Melbourne Football

Paulo Retre

Murfy1

Yes we all know Franjic can't defend but he is deadly going forward. Retre offers little in that regard.

There is no full back in or from Australia-even the Socceroos, that can do both well enough.  If they could, they would be in Europe playing for quality teams.

Problem is 433 relies on the fullbacks to provide width in attack.  Which means we are trying to fit full backs in to a system they can't play and so are exposed either in defense or can't provide the necessary width.

• Like 1

There is no full back in or from Australia-even the Socceroos, that can do both well enough.  If they could, they would be in Europe playing for quality teams.

Problem is 433 relies on the fullbacks to provide width in attack.  Which means we are trying to fit full backs in to a system they can't play and so are exposed either in defense or can't provide the necessary width.

And that's why rigid adherence to 4-3-3 brings us undone against counter-attacking teams such as Victory who have a lot of pace on the wings. It's the JvS blind spot.

• Like 1

Melbourne City derby win would be sweeter for former Victory old boy Paulo Retre

October 14, 2015

Michael Lynch

When you have been signed for the most successful team in town and your career has failed to take off, there's nothing better than beating them in a derby match when you are turning out for their local rivals.

As utility Paulo Retre, who began his career with Victory but has begun to establish himself with City, knows all too well.

"I definitely want to win as much as anyone in our squad, and probably a little bit more," the 22-year-old said on Wednesday afternoon as he looked forward to starting in the City-Victory derby clash fat Etihad on Saturday evening.

Retre, who played his first football in Melbourne's south-eastern suburbs at Endeavour Hills before moving to Bentleigh Greens and Northcote in what was then the Victorian Premier League, got his shot at the big time with Victory as a youth team player.

He joined the navy blues as an attacking midfield player but failed to make the breakthrough – his best memories being appearances in friendly matches against David Beckham and his LA Galaxy teammates and Greek champions Olympiakos.

Then Melbourne Heart threw him a lifeline and having signed for them two years ago he has begun to build on the promise he showed as a teenager, albeit in a role he might not have expected, right-back.

Retre has been filling in for Socceroo full-back Ivan Franjic, one of City's big name off-season signings out through injury.

Franjic will not be back for some weeks, and although it is unlikely City signed a current international to sit on the bench, Retre is hopeful that he will at least give the coaches some hard decisions when Franjic regains match fitness.

"As a player you want to play and keep your spot, so all I can do is play as well as possible and try to give them a choice," says Retre diplomatically.

He was happy enough to return from Sydney with a point from the opening fixture, and believes City, which has a decent record in derby matches against their often more fancied opponents, is in good shape despite still missing several players.

"I thought it was a good performance in the first half. We did well although they came back into it much more in the second half. But to go away to Sydney and come back with a point from the first game is a good result."

And that game against Beckham. Surely a career highlight so far? 

Not at all, says Retre. "No, the best thing was earlier in the off-season when we played Manchester City and I nutmegged Yaya Toure and went on a long run."

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/soccer-city-derby-win-would-be-all-the-sweeter-for-former-victory-old-boy-retre-20151014-gk8uxk.html

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Tony999 said:

Can't believe people actually rated this guy. He has a couple good games and everyone is jerking over it.

Welcome to football forums, where a player who has 1 bad game is "shit" (a term I would personally never use to describe another human being) & 1 good game and they are some sort of legend football superhero.

The truth is always somewhere in between. The bloke is OK right now, he has potential to improve too, but time will tell if he can realise that potential. Certainly he was never going to be preferred ahead of a fit Franjic, as some were suggesting.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Welcome to football forums, where a player who has 1 bad game is "shit" (a term I would personally never use to describe another human being) & 1 good game and they are some sort of legend football superhero.

The truth is always somewhere in between. The bloke is OK right now, he has potential to improve too, but time will tell if he can realise that potential. Certainly he was never going to be preferred ahead of a fit Franjic, as some were suggesting.

I'd be spectacularly impressed if you could find someone who suggested Retre should be first choice ahead of Franjic.

On 10/12/2015, 9:38:05, Andrew Edmonds said:

In all honestly, it might be a stupid idea, but Retre is in such good form... and apparently to Fox Sports Novillo will be out for 6 weeks, what if when Franjic comes back, keep Retre RB, move Franjic RW, Gamerio LW and Fornaroli ST?

@Tommykins 

From memory, Andrew is not the only one who said it, just the only one in this thread.

Edited by Shahanga

I still standby what I said, besides the exception of a few players, Retre has still probably been one of our better players.. Gameiro has been shocking, and Williams is a better impact sub then anything.. Once Franjic is fully no doubt his attacking capabilities are better than his defensive capabilities I'd like to see him RW and can provide support for Retre.

Also Dekker is not a winger, and Kuzy, yes he's been okay at the start, but now nothing, he's more worried about his step overs then team play, also has become to predictable. 

Edited by Andrew Edmonds

To be honest from where I was sitting Paulo had a decent game Friday- certainly on worse than most of his team mates anyway.

IMO our problems at fullback keep getting blamed on every player who plays there, but tome it's nothing to do with them. The coaching staff are playing a formation that leaves them exposed and that is why all are seen as failing. It's a coaching problem, purely & simply.

38 minutes ago, Andrew Edmonds said:

I still standby what I said, besides the exception of a few players, Retre has still probably been one of our better players.. Gameiro has been shocking, and Williams is a better impact sub then anything.. Once Franjic is fully no doubt his attacking capabilities are better than his defensive capabilities I'd like to see him RW and can provide support for Retre.

