Melbourne Football

Paulo Retre

Murfy1

8 hours ago, Shahanga said:

That bloody slippery fish is our fair dinkum nemesis. Be worth signing the bastard just so he couldn't play against us.

In this instance though I believe he came back from an offside position, before showing us the definition of class.

They don't call him slippery for nothing. 

Similar to Smeltz a few seasons back.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Paulo is becoming an established member of the squad, but I'm not sure he should be brought on as a defender - he's regularly exposed for pace, last night being no exception.

Merrick's no fool. I'd say he brought that speedster on to target Retre. Retre might have been the better footballer (seemed to win the tustles when pace was not involved) but it doesn't matter when you can't catch 'em.

This season I think Retre had been a better midfielder than Melling. I don't think the gaffer agrees though.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Merrick's no fool. I'd say he brought that speedster on to target Retre. Retre might have been the better footballer (seemed to win the tustles when pace was not involved) but it doesn't matter when you can't catch 'em.

This season I think Retre had been a better midfielder than Melling. I don't think the gaffer agrees though.

I agree with you

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 15/11/2015 at 9:58 AM, Tony999 said:

Can't believe people actually rated this guy. He has a couple good games and everyone is jerking over it.

I stand by what l said. Any of those kids that played today is better than him. Shouldn't be even making the bench.

Next.

Edited by Tony999

4 hours ago, Tony999 said:

I stand by what l said. Any of those kids that played today is better than him. Shouldn't be even making the bench.

Next.

Agree. He has gone past the talent status, we expect more - some good tackles on his OWN horrendous passing nothing more and nothing less.

I feel bad for retre. I feel he has a good heart and i want him to do well as he does do some good things in matches but then does make mistakes that can cost us goals. I reckon he should go to central coast or newcastle on loan and get game time so he can improve. He did alright for the youth squad but struggles in the first team

21 minutes ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

I feel bad for retre. I feel he has a good heart and i want him to do well as he does do some good things in matches but then does make mistakes that can cost us goals. I reckon he should go to central coast or newcastle on loan and get game time so he can improve. He did alright for the youth squad but struggles in the first team

No loans allowed in the Aleague

Edited by haz

3 minutes ago, Embee said:

Still think there's a place for a versatile squaddie like Retre in our team, just depends on whether that's the kind of role he's happy to fill.

With players like Genreau and Pierias coming through he's going to get pushed further down the pecking order.

There has to be - he's contracted for another season until 31st May 2018.

Clearly Retre has no friends on here so I'll stand up for him.......

One of the better 'squadies' in the league.  Newcastle, Adelaide, Central Coast, Wellington would love to have him. 

Shouldn't be starting with the list we've got but when the 'first 11' aren't performing (all of 2017) I have no concerns at all with him starting mid or RB.

One of the main criticisms of City this season is they don't play forward, or with pace and have to go out wide to get anywhere. Retre offers an option through the middle every time when he is on. He works hard. Last night we were more direct and had more fight and yet no one seems to see that Retre was an important part of that (Kilkenny bringing the ball out was also very important).

Having said all that Genreau had a fantastic debut and looks very assured on the ball. For me, no danger in throwing either in there when we need a bit of energy and fight.

• Like 1

Retre is an average player technically but there is no doubts of his work ethics. I don't see him as a midfielder. I wouldn't start him ahead of Kilkenny, Malik, Brattan or Caceres. I would start him as a right back instead of Franjic who's performances since his come back have been questionable.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DAM10 said:

Retre is an average player technically but there is no doubts of his work ethics. I don't see him as a midfielder. I wouldn't start him ahead of Kilkenny, Malik, Brattan or Caceres. I would start him as a right back instead of Franjic who's performances since his come back have been questionable.

Franjic's performance has been questionable? He has been one of the better players in the last few rounds while the others have been shit.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Tony999 said:

Franjic's performance has been questionable? He has been one of the better players in the last few rounds while the others have been shit.

That's the beauty of our game ( real football ). We all have an opinion. I disagree with yours. I do agree that maybe he could be the most consistently average performer but only because the rest of the usual starters have been consistently bad. I don't see him as an untouchable. Imo, he's very replaceable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DAM10 said:

That's the beauty of our game ( real football ). We all have an opinion. I disagree with yours. I do agree that maybe he could be the most consistently average performer but only because the rest of the usual starters have been consistently bad. I don't see him as an untouchable. Imo, he's very replaceable.

Agree. Each time I've seen Retre at RB I've been impressed. As you say he's not got the most talent, and he's not fast, but he works hard. Every club needs players like him to meet the cap requirements. Also I completely agree with you on Franjic.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Agree. Each time I've seen Retre at RB I've been impressed. As you say he's not got the most talent, and he's not fast, but he works hard. Every club needs players like him to meet the cap requirements. Also I completely agree with you on Franjic.

I also believe that Retre is still with MC due to bad coaching, management and recruitment decisions for this season. I would have kept Klisby, Garrucio or Melling instead.

34 minutes ago, Blackout said:

Is Melling even getting a game at WSW?

Dont think hes even made a matchday squad tbh

FWIW at the end of last season Retre was clearly the pick of those four tbh, both on form and versatility. Garrucio and Clisby have gone on to have decent seasons at their respective clubs, but their City output was average at best.

Edited by bt50

21 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Dont think hes even made a matchday squad tbh

FWIW at the end of last season Retre was clearly the pick of those four tbh, both on form and versatility. Garrucio and Clisby have gone on to have decent seasons at their respective clubs, but their City output was average at best.

Melling has made one WSW match-day squad only for 22 minutes football. IMO started to deteriorate with his knee injury.
Garuccio's career was stalled when JvS tried his "convert winger to full-back" trick on him. Never really recovered.
We chased Clisby at Perth Glory and then dumped him. I know he was a Forum whipping-boy, but IMO he was a perfectly adequate player for us. Hard as nails, and I can't see that either Muscat or Rose are any better as full-backs than Clisby.

• Like 1