Melbourne Football

Marc Marino

BeardedHeart

• 8 months later...

He had a long term injury from around November last year to March this year, and has seemingly been working at getting match fit ever since.

Going off the pictures of training, Marino has seemingly been fully training with the team since day 1 of pre-season, so hopefully the injury struggles are a thing of the past, and Marino can go back to showing the flashes of promise that he first showed when he debuted for Melbourne City last year.

He must even be a pretty good chance to play a few minutes today, because seemingly the only available forwards the club has now are Novillo, Kuzmanovski, Marino and Gameiro (and there might be an injury cloud over Gameiro).

Edited by Murfy1

• 8 months later...
4 minutes ago, Embee said:

Paging @cadete, #yoof

The reason I make these comments is cos of shit like this...

4 hours ago, playmaker said:

Yep, and start Harry on the bench as an impact sub.

The kid looks hungry. 

Two Junk Time Goals over two seasons are not a good reason to replace a guy who averages in the A-League officially a goal every second game.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 2

Just now, cadete said:

The reason I make these comments is cos of shit like this...

Two Junk Time Goals are not a good reason to replace a guy who averages in the A-League officially a goal every second game.

Haha agree completely.

For what it's worth, have watched the kid more than a few times in the NPL and he was pretty average most times I was there. 

2 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Nope.

Ok so I'm going to be civil about this as you've proven to be a bit fragile before...

you seriously believe that a player with 10 goals and 5 assists (top 10 in the league for both stats) who has amazing chemistry with our two best players, and is up there as one of our highest paid players should be replaced by a 19 year old who has missed the majority of the season through injury because he scored A GOAL?!

4 minutes ago, rass said:

You reckon a bloke with Harry's attitude and personality will give his all if you try and play him off the bench? Especially come finals time?

Bahahahahaha

To be fair, that's not the real issue with Playmaker's statement anyway.

Why you would drop one of our better (although admittedly flawed) performers for a kid because he came on off the bench and scored a goal is completely beyond me. Harry can be a pain in the ass at times but he's a proven performer in this league and has contributed greatly to the team this season, dropping him for Marino just because he scored a consolation goal is ridiculous.

Not to mention, how would you even structure the team to do this? Harry can play out wide/up front and has proven to be pretty versatile and able to perform well in several different roles, Marino is a pretty limited striker who sits on the shoulder of the last defender and attempts to get in behind and score, he's definitely not skilled enough to play on the wing, so you'd be committing to a 3-5-2 (yay) or a 4-4-2 if you were going to start him.

• Like 1

My methodology is that he is a great player in bursts and often goes missing for portions of the game. Many great players have come off the bench to change the game and my view is that as defenders have already played 50 odd minutes and starting to tire, plus have become used to their opponents predictability. He would come on and rip the defence apart, hence why I said an impact sub. He is our best player in bursts and if he can maintain intensity and pressure on the defence when he has fresh legs then I think it could have more potential to break down the opposition defence.

Many great players have been used this way. 

34 minutes ago, playmaker said:

My methodology is that he is a great player in bursts and often goes missing for portions of the game. Many great players have come off the bench to change the game and my view is that as defenders have already played 50 odd minutes and starting to tire, plus have become used to their opponents predictability. He would come on and rip the defence apart, hence why I said an impact sub. He is our best player in bursts and if he can maintain intensity and pressure on the defence when he has fresh legs then I think it could have more potential to break down the opposition defence.

Many great players have been used this way. 

Nobody has even seen Marino start a game, or even play more than what twenty minutes in the entirety of his career and all of these minutes he has played have been in Junk Time. He also only played yesterday because Meiling pulled up sore in the warm up and even then his goal was one of the more pointless ones scored this season.

Your point about Novillo going missing is irrelevant because if he is averaging a goal a game then his doing his job... if he keeps scoring at that rate then who cares if he goes missing in games, a lot of strikers go missing in games they get some leeway in this department. He also has the ability to score from far harder opportunities than vast majority of strikers in the A-League against the play of the game which is a huge asset when it comes to finals.

