Melbourne Football

Paulo Retre

Murfy1

I'll miss him. An honest player not blessed with talent, but certainly never embarrassed himself. Most notably, he actually seemed like an affable and likeable guy. On the flip side, I don't really think he had a future with us, so this is probably the best outcome for both parties.

I'll cheer for him if he ever returns to AAMI. Personally I hope he goes somewhere like Newcastle or Central Coast and establishes himself as a 100-game-player there.

Good luck to him and wish him well, he served well and loyally  - was always committed to the cause.

IMO he was always a squaddie, and Retre's leaving allows the club to reshape the direction of the team and supporting players. You don't build your team around your squaddies, so good move

Edited by mattyh001

another dumb loss

23 hours ago, The Aardvark said:

I think he'll go on to have a typical A-League squaddie style career, notching up over 100 games as he moves from club to club. Will never be a star but should be able to establish himself as a regular starter for a few seasons.

it's the AL. retre is good enough to hold down a RB or CDM role.  he just needs to be given a consistent run.

Thought he was very serviceable as a fullback apart from lacking an extra yard of pace to be able to keep up with the really quick wingers. Given that he is nominally a number 6 he did well there and was more than serviceable when given the opportunity in midfield. . 

But if he couldn't get much of a run when Rose, Franjic and Muscat were generally playing like useless pricks at full back this season then it is no surprise he could read the writing on the wall and is looking elsewhere.

Good luck to him. Always gave his best for us so hope he does well elsewhere.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jeffplz said:

Joe Palatsides (our youth manager) used to play with Paulo's dad, Carlos Retre, in Footscray JUST (aka Melbourne City JUST)

Retre was a fringe player at JUST and played maybe half a dozen games but was a very exciting attacking midfielder. When Joe Palatsides and Mehmet Durakovic came across from Juventus that was the last days of JUST infact that season that Retre and Palatsides played (1989) JUST was relegated. JUST was a foundation side of the NSL but after relegation dropped down the state Leagues and then folded*.

(Folded) Was taken over by an Argentinian based group that are the current core today. 

IMO we'll regret losing Retre. Arnold sees him as a useful signing for a title defence and for the ACL and we're prepared to let him go - concerns me a bit. I know it's early days (or is it?) but we seem to be pinning a lot of the Forum's hopes for next season on signings that haven't happened yet

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

IMO we'll regret losing Retre. Arnold sees him as a useful signing for a title defence and for the ACL and we're prepared to let him go - concerns me a bit. I know it's early days (or is it?) but we seem to be pinning a lot of the Forum's hopes for next season on signings that haven't happened yet

I think we would have been quite comfortable in keeping Retre, but when a player that isnt getting much opportunity wants to leave, its in the clubs best interest to let them leave rather than creating bad blood imo. It makes it a) easier to get a player back when the time is right and b ) easier to recruit other players when they dont think you are going to screw them over a career move at some point in the future.

And lets be honest, only a serious injury crisis would see him break into anything other than a bit part player whereas at Sydney he'll get opportunity due to ACL and squad rotation.

As for signings that havent happened yet, sure they might not have, but the positions 100% will be filled. There is zero chance of the club not filling its marquee and visa spots, and the sides that are being posted are speculative and realistic anyway, not pie in the sky type stuff. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Great move for Paulo but it really hurts to see one of our boys at Scum FC.

i reckon he will do well there and surprise a few on this forum 

Agree. Under a good coach I have no doubt he will do very well. He is another example of JVS's failings.

Good luck to him.

2 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Agree. Under a good coach I have no doubt he will do very well. He is another example of JVS's failings.

Good luck to him.

That's not true. He was downright woeful until the last 2 seasons. Can't expect much from a very very average player. 

• Like 3

On 2017-6-22 at 10:18 PM, Shahanga said:

Great move for Paulo but it really hurts to see one of our boys at Scum FC.

i reckon he will do well there and surprise a few on this forum 

Lesser of two evils IMO.  Retre was a player who developed into a decent squaddie, but was never going to be a week in week out starter. Letting him go frees up a spot on the roster / squad list.

30 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

Lesser of two evils IMO.  Retre was a player who developed into a decent squaddie, but was never going to be a week in week out starter. Letting him go frees up a spot on the roster / squad list.

Maybe, but we've gone through this argument plenty of times. There is a certain thing called a salary cap, and we have to replace Paulo with a better Australian player but on no higher wages for us to be ahead. I'd like to know who that better Australian player is. People seem to be confident that we have all our signings - Australian and visa - organised and it's just a matter of announcing them, but I'm not so sure now that training has recommenced.

Edited by jw1739

36 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Maybe, but we've gone through this argument plenty of times. There is a certain thing called a salary cap, and we have to replace Paulo with a better Australian player but on no higher wages for us to be ahead. I'd like to know who that better Australian player is. People seem to be confident that we have all our signings - Australian and visa - organised and it's just a matter of announcing them, but I'm not so sure now that training has recommenced.

I think most were leaning towards a young player being able to fill that position, So they actually be even cheaper whilst not sacrificing much quality wise 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Not what i was saying.  More than anything, if we are to improve on last season we have to find a way of getting a reasonable increase in playing ability across the board.  Of which, evaluating each of the mid salary tier squaddies / non starters seems the best way to do so - obviously starting with off contract players and then moving through longer term contracted players as required. If the club has someone lined up then great, but the process must start by creating the space first (both in terms of on squad roster and financially).

I'd imagine with the Retre situation (whereby the player was contracted for next season) the club won't force the player out unless the opportunity arises to move the player on cheap (aka through mutual termination).

This ties in with your salary cap point, and by all means you're right - it's never that simple to release one player and get a big increase (particularly a squaddie like Retre who won't be on min wage but certainly not that big of a salary either). 

The way I see things, it's more about moving several players on at the same time - this gives you a bigger portion of the cap to work with.  And since we still have a few spots to fill, hopefully that gives the club a few options moving forward.  As @Chris p says, using younger developing players on min wage to free up some space would help.

Edited by mattyh001