Melbourne Football

Australia @ 2015 Asian Cup

Tesla

Seems to me like this is shaping up to be a big season for our players overseas, not to mention the A-League quality is always increasing. Looks like the Socceroos squad will be looking good by the time this tournament starts.

Some key positive developments between last season and this season:

Brillante moved to Fiorentina and started their first league game (struggled and was substituted in the first half though). Is this the first Australian player to go from the A-League straight into the starting line up of a top tier European league?

Jason Davidson moved to WBA, and is starting games.

Ryan Edwards returned to Reading and is getting game time.

Adam Federici is playing again at Reading (pretty sure he wasn't playing for a while?).

Adam Taggart has signed for Fulham and looks like he will get game time.

Ryan Williams returned to Fulham and looks like he will get game time.

Cameron Burgess started getting games for Fulham and is eligible to play for Australia.

Brad Smith has decided to play for Australia and joined Swindon where he is starting.

Trent Sainsbury back from injury and playing for PEC Zwolle

Luke Wilkshire move to Feyenoord and is starting.

Eli Babalj knocking on the door for AZ Alkmaar.

Mat Ryan will now get to test himself in the Europa League.

James Troisi signed for Zulte Waregem in Belgium and I imagine he will play regularly.

Ivan Franjic moved to Torpedo Moscow and it looks like he'll be playing regularly there.

Edited by Tesla

Anyone know the progression of Rhys Williams who plays for Middlesborough and James Meredith from Bradford City?

From what I read on James, he is keen to not extend his contract with Bradford and join up with a championship club, where a few in that league want him but were not named

Also any info on Robbie Kruse?

Edited by Young Polak

Cameron Burgess has been given FIFA clearance to play for Australia.

All these dual Australia + Scotland/Wales/Ireland guys always choose Australia, can't blame them TBH, pretty much guaranteed WC qualification and Asian Cup contenders, best you'd get playing for the others is qualifying for a WC or Euro once or twice in your career.

The imminent Asian Cup would have made his decision easier and quicker as well. No doubt it was a factor for Brad Smith, whose options would have been to either wait around for a few years and see if his development gets him anywhere near the England NT and then go with Australia if he isn't a chance, or go to an Asian Cup right now (very good chance of getting into the squad) and potentially collect a title.

Would be a different story if we were still in the OFC. Also have to give Ange credit for wanting to give the young guys a chance.

The squad starting to get very Anglo :hmm:

Edited by Tesla

Pretty dire performance so far against Saudi Arabia, Langerak should be off after that penalty. Luongo, Wright and Cahill the only ones who can hold their heads high.

The biggest issue still seems to be the dual holding midfielders, Jedinak is key but needs a good passer beside him who is willing to come deep and recieve the ball. Luke Brattan would be my choice, can pass, tackle and has a great shot from distances and works as hard as anyone. Jedinak has been trying to build plays and it's not his game, leading to turnovers galore.

Langerak is clearly not the sharpest tool in the shed, legitimately thinks he'll be the Dortmund #1 if he waits around long enough :droy:

Hardly surprising his decision making and judgement suck.

Some experience might solve that, but he ain't getting any sitting on the bench every week. He has played fuck all senior professional games for a player of his age, go get some playing experience ffs.

Edited by Tesla

We're going to win this tournament by the length of the Flemington straight.

Japan have got us covered imo.

We have them covered physically & mentally.

That's all good and well, but they shit all over us in the skills department.

We're definitely getting there but at the moment we don't have anyone in the same vein as a Honda or Kagawa, and I think they have much better positional depth across the whole ground.

Admittedly though, we can match them on any given day and I expect us to do well at the tournament but Japan are deserved favourites.

• Like 1

Jedinak will probably have broken both Kagawa and Honda's legs after 15 minutes. A team like Australia will always have a chance against a team like Japan as for all their technical proficiency they are soft as butter at the back. Would put money on Cahill to score with his head more often than not against Japan.

• Like 2

Jedinak will probably have broken both Kagawa and Honda's legs after 15 minutes. A team like Australia will always have a chance against a team like Japan as for all their technical proficiency they are soft as butter at the back. Would put money on Cahill to score with his head more often than not against Japan.

So much this. Based on the matches I watched @ the WC, Iran is more of a threat than Japan.

Edit - $4.25 for Australia. Took it a few weeks ago. Will load up more once we get closer to January.

Edited by MaliMate

Wouldn't back Iran to do much unless Queiroz ends up signing an extension. Remember seeing something about the government intervening with the FA and Quieroz bailing on negotiations as a result. Last i heard they will be coming to the tournament without a manager.

Queroz has re-signed for another four years.

Bugger. I hope the middle eastern teams don't go far in the comp. Their time wasting, diving bullshit is the last thing we need as an advert for the game in this country.

So true.

We basically have opposite cultures in regards to this.  The Aussie fans expect our players to play by the code "don't let them know you're hurt" (though to be fair we do get disappointed at times) where as the middle eastern teams seem to  play to the code "don't let them know you're fit".

