Melbourne Football

2014/15 Season Predictions

Dylan

I think we are close enough to our final squad to get the ball rolling...

1. Formation and Starting 11 at round 1 + subs

2. Formation and Starting 11 at the end of the season + subs

3. Finishing position on the ladder.

4. How far into the finals we will go

5. Player most likely to fall away and end up not being used at all which we can call doing a Mifsud.

6. Player of the year

7. Young player most likely to break into the starting 11 / best young player

8. Players who will get released (not resigned/cut) either by seasons end or Jan transfer window.

9. Any other views you want to add

This is ment to be a predictions thread. Not what you think should happen

Tando

Hoffmann-------Wielaert-------Kisnorbo------------Ramsay

Visa DM

Mooy         Koren

Mate                           Villa                         Duff

subs: Willo Mauk Germano Garruccio  Redders 

Redders

Germano          Chapman  Kisnorbo         Garrucio

Visa DM

Mooy         Koren

Retre                      Kennedy                    Duff

Subs: Mate Mauk Hoffmann Chapman Tando

I think we will finish 5th after falling from third. I think from our recruiting we are clearly going down the long road with youth and building for the years to come. So that's probably why I think 5th this season

Win first game lose second

Ramsay 

Mooy, I have said a few times I think WSW are really going to miss him

Retre, he was very good last night (although it was a state team so probably not a great prediction)

Ramsay, Redmayne, Kalmar (no idea when their contracts are over)

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 2

Redmayne
Hoffman Wielaert Kisnorbo New LB (King?/Visa)

Murdocca   Koren
                        Mooy
Dugandzic                            Duff
                    David Villa

Subs: Velaphi, Chapman, Mauk, Garuccio, Williams

Redmayne
Hoffman Archibald Kisnorbo New LB

Koren
                  Mooy     Mauk
Duff                                    Garuccio
                      Kennedy

Subs: Velaphi, Wielaert, Murdocca, Williams, Dugandzic

3. 4th place

4. Like you said as well; win the first, lose the second.

5. Ramsay (hopefully)

6. Once again have to agree with you; Mooy

7. Garuccio.

8. If you mean who won't be re-signed; Ramsay, Redmayne, Kalmar, Wielaert, Germano,

Edited by hakz7

Finishing position on the ladder?

5th

How far into the finals we will go?

Not entirely convinced we'll make it but if we do, I think we can do some damage regardless of who we play. But probably 1st week.

Player most likely to fall away and end up not being used at all which we can call doing a Mifsud.

I don't think we'll have anyone flop as badly as Mifsud or even Maycon did, but I can see Brown being unimpressive.

Player of the year?

Aaron Mooy

Young player most likely to break into the starting 11 / best young player?

Ben Garuccio, absolute gun and will hopefully get the game time he deserves.

Players who will get released (not resigned/cut) either by seasons end or Jan transfer window?

Way too early to tell, but probably Kalmar and one of Velaphi or Redmayne.

6th - just

First week

Player most likely to fall away and end up not being used at all which we can call doing a Mifsud.

Mass

Player of the year?

Aaron Mooy

Mauk. I think He will surprise us and make a starting 11 spot his

Players who will get released (not resigned/cut) either by seasons end or Jan transfer window?

Wielart, Velaphi and Ramsey

4th

First week

Ramsey

Player of the year?

Aaron Mooy

Garuccio

Wielart, Ramsey, kalmar, Redmayne

Edited by n i k o

A bit tough with season predictions at this point, as we haven't actually signed key players like our Australian marquee or our final Visa player (although I reckon Kennedy will be signed eventually). But I guess we know enough, and predictions aren't meant to be easy, so... :

Velaphi
Hoffman Wielaert Kisnorbo Garuccio
              New-DM Mooy
    Duff           Koren            Williams

Villa

Subs: Redmayne, Dugandzic, Chapman, Mauk, Germano 

Velaphi
Germano Wielaert Kisnorbo Garuccio
                New-DM Mooy

Dugandzic    Koren           Duff         

Kennedy

Subs: Redmayne, Williams, Chapman, Mauk, Marino 

3rd

Grand final appearance

Towards the end of the season I think these players will regularly fall out of match-day squads: Ramsay, Hoffman, Murdocca, Brown 

Player of the year?
Robert Koren (with Mooy and Duff taking up the other podium positions)

Well, I think Garuccio will regularly be in the starting 11 as LB as of early next season. So besides him, I'll boldly tip Marino to become a squad regular and get significant game time. I think our squads have been sorely missing goal-scoring forwards, so I'm tipping Marino to make an impact and be our standout young player next season.

