Melbourne Football

Melbourne City vs Adelaide United - Saturday 23 August, Alice Springs

Murfy1

Agree that it's disappointing how we've matched up against other A-League teams in pre-season. The club in its new era should be able to do better.

But at the same time there are a few things to point out, such as Adelaide fielding their best side, with all the international players they can sign featuring in the game (they may get an Aussie marquee, but the latest reports I've seen suggest it won't come together, so this is their best side). Whilst we don't have David Villa, or our Australian marquee to provide a goal threat, like they will in the season, and we still have a final Visa signing to make, and Koren is still settling in and barely played 60 minutes, and this was the first game where Duff has played 90 minutes (and he was reportedly excellent). So by the time we get Villa or Kennedy, the Visa player, Koren and Duff all playing 90 minutes, those 4 players should make a huge difference, especially with respect to our attack.

I'm maybe more disappointed in how once again the team has conceded a soft goal, in this instance right at the start of the game when the defence was apparently caught napping. Cheap goals can so easily be lethal, and without the attacking players listed above being in our squad and all playing 90 minutes it's difficult to break down a team that's sitting on a lead.

So while I'd much rather the team get some wins in pre-season and give supporters some empirical evidence to be confident ahead of the season, and I especially think now that with the new ownership that the club should be looking much better in pre-season, it is just pre-season, and we are missing numerous key players. Remember that Manchester City FC lost twice in South Africa last pre-season against local sides (0-2 and 1-2!), and then they went on to win the 2013-14 EPL season. So pre-season only means so much. But still, in the future, I fully agree that the club should be showing supporters professional and successful pre-seasons that can get people excited ahead of the proper seasons.

Defence goes sleepies at the start of the game - as usual

We create lots of chances - as usual

We don't score because we can't shoot on target - as usual

We lose yet another pre-season game against HAL opponents - as usual

The more things change the more they stay the same - as usual.

As I've said in other threads, it'll take at least this season to recover from the Aloisi/Sidwell years, we should be back at where we were by the end of season 2

We don't have a single full back in the whole side. We've had 6 bloody months to sign and instead we just convert all our second tier players. Same crap being dished up just in a different color.

So frustrated with the club.

Unusual recruiting in that our game strategy relies on width with attacks from our RB and LB. Key positions. In defence of the franchise we still have time to recruit the right players although even if we find the best in the league they will have missed most of the pre-season. At least it must be clear to JVS that Ramsay is not an answer at LB.

It couldn't help the confidence not winning these types of matches, and it is disappointing as fans to not see any changes to our preseason results compared to all our other seasons.

Regarding what this match means for the season coming up, I still feel optimistic. Even though the presence of Redmayne in goals, Ramsey as a potential left back, weilaert at the back and Williams at the front doesn't give me total confidence in us achieving the heights we are aiming for. But with the potential signing of an australian marquee in Kennedy, compared to every other season we could have potentially the best midfield (Koren/Mooy) we have ever had, the best left winger (Duff) we have ever had and best strikers we have ever had (Villa/Kennedy). In reality this all means shit if we can't put the results on the table, but on paper we are an improved team.

no point having a good midfield & possible attack when both keepers & defence are useless ,most of us know our weakness is our back line, opposing players & managers tactics will be to bypass out midfield with long balls down the wing which will cause panic among our defenders , think to win games we will need to be scoring 3+ goals , not sure if thats going to be a regular occurence !

I agree with you, but remembering we went on an (6 wins in a row???) unbeaten streak with this defence. We have added experience in the team with guys that expect to win and we have a better coach in jvs instead of JA, so I think we have enough little differences that will add up to making a big difference in how we go. My main point is this result against Adelaide doesn't mean we will do anywhere near as badly as what people think we will do.

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

When has JVS ever been able to get a defence working properly for more than a handful games???

Season One he played the best Box to Box midfielder in the comp in Thompson as a make shift CB and put a perfectly suitable CB on the bench. (Beachamp was no world better but he did the job at WSW two years later). :droy:

Season Two his strong priority on Defence saw two teenagers as our CB's and if wasn't for Madaschi falling into our hands for a few weeks and Bolton's Penalty Saving Streak we would have finnished a lot lower. :droy:

Now we are going to go into this season with two blokes who are shit forwards playing as our even shiter fullbacks. :droy:

(FFS not even at best did Aziz lose his ability to leak goals on left and now we are gonna have two of these fuckers playing each week).

