Melbourne Football

Paulo Retre

Murfy1

15 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

...Clisby ... I know he was a Forum whipping-boy...

Honestly @jw1739 we must have a forum full of football legends here, who are all self proclaimed so much better than the likes of Hoffman, Clisby & Rose who have merely played hundreds of A League games between them and unlike our forumite friends have never played Barcelona, AC Milan or Bayern off the park. 

If only we could get those forumites critics on the pitch, then we would have a team!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Melling has made one WSW match-day squad only for 22 minutes football. IMO started to deteriorate with his knee injury.
Garuccio's career was stalled when JvS tried his "convert winger to full-back" trick on him. Never really recovered.
We chased Clisby at Perth Glory and then dumped him. I know he was a Forum whipping-boy, but IMO he was a perfectly adequate player for us. Hard as nails, and I can't see that either Muscat or Rose are any better as full-backs than Clisby.

friend spoke to a wsw player after the home game v them, about melling he said, "his back is fucked"
we dodged a germano 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Hellenic Hero said:

What are people's thoughts on keeping him? Do we want him or is he not required?

Why do you want to consider dumping him? Perfectly good squad player as far as I am concerned. Can play in a variety of positions as required - e.g. RB and MF, tackles well, passes well, and IMO is a perfectly good substitute to have on the bench. On all the occasions I've seen him he has not let the team down. Every club has to have these players in order to fit under the cap.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Why do you want to consider dumping him? Perfectly good squad player as far as I am concerned. Can play in a variety of positions as required - e.g. RB and MF, tackles well, passes well, and IMO is a perfectly good substitute to have on the bench. On all the occasions I've seen him he has not let the team down. Every club has to have these players in order to fit under the cap.

Where did I say I wanted to get rid of him? Decent player, but I have heard people talk about getting rid of him. I rate him highly fwiw.

1 hour ago, Hellenic Hero said:

What are people's thoughts on keeping him? Do we want him or is he not required?

Good utility type player, not particularly brilliant at anything but quite a good generalist. He reminds me a bit of Broxham. Hasn't had the opportunity to find his feet in our team, but wouldn't mind seeing him get some more minutes especially when our full backs are out of form or we need a bit of hardness in the midfield.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Good utility type player, not particularly brilliant at anything but quite a good generalist. He reminds me a bit of Broxham. Hasn't had the opportunity to find his feet in our team, but wouldn't mind seeing him get some more minutes especially when our full backs are out of form or we need a bit of hardness in the midfield.

Hasn't had the opportunity? 

He has had close to 50 games with 3 different coaches (although thats another discussion ) and has failed to become a starting player. Also he has gone through several transfer cycles and no other club or manager has seen the need to bring him in.

He unfortunately or fortunately depending on your perspective is locked in as a squad player. Now as a squaddie he is everything you need and I personally think he is a valuable part of the squad.

But no opportunity is just not correct. His minutes will depend on other players not him.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jovan said:

He has had close to 50 games with 3 different coaches (although thats another discussion ) and has failed to become a starting player. Also he has gone through several transfer cycles and no other club or manager has seen the need to bring him in.

He unfortunately or fortunately depending on your perspective is locked in as a squad player. Now as a squaddie he is everything you need and I personally think he is a valuable part of the squad.

But no opportunity is just not correct. His minutes will depend on other players not him.

Nailed it. He's nothing special and ideally he wont get a game for us, but he's a perfect 'cheap' option that can provide adequate cover when we get injuries.

12 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Nailed it. He's nothing special and ideally he wont get a game for us, but he's a perfect 'cheap' option that can provide adequate cover when we get injuries.

IMO he's a good prospect for a regular place at RB in the not too distant future. He's just turned 24. We need to bear in mind that Ivan Franjic will be 30 by the time next season starts, and that next season is Franjic's final season on his current contract.

I'm warming to the view that major turnover in our squad every season is not helping build a team.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO he's a good prospect for a regular place at RB in the not too distant future. He's just turned 24. We need to bear in mind that Ivan Franjic will be 30 by the time next season starts, and that next season is Franjic's final season on his current contract.

I'm warming to the view that major turnover in our squad every season is not helping build a team.

Yeh potentially. There's nothing to say he wont improve with an extended run in the side.

Definitely agree on the second point. Keeping most of our squad and adding a competent manager and marquee will leave this team in a very good state imo. The rest of the squad is strong, as most have said all year.

Next season will be Retre's sixth continuous season for us (signed as a youth player before the 2012/13 season) and so a portion of his contract (30 per cent I think) is excluded from the cap, provided they keep the Loyalty Player concession and his seasons as a youth player qualify as 'service to the club'.

Not the only reason we should keep him but a good one to keep in mind. 

Edit: GreenSeater beat me to it in another thread, but only 30 per cent of his contract sits outside the cap, up to a collective $200k.

