Melbourne Football

Paulo Retre

Murfy1

After tonight's game I now feel that Retre is not worth pursuing with. The throw in went to WSW players, lost the ball, unable to read the play or position himself. Is he better than Hoffman? That is a question for people who are pedantic. There are some things that by now should be bread and butter but he has been unable to deliver the basics against a better quality side. The A-League is a step too far for Retre.

• Like 1

After tonight's game I now feel that Retre is not worth pursuing with. The throw in went to WSW players, lost the ball, unable to read the play or position himself. Is he better than Hoffman? That is a question for people who are pedantic. There are some things that by now should be bread and butter but he has been unable to deliver the basics against a better quality side. The A-League is a step too far for Retre.

I would give him another year myself.

He has shown some effort in the last few games and is still young.

We have players like Koren and Paartalu who have done nothing in the last few games. 

• 3 months later...

I like what I've seen of Paulo so far.  

Well given the forum "theme" at the moment seems to be reminding everyone of every arsey prediction you've ever made, I thought i should join in.  

I thought Paulo was great last night.  I'm hoping for a break out season from the young man.  Great work to start the counter attack movement that led to Mauk missing a tap in (including a nutmeg of Toure, not something that happens very often). 

• Like 4

Nutty aside, Retre looked really, really good last night. Composed on the ball, positioning was good and offered a lot going forward whilst being versatile enough to switch from right back into the midfield during the game and be effective in doing so.

Will be a very useful asset at right back when Franjic gets called up for internationals or is pushed up to the wing.

The first time I saw him I thought he had an awful game. Went back to the NYL, and then came back in at RB

From then I believe he has improved and now I would like to see him given some time in midfield. He has good energy, is mobile and has a great work rate.

The new and improved Hoffman.

Will be useful as a utility. People will jump straight onto his back when he has a couple of poor games.

More likely once he returns to the NYL side due the influx of our new more senior signings PPL will jump on his back as new Walkerist Claimant to the Youth Throne considering Mauk's performance in front of goal.

Where's Mauk Retre? etc etc

NOTE: Not that I dont think he has improved as a player or did not play well on the weekend.

• 2 months later...

Named in the 442 team of the week. The only city player to get that honour.

Paulo Retre (Melbourne City) at right wingback: Composed and skilful. A real modern day right-back is Retre, who is versatile enough to play other positions.
Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/league-team-week-round-one#mgKMIiFi22dcw758.99

Edited by Shahanga
add the "citation" & link
  • Like 1

In all honestly, it might be a stupid idea, but Retre is in such good form... and apparently to Fox Sports Novillo will be out for 6 weeks, what if when Franjic comes back, keep Retre RB, move Franjic RW, Gamerio LW and Fornaroli ST?

I touted this pre-season, Franjic played as a right winger at Brisbane and arguably performed better there than he did at right back. As his recent Socceroos performances have demonstrated, he doesn't possess the greatest defending skills but is dangerous the further he moves up the park.

Plus I really like Retre and how well he's re-established himself after a pretty crappy start

• Like 1

Yeah I'll admit I thought of Retre as a "nothing" player when he played a few games for us early on. Thought he doesn't offer much but he seems to have improved particularly with the ball. Seems more composed and is the furthest from being a liability even at RB.

I'm sure that nutmeg on Yaya gave him plenty of confidence.

• Like 2

Too slow to be an overlapping fullback, not composed enough to play in the centre of the park as a DM. Has proven himself enough to be back up RB to Franjic when performing as a stay at home RB. No way he should go near DM as he was a disaster there and already have trifiro clogging up the shit squaddie MF position that Murdocca used to fill.

• Like 1

IF anyone actually knows a thing about football... he was to blame for the last minute chance for blackwood... watch it back he gets sucked into the middle of the park and allows acres of space in behind on the Sydney LW...

That's the risk of the system we play. Those FBs are told to tuck in closer to the CBs when that ball comes from the other side.