But don't worry guys because JVS is Dutch. :up:

Inb4 some shit Kent quotes this during the middle of another pointless JVS minor winning streak which ultimately sees us at Season's end achieve fuck all.

• Like 6

Why these things haven't been sorted yet I don't think anyone outside of the club really knows 100%. One thing I'm pretty sure of though is jvs was never able to do a total clean out of players at the club because: a) it would be too difficult to rebuild a whole squad all at once b ) cfg wouldn't allow that due to the number of players they would have to pay out. Remember with such a small salary cap in this league it doesn't take much for clubs to reach their limit especially when you have 20+ players in the squad. And I sure guys like weialert who are contracted for another season and are on a descent wage that would take a huge cut out of the salary cap will be given the boot once their contract is over.

Regarding the players that have been brought in so far, they are replacing players that have left the club. Duff has taken aziz place and koren has taken engelaars place. Mooy has come in as well which further strengthens our midfield. I reckon with mooy the club didn't hesitate in snatching him up quickly before somebody else does. This brings me back to the salary cap. Once we had filled these positions where we were missing key players I wonder how much was left under the salary cap?? I think at this stage this could possibly be causing the most limitations on us getting better players to come into those positions we feel are not up to scratch.

Regarding jvs firstly I couldn't care less where he's from. This season will give us an accurate indication as to what he can do, so I'll save judgement for him during the season when it actually matters.

Edited by n i k o

An early goal from Adelaide United’s Sergio Cirio sunk Melbourne City FC in an A-League friendly at Anzac Oval in Alice Springs on Saturday afternoon.

However, the score line was not necessarily indicative of the evenness of the contest, with Melbourne City FC enjoying a promising second half.

Adelaide opened the scoring early in the third minute as Melbourne City FC failed to clear a long throw-in from the right from Awer Mabil and Cirio buried the chance at the back post.

Despite the early lapse, Melbourne looked to hit back immediately following a free kick won by international marquee Robert Koren, 20 metres from goal in the sixth minute.

A set-piece routine involving David Williams and Aaron Mooy, which set up Koren, resulted in the Slovenian rocketing an effort into an Adelaide defender, and Josep Gombau’s side quickly regrouped at the back and cleared.

Led by Nigel Boogaard and Dylan McGowan, Adelaide were strong in defence and managed to repel a number of Melbourne’s attacks, while Melbourne also failed to convert when presented with the chance.

John van’t Schip’s side could have equalised in the 12th minute as Mate Dugandzic stripped his opponent of possession and broke forward with Williams, Mooy and Koren ahead of him, but his cut-back missed its target.

Adelaide looked to threaten shortly after as Velaphi was called into action in the 16th minute as a low cross from the left from Cirio troubled Patrick Kisnorbo, and Bruce Djite managed to toe the ball towards goal and goalkeeper Tando Velaphi had to flick the ball to safety.

Duff, who played the full 90 minutes and registered a promising display, almost returned parity to the scoreboard in the 18th minute, executing a powerful cross from the left, which Dugandzic turned on target, but Eugene Galekovic battered the effort away from Adelaide’s goal.

Williams, named captain for the match, was the next Melbourne City FC player to go close to drawing the sides level, angling a shot just wide of Galekovic’s far post after being put through by a clever through-ball over the Adelaide defence from Koren.

The first half ended on a sour note as Adelaide suffered two injuries, with Osama Malik (ankle) and Jordan Elsey (wrist) forced from the field.

The second half proved more positive for van’t Schip’s charges, with Duff proving a menace down the right with his pace and ball control and it was the Irishman’s linking play with Koren which nearly produced a goal two minutes into the second stanza.

Beating his man down the wing, Duff slipped Koren through on goal and with just Galekovic to beat, the marquee’s effort was tame and was easily saved, when the Slovenian should have found a corner past the veteran Adelaide stopper.

Melbourne City FC enjoyed a sustained period of pressure, only interrupted by substitute Marcelo Carrusca’s long-range effort which fizzed over Velaphi’s cross bar, but couldn’t fashion an opening in front of goal when it counted.