These players are definitely out of contract at the end of next season: Velaphi, Wielaert, Kisnorbo, Murdocca, Ramsay, Duff and Retre, and I'm pretty sure these players are out of contract then as well: Dugandzic, Germano, Kalmar (btw, it turns out Redmayne was given a 2 year contract extension even when he was contracted for 1 more season [i.e. last season], so he's contracted here until the end of the 2015/16 season). I'll tip Velaphi, Kisnorbo, Duff, Retre, Dugandzic, Kalmar and Germano (as an Australian citizen & player) to be retained.

9. The opposite of question 5. Who will improve a lot or surprise and regularly be in and/or about the starting 11 next season?

I'm tipping Dugandzic, Germano and Velaphi to have good seasons.

Edited by Murfy1

4th

First week

Redmayne

Player of the year?

Kisnorbo 

THE FUCKING GOOCH!!!!!

Ramsey

PS. If we don't finish top 4 JVS will be getting the sack

5th

Win in extra time and knocked out in the second week.

Murdocca - I think we are going to become a much better side at using the ball and being dangerous with it and Murdocca looks sorely out of place at doing that when you put him alongside Koren, Mooy, Mauk and even Kalmar

Ramsay is also a big chance here, he's going to behind a few players, especially if we sign a real full back.

Player of the year?
Aaron Mooy. Going to have a very consistent season. Koren will be runner up.

Garuccio. The position is open for him (LB), he is our least worst option there and a big talent. Could also be played on the wings so he will get plenty of opportunities off the bench regardless.

Mauk would be a chance but he will be playing off the bench mostly.

1. Formation and Starting 11 at round 1 + subs:

Redmayne

Hoffman    -    Wieleart    -    Kisnorbo    -    Ramsay

Murdocca

Mooy      -      Koren

D. Duff                 -                Williams

Villa

Bench: Velaphi, Germano, Garuccio, Kalmar, Dugandzic

2. Formation and Starting 11 at the end of the season + subs:

Velaphi

Germano    -    Wieleart    -    Kisnorbo    -   Garuccio

Murdocca

Mooy      -      Koren

D. Duff                  -                 Williams

Kennedy

Bench: Redmayne, Archibald, Retre, Dugandzic, Marino

Dropped off: Villa, Ramsay, Hoffman, Kalmar

3. Finishing position on the ladder:

3rd

4. How far into the finals we will go:

Finalists

5. Player most likely to fall away and end up not being used at all which we can call doing a Mifsud:

Ramsay

6. Player of the year:

Mooy

7. Young player most likely to break into the starting 11 / best young player:

Garuccio

8. Players who will get released (not resigned/cut) either by seasons end or Jan transfer window:

Ramsay

9. Any other views you want to add:

a) Worried that Mauk will not get enough game-time to flourish because Mooy and Koren will dominate.

B) Hoping to see Marino score some goals.

c) I hope Hoffman follows Ramsay out the door in Jan, but I can see Hoffman sticking around...again!

d) I hope in January we de-list Redmayne (depending on his performance obviously) and sign a true No.1 keeper which would relegate Velaphi back to the bench  ^_^

I can't believe that only one person has Mate in their starting line-up. He's grown so much as a player and is one of the leaders at the club. 

I can't see him not getting a game, unless he's injured. 

Where would you put him in your starting line-up?

Redmayne

Murdocca

Mooy      -      Koren

Villa

Bench: Velaphi, Germano, Garuccio, Kalmar, Dugandzic

I can't believe that only one person has Mate in their starting line-up. He's grown so much as a player and is one of the leaders at the club. 

I can't see him not getting a game, unless he's injured. 

Where would you put him in your starting line-up?

Redmayne

Murdocca

Mooy      -      Koren

Villa

Bench: Velaphi, Germano, Garuccio, Kalmar, Dugandzic

I'd play him before williams 

Mate was hopeless against sydney in ballarat. He's very hot and cold as a player and unlike other seasons where he's been given game time to eventually find his form again i don't think he'll have the same luxury this season. Would only play him if he's in good form otherwise he doesn't even make the bench for me.

• Like 1

I guess an interesting point to raise is where we sit compared to the other teams. In past seasons this is a squad that should have done very well. But the other teams have strengthened very well. Sydney have a stong side, as do Brisbane, Adelaide, wsw and even Perth have recruited well.

While I think we have a squad on paper that should make the finals, are we good enough that we will be as consistant as the top 4 teams in the league?

