Melbourne Football

Marc Marino

BeardedHeart

57 minutes ago, playmaker said:

I understand your point but that's not what I am saying.

I think there is consensus that Harry is brilliant and probably the most damaging player in bursts that we have, however he has large moments in the game that he loses focus and motivation. 

I just wonder what his impact would be off the bench when he is given the freedom to run himself silly of 20 to 30 minutes with a tiring defence, thats all.

Just an observation that a player if his brilliance together with his mental shortcomings might be more valuable to the team in the above scenario.

Assuming we are assessing Harry based on last nights game, in his defence most of the team didn't show up and not just him. If we're assessing Harry based on the past month I've stated really clearly in his thread that his defensive efforts have been the best I've seen with his time at the club. So while he hasn't scored much over the past month he has been really putting in to chase back and defend. 

As to your idea of playing Harry as an impact sub I can only answer based on the all the repercussions of such a move. So while he may have an impact as a sub, what impact would his alternative have for the first 60 minutes. 

I think your argument has as much weight as your pro argument to keep Koren, the team has been scoring goals for fun, Harry has scored 10 goals in only 20 matches. Denying one of our best attackers time on the pitch is the most ludicrous thing I've heard (besides the whole Koren saga). 

Also @playmaker seeing as Marino has scored as a bench player in two out his five games would that not indicate that he should be played of the bench?

If you like Burst Players so much the stats indicate his your man.

Rather than experimenting with someone who has proven himself as being capable to score 11 goals in 22 games as a Starter.

Edited by cadete

47 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I think your argument has as much weight as your pro argument to keep Koren, the team has been scoring goals for fun, Harry has scored 10 goals in only 20 matches. Denying one of our best attackers time on the pitch is the most ludicrous thing I've heard (besides the whole Koren saga). 

Really?! Wow.

On Marino, I agree that he's performed admirably off the bench (2 goals in 6 cameos off the bench; actually an impressive 2 goals over a mere 92 minutes), so he should continue to be played off the bench. This 19 year old kid's done exceptionally well, after what must have been a very demoralising several month injury, to return from injury and score a goal in such a big match.

Not only is it a reminder how stupid JVS' striker-less bench is (Marino only made the bench just before kickoff due to a small knock Melling received in the warm-ups), but Marino has earned the position as our go-to striker off the bench (especially while we have no other options ATM with Gamerio and Dekker injured). Good luck to the kid and hopefully he can continue to perform.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

On Marino, I agree that he's performed admirably off the bench (2 goals in 6 cameos off the bench; actually an impressive 2 goals over a mere 92 minutes), so he should continue to be played off the bench. This 19 year old kid's done exceptionally well, after what must have been a very demoralising several month injury, to return from injury and score a goal in such a big match.

Not only is it a reminder how stupid JVS' striker-less bench is (Marino only made the bench just before kickoff due to a small knock Melling received in the warm-ups), but Marino has earned the position as our go-to striker off the bench (especially while we have no other options ATM with Gamerio and Dekker injured). Good luck to the kid and hopefully he can continue to perform.

Yes Murfy spot on.  The young bloke finished sensationally, especially when you consider he wasn't expecting to even be on the bench until right on kick off.  i hope he gets a few more minutes in some other games.

As to the bench, bugger me, who picks a bench in a must win away game with 2 midfielders and 2 defenders?   Surely a good coach looks for 2 things, 1 - a game changer(s) and 2 - versatility to cover any injuries?  For me even a young striker is better than none at all.  

Anyway don't want to hijack the thread, Marino took his chance so well that my immediate thought was that it was Bruno!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

The thing is you sometimes let your guard down and post something intelligent/insightful/witty, this blokes just a full blown fucking fruit loop

Now now, he's only gone full retard twice on this forum. The other times I think he's been pretty good. 

I'd say all this season Harry Novillo has not had more than 70 minutes in him - certainly in the past few matches he hasn't. I agree he's a starting player, but I see nothing wrong with bringing a subsidiary striker such as Marino on for the last 20 minutes. As someone has already mentioned, Santalab for WSW is the perfect example of how this strategy can work.

One thing I hope for into the future is a much stronger City bench. Much of this season it's been as weak as piss.

53 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'd say all this season Harry Novillo has not had more than 70 minutes in him - certainly in the past few matches he hasn't. I agree he's a starting player, but I see nothing wrong with bringing a subsidiary striker such as Marino on for the last 20 minutes. As someone has already mentioned, Santalab for WSW is the perfect example of how this strategy can work.

One thing I hope for into the future is a much stronger City bench. Much of this season it's been as weak as piss.

I agree with you but I would also add that at times it is just baffling as was the case against the Phoenix in Wellington.

Just now, jw1739 said:

"Half the best senior players in the League" haven't seen us win anything yet.

Still does not mean they should be replaced by a kid who has played under an hour of Junk Time Football.

Last week showed how JVS should use a young striker more often like Marino or Dekker on the bench in case he needs to chase games and that is it... not that one of the league's more dynamic players should start as a sub.

17 hours ago, jw1739 said:

3 minutes ago, cadete said:

Still does not mean they should be replaced by a kid who has played under an hour of Junk Time Football.

Last week showed how JVS should use a young striker more often like Marino or Dekker on the bench in case he needs to chase games and that is it... not that one of the league's more dynamic players should start as a sub.

So, we basically agree after all...