Substitutions became a regular occurrence with stoppages in play as both sides made a number of changes; however, Melbourne City maintained the pressure.

Substitute Stefan Mauk nearly profited from great combination play from Duff and Murdocca, but his effort was closed down and he lost the opportunity.

Mauk again turned an effort wide, before a Mooy free-kick was diverted on goal by Williams, but Galekovic was again equal to the task and palmed clear.

Carrusca again tried to change the scoreboard and with 20 minutes to spare his dangerous free-kick was inches away from connecting with Cirio, who looked to snare a second goal for Adelaide.

Despite Melbourne’s pressure, it was United who looked more likely to score as the clock ticked down and only a timely interception by Velaphi at the feet of Isaias prevented Adelaide from doubling its advantage.

Melbourne City FC had one last roll of the dice from a late free-kick and as Ben Garuccio’s initial effort struck the wall, Mooy followed up with a stinging left-foot volley, only to see Galekovic pounce to his right and save another opportunity.

While Melbourne City FC left Anzac Oval defeated, there were a number of positive signs for van’t Schip’s side to take away from the encounter.

Edited by Dylan

Well hopefully this week we sign that DM and Chapman starts training. From memory (maybe someone can help me out) he was actually playing really well until he lost his spot after GVE was sacked? 

I get a feeling all it will take is a couple of defensive tweaks and then it should strengthen significantly (but then again 'defensive lapses' have become a bit of a trademark). We now have Tom King so hopefully he can actually play. 

Edited by Dylan

However, the score line was not necessarily indicative of the evenness of the contest, with Melbourne City FC enjoying a promising second half.

Despite the early lapse, Melbourne looked to hit back immediately

while Melbourne also failed to convert when presented with the chance.

John van’t Schip’s side could have equalised in the 12th minute ... but his cut-back missed its target.

Williams, named captain for the match, was the next Melbourne City FC player to go close to drawing the sides level, angling a shot just wide of Galekovic’s far post

the marquee’s effort was tame and was easily saved

Melbourne City FC enjoyed a sustained period of pressure...but couldn’t fashion an opening in front of goal when it counted.

Despite Melbourne’s pressure, it was United who looked more likely to score 

While Melbourne City FC left Anzac Oval defeated, there were a number of positive signs for van’t Schip’s side to take away from the encounter.

So in summary... We need time to develop the style of play we want to achieve. We were unlucky. At times we played some great football. Very happy with the way they played. If we had buried our chances we would have won the game. Sometimes the best team doesnt win. If the coach was able to sign the players he wanted we would be a much stronger side. We are just a few tweaks away from a top 4 side. etc, etc, etc, etc

The only difference I see from this pre-season and previous ones is that we are wearing different shirts, the team got an overseas trip and it was the opposition that suffered injuries, not us. I dont think all is lost just yet, but fuck me dead, you would think that city would be aiming to make a grand entrance in their first season. Trying to capture everyone's attention and build a foundation fan base early on so that the hard work is done early. The slow burn approach is only going to make things harder for them later on down the track.

• Like 6

I'm not sure how many people have every coached sport or taught before and understand how difficult it is to undo bad habits. Making people unlearn shit concepts, skills and ideas is hard. It's even harder if they have a poor attitude (read this as poor culture in a sports team). We are light years from where we were last season and we will keep improving. It looks like old habits die hard on this forum too(most posters spewing negative shit everywhere). It's pre-season 10 weeks in if we are still copping shit goals not scoring and losing maybe then people can start getting carried away. Until then settle down.

• Like 4

I'm not sure how many people have every coached sport or taught before and understand how difficult it is to undo bad habits. Making people unlearn shit concepts, skills and ideas is hard. It's even harder if they have a poor attitude (read this as poor culture in a sports team). We are light years from where we were last season and we will keep improving. It looks like old habits die hard on this forum too(most posters spewing negative shit everywhere). It's pre-season 10 weeks in if we are still copping shit goals not scoring and losing maybe then people can start getting carried away. Until then settle down.

I understand what you are saying but this has been happening since our inception into the league, not just during JA's reign. Yes JA made it 50 times worse, but its still the same issues that have been plaguing us since JVS's initial coaching period.