• Like 2

I hope like hell I'm wrong, but I think there's a pretty high chance we'll miss finals.  Whilst there are some real improvements in the squad especially with Mooy, Koren and Duff, compared to last year we still have some major problems with the squad.  And we know where we finished last year!!

The back four is worse than last year with Behich gone.  Weilardt is not getting any younger or quicker, Hoffman is still ordinary and the LB position is currently a joke.  Add to this that the replacements for any injury to the current back four relies again on players playing out of their normal position, or inexperienced NYL promotions, then the depth is a real problem.  With an uninspiring and weak goal keeper behind them, I find this really worrying.

I still think the DM position is critical to the structure of JVS's squads - someone with a hard edge and good on the ball. Engelaar was that guy, and unless the last Visa spot goes to someone of substance here, then we are arguably weaker now than last year.  The only three options we have at present are Germano (injury concerns ongoing), Murdocca (I don't rate at all for pass completion or strength) and Kalmar (you never know what you'll get but is not overly inspiring).

The AM's of Koren and Mooy look good (and I think Mauk is a huge talent), but the news Villa is not coming until the season is just about to begin doesn't mean the squad will gel immediately - especially if he's not committed to his trip down south.  Probably by the time they work each other out, it's time for him to go.  Kennedy isn't a guaranteed proposition yet, and even he has a recent injury record that is not great.  And Williams and Dugandzic have histories of being inconsistent which we can't turn a blind eye to.

But probably what I am most concerned about is that the team fell away so badly to the end of last season after a period of rejuvenation.  I still don't think we have developed that dig in and fight to the last man culture that grinds out those close games when things aren't going well.  Maybe Duff and Koren will bring that, but until I see some real change in the character and fight of the bulk of the players, then I think we'll keep coasting along.  We need to have a greater ruthlessness (and maybe CFG can bring that) where people are fighting for their spots - indeed their careers.  To turn a culture of mediocrity into success often doesn't happen overnight (especially in a salary capped league). 

I really do hope I'm wrong but there are some real concerns still for the squad.  

Edited by Defibrillator
  • Like 4

I hope like hell I'm wrong, but I think there's a pretty high chance we'll miss finals.  Whilst there are some real improvements in the squad especially with Mooy, Koren and Duff, compared to last year we still have some major problems with the squad.  And we know where we finished last year!!

The back four is worse than last year with Behich gone.  Weilardt is not getting any younger or quicker, Hoffman is still ordinary and the LB position is currently a joke.  Add to this that the replacements for any injury to the current back four relies again on players playing out of their normal position, or inexperienced NYL promotions, then the depth is a real problem.  With an uninspiring and weak goal keeper behind them, I find this really worrying.

I still think the DM position is critical to the structure of JVS's squads - someone with a hard edge and good on the ball. Engelaar was that guy, and unless the last Visa spot goes to someone of substance here, then we are arguably weaker now than last year.  The only three options we have at present are Germano (injury concerns ongoing), Murdocca (I don't rate at all for pass completion or strength) and Kalmar (you never know what you'll get but is not overly inspiring).

The AM's of Koren and Mooy look good (and I think Mauk is a huge talent), but the news Villa is not coming until the season is just about to begin doesn't mean the squad will gel immediately - especially if he's not committed to his trip down south.  Probably by the time they work each other out, it's time for him to go.  Kennedy isn't a guaranteed proposition yet, and even he has a recent injury record that is not great.  And Williams and Dugandzic have histories of being inconsistent which we can't turn a blind eye to.

But probably what I am most concerned about is that the team fell away so badly to the end of last season after a period of rejuvenation.  I still don't think we have developed that dig in and fight to the last man culture that grinds out those close games when things aren't going well.  Maybe Duff and Koren will bring that, but until I see some real change in the character and fight of the bulk of the players, then I think we'll keep coasting along.  We need to have a greater ruthlessness (and maybe CFG can bring that) where people are fighting for their spots - indeed their careers.  To turn a culture of mediocrity into success often doesn't happen overnight (especially in a salary capped league). 

I really do hope I'm wrong but there are some real concerns still for the squad.  

Pretty spot on tbh. 

• Like 1

Williams is shit on the wing, but can be dangerous on the ball. Duga and Ramsey offer nothing

After the 20 yards it takes for him to control the fucking thing.

I would much rather a player who can do the simple things and not one fancy/difficult thing than a player who can pull something out his ass, but can barely pass the ball to a team mate or has a horrendous first touch.