Every time one of these clowns rolls around like they've been shot, then lies like they are dead, leaves on a stretcher, only to have a sideline miracle and come back on, we lose fans.

I say sniper on the roof of AAMI.  You roll around like you are shot, well......

• Like 1

Not all middle eastern teams roll around like spuds. Iran, Iraq and Australia are the most physical teams in the Asia Cup this year and neither really act like they got shot during a tackle. 

Iran brings a solid, SOLID defense (probably the best in Asia) and they will go far.

Iraq, like Australia, is in their rebuilding phase with a lot of young 20 - 25 year olds currently dominating their clubs all over Europe.

Iraq will field veteran striker Younis Mahmoud (Asia 2007 final goal) along with a young squad that made the semi-finals of the under 21 world cup - with attacking LB Ali Adnan (Asia Player of the Year) who plays in Turkish Super Lig.

Expect these two middle eastern teams to stomp.

Being an Iraqi-Australian I'm happy to see both squads developing exciting talent. Should be a nice tournament. 

Edit: Good to see Palestine in the tournament. Reminds me of 2007, the year after USA declared the war in Iraq over and the Iraq squad went out and won the cup.

Hoping they can grab a few wins in to put a few smiles on their people's faces - "War could not kill Football"  :up:

Edited by strider

No way either of those teams have enough goals in them to win it IMO. The key to beating those sides is scoring early so they have to leave more spaces in behind as they chase the game. I'd disagree about the Iraqi team not being divers and play actors though. They were horrendous for it in that final wcq game in Sydney that Kennedy scored the winner in. Their fans were great though.

Not to say they don't have good players I'd just personally rather see the more free flowing football that you'll get from the likes of Aus, Korea and Japan in the later stages of the tournament Asian football will never move forward until more teams attempt to play football the right way instead negative defensive tactics being the norm.

No way either of those teams have enough goals in them to win it IMO. The key to beating those sides is scoring early so they have to leave more spaces in behind as they chase the game. I'd disagree about the Iraqi team not being divers and play actors though. They were horrendous for it in that final wcq game in Sydney that Kennedy scored the winner in. Their fans were great though.

Not to say they don't have good players I'd just personally rather see the more free flowing football that you'll get from the likes of Aus, Korea and Japan in the later stages of the tournament Asian football will never move forward until more teams attempt to play football the right way instead negative defensive tactics being the norm.

Iraq just beat Japan a few days ago 3-1 for the Asian Games... lol

Many Middle Eastern teams rely on pacey counter-attack and set pieces for their goals especially against more tactical Asian teams.

Asian teams can't deal with physicality and height too well. 

Would not be surprised at all if the winner is a Middle Eastern team. 

Teams like Saudia Arabia and Iran have the all-round quality to dominate and are proven when it comes to the Asia Cup. 

Edited by strider

Under 23 football isn't really a good judge of how a national team will go though to be fair. Ali Adnan sounds a prospect though.

Is the frustrating thing watching Middle Eastern teams you can see a lot of their players are ok on the ball but yet they pack the defence and just try hit the wings with long balls.

Yeah I agree, they tend to love soaking up pressure in defense then hoofing long balls for a counter / one man run.

They're not very technically skilled (well most of them are not) which is why they rely more-so on their power, pace and physicality - just like we saw with Iran in the WC.

Watching Iran and their ultra defensive tactics at the World Cup was fascinating, they could potentially be a big threat.

I so hope not. My Iranian mate at work will be unbearable if they win AND I already have to put up with the bloody German and his world cup poster etc. Consider yourself lucky. Muppets at my work look at my heart coffee mug and keep asking what's that?

Afl is the only language they speak.

Retards! Can't wait for their shit to end this weekend

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palestine_national_football_team

It's about sport, not politics.

And, BTW, it's not "racist" to talk about a people, a State, a Territory, a community, a culture, etc. etc. Political correctness is stifling discussion and debate in this country (and many others).

It becomes racist when you tell them to fukoff home

It's a FIFA member, you don't need to be a country to be a FIFA member. I think you just need your own governing body.

There's plenty examples of these, Peurto Rico, Guam and American Samoa are a all US territories with National teams. Chinese Taipai and Hong Kong have national teams too even though they are part of China, according to the UN atleast.

It's a FIFA member, you don't need to be a country to be a FIFA member. I think you just need your own governing body.

There's plenty examples of these, Peurto Rico, Guam and American Samoa are a all US territories with National teams. Chinese Taipai and Hong Kong have national teams too even though they are part of China, according to the UN atleast.

Actually, I think you do. FIFA have refused membership on the grounds of not being a recognised country (by the UN) many times (eg Kosovo).

I think the situation with Palestine is they are a recognised country with no land, or something along those lines.

As for your other examples, they are recognised non self governing territories, you could argue those are countries too, just not fully self governing. Well except for Chinese Taipai, which is an even more complicated matter.

The only real exceptions that I know of are England, Scotland, Wales, North Ireland. They have a special status related to modern football being invented in the UK.

Edited by Tesla