I dont think the negative reaction is entirely unwarranted. People are concerned because this is all looking very familiar. 

What KSK said

Look how excited most ppl here were prior to last season with mifsud on board, kewel, OE

Top 4 finish, maybe even higher.

We have seen it all before and have put up with shit play and shit attitude for long enough.

Edited by Jestr

I'm not sure you do know what I'm saying. If you want to establish a program built on attractive attacking football as has been suggested, there is no silver bullet answers. It's easy to sit at the keyboard and bluster about 'seeing it all before' and 'don't accept mediocrity' but what does that even mean? They are throw away Aloisi like statements. Players don't get better from bullshit like this and playing for the shirt. They get better with specific training drills designed to enhance the way the coach wants to play.

What clearly needs to happen is a systematic plan to move us to the panacea of attractive football. Now based on the sheiks record 2 clubs which look to be fairly setup I'd say this exists. Is JVS the best coach in the world no, but they obviously see him as someone that can point the ship in the right direction. My guess and this is based on their other two clubs is that their plan is based around building a culture and a style of football and watching results come as a result of that (in fact they have stated this). In this regard looking for certain indicators like controlling the ball against a possession team like Adelaide is a good sign. It may seem strange based on past experiences but you can lose and play well and achieve some of what you set out to do. This is a problem with a lot of junior sport in this country. Parents teach kids to win the 'easy' way (ie zone defence in junior basketball or hoof ball to the fast skilled striker)and not to play properly because it takes time patience and skilled coaching to develop these things. It seems that many on here are the opposite (reactive epl type fans 3 losses in a row fuck better sack the coach.) This approach has been proven over time to be unsuccessful across many sports.

Is JVS the man to bring us premierships and glory? I don't know maybe not. Does he have valuable knowledge to pass onto young players who I think we will hold onto in the future? Well I think his track record of developing youth speaks for itself. Maybe we won't win next year but overall we are taking a step in the correct direction.

• Like 3

I would never single out JVS or apportion most of the blame towards him as he has to work within constructing barriers in our league.

He has a good track in development of youth, I don't refute that.

My personal critique is aimed clubs laconic style and retention of players which in my eyes have reached maximum of their potential.

He is a leader at the club and I do believe his input to the playing list could have been perhaps a little more clinical (read ruthless)

I do get what you are saying. I completely understand that to build a certain style of play takes time and so on, but we have seen and heard it all before. I am not going to get into a big thing about development of culture and all that,  but when people say they dont want the club to accept mediocrity they are referring to the "we let in a sloppy goal and couldnt finish, but at least there are some positives" attitude. I want someone at the club to grow some balls and address the negatives.

I want someone at the club to get angry for once.

I'm not sure you do know what I'm saying. If you want to establish a program built on attractive attacking football as has been suggested, there is no silver bullet answers. It's easy to sit at the keyboard and bluster about 'seeing it all before' and 'don't accept mediocrity' but what does that even mean? They are throw away Aloisi like statements. Players don't get better from bullshit like this and playing for the shirt. They get better with specific training drills designed to enhance the way the coach wants to play.

What clearly needs to happen is a systematic plan to move us to the panacea of attractive football. Now based on the sheiks record 2 clubs which look to be fairly setup I'd say this exists. Is JVS the best coach in the world no, but they obviously see him as someone that can point the ship in the right direction. My guess and this is based on their other two clubs is that their plan is based around building a culture and a style of football and watching results come as a result of that (in fact they have stated this). In this regard looking for certain indicators like controlling the ball against a possession team like Adelaide is a good sign. It may seem strange based on past experiences but you can lose and play well and achieve some of what you set out to do. This is a problem with a lot of junior sport in this country. Parents teach kids to win the 'easy' way (ie zone defence in junior basketball or hoof ball to the fast skilled striker)and not to play properly because it takes time patience and skilled coaching to develop these things. It seems that many on here are the opposite (reactive epl type fans 3 losses in a row fuck better sack the coach.) This approach has been proven over time to be unsuccessful across many sports.