Williams struggles with keeping a simple pass on the ground and hardly ever plays the ball to a players advantage i.e. in front of them when running or picking out the foot they want it passed to.

• Like 2

Mark my words; we will struggle to make finals. We have almost an identical team to the past 18 months, and were the fuck has that gotten us? Ive said this time and time again, the majority of our players are either rubbish or average, with only 2-3 obvious exeptions, hence my expectations being so low. But i gotta be brutally honest and we really do need to start facing the facts and waking up to reality cause to me, we're nothing special. Fuck me i hope i am proven wrong...

Spot on Malloy. Duga under van schip is a very good player, and he'll be good for us this season. Williams is the type of player that shouldn't be given too much time to think on the ball. That's why he is good when running directly at the goals and his best moments come from him doing exactly this. Playing on the wing requires crossing, close ball control and the ability to take on defenders, things I don't have much faith in when it comes to williams. Duga for the wing hands down.

Edited by n i k o

Williams is shit on the wing, but can be dangerous on the ball. Duga and Ramsey offer nothing

After the 20 yards it takes for him to control the fucking thing.

I would much rather a player who can do the simple things and not one fancy/difficult thing than a player who can pull something out his ass, but can barely pass the ball to a team mate or has a horrendous first touch.

Williams struggles with keeping a simple pass on the ground and hardly ever plays the ball to a players advantage i.e. in front of them when running or picking out the foot they want it passed to.

Also true of ramsey and duga. Three spuds

Upcoming season prediction will depend solely on injuries, not only for us but all squads. If we can keep our better performers on the park we have a sniff. I think a top 4 finish is truly optimistic, I am leaning towards a 5 or 6 finish. Hopefully no more than 10 losses and maybe 10 to 12 wins. If we make finals and have good form going into then anything can happen. We have a decent squad assembled and others cleverer than I have highlighted our weaknesses, but what we have seen over the years this league is rarely a done thing. All teams have a genuine chance of qualifying for finals.

Hoping for Garuccio, Mauk and latterly Marino to establish themselves as first team players.

Player to fall away, (hopefully none), but I lack confidence in both keepers, and Weilart.

Best player, Koren. If he stamps his reported class on the League we should experience a lot of joy.

Rd1 starting 11

Redmayne

Wieleart        - - -          Kisnorbo

Hoffman                 -         Germano            -            Ramsay

Mooy           - - -          Koren

Duff                                                  Williams

Villa

Starting 11 by Seasons end.

Velaphi

Germano  -  -  - Kisnorbo

Hoffman                           Murdocca                   Garuccio

Mooy  - - - Koren

Duff               Kennedy          Williams

I think we will finish 3rd (anything less will be unacceptable)

We will reach the Semi finals

Players to be released: Kelma, Duganzic, Ramsay, Wieleart, and Kisnorbo

I predict: Mooy, Marino, and J. Brown to have the biggest impact from our younger players, and Garuccio to have a massive season.

Melbourne City to lose Rd1, and big win R2

JVS to get sacked if we don't make finals, along with coaching stuff.

D. Villa to score 6 goals in 10 games.

Mooy to be MCFC player of the year (Mooy to play for Socceroos in Asian Cup)

• Like 1

I would just like to add that our rise up the ladder will depend on the whole club raising the standards in all departments in particular the football department. what I mean is:

Playing well and losing Not Acceptable  

Dominating play and coming away with a draw Not Acceptable

Creating genuine goal scoring chances and not finishing Not Acceptable 

Not winning away form home Not Acceptable (Obviously you cant win them all, but we cant lose them all either)

I truly believe that if we raise the standards of what is acceptable and what is not, we will have our best season yet. from what I can see from the videos posted and the 2 games I have attended the boys are working harder JVS seems more involved and animated on the sidelines, and the intensity in training has lifted. I think by having Duff and Koren and with the arrival of Villa these players will lift the standard and will not accept nor will they understand what an honourable lose is.

I'm really hoping that these 3 players can change the clubs culture and that's were their value truly is... 

Some of the comments in this thread remind me of what the German media and German pundits said about the German national team before the 2014 World Cup. They were sure Germany wouldn't be a real contender to win the World Cup. They said things like the team was too young, and the team had no real fullbacks (esp. because Lahm was intended to, and regularly did, play in midfield), and the team didn't have any real strikers (apart from the aging Klose). And we all know what happened then...

