind of ridiculous. 

• Like 3