Edited by Harrison
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jovan said:

My point is he is 24 and getting a bit smarter than he was even in the 2015 season. When he came off the pine he seemed to know what to do and positioned himself better. Hopefully it continues.

I think with more time on the park next season we could see either a better player that really pushes for a starting position or not. What I saw last season he looked to be smarter and made good contributions.

We will see I suppose.

9 minutes ago, playmaker said:

My point is he is 24 and getting a bit smarter than he was even in the 2015 season. When he came off the pine he seemed to know what to do and positioned himself better. Hopefully it continues.

I think with more time on the park next season we could see either a better player that really pushes for a starting position or not. What I saw last season he looked to be smarter and made good contributions.

We will see I suppose.

Basing this on the enormous 318 minutes he played this season?

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

We will see I suppose.

He started 3 or 4 games (can't remember and cbf checking )the rest of the time were last 10 minute jobs. 1 of those games when we debuted a 16 year old. 

His time of cementing a starting position has passed. All he can do is maintain a good work ethic and and do bit jobs when needed. 

Now this is not meant to be disrespectful just stating how I see it. If he gets more time on the park next season we are in big trouble. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jovan said:

He started 3 or 4 games (can't remember and cbf checking )the rest of the time were last 10 minute jobs. 1 of those games when we debuted a 16 year old. 

His time of cementing a starting position has passed. All he can do is maintain a good work ethic and and do bit jobs when needed. 

Now this is not meant to be disrespectful just stating how I see it. If he gets more time on the park next season we are in big trouble. 

That's fair.

I don't think he did much wrong this season, he might fit a nuggety Broxham type role off the bench which is good to have when needed.

Let's be honest,  he sucks. 

It annoys me on this forum "every team needs squaddies,  for what we're paying him it's good" then we complain "this club is complacent,  we never strive for glory"  you can't have it both ways. Complacency starts from the bottom,  every player on the list should be the best possible player /prospect we can get.  Yes I understand he's not going to be the different between us winning silverware or not,  but he's been at the club long enough for us to see he's not going to get any better then what he is now. Why not cut him and bring in a kid on the same wage? At least a kid or another player could show us maybe he could be something.  We all know this guy is shit. I don't see what we'd miss if he was to be let go.  In b4 #yoof

• Like 3

What's quite amazing is that when our starting midfielders were truly out of form, he didn't even get a run. I don't see the point in a squadie if they don't get used when the team is playing like crap.

One of the few games Retre started was the 2-2 with Brisbane which most on here have heralded as one of the most satisfying performances because there was more energy and fight (even with kids) than in previous games.

For me, the club should keep him but I think from his perspective he should try and leave. He's clearly not going to get opportunities at City.

1 minute ago, Tangerine said:

What's quite amazing is that when our starting midfielders were truly out of form, he didn't even get a run. I don't see the point in a squadie if they don't get used when the team is playing like crap.

One of the few games Retre started was the 2-2 with Brisbane which most on here have heralded as one of the most satisfying performances because there was more energy and fight (even with kids) than in previous games.

For me, the club should keep him but I think from his perspective he should try and leave. He's clearly not going to get opportunities at City.

Agree with this. 

He should leave but the club should keep him.

He definitely should have been used more this season. In particular instead of Brattan not sure who is at fault Retre himself for not forcing his selection or coaching staff incompetence  (probably both).

1 minute ago, Jovan said:

Agree with this. 

He definitely should have been used more this season. In particular instead of Brattan not sure who is at fault Retre himself for not forcing his selection or coaching staff incompetence  (probably both).

Would have liked to see him at RB on a few occasions as Franjic struggled in the latter part of the season and probably needed a rest to refresh.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Would have liked to see him at RB on a few occasions as Franjic struggled in the latter part of the season and probably needed a rest to refresh.

If I was to pick I'd play him in midfield before RB. 

But definitely some players got games given rather than earned last season. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Agree with this. 

Retre was in the final match-day squad for 20 of our 28 league matches. (Don't have numbers for the 5 FFA Cup matches). That's hardly a player who's not forcing selection. Anyway, I've said enough on this subject.

IMO we know the answer to "who's at fault?" The coaching staff. The more you dissect the season the more obvious this answer becomes.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Retre was in the final match-day squad for 20 of our 28 league matches. (Don't have numbers for the 5 FFA Cup matches). That's hardly a player who's not forcing selection. Anyway, I've said enough on this subject.

IMO we know the answer to "who's at fault?" The coaching staff. The more you dissect the season the more obvious this answer becomes.

True.

But of those 20 match day squads he got 10 runs with 3 starts.

Agree this particular matter has had a good run.

• 1 month later...

Mutually terminated his contract. 

So must have another club lined up.

Always felt he was never good enough yet every time he played he did his job. Would've liked he took more risks but good luck to him. He is still young enough and if he finds the right club could play at a very high level.

• Like 4