Melbourne Football

SFC VS MCFC - Round 1

Ruckoo

Didn't we lose against Wellington when they had 8 players on NT duty.

We drew with them, I think.

Sydney were heavily depleted in FFA cup in Ballarat and that finished 1-1 after 90 mins.

To be fair, I don't think that we're specifically shit against depleted teams. We're just shit in general.

heavily depleted is a bit of an exaggeration. They had no janko, smeltz and brosque but the rest were available. Ibini is pretty handy to lead the line and gameiro and naumoff have had good pre-seasons as well.

Well, here we are after five months or so, at last looking at an A-League match. The more I look at the ten clubs the more I realise that the league is definitely getting stronger with every season. What are our expectations and hopes for this one?

JvS looks to have some continuing selection issues to deal with, as follows:

GK, where neither Redmayne nor Velaphi inspire me with any confidence - I"m expecting Redmayne to get the nod.

RB, the contenders seemingly being Hoffman and Archibald. I would honestly prefer the latter, but I expect a conservative JvS to go with Hoffman.

LB, oh dear, what a mess this is. Nothing yet on whether we have actually signed Tom King, and in the absence of any news on the position it would look like Ramsay.

Striker, the questions being whether Villa will even be here, and if he is, will we risk him? JvS was very cautious with Koren, I can't imagine Kreis thanking him if Villa is rushed into the side before he is fully fit, so I'm undecided. Either going to be Villa or Williams.

Other than the above, I'd expect to see Kisnorbo and Wielaert at CB, Paartalu, Mooy and Koren in midfield, and Duff on the left. I don't know that Dugandzic has done enough to cement a place, but he's a JvS favourite so I expect to see him on the right.

IMO if we have weaknesses they're in defence, and we are going to have to turn chances into goals if we're to get points. Particularly if we come out of the blocks in typical Heart fashion.

Would be very happy to see us come home with a point.

Well, here we are after five months or so, at last looking at an A-League match. The more I look at the ten clubs the more I realise that the league is definitely getting stronger with every season. What are our expectations and hopes for this one?

GK, where neither Redmayne nor Velaphi inspire me with any confidence - I"m expecting Redmayne to get the nod.

RB, the contenders seemingly being Hoffman and Archibald. I would honestly prefer the latter, but I expect a conservative JvS to go with Hoffman.

LB, oh dear, what a mess this is. Nothing yet on whether we have actually signed Tom King, and in the absence of any news on the position it would look like Ramsay.

Striker, the questions being whether Villa will even be here, and if he is, will we risk him? JvS was very cautious with Koren, I can't imagine Kreis thanking him if Villa is rushed into the side before he is fully fit, so I'm undecided. Either going to be Villa or Williams.

Other than the above, I'd expect to see Kisnorbo and Wielaert at CB, Paartalu, Mooy and Koren in midfield, and Duff on the left. I don't know that Dugandzic has done enough to cement a place, but he's a JvS favourite so I expect to see him on the right.

IMO if we have weaknesses they're in defence, and we are going to have to turn chances into goals if we're to get points. Particularly if we come out of the blocks in typical Heart fashion.

Understand Villa is fit. If he arrives this week he will play against Sydney. Most likely will start and be substituted in the second half. Villa is a world class player. The a league is a competition that you would class as the victorian premier league compared to the mls, so it is a pre season game to him. I'll eat my hat if I'm wrong but I reckon his ready roll.

However there is definitely a glaring issue at striker position. Williams is someone who has the potential to be great but I just can't see him stepping up as yet to drive us to top two by scoring on a regular basis or even being dangerous week in week out. Who knows when Kennedy will come or whether he is coming.

You've made a lot of valid points, things that could very well cause problems for how well we do this season. But I'd like to go through and point out a few things.

Firstly the issue with goal keeper, we had Redmayne contracted for another season and Velaphi not contracted. So basically the question was do we get rid of Velaphi and find someone else or keep him? We don't know the situation with the cap so hard to say whether we should have got rid of him and bought an even more expensive keeper than Redmayne. Maybe doing so would have made it more difficult to sign players in other positions. Keeping Velaphi allows us to keep him the following season while signing a better keeper when Redmayne goes.

Right back position while not our strongest position is far from a weakness, with Hoffman being very reliable and Archibald or germano if needs be moving into that position.

Left back position is still a problem but talk over this defensive visa player has gone very quiet so not sure what's going on there. The thing is though is we can see this problem there is no doubt that three coaches plus staff at city would see it as well.

Regarding striker I think both villa and Williams will be played (not together). There's no doubt villa will be looked after and that's fair enough. As a club you would be silly not to protect a player like that.

I seriously don't think duga is a problem, especially taking into consideration he came back from injury and his game was definitely crushed with aloisis negative football. He was one of our most dangerous forwards when jvs came back and with villa and duff up front they will be a lethal combination.

