Murfy1

Paulo Retre

237 posts in this topic

Dont jump the gun here.

Once Chapman returns,  Kew / Baharudin will become RB.

Then both Retre and Hoff will be gone. 

Played some good games against a shit Newcastle and a depleted Brisbane, sign him up for ten years.

Has always been shit, just been lucky jailens and kisnorbo have been so good.

He has done a job for us in a position that we had no one else to start because of Saf being away with Singapore.

1 person likes this

Was really exposed tonight. Hopefully that ends this idiotic experiment.

Play Germano if Baharudin is out. Simple.

After tonight's game I now feel that Retre is not worth pursuing with. The throw in went to WSW players, lost the ball, unable to read the play or position himself. Is he better than Hoffman? That is a question for people who are pedantic. There are some things that by now should be bread and butter but he has been unable to deliver the basics against a better quality side. The A-League is a step too far for Retre.

1 person likes this

After tonight's game I now feel that Retre is not worth pursuing with. The throw in went to WSW players, lost the ball, unable to read the play or position himself. Is he better than Hoffman? That is a question for people who are pedantic. There are some things that by now should be bread and butter but he has been unable to deliver the basics against a better quality side. The A-League is a step too far for Retre.

I would give him another year myself.

He has shown some effort in the last few games and is still young.

We have players like Koren and Paartalu who have done nothing in the last few games. 

He's not a right back. He's not better than Paartalu even an out of form Paartalu. Being young is irrelevant.

Gotta go.

1 person likes this

Give him a break. He's only there because it's a choice between him and Hoffman; there's no-one else when Safuwan is away.

1 person likes this

Give him a break. He's only there because it's a choice between him and Hoffman; there's no-one else when Safuwan is away.

And while Jaliens is covering for Chapman

Germano.

To be fair, he's ok. Don't think any fullback in the league can keep up with Ruka

horribly exposed last night

my blind granny has better positional sense than him

caught out of position on so many occasions

3 people like this

I like what I've seen of Paulo so far.  

Well given the forum "theme" at the moment seems to be reminding everyone of every arsey prediction you've ever made, I thought i should join in.  

I thought Paulo was great last night.  I'm hoping for a break out season from the young man.  Great work to start the counter attack movement that led to Mauk missing a tap in (including a nutmeg of Toure, not something that happens very often). 

4 people like this

If his career highlight was that nutmeg on Yaya then I would say he could still carve out a pretty useful career.

Can someone make a GIF of that Nutmeg on Yaya?

Can someone make a GIF of that Nutmeg on Yaya?

Check the Melbourne City twitter feed, they already did

Nutty aside, Retre looked really, really good last night. Composed on the ball, positioning was good and offered a lot going forward whilst being versatile enough to switch from right back into the midfield during the game and be effective in doing so.

Will be a very useful asset at right back when Franjic gets called up for internationals or is pushed up to the wing.

The first time I saw him I thought he had an awful game. Went back to the NYL, and then came back in at RB

From then I believe he has improved and now I would like to see him given some time in midfield. He has good energy, is mobile and has a great work rate.

The new and improved Hoffman.

Will be useful as a utility. People will jump straight onto his back when he has a couple of poor games.

Will be useful as a utility. People will jump straight onto his back when he has a poor game.

Fixed!

Will be useful as a utility. People will jump straight onto his back when he has a couple of poor games.

More likely once he returns to the NYL side due the influx of our new more senior signings PPL will jump on his back as new Walkerist Claimant to the Youth Throne considering Mauk's performance in front of goal.

Where's Mauk Retre? etc etc

NOTE: Not that I dont think he has improved as a player or did not play well on the weekend.

He is too slow to play as an overlapping full back.

As a DM he might be OK.

1 person likes this

Named in the 442 team of the week. The only city player to get that honour.

Paulo Retre (Melbourne City) at right wingback: Composed and skilful. A real modern day right-back is Retre, who is versatile enough to play other positions.
Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/league-team-week-round-one#mgKMIiFi22dcw758.99

Edited by Shahanga
add the "citation" & link
1 person likes this

In all honestly, it might be a stupid idea, but Retre is in such good form... and apparently to Fox Sports Novillo will be out for 6 weeks, what if when Franjic comes back, keep Retre RB, move Franjic RW, Gamerio LW and Fornaroli ST?

1 person likes this

In all honestly, it might be a stupid idea, but Retre is in such good form... and apparently to Fox Sports Novillo will be out for 6 weeks, what if when Franjic comes back, keep Retre RB, move Franjic RW, Gamerio LW and Fornaroli ST?

I touted this pre-season, Franjic played as a right winger at Brisbane and arguably performed better there than he did at right back. As his recent Socceroos performances have demonstrated, he doesn't possess the greatest defending skills but is dangerous the further he moves up the park.

Plus I really like Retre and how well he's re-established himself after a pretty crappy start

1 person likes this

Like the idea in theory but doubt it will happen. Hamstringing Franjic's Socceroos aspirations wouldn't be a good move for the club when it comes to recruiting future players

Edited by bt50
1 person likes this

Yeah I'll admit I thought of Retre as a "nothing" player when he played a few games for us early on. Thought he doesn't offer much but he seems to have improved particularly with the ball. Seems more composed and is the furthest from being a liability even at RB.

I'm sure that nutmeg on Yaya gave him plenty of confidence.

2 people like this

IF anyone actually knows a thing about football... he was to blame for the last minute chance for blackwood... watch it back he gets sucked into the middle of the park and allows acres of space in behind on the Sydney LW...

Too slow to be an overlapping fullback, not composed enough to play in the centre of the park as a DM. Has proven himself enough to be back up RB to Franjic when performing as a stay at home RB. No way he should go near DM as he was a disaster there and already have trifiro clogging up the shit squaddie MF position that Murdocca used to fill.

1 person likes this

IF anyone actually knows a thing about football... he was to blame for the last minute chance for blackwood... watch it back he gets sucked into the middle of the park and allows acres of space in behind on the Sydney LW...

Well franjic does that on the reg 

Well franjic does that on the reg 

Yes we all know Franjic can't defend but he is deadly going forward. Retre offers little in that regard.

1 person likes this

That's the risk of the system we play. Those FBs are told to tuck in closer to the CBs when that ball comes from the other side.

Clisby's football ability in general is very suspect

FTFY

5 people like this

I've been saying Clisby is shit from the first game he played for us. 

1 person likes this

I've been saying Clisby is shit from the first game he played for us. 

I doubt he'll be re-signed at the end of this season. Richardson is a much superior player.