The fact is it's often the case that a national team or a club team can be underestimated, because supporters know where all the bodies are buried and they are thoroughly (and perhaps overly) familiar with the team's shortcomings. Whereas the shortcomings of other teams can get overlooked or downplayed, as the weaknesses in the supported team are fixated upon.

I just really don't think there are 6 teams better than us, because when you scrutinise other A-League teams as much as Melbourne City have been scrutinised, you see that all A-League teams have significant weaknesses. So whilst I acknowledge our team has some key vulnerabilities, I just don't think they are that big a deal when you compare us with the other teams. Look at the best 2 teams from last season, Brisbane and WSW. Both have IMO been clearly weakened over the transfer period, with both of them losing a lot of quality players and not replacing them sufficiently. And as for the other teams, there's a reason why they were all far off winning the league last season, such as victory having a terrible defence (which is significantly weaker now with the loss of Traore), ditto Wellington (conceding 51 goals!) and Adelaide also frequently shipping soft goals.

I personally don't think there are more than 2 or maybe 3 teams that will go better than Melbourne City next season, and that's a key reason why I've tipped a 3rd place finish. And I reckon it would be pushing it to say there are 4 teams clearly better than Melbourne City.

Some other things to remember are that our team was highly competitive over the second half of last season, despite our team then having undeniable radical weaknesses (such as the team's overall psychological malaise, a hangover from the Aloisi era, and our team having only one striker, or 'striker', Williams). Also, by next season a lot of Aloisi's disastrous coaching influence should have been expunged (although we'll still have some of the player he signed, they should at least be a bit better free from Aloisi's coaching). And we will have 2 proper marquees next season (and neither will likely have broken legs). And we will have bloody David Villa for several, maybe 10, games.

And another key matter I've come to appreciate is the skewered view supporters have got of the team's pre-season. Most supporters have only seen the FFA Cup game against Sydney, and maybe the Hume City match. And apart from a few very short videos, very little has been seen of the team's other pre-season matches, which include 4 wins (7-0, 6-0, 5-1, 5-0) and 2 draws (2-2, 1-1). It could well be the case that for whatever reason the FFA Cup match was an anomaly, and is quite exceptional when compared to the team's average pre-season form.      

So don't overrate the other A-League teams. No teams will have real marquees next season (Janko at Sydney is maybe the closest), except for Melbourne City with David Villa, Robert Koren and maybe Josh Kennedy. And there's a reason why there's no clear favourite going into the next A-League season, because there are no A-League teams that are clearly impressive and that are bound to be among the very top few team next season. So there's little reason to definitively count Melbourne City out of being there or thereabouts next season.

• Like 1

1) Starting line up round 1:

Gk: Redmayne

Def: Hoffman, Weilaert, Kisnorbo, Ramsey

Mid: Visa DM, Mooy, Koren

Fwd: Duff, Villa, Dugandzic

Bench: Velaphi, Chapman, Garuccio, Mauk, Williams

2)Lineup end of season:

Gk: Velaphi

Def: Gemano, Chapman, Kisnorbo, New LB (King?)

Mid: Visa DM, Mooy, Koren

Fwd: Duff, Kennedy, Garuccio

Bench: Redmayne, Weilaert, Hoffman, Mauk, Williams

3)Finishing position on table:

7th

4)Finals:

N/A

5) The Mifsud:

Ramsey, Redmayne, Brown, Dugandzic (unfortunately)

6)Player of the year:

1st Mooy, 2nd Koren, 3rd Garuccio

7)Youth breakout season:

Garuccio

8) Players who will leave:

Sold: Garuccio (Europe) possibly Mooy (Europe/Asia)

Retired: Duff, Weilaert, Murdocca

Released: Ramsey, Redmayne, Kalmar plus quite a few more.

9)Added views:

We will be in the top 4 for the first 10 weeks before falling away. JVS will be sacked in mid February. We wont make finals, but it will be an improvement on last season, but not enough for CFG.Big turnover next off-season.

1st

The lot

Hoffshit and Ramshit

Player of the year?
Aaron Mooy

Garuccio 

Hoffshit, Ramshit, Redshit, Shitdocca and Wieleart

1st

The lot

Hoffshit and Ramshit

Player of the year?

Aaron Mooy

Garuccio

Hoffshit, Ramshit, Redshit, Shitdocca and

Wieleart

Why all the Wielaart hate?

1st

The lot

Hoffshit and Ramshit

Player of the year?

Aaron Mooy

Garuccio

Hoffshit, Ramshit, Redshit, Shitdocca and

Wieleart

Why all the Wielaart hate?

Because he makes Pirlo look like Usain Bolt