Melbourne Football

Paulo Retre

Murfy1

NEWS: Retre’s step into senior football

Thursday, 21 August 2014

Paulo Retre’s journey to professional football has seen him work through the National Youth League ranks to earn a coveted spot on Melbourne City FC’s senior list.

Retre made headlines this week after the Club announced it had offered the 21 year-old a senior contract.

The talented young midfielder played four senior games last season—starting in two against Western Sydney Wanderers and Sydney FC—and featured in Joe Palatsides’ youth side who finished fifth last season.

Retre played 90 minutes against Hume City on Tuesday night and starred in the second-half, pulling the strings in the midfield. His path to senior football has seen him ply his trade in local leagues.

However, Head Coach John van’t Schip says Retre’s time in the National Youth League proved pivotal in his decision to sign him.

“Paulo has been working with us for some time and his signing builds on our tradition of developing and promoting players from the youth team to senior contracts,” van’t Schip said.

“For me, it shows all young players the value of committing to a team in the NYL.”

The National Youth League was created in 2008 as a pathway for junior players to develop in a professional environment. Retre’s pathway is testament to this system and van’t Schip believes it will open doors to future A-League and Socceroo stars.

“If I could give young players who aspire to play in the A-League any advice, it is that the NYL team is where we are looking for our emerging professional players.”

The NYL kicks-off in October with Melbourne City FC building a very exciting side.

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/news/1mtywvylhd1l81aoo2z8oclkz8

• 2 months later...

Two games now and by far the worst player on the pitch. At least if he could run properly without looking like he's absolutely fucked after 5 minutes or if he could run without looking like a headless chook he might warrant a spot in the team. He is the worst player on the pitch with the ball at his feet, I'd love to know the muppet who signed this guy on for a 1 year contract in the senior squad. I don't know what JVS sees in him but he has always been an extremely mediocre player for the league more suited to state or npl level at best.

I know he's young but he's not 'that' young. If he was 17 and playing like he is you can forgive his shortcomings. But he's almost 22 and can't be selected for any youth teams anymore where he might show potential to improve. Will be playing football with Jeremy walker by next season.

Edited by n i k o

I know he's young but he's not 'that' young. If he was 17 and playing like he is you can forgive his shortcomings. But he's almost 22 and can't be selected for any youth teams anymore where he might show potential to improve. Will be playing football with Jeremy walker by next season.

I completely agree.

Melling is the perfect comparison, they both play in the same position and despite being younger by a couple of years Melling has come in and taken his chance by actually showing something. 

• Like 1

Yeah. Neither Retre nor Garrucio have shown enough on the pitch to warrant optimism.

Garuccio has when he's actually been played in his preferred position.

Agreed. Garuccio has actually had senior games where he's been a standout. I can't really remember any particularly great moments from Retre in the A-League at all.

The only time I really noticed him yesterday (unlike, say, Brown, who had a few nice defensive plays in his cameo...though why he was on the left and Duff was on the right for his entire shift is baffling to me) was when he was in a one-on-one defending a high ball (I thought our midfielders and defenders - credit to them - were excellent against the high balls all game) just on the defensive side of halfway and he really needed to halve the contest and at least not let the Mariners win clean possession. And of course, he was knocked off the ball a bit too easily and Central Coast won the ball without much trouble at all. Can't remember if that was part of the passage that led to the first goal, but it would have given CC a bit of confidence, compared to the countless times that players like Wielaert and Paartalu got authoritative heads on the ball to halt an attacking move.

Very average footballer. Has no aspect of his game that really shows he could take it to another level. Mauk, Melling and Garruccio have all shown potential at least.

Agreed.

We can all see it in a few games.

Yet the recruiters saw...what, exactly?

Another Victory reject, so he must be good enough for us?

Just making up the numbers on the cheap. If Koren, Mauk, mooy orgermano were available he wouldn't see the light of day

• 4 months later...

I slaughtered this kid for a game he played prior to Xmas when he was very poor.

Back then I could see nothing that would make me think he had a chance of making it.

Fast forward to now and I have to say he has impressed me the last few games. He is not ideal for the RB position, but he gives it his all and IMO has done a good job when called upon.

So now I would be happy for him to stay on for another year and would like to see him in the holding midfielder position as I believe that may be suited to him.

• Like 2

I slaughtered this kid for a game he played prior to Xmas when he was very poor.

Back then I could see nothing that would make me think he had a chance of making it.

Fast forward to now and I have to say he has impressed me the last few games. He is not ideal for the RB position, but he gives it his all and IMO has done a good job when called upon.

So now I would be happy for him to stay on for another year and would like to see him in the holding midfielder position as I believe that may be suited to him.

Well it appears that he has displaced Hoffman at RB. He is improving so that is a plus and a clear advantage over Hoffman.

Well it appears that he has displaced Hoffman at RB. He is improving so that is a plus and a clear advantage over Hoffman.

It would appear JVS has made his mind up about Hoffman. As you say Retre has displaced him, even though it is far from his best position.

Hoffman is way better

I have to disagree Tony

Retre is way better at passing the ball than Hoffman. Also can tackle better. Probably not as good going forward because the position isn't his best.

I can actually see him offering more in central midfield as a defensive option.

Hoffman is way better

I have to disagree Tony

Retre is way better at passing the ball than Hoffman. Also can tackle better. Probably not as good going forward because the position isn't his best.

Retre played 3 senior games as a holding midfielder last year under "he who must not be named"& yes i believe that is his actual position.

I liked what i saw last year.  He was also head and shoulders the best of the "graduating" (for want of a better word) youth players last year, but even so I must have been the only person on this forum that wasn't shocked and dismayed when he got a minimum pay 1 year senior contract.  The way he's going right now he might be worth another 12 month deal.

The point has been made before that if we keep culling the squad every season we will never get anything like a settled squad. And also that the salary cap means that we have to have a certain number of players who are not highly-paid. And if we cut Retre we are gambling that we can get someone at least as good for the same cost. As far as I'm concerned he's come into the defence and performed creditably. Why take the risk? Same goes for Safuwan.

Hoffman is way better

I have to disagree Tony

Retre played 3 senior games as a holding midfielder last year under "he who must not be named"& yes i believe that is his actual position.

I liked what i saw last year.  He was also head and shoulders the best of the "graduating" (for want of a better word) youth players last year, but even so I must have been the only person on this forum that wasn't shocked and dismayed when he got a minimum pay 1 year senior contract.  The way he's going right now he might be worth another 12 month deal.

I was unaware he had already played there.

Considering his age and recent performances I would offer him a years contract.