Is JVS the man to bring us premierships and glory? I don't know maybe not. Does he have valuable knowledge to pass onto young players who I think we will hold onto in the future? Well I think his track record of developing youth speaks for itself. Maybe we won't win next year but overall we are taking a step in the correct direction.

Couldn't agree more. I myself have been a fulltime coach for over 10 years and one thing that commonly happens is that those not involved in sport don't realise it's not as simple as making one big change and everything will be fixed. Making lasting change involves the culmination of making and improving the tiny little differences that will make a big difference. And quite often these tiny differences take time to work and require a lot of repetition. The easiest thing is to sit on the sidelines and criticise, another thing to actually be out there dealing with the many intricacies of being a coach.

Yep - very, very well said...

Couldn't agree more. I myself have been a fulltime coach for over 10 years and one thing that commonly happens is that those not involved in sport don't realise it's not as simple as making one big change and everything will be fixed. Making lasting change involves the culmination of making and improving the tiny little differences that will make a big difference. And quite often these tiny differences take time to work and require a lot of repetition. The easiest thing is to sit on the sidelines and criticise, another thing to actually be out there dealing with the many intricacies of being a coach.

Surely you can see the difference between being the coach of your local side and being a full time professional.

I understand very well the difference, but what does that have to do with the current situation regarding the club?

The difference is that the best can come in an implement massive change in a short time period. And I would have liked it if City made a big statement by getting someone capable of this

I agree with what you're saying but 2 areas where we have always struggled is in having an organised defence (apart from Madaschi) and finishing in the final third. There's no sign of progress in either area. We can't rely on one player (villa) to fix this.

I understand very well the difference, but what does that have to do with the current situation regarding the club?

The difference is that the best can come in an implement massive change in a short time period. And I would have liked it if City made a big statement by getting someone capable of this

That is one of the biggest differences between the best coaches and the rest. But remember that we are a tiny club in the grand scheme of things so I'd assume that your not expecting a mourinho or van gaal to be hired for our club.

That is one of the biggest differences between the best coaches and the rest. But remember that we are a tiny club in the grand scheme of things so I'd assume that your not expecting a mourinho or van gaal to be hired for our club.

Well obviously I wasnt expecting someone of that pedigree, but when we keep the same coach whose best result was once getting us unceremoniously booted from a first round of playoff, and we have seen little in the way of improvements despite having a lot more resources at his disposal surely you can understand peoples frustration/concern. 

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 1

The issue of 'resources' is a vexed one for me. Having better training facilities, better recovery facilities, etc would never have made me a professional footballer - heck a whole batallion of Stephen Danks would have been unsuccessful. Having better quality players will make a difference and having better coaches will also make a difference - as an example from the AFL I give you Collingwood vs North Melbourne. So City has new coaching staff and I consider JVS "new" as in between he had a stint in the Mexican League where Chivas made it to the finals. The club has brought in some quality in Duff and Koren. BUT there are still a lot players from last season, some who given new contracts. So now it comes down to JVS&co to improve these players enough so that they make the top 6. 

• Like 1

I agree with what you're saying but 2 areas where we have always struggled is in having an organised defence (apart from Madaschi) and finishing in the final third. There's no sign of progress in either area. We can't rely on one player (villa) to fix this.

Wielaert whatever else people on here might think is a good organiser. I think we are dealing with a few guys at the back who aren't 'natural' defenders and can't properly fulfil their roles. Ultimately this makes our central defenders look bad as they get pulled out of position. Hoffman for all his improvement and Ramsey are both bit part defenders at best. I agree with your previous statements we need to improve the squad here. I feel in the middle of defence provided both patties are fit we are fine. Our goalkeepers are a joke. Velflapi should be starting of the two though. 

Up front I don't really subscribe to the 'better' finishing idea (I do think we miss to many opportunities like you). Looking at other A-league teams they seem to miss plenty of 'easy' opportunities too. I would prefer to suggest if you give players more and better opportunities to put the ball in the back of the net eventually they will. We all know then confidence breeds confindence. Some guys do however seem to miss more than other guys and simpler opportunities(Mate I'm looking at you). We have had issues getting goals from midfield too. Hopefully Koren, Mauk, Duff and Mooy will all help with this. I'm not sure we will be a powerhouse but I'd expect to see some improvement in these areas this year.

• Like 1