3 minutes ago, cadete said:

I fully agree with what you are saying. But the optimist in me has the following scenario: City gets to play in the ACL next year and I fully expect that both Fornaroli and Novillo would be playing. This would leave one other international player spot available and maybe if we get an Asian international as well. Given of what the A-League has experienced do you see a role next season to start Marino/Dekker, in the domestic league, over Fornaroli or Novillo to give them some rest?

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Yes, it just annoys me when PPL make stupid statements about players purely because they are young like the should replace Harry Novillo as a Starter on the back of a meaningless Junk Time Goal.

Edited by cadete

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't think that was ever in question. 

JW, you're intial quote you highlighted is actually the complete opposite to what @playmaker said, which is to start Marino and use Harry as an impact sub. That's what was being argued here. Which is fair enough, because it was fukn stupid. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, rass said:

JW, you're intial quote you highlighted is actually the complete opposite to what @playmaker said, which is to start Marino and use Harry as an impact sub. That's what was being argued here. Which is fair enough, because it was fukn stupid. 

Don't accuse him of being stupid he'll have another tantrum.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, rass said:

I was simply tidying up the exchange between @cadete and me. Not supporting @playmaker whatsoever.

• Like 2

All this is nothing new and these arguements aren't limited to youth players. Marino scores a goal = instant starting eleven player. James Brown scores a goal = shows potential in 5 seconds of thousands of minutes as a player, instant starting eleven player. JVS has some wins = rep status elevated. It's the typical knee jerk reaction of this forum. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Alexxxandro said:

Yeah it is kind of strange just how much this forum can swing on one win/loss.

I think that's every forum, not just this one.

I'd like to see Marino get more game time, but its difficult to see him wedging anyone out of the side at this point. Looked good in the pre-season game (scoring an absolute bullet) that he got injured in, but unfortunately hasn't had an opportunity since.

23 minutes ago, Alexxxandro said:

Yeah it is kind of strange just how much this forum can swing on one win/loss.

I've always been amazed by this. For anyone that has watched the Simpsons this level of thinking and intelligence of the forum has always reminded me of that episode where the meteor is going to hit Springfield and people are trying to save themselves by jump the bridge but fall to their death, Arnie Pye is says "It's a silent testament to the never-give-up and never-think-things-out spirit of our citizens."

Edited by n i k o

49 minutes ago, n i k o said:

All this is nothing new and these arguements aren't limited to youth players. Marino scores a goal = instant starting eleven player. James Brown scores a goal = shows potential in 5 seconds of thousands of minutes as a player, instant starting eleven player. JVS has some wins = rep status elevated. It's the typical knee jerk reaction of this forum. 

The reason I go on about the "Walkerist Shit" is certain posters always seem to do this shit about which youth player has been given some limited game time... I mean it just seems to move from player to player... not long ago it Gooch who PPL kept calling to be played.

The reality is that a fuckload of kids get a few runs in the A-League at the end of games or as makeshift FB's due to injuries at all the different clubs and its definitely a majority not a minority of them dont actually go on to be established A-League players.

The majority end up in NPL Football or perhaps going to a lesser league in Asia or somewhere however some on here cant seem to get their head around that fact.

I have nothing against the kids getting thrown into the deep end so we can see if they can play and I am as happy as anyone when they can prove they can play like Eli, Goodwin or now Meiling but I hate PPL using small samples of game time to make these ridiculous grand predictions or statements to start these players over established players who by and large have performed well for the club.

Edited by cadete

45 minutes ago, cadete said:

The reason I go on about the "Walkerist Shit" is certain posters always seem to do this shit about which youth player has been given some limited game time... I mean it just seems to move from player to player... not long ago it Gooch who PPL kept calling to be played.

The reality is that a fuckload of kids get a few runs in the A-League at the end of games or as makeshift FB's due to injuries at all the different clubs and its definitely a majority not a minority of them dont actually go on to be established A-League players.

The majority end up in NPL Football or perhaps going to a lesser league in Asia or somewhere however some on here cant seem to get their head around that fact.

I have nothing against the kids getting thrown into the deep end so we can see if they can play and I am as happy as anyone when they can prove they can play like Eli, Goodwin or now Meiling but I hate PPL using small samples of game time to make these ridiculous grand predictions or statements to start these players over established players who by and large have performed well for the club.

But Cadete, that's because they all only get a few runs at the end of games or as makeshift FBs. It's those damn VISA players taking all their spots.

#startMarino #standupforouryoof

• Like 1

The concept of putting a player good enough to start on the bench for their impact is not a new one.  The first coach I saw do this was the maestro, Hiddink.  Sure was an eye opener.  The impact of Kewell vs Uruguay in the must win home clash in 2006 comes to mind, as does the amazing brace of Cahill, against Japan in another must win game in Kaiserlautern.  So the concept isn't crazy.  Its the detail that's the problem here.

1. Novillo, the guy seems to be a highly strung confidence player.  He's not a "I'll show you, you bastard" type, who'll come off the bench and have a blinder, odds are he'll sulk and come on and slink around like a pissed off 5 year old.  So putting him on the bench is worse than dropping him I reckon (as you'll been down to 10 players when he comes on).

2. Marino.  The kid's just come back from a bad injury, he probably couldn't play 90 minutes even if the coach asked.  On top of that he's as green as grass, needs some more game time before you'd even think of starting him.

3. I wouldn't even dream of pulling a stunt like this at home, where we have established a fortress.

• Like 2