Also Dekker is not a winger, and Kuzy, yes he's been okay at the start, but now nothing, he's more worried about his step overs then team play, also has become to predictable. 

It's not a view I share (Franjic when fit is the best rb in the country, so why play him out of position) but Mike Mulvey often played him there, so you are in decent company. Anyway others said Franjic wouldn't get his spotbavk probably on match day threads. Why would I make it up? I don't even agree!

10 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

It's not a view I share (Franjic when fit is the best rb in the country, so why play him out of position) but Mike Mulvey often played him there, so you are in decent company. Anyway others said Franjic wouldn't get his spotbavk probably on match day threads. Why would I make it up? I don't even agree!

I do agree when he's fit he is definitely the best RB in the country, but our formation, with us leaving our full-backs exposed, he'd be able to help out Retre alot more then anyone on the roster.

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

To be honest from where I was sitting Paulo had a decent game Friday- certainly on worse than most of his team mates anyway.

IMO our problems at fullback keep getting blamed on every player who plays there, but tome it's nothing to do with them. The coaching staff are playing a formation that leaves them exposed and that is why all are seen as failing. It's a coaching problem, purely & simply.

I( concur. I made a similar observation elsewhere. The problems are not necessarily the players because once I watched the replay I could see that they were following instructions. Hughes did well for the team because of his experience and was able to read the play better. But across our back line they seem to be playing a system that just wasn't suited. After the watching the replay, I am holding off on a judgement of the players because I got the feeling that they were playing to the game plan that JVS required - and the fact that he could not change it implies some serious problems at the tactical level.

• Like 1

We've been playing this "full-backs sitting high" game almost from the start. But if I'm remembering things properly, Marrone and Behich used to sit further back than our FBs do now. Hoffman used to sit further forward than Marrone, and now my impression is that Retre is even further forward. We leave too much space behind the FB for the opposition to cut in towards goal, and the whole defence is stretched; first has to turn and then chase back to fill the space. IIRC all three of WSW's goals were scored by the final pass going low across goal to the far post for the open goal. Incidentally, I think Sorensen could have done a lot better with those crosses.

Every other coach in the league has worked this out, transitions the ball in 3-4 passes into the space behind the FB and eventually, as we are seeing, the goals will come. Further, the high press requires a high level of stamina to keep up for the whole match. Behich has been our only FB capable of the effort required, and he used to tear his guts out for the shirt. The average player cannot do it, and IMO this is why we concede so many goals late in halves and matches.

That's how I see it.

46 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

We've been playing this "full-backs sitting high" game almost from the start. But if I'm remembering things properly, Marrone and Behich used to sit further back than our FBs do now. Hoffman used to sit further forward than Marrone, and now my impression is that Retre is even further forward. We leave too much space behind the FB for the opposition to cut in towards goal, and the whole defence is stretched; first has to turn and then chase back to fill the space. IIRC all three of WSW's goals were scored by the final pass going low across goal to the far post for the open goal. Incidentally, I think Sorensen could have done a lot better with those crosses.

Every other coach in the league has worked this out, transitions the ball in 3-4 passes into the space behind the FB and eventually, as we are seeing, the goals will come. Further, the high press requires a high level of stamina to keep up for the whole match. Behich has been our only FB capable of the effort required, and he used to tear his guts out for the shirt. The average player cannot do it, and IMO this is why we concede so many goals late in halves and matches.

That's how I see it.

Makes sense. But is it the players or is it the game plan?

12 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Makes sense. But is it the players or is it the game plan?

In part both, but you must cut your coat according to the cloth you have. Therefore it's the game plan. Think in military terms - when defending the citadel, do you put your last line of defenders a mile away from the gates?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

True. But given the extent of the defence injuries I suspect that any other coach would have done the same. The real problem was signing injured players.

I'm not sure of that. Richardson (RB) and Millar (LB) are genuine defenders. They're fit and available - Millar has even scored for us this season. WTF are they on the books for if they don't play when the first choice FBs are "injured"?

• Like 3

On 15/11/2015, 20:18:55, jw1739 said:

That's how I see it.

I don't think it's so much the full backs being "high" as way too narrow, especially when the ball is being brought across form the opposite side of the field. That is okay when the ball is actually on the other side, but once teams bring it across the field, we stay narrow for too long so there is an easy pass to feet out to the wide winger, who has time and space to get it under control and run at the full back. This is a system thing as I have been watching everyone do it for years: Ramsay, Clisby, Garruchio, Retre, etc. Whoever plays there does the same thing, so they are being coached to do this. They just take forever to get across and cover the wide player. I understand the need to not allow the angled ball between the CB and full back but we take it to extremes and make it way too easy to get it to the wide guy. 

• Like 5

On 20/11/2015, 10:22:35, dr lime said:

I thought Retre and Paaartalu didn't look too bad together at defensive midfield... until Paolo lost the ball for their goal. A bit of a shame for him. 

I initially thought that too. But having watched the replay I'm not that harsh on him as I was at first. It took Brisvegas another ~20 touches of the ball, and we had ample opportunity to wrench it from them, before they scored. I think the team failed to defend as they should rather than just one player turning the ball over.

Edited by HEARTinator

10 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

I initially thought that too. But having watched the replay I'm not that harsh on him as I was at first. It took Brisvegas another ~20 touches of the ball, and we had ample opportunity to wrench it from them, before they scored. I think the team failed to defend as they should rather than just one player turning the ball over.

I just think it was a class ball in and finish tbh

• Like 2