I agree we do have weaknesses in defence but I also have no doubt that jvs is aware of this. On game day with three points in the balance I don't see why we can't come away with all three points.

Edited by n i k o

I seriously don't think duga is a problem, especially taking into consideration he came back from injury and his game was definitely crushed with aloisis negative football. He was one of our most dangerous forwards when jvs came back and with villa and duff up front they will be a lethal combination.

I agree, I think Mate's due for a big season.

• Like 1

Where do we expect Germao to feature in this team? RB or just going to become an impact sub either into D or midfield?

My understanding is that Germano is used only to test the various treatment techniques and equipment available to the club's injury management personnel.

Germano is the centrepiece of their productivity claim for more pay i believe.

On Villa, I would prefer Williams as starting striker for 60-70 minutes and then ease Villa into it for the last section. Game would probably benefit at the end with the injection of class.

Yeah, I would prefer we try our hardest to lose the match as well... :rolleyes:

I presume you mean starting Williams will lose the match?

On Villa, I would prefer Williams as starting striker for 60-70 minutes and then ease Villa into it for the last section. Game would probably benefit at the end with the injection of class.

I can't see any reason why you would have one of the world's top players on your books, even if for a limited time, and then sit him on the bench for two-thirds of the match.

Surely you would start him every time? OK, maybe if you are 4-0 up with 20 minutes to go you would sub him off, but to keep him on the bench just makes no sense at all.

• Like 1

If fit, why not have Germano at LB.

He was originally signed to replace Aziz when he came to club in the first place. Id prefer him than Ramsey.

Fuck i'd even rather Ticker at LB besides Ramsey.

• Like 1

Nah... What do you think?

David Villa with two broken legs coming down of a 48 year cocaine binge is still going to be a better asset on the field than David "Sky High" Williams.

Edited by cadete

Melbourne City’s Connor Chapman on verge of return, Victory’s defensive headache for round one

DAVID DAVUTOVIC

SEPTEMBER 29, 2014

YOUNG Melbourne City defender Connor Chapman is on the verge of returning from glandular fever, though he’s unlikely to be considered for selection until November.

Cross-town rival Melbourne Victory will lose Scott Galloway, Dylan Murnane and Jordan Brown for Round 1, with the talented trio set to be called up for the Young Socceroos’ World Cup qualifiers.

It means new signing Daniel­ Georgievski is set to be handed an early chance, with Jason Geria the only recognised full back available.

It will be a maiden national youth team call-up for Murnane­, 19, who impressed at left back last season when Adama Traore was absent.

City is likely to lose attackers Stefan Mauk and Marc Marino for the Asian U19 Championships, which double as FIFA U20 World Cup ­qualifiers. The squad will be named this week.

Mark Milligan (Socceroos duty) will join the teen trio as absentees for the opening-round game against Western Sydney at Etihad Stadium.

It’s offset by the Wanderers’ Socceroos selections of striker Tomi Juric and defender Nikolai Topor-Stanley, while defender Daniel Alessi and attacker Jaushua Sotirio are expected to be picked for Paul Okon’s Young Socceroos.

Victory’s Nick Ansell (foot) remains a month away from returning.

City’s Ben Garuccio (ankle), Jonatan Germano (calf) and Jason Hoffman (suspended) will all miss the opening round.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-citys-connor-chapman-on-verge-of-return-victorys-defensive-headache-for-round-one/story-fnk6rlg0-1227074374110

City’s Ben Garuccio (ankle), Jonatan Germano (calf) and Jason Hoffman (suspended) will all miss the opening round.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-citys-connor-chapman-on-verge-of-return-victorys-defensive-headache-for-round-one/story-fnk6rlg0-1227074374110

Jonaton Germano with a calf injury! This is the same injury that he's had his whole time here

A lot of people on here are selling the A-League short.. Let me just say the MLS is a much weaker competition than the A-League. Dumb players on big wages, and tactically inferior... If anyone saw the LA Galaxy vs N.Y Red Bull game today you would have seen our very own Timmy Cahill playing as a defensive mid-fielder ... Lol yeah!!! a defensive mid-fielder..

If Villa comes here and underestimate the league he will join the A list of players to do so... Super Mario (Brazilian) Newcastle jets, Romario, 1 goal in 10games and I think it was an own goal. Juninio Sydney FC does anyone remember him?? Pablo Contreras Victory defender... Good god how bad was he??? Robbie Fowler he was my favourite... If I'm missing anyone it's because they were that good I can't remember them...

If Villa is to make any impact on our league and our club he will need to be at the top of his game...

Jonaton Germano with a calf injury! This is the same injury that he's had his whole time here

That's good, he should be available in 3 weeks then.

• Like 2