Edited by cadete

49 minutes ago, cadete said:

Nobody has even seen Marino start a game, or even play more than what twenty minutes in the entirety of his career and all of these minutes he has played have been in Junk Time. He also only played yesterday because Meiling pulled up sore in the warm up and even then his goal was one of the more pointless ones scored this season.

Your point about Novillo going missing is irrelevant because if he is averaging a goal a game then his doing his job... if he keeps scoring at that rate then who cares if he goes missing in games, a lot of strikers go missing in games they get some leeway in this department. He also has the ability to score from far harder opportunities than vast majority of strikers in the A-League against the play of the game which is a huge asset when it comes to finals.

It's true that Harry has scored at an average of one goal every second match this season, but a detailed look indicates that his scoring rate has dropped off markedly in recent matches - only one goal in the past seven matches. I'm another who thinks his more recent performances have been lacking in intensity and willingness to work hard. That's not to say I'd drop him to the bench, but I think there's a case for reviewing how we use him, because IMO he could be so much better than he is.

• Like 1

Just now, jw1739 said:

It's true that Harry has scored at an average of one goal every second match this season, but a detailed look indicates that his scoring rate has dropped off markedly in recent matches - only one goal in the past seven matches. I'm another who thinks his more recent performances have been lacking in intensity and willingness to work hard. That's not to say I'd drop him to the bench, but I think there's a case for reviewing how we use him, because IMO he could be so much better than he is.

The thing is it did not happen last night but the reality was the best chance we had of winning that game and a game like that was if Harry had been able to cut in and score from long range. In fact it looks pretty obvious early on that this was going be our best (And very fleeting) hope of escaping the impending doom.

It’s a huge asset that he has the potential do as such as it is a massive rarity in this League and if he done as such and got us one – nil up and put Perth on the wrong foot then we may be all having fairly different feelings about Soccer right now.

I know this “X Factor” or “Occasional Glimpse of The Sublime” is not a reason to keep a player solely in the side but it is a reason to keep Harry Novillo in the side alongside with his scoring record and chemistry with Tuna in this side over Marino.

I don't see how starting off the bench is any worse than starting on the field. If u were to say to a player we need u for this role, the role being to come on at the 50th minute and to exploit the opposition with your superior, speed, skill and attack, I can't see the problem. Look at the impact Santalab has had off the bench and smashing open tired defenders. 

Why do people see it as such a negative, impact/ match winning sub's have been used as a part of winning strategies since the inception of the game.

3 minutes ago, playmaker said:

I don't see how starting off the bench is any worse than starting on the field. If u were to say to a player we need u for this role, the role being to come on at the 50th minute and to exploit the opposition with your superior, speed, skill and attack, I can't see the problem. Look at the impact Santalab has had off the bench and smashing open tired defenders. 

Why do people see it as such a negative, impact/ match winning sub's have been used as a part of winning strategies since the inception of the game.

Well think back to Harry's goals and assists. Do you think Marino would have scored in some of those situations or had the vision or ability to make those assists? Could Marino have taken the first time ball as well as Harry did in our first goal last Monday? Or scored the winner against the Wanderers at home?

These are just a couple of examples but I'm asking whether you can convince me that Marino would have been of more value if he were in Harry's place. 

22 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Because having your best players on at the start gives you your best chance to gain a lead. It's much easier to win games leading than it is to have to come from behind.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Well think back to Harry's goals and assists. Do you think Marino would have scored in some of those situations or had the vision or ability to make those assists? Could Marino have taken the first time ball as well as Harry did in our first goal last Monday? Or scored the winner against the Wanderers at home?

These are just a couple of examples but I'm asking whether you can convince me that Marino would have been of more value if he were in Harry's place. 

I understand your point but that's not what I am saying.

I think there is consensus that Harry is brilliant and probably the most damaging player in bursts that we have, however he has large moments in the game that he loses focus and motivation. 

I just wonder what his impact would be off the bench when he is given the freedom to run himself silly of 20 to 30 minutes with a tiring defence, thats all.

Just an observation that a player if his brilliance together with his mental shortcomings might be more valuable to the team in the above scenario.